back to article 'Windows 10 nagware: You can't click X. Make a date OR ELSE'

According to a complaint from a reader, Microsoft’s Windows 10 nagware campaign has entered a new phase, with options to evade or escape an upgrade vanishing. Recently, Microsoft’s policy had been to throw up a dialogue box asking you whether you wanted to install Windows 10. If you clicked the red “X” to close the box – the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow...

Huhu.. You are so funny. Oh, no, I meant: go back to YouTube.

1. Can't think of anything witty...

i managed to kill GWX on a Windows 7 machine a while back... killed the process then uninstalled it in updates.. there are two or three updates that contain GWX, if you uninstall them and mark them never to be reinstalled, i think that keeps it at bay.

certainly not had any notifications pop up since.

1. lybad

You're lucky - I've hidden them several times, and they keep coming back.

Gave up eventually and ran Never10. I dual boot my PC, and if it wasn't for gaming, I would have been linux only for years.

2. 404

re: Can't think of anything witty...

I've had many client machines magically unmark themselves and set that damn icon again - latest GWX Control Panel does a much better job now fyi.

Side story: Recently had reason to visit a local bank for a scanning issue (network, it's always network damnit) and they had Windows 10 Pro installed throughout their network. Quizzed their IT people about telemetry issues and they gave me blank stares... That's three banks I won't do business with due to security issues - almost afraid to look too deeply any more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Not just Vista, Win7 as well, I found out last night that my parents PC popped this up LAST WEEK. They switched it off and havent used it since.

Then yesterday afternoon, IT SWITCHED ITSELF ON AND PERFORMED THE UPDATE!!

Luckily, an anti virus scan also occurred that stopped it rebooting (it stalled trying to read WindowsSystem32 folder), so there was time for me to talk mum through using Never10. Finally allowed it to reboot, and got the Win7 desktop.

I then talked her through disabling Win Update.

3. Stoneshop
      Mushroom

Vista is end of life, so is this upgrade mandatory because Vista itself is no longer supported?

Upgrades can only be mandatory in cases that require vendor support.

There's no-one stopping me from running VMS 5.4 on a MVAX 2000 (provided the bloody thing starts up in the first place), but I can't go calling Digital Compaq HP HPE when it bugchecks.

Never mind that it would be useless to call HPE anyway, given their appalling lack of knowledge regarding VMS.

1. GregC

Pretty soon the only way to get rid of it without downupgrading will be taskkill /f /im gwx.exe

Mind you, wouldn't put it past the bastards to assume that even that means "Yay! Upgrade me!".....

1. Paul Shirley

...you missed the report of 4 separate processes guarding each other. Not much chance you'll taskkill them all before they relaunch each other :(

1. Charles 9

Not even if chained together in a single line with ampersands?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Coat

Kill one of the processes, then rename its file before it relaunches - rinse and repeat - or will that 'break' Windows? ;)

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

From previous articles ...

First the (up|down|re)grade to 10 is scheduled, then you used to have some chance at cancelling it. If you successfully kill the process telling you what Microsoft have decided, it happens anyway when you are not watching.

(Warning: My last significant contact with Windows was in 1998, so get advice from someone else if you cannot switch to Linux.)

3. energystar
      Trollface

GregC, What if gwx.exe start on 'yes! now!' presets?

[Better enrollment if renamed to gwxxx.exe]

4. Adam 1

The next version of gwx will be renamed to taskkill.exe. It will have some optional switches though, like /F(orce) and /IM(mediately).

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

What date is good for you?

We're asking you to be polite but we're going to update you tonight anyway because our lawyers have advised us that nobody who can do anything about it actually gives a fuck.

3. Peter Prof Fox

I need info

Dear Reg,

I'm getting more pestered by worried friends who look to me for help. Can somebody tell me the instructions to pass on to them, over the telephone, at the next scare-screen-of-doom?

Also, isn't it bang-to-rights illegal? Surely a government spokesman has something to say on swathes of the nation's infrastructure being hijacked, thousands of people being terrorised by these tentacles.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: I need info

TeamViewer if you can't go there, GWX Control Panel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

TeamViewer ROFL!!!

Has this been posted by one of the hackers???

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Use Never10 from grc.com - it's easy and n00b-friendly. Also it's a short URL, which always helps when explaining over the phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Direct link is :

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

...or if you're doing it over the phone and hit the main page it's in:

freeware --> utilities --> Never 10

1. Not That Andrew

NEVER use anything from that shyster Gibson. GWX Control Panel is a better option

3. User McUser

I just revoked the System's and Administrator's NTFS permissions on the GWX folder which blocks it quite nicely.

