back to article Intravenous hangover clinics don't work, could land you in hospital

Australia's health authorities have started cracking down on “hangover clinics” after someone's morning-after quick fix landed them in hospital. New South Wales Health kicked off the investigation over the weekend, ordering the Sydney iv.me operation to close after a visitor to the clinic was taken to St Vincent's Hospital …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mr. Abelazar Woozle

Feh! Best cure for a hangover is plenty of cups of tea and a greasy fry-up (featuring Willie Rushton's hangover blaster of choice, Nepalese scrambled eggs), or at least in the "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" sense....

2. Cuddles

Harmless ingredients...

"One popular belief among boosters of hangover clinics is that they ingredients they use is harmless, so at worst they're a placebo."

What absolute bollocks. The worst case is not a placebo, at worst you cause an air bubble and nearly instant death, or you inject such a massive dose of something supposedly harmless that the blood effectively stops being blood, or you cause permanent nerve damage or serious bleeding from screwing up insertion of the needle, or you give people all kinds of funny diseases by not sterilising the equipment properly, or you have a contaminated batch and poison everyone, and so on and so on. Even if a substance is effectively harmless when ingested because it's impractical to eat enough to cause problems, all bets are off once you start sticking needles in people. All substances can be deadly if you inject a large enough amount, but that's hardly even relevant given the long list of obvious dangers IV has regardless of the specific substances involved. Those dangers are relatively low and considered acceptable when IV is used for a good reason in a proper medical setting. But when administered by idiots and frauds who don't even acknowledge those dangers exist? Anyone involved with these things should be in prison for malpractice.

1. Dr Dan Holdsworth
      FAIL

Re: Harmless ingredients...

As I have said before, regardless of how harmless the ingredients are, it is the administration method which the likeliest cause of harm. Human beings have very good immune systems in their guts which only a select few food poisoning organisms can get past. By contrast, if you inject something intravenously, you bypass this immunological safety system.

That these companies are doing this is in its self a form of placebo woo. The only reason for running fluids via an IV drip is when the patient needs fluids urgently, and cannot drink them normally for whatever reason. People with hangovers are not medical emergencies of this kind; there is no earthly reason to expose them to the hazards of an IV line.

If you want to medicalize the process of giving someone fluids, then at most a nasogastric tube could be used. This is however rather an unpleasant way of getting fluids into a person who is perfectly capable of swallowing liquids normally.

All these hung-over morons actually need is a large dose of water with the correct electrolyte mix to be most rapidly absorbed; correctly-formulated oral rehydration mix or any of the rehydration sports drinks will do the trick nicely. The sports drink variants even have the advantage of tasting quite nice, too. Granted, you don't get the placebo effect of a bloke in a white coat sticking a needle in your arm, but you also don't run the risk of septicemia from an iv-sourced infection.

3. Someone_Somewhere

Re: Anyone involved with these things should be in prison for malpractice.

No botox-party invites for /you/!!!

4. Imsimil Berati-Lahn

Don't do needles, kids!

The human part of me can't help but feel sorry for the poor saps that got fubared by these shysters, but if you're going to stick a needle into yourself for non-medical reasons, you're asking for trouble.

For those who haven't figured it out already,

the "secret" hangover cure formula is as follows.

750g H2O

50g C6H12O6

2g MgSO4

1g NaCl

1g KCl

It is taken orally, no needles required.

Follow this up with 1500g H2O to be sipped over the course of the next hour or two.

You'll be right as rain, (well, you will feel a boatload better).

1. Charles 9

Re: Don't do needles, kids!

So in other words, a pint and a half of water, a heaping tablespoon of sugar, two pinches of epsom salt, and a pinch each of table salt and salt substitute?

PS. How quickly does it act once ingested? I think part of the craze for IVs is to reduce the time needed for the stuff to go into effect since they want to cut the hangover QUICKLY before they have to explain themselves to the boss or the significant other.

PSS. Going back to IVs, if anything is going to be used as an IV treatment for drunkenness in a supervised medical setting, I think the preferred substance is a solution of sodium lactate.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"So in other words, a pint and a half of water, a heaping tablespoon of sugar, two pinches of epsom salt, and a pinch each of table salt and salt substitute?"

And a shot of the hair fo the dog (which kills the withdrawal symptoms).

There's a lot to be said for a Bloody Mary the morning after the night before (and a scalp massage)

1. Someone_Somewhere

Re: bloody Mary!

> There's a lot to be said for a Bloody Mary the morning

Too true <sigh>.

"Stop trying to massage my scalp, woman! How many times do I have to tell you!?! I've got a pounding headache, sandpaper tongue and my breath smells like a tramp's armpit. Leave me alone, ffs!!!"

Obviously, I don't /actually/ give her a bloody nose, so, really she's just the /usual/ Mary, but bloody hell!

Bloody Mary <sigh>.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When I was working as a nurse 20+ years ago the junior doctors preferred Dextrose Saline 500ml IV. (4% Dextrose, 0.18% NaCl) Worked well too going from barely functional to apparently alive in 20 minutes.

Looking back on it it is a bit of a worry that we had hungover junior doctors coming on shift.

1. Charles 9

Hmm...I guess the Dextrose provides carbs which mean energy to get over the tired sensation. I can see its uses. Looking it up, I find it's possible to combine the two and end up with a combination Dextrose Sodium Lactate Saline solution: Dextrose for energy, Sodium Lactate to stabilize the blood (it's isotonic with blood), and Salt to replenish electrolytes.

5. lullabyman

Australia seems to be a bit behind the times on this issue

Up until very recently (about the last 10 years) Intravenous Vitamin C (IVC) was considered by the rest of the world practically as voodoo, thanks largely to hit and run opinion pieces like this which amounted to nothing more that shoddy science and fear mongering. The data has been mounting ... Tom Levy's books (like Primal Panacea) have been chronicling the compounding data as properly recorded in peer review journals now over 1000 of citations supporting most of the contentions IVC supporters have had. Not just "opinions", not just "Dr. X of XYZ hospital said" sort of worthless data ... but statistically significant data from over 1000 of peer reviewed studies in respected medical journals. Critics have fought loud and hard but on the world stage in the last 10 years the reputable ones have been largely silenced by the compounding evidence that the disparaging studies done in the 80's (mostly the Mayo clinic studies where they used oral doses, and low ones at that, instead of the recommended protocols) were the wrong protocol. If you want to keep looking like a backward nation with it's head in the sand keep publishing junk like insinuating that the Mayo clinic says it causes diarrhea and other complications (which actually doesn't happen with IVC, but oral megadosing when done improperly). The "expensive urine" quote ... oh the horrors! What ... did you think all 50+g was going to converted to collagen in the body?! Idiotic. Or H2O2 - even worse - that would kill the patient. Are these IV clinics substandard care? I don't know ... I follow the numbers, have never needed an IV and know nobody in the IV industry ... but by following the numbers I know that stomach aches and low BP from IVC is completely unheard of. There are occasional complications, which is avoided with proper care (the iron thing - hemachromatosis, should be identified first, same for those with renal issues, or GP6D deficiency). Australia news outlets make a fuss about this with at least a monthly hit piece. They're the only country that still does. Even the medical journals have moved on ... the latest IVC criticisms being "the jury is out" made by those who used to scream that it was horrible and deadly until they've finally softened to "the jury is out". It isn't out ... it's in, and it's bad news for those who want to keep people sick.

1. Someone_Somewhere

Re: Australia seems to be a bit behind the times on this issue

>statistically significant data from over 1000 of peer reviewed studies

Citations?

>in respected medical journals

Which ones?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like