back to article Microsoft just got its Linux Foundation platinum card, becomes top level member

Microsoft has joined The Linux Foundation as a Platinum member, the highest level of membership. The news was announced at the company's Connect developer event in New York. The Linux Foundation is a non-profit trade association which supports and promotes the Linux operating system and related projects, including Node.js, Xen …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Software developers are a one-night stand

"It's like you're going out with a girl; forgive me, it goes the other way also. You're going out with a girl, what you really want to do is have a deep, close and intimate relationship, at least for one night. And, you know, you just can't let her feel like that, because if you do, it ain't going to happen, right. So you have to talk long term and white picket fence and all these other wonderful things, or else you're never going to get what you're really looking for." ref

2. Captain Badmouth
    Paris Hilton

Surely not?

My chemistry education tells me that Platinum is highly tarnish resistant.

Paris : Not so easily tarnished either?

3. JLV
    Paris Hilton

Funny thing (I'll withhold any opinion on embrace/e/e...) is that, on one hand, MS seems to have finally started growing up on the backend/tooling and is willing to play with others. If done well, and not just self-servingly, this should restore some goodwill from at least some IT pros.

(I realize there are folks who just say no to MS and that's fine, but they are not whom I am talking about).

On the front end however, which is where the vast majority of users see them, they act way more stubborn and aloof than they ever did before, even in the monopoly days. Win 10 forced upgrade/telemetry/ribbons, etc... The same type of people who would never have understood why IT pros bitched about MS in the 90s are now badmouthing MS themselves.

Or voting with their wallet. Many Joe Schmoe users that can afford it are buying Macs, savvy ones are on Linux and their mobile market share is a rounding error.

Why is it that this 'new MS' can do deep tooling changes, but can't be bothered to act nicely towards its end users and actually listen to what they want?

If they have the level of humility and practicality to join the Linux Foundation, why not bring back menus? Or stop telemetry? How much of a 'development effort' would that be???

1. Mark 110

Do you really want the menus back? I'd kind of forgotten all that faffing about in endless menu trees looking for what I wanted was ever a thing. I hated the change at first (in Office) and was baffled by the design decisiions in Win8 (not intuitiive - had to invent ways to avoid the weird bits) but I have never had an issue with the Windows 10 GUI. They did listen and fixed it in Win10. It even works reasonably well when I switch to Tablet mode.

The Office GUI is quicker and easier than the old one. Just works. Ribbons are better than menu trees. Hated them at first, as I say, but these days I appreciate the ease of accessing certain things that used to be buried 4 menus deep from the task bar.

Agree on the telemetry. There should have been a clear opt in/out menu on install.

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Ribbons and Menu Trees have different use-cases, and each can be the best choice in different circumstances. So I would not say one is 'better' than the other without qualifying the context within which it is better.

That said, what is bad is foisting one those methods on users who are habituated to the other. Providing a choice is good, then people can decide what works best for them; or explicitly give permission for someone else to make the decision for them. Taking things that they are used to away from people is often unpopular.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"If they have the level of humility and practicality to join the Linux Foundation"

Humility? Linux Foundation? Look at the names of the other members and tell me who's humble in there. OK, Samsung might have been humbled a bit recently, but the others?

4. Norman Nescio Silver badge

"It's a trap!"

Microsoft have a history when it comes to joining organisations. While Microsoft may well say that it is different this time, I would advise anyone dealing with Microsoft, whether in a committee, or via a contractual relationship to be very, very careful. When one sups with the Devil, one is advised to use a very long spoon.

As Microsoft are not a charitable philanthropic organisation, somebody in Microsoft has a sound business case for Microsoft becoming a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation. We can only speculate what the business case is, but one thing is sure: it is for the benefit of Microsoft, and any benefits for the Linux Foundation are a side-effect. The question I would ask is whether it is in Microsoft's interest that the Linux Foundation thrives, and what are the consequences of Microsoft having influence in a thriving Linux Foundation?

5. skydome

systemd

Great, now Microsoft can contribute to systemd to speed up making it feature complete clone of svchost.

6. Dr Fidget

So Microshaft is also going to show its love for Linux by ending the threat to sue over patent infringements when it won't say what those infringements are?

When words and actions disagree - believe the actions

7. adam payne

Microsoft has joined The Linux Foundation.

Never though that would happen.

8. Adair Silver badge

The Linux Foundation - it's done!

Somebody, stick a fork in it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Why do I hear....

The Doors playing the opening lines of "The End" ?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like