back to article Microsoft quietly emits patch to undo its earlier patch that broke Windows 10 networking

Microsoft has sneaked out a patch to get Windows 10 PCs back online after an earlier update broke networking for people's computers around the globe. Since the end of last week, systems in the UK, US, Europe and beyond have automatically installed software from Microsoft, via Windows Update, that broke DHCP. That means some …

Page:

1. David Black

Re: ,So there's an online fix for not being able to get online?

Couldn't agree more, this is worst half-assed fix description ever.

I've been supporting my elderly father with his windows 10 machine (actually a nice bit of kit, large keyboard for his slightly less agile fingers and a lovely bright clear screen but jesus what a god awful OS) for 18 months now and it's been a total shitefest. As someone who is significantly housebound, Skype is great for him to stay in touch yet 4 times I've now had to remote access the machine to fix it due to whatever the fuck microsoft is doing to a once stable platform. Another update screwed the video driver which was a PITA to fix cause it messed with the remote desktop view too... but in about 3h I got him to execute the right sequence to patch the driver. There was the browser patch that cleared all his cookies... cheers for that, luckilly I kept a text file laying around with everything in it, but still he has to remember and re-type everything. Now this crap. How the fuck am I supposed to remotely fix his machine when it won't connect to the internet??? Sure I'll see him on boxing day when I fly up to see him, but still, now he'll miss seeing the grandkids on Christmas day and his social isolation will be compounded. Either that or I have to pay one of the crappy service places a stupid sum to do microsofts bidding.

Seriously, fuck you microsoft if this is what you do to your customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can you create a live USB of Linux Mint or ZorinOS to try on his equipment? I put Zorin on a neighbours desktop several years ago and other than making sure he's kept up with updates, very easy to do, It's really easy to use.

1. herman

Pretty much *all* Linux install CDs are Live CDs. So download anyone of about ten billion distributions, burn the ISO file to a disk or USB schtick and boot it.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Can you create a live USB of Linux Mint or ZorinOS to try on his equipment?

Whilst this is a good idea, it doesn't go far enough.

From all the available evidence this is an issue with Windows messing up it's runtime configuration. In these instance's the challenge is getting Windows to reset and start up correctly. I mean how do you achieve the same effect as using "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" on a running Windows box from a Live USB?

Given where David Black is coming from, the Live USB needs to be able to control the running of the host OS (treat host OS installed on HDD as a VM?) and provide him with remote maintenance access, also wholly independent of the host OS...

1. mistersaxon

You misunderstand - the Zorin install is to replace WIn10 entirely, not just to get access for patching it. Well, that was my reading of it, the theory being that it doesn't get massively shafted every month in the name of "progress".

2. Jess

Re: supporting my elderly father with his windows 10 machine

Presumably he took your advice in the purchase?

So why does he have a Windows machine?

Every IT person I know (myself included) makes sure every family member or friend that they support for free has a Mac. (Or failing that a PC with Linux mint).

My parents have an old white macbook, after about 10 years it's just getting to the point where they will be thinking of replacing it, I would have expected them to go through 3 or 4 cheap PCs or maybe a couple of decent ones in that time.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

really? Having worked in IT for 20 years I know no one outside of work with a MAC, in our IT department we have 8 of us all HATE anything Apple with a passion

1. Chemist

"Having worked in IT for 20 years I know no one outside of work with a MAC"

You should get out more. I don't use Mac or Windows but I know 5 or 6 at least with a desktop or laptop.

2. Scoobydoobry
            Thumb Up

Also having worked in IT for 20 years, my colleagues and I hate anything Apple in a business environment. The original poster is probably correct in saying he may of had 4 or 5 PC's during the ownership of the older Mac but he would of been able to afford them as Apple prices are ridiculous. They cannot these days be fixed or upgraded outside of the Apple store, which by the way, everything has to go back to!! Every tried getting an appointment urgently?

I'm not saying Windows is perfect....far from it. But for me, the cheaper equipment costs, the ability to maintain and upgrade "in -house" beats the "shiny-shiny" factor hands down.

Mac's may work well for a home/single user but networked in a mixed OS environment, they are about as much use as t*ts on a nun!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Mac's may work well for a home/single user but networked in a mixed OS environment, they are about as much use as t*ts on a nun!

I beg to differ. I've worked in quite a few places that use Windows and Macs. It just takes a bit of work and learning to integrate the two. If you can't manage that then you really, really don't belong in IT.

1. herman

...and where I work, there are many 'Engineering' laptops that run some sort of Linux. When the Windows drones complain about not being able to do something, we just nod and carry on working.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"he may of had" -> "he may have had"

Because that one actually means something.

3. sqlrob

Really? You don't know anyone outside of works that uses https regularly? Wow.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Having worked in IT for 20 years I know no one outside of work with a MAC

That's not working in IT for 20 years - that's repeating one year for 20 years..

I bet you've never used linux, BSD or Solaris either. Must be sad and lonely to be so inexperienced.

5. herman

It sounds like you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. Nobody pays me to fix my own machine, or those of my parents, so we are all using Macs and the support issues are practically zero.

6. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Having worked in IT for 20 years I know no one outside of work with a MAC, in our IT department we have 8 of us all HATE anything Apple with a passion"

And do you have a reason for that?

Or is it like football rivalry? You have to HATE the others.. Just because..

A modern mac is a Unix machine with a very slick UI. Much more thought though than any other Unix machine so far, including the Linux ones. But you pay for the privilege, which is why I only run an older Mac Mini. But macOS runs much faster on the ageing Core 2 Duo than Windows does on the equivalent platform -and sadly most Linux distros are bloated and nothing like I remember Linux used to be.

If you don't want to have to pick a Linux distro, and just want something that just works, I'd say go for a Mac.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

My parents have an old white macbook, after about 10 years it's just getting to the point where they will be thinking of replacing it,

If your parents are in their 80's then enjoy the fun and games of upgrading them :)

People in this age group, whilst not unable to learn do prefer to use stuff and methods they are familiar with - hence why when migrating from Windows to Linux say, it is helpful to provide them with a desktop and application suite that provide a similar UI to whichever version of Windows and applications they've been using.

3. TheDataRecoverer

pick an alternative mechanism.....http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fed-up-with-skype-here-are-6-of-the-best-free-alternatives Set him up a google hangout, or whatever: skye isn't the only game in town here!

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Alternatives to skype

If the requirement is VoIP, then get something reliable. Ekiga runs on a Pi.

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: Alternatives to skype

The problem with not using Skype is that everyone you want to talk to does use Skype.

If the grandkids say, Grandma why don't you use Skype, then you get your ears bent because the PC you set up for her doesn't use Skype.

It's also the case that abominations like flash on websites (which of course should be outlawed) exist and are easier to deal with in Windows.

If I knew my mother would only do things which worked on Linux I'd have setup her PC using Linux. My bother and I both work in Linux and would find it much easier. But she also gets very useful help from grand kids, and they don't work with Linux.

Windows is what most people use because it is what most people use.

I wish it wasn't, I wish there was something much simpler that just worked.

Facetime is not the answer unless all the people you talk to are also Apple users. As my mother knew 70 or more years ago, when your house is the only one in the village with a telephone you can't use it to talk to anyone else in the village.

2. chas49

And how will alternatives to Skype work when his computer can't connect? Do they come with a free pair of tin cans and a ball of string?

4. TVU Silver badge

"...Sure I'll see him on boxing day when I fly up to see him, but still, now he'll miss seeing the grandkids on Christmas day and his social isolation will be compounded. Either that or I have to pay one of the crappy service places a stupid sum to do microsofts bidding.

Seriously, fuck you microsoft if this is what you do to your customers."

I am sorry that this happened to your father and this is the downside of poor testing and quality control of updates (and indeed Win 10 itself) by Microsoft.

My constructive suggestion is to look at installing Linux (no cost), using Chrome OS on a Chromebook (modest cost) or getting a 2015 Macbook Pro (high cost and not the 2016 version).

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I've been supporting my elderly father with his windows 10 machine"

"with his windows 10 machine"

"windows 10"

What did you expect? Windows 10 to not Auto Update?

