back to article systemd free Linux distro Devuan releases second beta

The self-proclaimed “Veteran Unix Admins” forking Debian in the name of init freedom have released Beta 2 of their “Devuan” Linux distribution. Devuan came about after some users felt it had become too desktop-friendly. The change the greybeards objected to most was the decision to replace sysvinit init with systemd, a move …

Page:

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"The above curtailed message was found in a bathub in the basement of a building called 'The Linux User Group'. Nobody in modern times can make sense of it, even the Great NT tried to analyze it but to no avail."

1. Jim-234

Possibly being pushed by commercial support interests?

I keep having this feeling that the whole Systemd being forced down people's throats might be being "helped" by certain entities that make large sums of money from "support subscriptions" for their various Linux flavours.

Something like:

"Well now your boot is messed up and you can't fit it because of course you can't get Systemd to say anything useful to a human... but send us $500 and we'll have one of our "techs" (script readers from India) help you resolve the problem in less than 100 hours".

Or perhaps someone just though that Microsoft was onto something great with an easily messed up registry with millions of unknown lines in it & thought since we are already trying this "flat" "modern" interface from MS, why not mess up boot with it.

I really prefer setups where an intelligent human can actually see what some software is trying to do when it messes up & I hate everything being dependent on some big giant ball of mush that someone says I should just use because they say so.

My plan is to stick with Mint 17.3 as long as possible till Devuan is mature enough to change over to.

2. Stevie

Bah!

Great idea.

Lamest name for a Linux distro ever.

3. Colin Tree

hello Devuan

I used Debian for many years, but went to Slackware to avoid systemd.

Great now I can get back to reliable dependencies and security updates.

Regarding Jim's conspiracy theories, I feel it is to shove DRM into our free OS.

4. JJ780

I agree... SystemD is a yoke

I agree about the DRM aspect. There must be a number of other entities that fear Linux and are seeking a way to corral it. How many of them are customers of RedHat?

... a sad joke on us.

5. i1ya
    Trollface

Paraphrasing...

Once it was said "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM equipment". Seeing all these comments, I can guess that current motto of Regs' (also /. and HN) Linux community is "nobody ever got downvoted for bashing systemd". P.S. Someone, please create Devuan/SystemD fork. For true init freedom. And of course for lulz.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Paraphrasing...

No need, Devuan will let you install systemd _if you specifically ask it to_.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

level playing fields suck

It worked well with Centos 7 servers and desktops, There were some minor learning curve issues. Some were related to the older systemd version packaged with particular C7.x releases. Some differences in upgrading from C6 to C7. All in the fond and distant past.

Now, with De Facto standardized Linux init, kids in bangalore running any popular distro have learnt to manage servers. Never mind the other hard long-standing inconsistencies systemd resolves.

Advice to graybeards - do not let systemd get a toe in the door. Make sure only *you* can write and understand *your* init scripts on *your* servers.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: level playing fields suck

Most probably the opposite actually. Kids in Bangalore were already quite proficient with sysV or whatever, now with the absolute mess that systemd creates across the whole system (not just init) they can't do graymarket support anymore and people have to turn to Red Hat's own support contracts. Ho hey, look at who is Lennart's employer. Surely a pure coincidence.

1. Charles 9

Re: level playing fields suck

But what about all the other mainline distros? Are you saying ALL of them are acting in a cartel?

7. travisgriggs@gmail.com

As a novice/accolyte level admin of embedded linux, I have to say that I've actually liked systemd. For me, it brings some consistency and structure to the whole thing. With sysvinit, I was always left parsing a bunch of clever bash scripts, all nearly alike, but some times not quite the same. If there's anything "crufty" about systemd, it is that on a debian system, it's not a complete implementation, because of the legacy of all of the old stuff. So I end up having to navigate systemd, legacy sysvinit, and having to figure out when I should be where. I honestly look forward to the day all the sysvinit stuff is just gone.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like