4. Swiss Anton

I reckon a good lawyer could do M$ (at least in the UK) under the Computer Misuse Act 1990.

Section 3 of said act seems to cover it for me

"A person is guilty of an offence if—

.(a)

he does any unauthorised act in relation to a computer;

"

(See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/18/section/3)

The trouble is M$ can afford much, much, much better lawyers that the CPS.

1. Charles 9

They'll just argue they're authorized (1) because at the end it's their software and their copyright and (2) you gave consent by installing their OS.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

There is a few inches in that shaft left I see.

No lubricants?

Suits you, sir (or madam, as the case may be).

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

Re: There is a few inches in that shaft left I see.

"No lubricants?"

curari-tipped wrought iron fence and no lubricant.

5. Rory B Bellows

Not Vista

"One Reg reader grabbed the below screenshot from a relative's PC on Windows Vista."

Vista is not eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade and doesn't get those pop ups. The screen shot looks more like Windows 7 to me.

End of extended support for Vista is April 11th 2017...

1. Jones
      Joke

Re: Not Vista

Agreed. Never trust a guy who's got the Norton Toolbar in his browser!

2. MT Field

I can confirm we got a free upgrade for Vista laptop. The system was screwed previously by malware and the hardware barely supported the original system. Its a core 2 duo which I think is (just) 64-bit. Still haven't applied the USB stick update yet.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The system was screwed previously by malware and the hardware barely supported the original system. "

On the bright side: Just as 7 runs better on such systems than Vista did, 10 also runs better.

Lubuntu runs even better still. :)

1. MT Field

Yeh I already run Xenial with MATE on my machine - but this lappy belongs to the missus and she has certain software packages that only run on Windaz.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Vista is not eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade"

Look to see that "free upgrade" extended to everything.

4. Havin_it
      Alert

Shitballs. Is that concrete that Vista is in the firing line? I have a manager's BYOD lappy that's on it (yeah, I know, don't start) and I don't have ready access to it to do preventative measures. I'll have to -- oh gods -- talk them through it on the phone! /dies a little inside

Is this authoritatively factual?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I can understand not waning to support multiple OS

But there are WAY to many complexities with forcing an upgrade onto hardware you don't know. If I were a group of small businesses, I might consider class action if MS hoses my productivity with there one-size-fits-all BS.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I can understand not waning to support multiple OS

"Not wanting to support multiple OS", eh?

Yes, I can understand getting lots of dough in for scant work.

Meanwhile, Microsoft cannot even support multiple Offices. Install Skype for Business off an Exchange Online subscription with Office 2013 already on-PC? Nope!!.

"Stop, you should wait to install Office 2016. We'll have to remove the following if you continue: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 - en-us. This product doesn't work with Office 2016 right now. We're working on a solution. [Install Anyway] [I'll wait]"

That company so deserves to disappear.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

"Stop, you should wait to install Office 2016. We'll have to remove the following if you continue: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 - en-us. This product doesn't work with Office 2016 right now. We're working on a solution. [Install Anyway] [I'll wait]"

I'm thinking of 2 terms. one involves a cluster. the other involves a circle.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Easy solution: Order the customers to buy new supported computers. If they aren't locked in thoroughly enough to pay up on demand then they are not customers that Microsoft care about.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I was curious so tried clicking the Windows 10 icon in the system tram on my old Asus netboot, currently running Windows 7 It refused to install due to a graphics driver incompatibility and suggest I contact Intel about it. Since that's the only computer running Windows in the house, apart from a works laptop with Win7 Enterprise on it, I'm happy :-)

7. nichomach

I actually wanted to upgrade to 10...

...but the upgrade crapped out, initially leaving my machine unbootable and taking quite a lot of work to put it right. It's still nagging me though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I actually wanted to upgrade to 10...

Me two, I even tried it briefly. There were two things that led to it's removal:

1. It didn't play nice with Samba4:

8.1 was fine, 10, loooong delays (only after joining the domain), for e.g. typing hostnames into mstsc would freeze for 30s after each character typed into the host box... wtf does mstsc need AD for when a user is typing a hostname? Verify it's valid after I've typed the damned thing, not pause for 30s after each character.

2. Uncancellable "Get Updates" nags ignoring GPO

GPO was set to 'Notify but don't install' and 'Only notify administrators', the latter of which was ignored, nagging users with full-screen un-cancellable dialogs, often crashing full-screen 3D applications.