This is like you wanted a can of worms, but you also wanted the worms to stay in the can when opened.

Seriously, unless you want this to happen again and again, you really should change some settings or use another OS (windows 7/8, linux, macOS, windows 10 enterprise).

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Coat

"And just HOW, precisely, would I get the fix on a computer that can't go online to get the fix?"

Boot off a USB stick containing a live Linux distribution[1], connect to wifi[2], and then download the fix file and save it to a second USB stick. Reboot, copy and patch.

[1] Canonical will sell you a USB stick with Ubuntu on it for a fiver. There are many others, including Tails.

[2] OK, perhaps a cable into the router if the computer does not have wifi or has a proprietary driver that isn't widely available on Linux yet - fairly rare.

Coat: mine's the one with the bootable USB drive with Debian non-free live on it AND a netgear USB wifi adaptor that does not require any firmware.

1. Kiwi
        Linux

Boot off a USB stick containing a live Linux distribution[1], connect to wifi[2], and then download the fix file and save it to a second USB stick. Reboot, copy and patch.

Better yet.. 1 Boot Live USB, 2 connect Wifi/LAN, 3 click on that nice "Install" icon and 4 (10 minutes later) have a nice secure OS that'll save you time, money and follicles.

3. grumpy-old-person

The only way to retain one's sanity is to abandon Windows completely - if you can't, then use Windows in VirtualBox for the miserable things that only work on Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is clearly the year of Microsoft on the desktop.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So why, oh why do you still trust these clowns?

It's not clear which Windows Update patch caused the cockup, as Microsoft is deliberately vague about the contents of each upgrade on its website, and the Redmond giant refused to say which download was the culprit.

If you are in need of platform security to protect, say, business confidentiality or customer details, would you really feel comfortable with what oozes out of Redmond, especially now they've gone extra opaque "to protect the customers themselves" (I corrected their marketing with what reality there)? You have no clue what's going to happen next - every single update could take down if not your company (because you're forced to commit extra resources to thoroughly test each patch without even knowing what you're testing for), then your customers, and guess who they'll blame?

That said, those who didn't notice the wake-up call called Vista many years ago and then the reasons that gave Windows 10 the nick name "Slurp" probably deserve what they get. It's not like they haven't had enough warning by now..

1. Halfmad

Re: So why, oh why do you still trust these clowns?

Thing is it's getting worse with the cumulative patching adopted by Microsoft. I know in the NHS it's caused problems with various clinical systems so CCGs/Trusts/Boards are forced to either run a few months behind security patch wise and hope someone else spots the problem, run ludicrously expensive testing of clinical systems in-house and maybe run a month behind or patch and cross their fingers.

At least with previous updates we could remove the offending patch, now MS are less likely to tell us which it was and even if they did we'd have to remove the entire cumulative patch instead.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Wake-up call

How many wake up calls were there?

Mine was:

Install Linux, copy /home from old disk, copy a few config files backups from /home/backup to /. New Linux machine complete with a tested recovery procedure in under an hour. Never needed to do a full restore.

Install Windows 95. [Install driver, reboot]x5. Do not install two drivers in a row without rebooting. Failure to comply will require re-installing Windows 95. With practice, I got this down to 11 hours + time required to install software (just games, I did not trust Windows with valuable data).

A more modern example would be Microsoft repeatedly screaming that the value of Windows 10 to users was £0. They phrased that statement as: "Do not click the x to avoid a secret upregrade to 10 when you are not watching."

3. Len Goddard

Emergency boot partition

Just goes to show the initial windoze installation process is borked. It misses the step at the end :

"Now install a linux dual-boot partition so that you still have access to the internet to find out why your windoze system won't do what it should"

This is supposing you have some really good reason to be using Windoze to start with, like gaming or perhaps gaming?

1. gv

Re: Emergency boot partition

The correct way to run Windows, should you need to, is as a virtual machine in some other (non-Windows) operating system.

1. JulieM Silver badge

I've actually been thinking of running the WIndows 10 that most probably will come free with my next laptop whether I want it or not, as a VM under the Ubuntu (yes, with Unity; I am the one person, apparently, who actually likes it) Linux that I am definitely going to install on it, just for a laugh and carry-on.

I mean, if they are going to make me pay for it, I might as well see if I can make some sort of use of it, right? A virtual machine that can be restored from a pristine image at any time and with strictly limited access to hardware sounds like a fairly safe environment for running Windows software, after all .....

1. keithpeter Silver badge
          Windows

"(yes, with Unity; I am the one person, apparently, who actually likes it)"

@JulieM: it's reverse Streisand syndrome. Only the ones who hate Unity mention it at all. The happy bunnies just get on with their work.

(I'm the one who likes Gnome 3).

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Clueless newby (to any Windows after 98) question: What if my new Windows VM tries to get an IP address via DHCP?

3. Howard Long

Indeed... except (a) some software is specifically not supported on VMs and (b) neither is some hardware (many peripheral PCIe cards for example).

While VMs are a great solution for many things they are not a universal panacea.

1. JulieM Silver badge

How does the software even know it is running in a VM? Surely a perfect implementation should be indistinguible from bare metal, by any test that can be performed in software totally within the VM?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, the emergency Linux boot partition is only the penultimate step. The ultimate step is to then ask yourself "why the fuck am I booting into Windows when I could boot into Linux instead - something which works and doesn't cost me money?" Which is the reason you'll never see the installation process adopt your suggestion.

3. Carl D

"Now install a linux dual-boot partition so that you still have access to the internet to find out why your windoze system won't do what it should"

Funny how I received twice as many downvotes as upvotes (10/5) when I mentioned this in another topic.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/12/14/reschedule_holiday_party_its_patch_tuesday/#c_3054097

The only difference is, of course, that my Windows 7 doesn't have Internet access. Ever.

I'm guessing the MS fanboys must have been out in force earlier... getting their trolling out of the way before this month's Patch Tuesday offerings bork their machines... again. Especially if they're using the abomination known as Windows 10.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Dan McIntyre

Updating my Dell Ultrabook via TeamViewer now. I've turned the mobile connection on, just in case.

5. Dan McIntyre

I'm glad I did turn mobile back on. It's lost DHCP and is now downloading yet another update over a 4G connection.

6. Adam 52 Silver badge

"after some not-so-gentle persuasion by El Reg this week, there's finally a solution in sight"

Much as we all love El Reg, I expect the BBC News story had more influence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't think it was the Reg or the BBC .... my VirginMedia broadband status says

" We are aware that some customers using windows PCs are having issues getting online following a Microsoft Windows 10 update. We are in contact with Microsoft about this issue and will provide further updates as soon as possible.

Our engineer is working to fix the problem."

So ... looks like VM deployed their engineer to address this and I can only assume that he fixed it!

7. lukewarmdog

Rebooting

So I turned my wifes PC off and on again after staring at it for the requisite amount of time and realising it wasn't going to fix itself and all the things I'd just tried hadn't worked.

Fine after a first reboot.

Couple of days later same thing on my own machine. My machine is a bit more annoying as it's a floor down from the router so not as easy to keep an eye on whether connectivity has returned or not. Again, after checking all the cables were fine I just ended up rebooting and was fine.

The previous article to this says that rebooting doesn't always work but my experience from this was that it did the trick on those two machines.

As for "how am I meant to patch this when I can't get online?" - this is no different to those times when your network card driver would go kaput and you'd need to download a new / updated one. The good old days were just as bad and it hasn't always been Microsoft's fault.

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: Rebooting

"As for "how am I meant to patch this when I can't get online?" - this is no different to those times when your network card driver would go kaput and you'd need to download a new / updated one. "

in the good old days I'd just rollback the previous update... Or failing that hunt down a recovery floppy/bootable CD/USB stick with Linux on it. Thankfully this still works today. :)

8. tblacklock1972

Turning the (cork)screw

"It's all part of riding Microsoft's new operating system updates rollercoaster."

Can I get off now please? I'm feeling a bit queasy.

1. Nolveys

Re: Turning the (cork)screw

The ride never ends.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Turning the (cork)screw

The ride never ends.

It's the gift that keeps on giving. Like herpes or genital warts.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like