back to article Privacy is theft! Dave Eggers' big-screen takedown of Google and Facebook emerges

The Circle, Dave Eggers' novel about a society dominated by an omniscient, cult-like Silicon Valley internet company, has been given the big-screen treatment, with the trailer emerging this week. The movie's promo site has a witty parody of the "onboarding" process for a web platform – enjoy the unreadable EULA as it flashes …

Page:

1. A K Stiles
    Black Helicopters

How many people

I wonder how many people who watch this film will be

"Unsubscribe from all the social medias now!!!"

and how many will be

"Phew - glad I don't live in that reality"

funny, we don't usually get helicopters around here at this time of day...

2. Ilsa Loving

"This is a satire of Silicon Valley ideology, "

I'm not so sure that it's just satire. This seems to be exactly what's happening. And people seem to be happy to do it so long as they continue to get their free smurfberries or whatever choice valueless illusionary commodity being offered.

1. Ole Juul

Re: "This is a satire of Silicon Valley ideology, "

It's not satire. It's similar to scientology and people actually internalise those values. Besides, if it was satire, the trailer wouldn't have made me vomit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is all has its roots in 'elite' hubris and state corruption.

Firstly, why no HTTPS Register? [mod note – we're always working on it, it's being tied into internal and external redesigns for mobile we're working through, we've gotta get the ad networks to play ball, PDFs and images are already on HTTPS, etc etc etc etc. We want HTTPS as much as you do]

Yes, social media corporations are becoming more insidiously evil, but this has Marx, Edward Bernays and state origins, and is partly a consequence of the abuse of the corporation model, into permanent and psychopathic 'person' businesses; the state privilege of a corporation should have continued to be for only time limited, specific, larger scale, public projects only, with corporation termination triggers for misbehaviour or non-viability.

Political Correctness, Third Wave Feminism and other insidious Marxist Frankfurt School ('elite' backed) sabotage of culture in legislation, 'education' and mainstream media, and Edward Bernays invented Marketing (aka Propaganda) caused Consumerism has made people more stupid, so that they will foolishly accept abusive commercial contract terms and governments don't do enough to prevent this exploitation, partly because they are stupid and corrupt.

There are also strong suggestions that most of the big 'social' media platforms had/have either indirect US spy agency start-up funding/investment or executive collusion with these state spy agencies, so may be at least partly US state spy agency "Wolves" to attract sucker customers to willingly spy on themselves, rather than state spy agencies having the greater expense of a Stasi-like informer network, monitoring and interrogation!

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: This is all has its roots in 'elite' hubris and state corruption.

You know, I didn't know that mods could edit posts...

1. William 3 Bronze badge

Welcome the future.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Political Correctness, Third Wave Feminism.. yadda yadda... has made people more stupid,

You're not wrong on the second bit....

3. Terrance Brennan

Take a chill pill, Bill.

4. getHandle

Gillan, Watson, Hanks, Boyega, Paxton...

I'm in! What was it about?

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Gillan, Watson, Hanks, Boyega, Paxton...

.. you had me at "Gillan" .....

5. fidodogbreath
    Pint

Braver, newer world

Company rallies reinforce the ideology through chanting "sharing is caring" and "privacy is theft."

"Ford, we are twelve; oh, make us one / Like drops within the Social River; / Oh, make us now together run / As swiftly as thy shining Flivver."

Huxley was all over this sh!t in 1932.

"One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them."

(Beer, because the stupid Epsilons f-cked up my Soma delivery AGAIN.)

6. William 3 Bronze badge

Checks number of tracking cookies and javascript tracking on this web page.

Seems legitimately ironic.

1. fredesmite

Re: Checks number of tracking cookies and javascript tracking on this web page.

What was the ghost count ?

7. Yugguy

Headlong? Not me

What a lot of these stories have in common is the basic assumption that everyone in the world will accept these technologies without thinking.

A great percentage of us do not however.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Headlong? Not me

er, where "great" here, really means about 10%? Most people consider FB just part of the social fabric.

8. David 18

Justice done?

Watching that trailer gives me hope that the film will do justice to a book I thoroughly enjoyed - that rarely happens.

the scariest thing about the story is that I know plenty of the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" brigade who would see it as a future to aspire to!

9. fredesmite

Sciencetology meets Google

Too close to REAL LIFE !!!

10. mykingdomforanos
    Pirate

Discombobulating grindstones

I've attended a couple of Larry Lessig's talks here in the UK, I've listened to his presentations and panel contributions on YouTube and elsewhere and I've read multiple articles by him. I've never heard or read anything that makes me believe he wants to end individual privacy, that he believes our personal lives and experiences somehow rightfully belong on the servers of big tech.

Perhaps the noise of the axe the author is perennially attempting to grind has caused him to confuse Larry Lessig's views with those of Jeff Jarvis?

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Discombobulating grindstones

Straw man alert.

Larry has never defended strong individual property rights. They're an obstacle on the road to his frictionless utopian. Perhaps you need to put your own prejudices aside here?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like