It's a small business, they're back on Win7 while I work out the specifics of the Linux migration. The only way that migration won't happen, is if MS remove all the forced updates/nagware and still give them a free upgrade to 10 now the deadline's past.

1. Dadmin

Best of luck for a smooth migration! Once your users realize they can get all their work done on a different OS, they'll never turn back. You'll see. If you have any holdouts, just give them a fresh Windows 8 laptop and wish them good luck on their forced upgrade path.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Best of luck for a smooth migration!"

Hehe thanks. To be fair - it shouldn't be too troublesome, I've got 10-years of Linux under my belt, both desktop and server and they already use Firefox, LibreOffice and Thunderbird on Windows. Their entire backend is already Linux (Samba4 AD-DC).

They're a packaging firm, and MS Office is used for their label templates, I expect some pain there converting the documents to line up with the physical label sheets, but that should be the biggest hurdle.

Being a proper Linux geek, I see an excellent opportunity here to try to script this, extract the XML, find the margins, measure the difference, adjust accordingly, re-zip. :-)

1. dajames

They're a packaging firm, and MS Office is used for their label templates, I expect some pain there converting the documents to line up with the physical label sheets, but that should be the biggest hurdle.

glabel is surprisingly painless, open source, and contains most of the heavy lifting.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"glabel is surprisingly painless, open source, and contains most of the heavy lifting."

Excellent suggestion thank you. I hadn't even considered looking for dedicated labelling software.

2. Paul Shirley

Re: but the upgrade crapped out

What's more disturbing is the updates keep crapping out as well. Not failing but leaving parts of the system broken. My network PVR 8.1 -> 10 upgrade went pretty well, drivers were replaced with bad ones as expected, the network took a while to come back but mostly it just worked after un-updating then hiding the drivers.

Last weekend's surprise (and forced while I was out) update installed the same blocked drivers, destroyed the firewall (?because I'd blocked most MS spyware and they were 'fixing' it) and generally raped my settings. Took more than half a day getting the damn machine back on the network and nearly working. And I know it will happen again if I don't completely cut it off from Microsoft servers :(

8. wolfetone Silver badge

Peak Microsoft

I have several friends who all work in different industries (Builder, Physio, Accountant) and they've all succumbed to this update. The only one who's business hasn't been affected is the Builder, both the Physio's booking system and the Accountants Sage software *spits* are borked now because of this upgrade.

The problem here is that all of these thought the upgrade was optional, and didn't mind paying for Windows 10 when they needed to upgrade. But they either hadn't the time or the money to do the upgrade. Now they're suffering because of, quite frankly, a horrible scam. Which is what it is, you click X to close a window not to install anything.

But they aren't the only ones to be burnt, they won't be the last either, but Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows they use. The trust in Microsoft for a lot of people in mission critical situations has been properly smashed with this debacle. Gate's baby is being sized up for it's coffin.

1. nkuk

Re: Peak Microsoft

I wasn't able to get a quote for some work to be done as the traders system was unusable after the update, it was affecting his business financially. I have no idea why there isn't a class-action lawsuit against this type of blitzkrieg forced update.

2. ZootCadillac

So why did they not roll back the software if it affected them so badly? If I recall it explains quite clearly during the upgrade that you can do this and is quite simple to do.

1. VinceH

"So why did they not roll back the software if it affected them so badly? If I recall it explains quite clearly during the upgrade that you can do this and is quite simple to do."

I commented in reply to another recent Windows 10 article on this site - one person I know tried Windows 10 on his laptop, but decided he didn't like it so rolled it back to Windows 7 within the 30 days this is possible.

However, more recently he was a victim of the close icon trickery, and the laptop was shifted to Windows 10 again - and he says this time he can't find the option to roll it back.

1. ZootCadillac

I was unaware that the rollback would not happen twice but having done it myself I know it is simple to do and that's what I commented on. Think I'm just getting downvoted these days for a comment last week that everyone hated ( joke, I don't give a shit :))

1. VinceH

"I was unaware that the rollback would not happen twice"

I'm not definitely saying it doesn't. Bear in mind, I'm talking about a non-technical user. It might simply be that he's just unable to find it - though having done it before, it's doubtful.

Another possibility is indeed that the option isn't presented the second time.

But it could also be that the installation date is stored somewhere (a Registry entry, perhaps) - and either piss poor programming, or deliberate twattishness on Microsoft's part might mean it isn't updated for the second time it's installed. So more than a month has passed since he *first* installed it, and the window has closed.

There could also be other explanations that I can't think of.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like