back to article Bacon is not my vodka friend

Bacon infused vodka may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but selling this improbable beverage in Oklahoma could land you in hot water. This we learned today from the woes of Colin Grizzle - yes, really - a manager at the Pump bar in Oklahoma city, who was charged with maintaining a disorderly house after bottles of infused vodka …

Page:

1. Vector
      WTF?

Say wha...huh?

"Okie" was the derogatory term used during the dustbowl for migrants from Oklahoma to California. Folks there might like to be called Sooners, but they're far more likely to be called Okies.

The only term I've ever heard for folks from the Ozark Mountains (and I grew up 'round there) is "hillbilly."

2. Mark 85

Huh.... I guess you best talk to Merle Haggard about that.... err... nope, he's dead.

Try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okie_from_Muskogee_(song)

1. Mephistro

He, you beat me to it!

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Okie is a strange place

Better carry your birth certificate withyou at all times.

If you use a public restroom you might be challenged just in case you were a transgendered person daring to use the room that is NOT the one of their birth sex.

A M-to-F persone would still have to use the Male restroom even if they were legally a woman.

The same goes for North Carolina. Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen cancelled some gigs earlier this year in NC because of this crazy bathroom law.

Gotta protect the crazies from seeing our wimmin!

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Okie is a strange place

Gotta protect our wimmin from seeing something more interesting...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Infusion is illegal in a lot of US states

But if you want bacon vodka, never fear, that's available on the market already made:

http://www.bakonvodka.com/

3. x 7

so if you wanted to make Sloe gin (or vodka) you'd be breaking the law? Stupid

4. Oengus

If you have bacon in your vodka you are doing something wrong... If the bacon is good enough to infuse in Vodka you should be grilling and eating it. Now trapping the smoke/aromas coming off the cooking bacon and bubbling that through the Vodka - now there's an idea...

5. jukejoint

So proud of my country I could weep!

"You're doing fine Oklahoma!

Oklahoma, OK!!!"

(When will the tears stop? Crying as I type...)

6. YumDogfood

The best cocktail in the world...

Ordered by my missus in Oklahoma City (we were doing a cross Murica road trip from GA to CA.) It had some French liqueur in it, violets or something. Very well balanced, delicate, not too sweet or overpoweringly boozy. Perfection, IMHO.

The bar was banging out G n' R, which we danced to, and... and... my memory fails after that point.

As to the bemusement of Brits encountering the strips of lard called bacon here in the USA, I finally figured it out! You gently heat strips of the things until the lard melts off. Then turn the heat up a bit. Decamp the crispy jerky impersonators to a paper towel to soak off the excess. Crack in egg or two into the lake o' lard and fry as usual. Fried bread optional. The lard imparts flavo(u)r[1] and is good hearty morning scram, or a general purpose day after bear soaker. Note: Don't use the really cheap "bacon", go to Whole Wallet and splash out for something that is not 100% subcutaneous oinker fat.

[1] Transitioning between spellings I am.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon