back to article Debian Linux founder Ian Murdock dead at 42

Debian GNU/Linux founder Ian Murdock has died. He was 42. Murdock is best known for launching the open-source distro in 1993. Just last month, he joined the technology startup Docker in San Francisco. Debian guru ... Ian Murdock On Monday afternoon, he posted a string of distressing and erratic tweets, revealing he had …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: The last tweets of Ian

>So if you're black and poor is OK if police treats you badly? While only if you're white and rich they should not?

He didn't say that. He first wrote "i'm hoping coming from a successful white guy it will help everyone", *suggesting* he believed that black and poor people are sometimes abused by police because society doesn't listen to them properly. Given several news stories, especially in the last couple of years, I can see why he might believe that. We don't know what he believed though, so best not to put words in his mouth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No. Re-read his tweets. Why bragging about how much you earn? Should it make policeman kinder? There's also a rant against women. I really hope it was drunk and/or out of his mind.

Being a good developer doesn't make you a better person, there are ones who killed their wife and hid the body....

And we still don't know why he ended in police hands - police is not always wrong...

2. Justin Clift

There's an online archive of his account here, if that's useful.

Same thing, but with replies here.

(taken from the Hacker News post)

1. Code For Broke

Who the hell is @jacksormwriter?

I think we are all in for months of heavy conspiracy theory rumblings on this one folks.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Archived version of the account here, from before it was deleted.

2. CRConrad

How fitting, and...

...How timely a reminder of other recent news: Both 451'd.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thx a lot for this archive. ... "a successful business man, not a NIGGER,". Is he suggesting that a "Nigger" can be bitten?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It suggests he was a racist. Flattening all my Debian machines and putting W10 on them

2. h4rm0ny

From the context I'm fairly certain what he was saying was that black people in the USA get treated like this all the time and maybe people will start to take action against police brutality when the see it happening to a rich, white male.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

he didn't use the word black though did he? he used a derogatory term that has no place in modern day society

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm... scant sign of any "threatening suicide" in there. ...

It's not near the top, doing a text search in the page for "committing suicide tonight" will take you to the start.

2. VinceH

"although its "last update" date leaves cause to wonder..."

Referring to:

">>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:29:06 GMT <<< "

There's nothing to see there. That's not when the record was updated, but the database as a whole. For example, I can do a whois on one of my own domains, and even though no changes have been made to the domain in a very long time, the last line of the report says:

">>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 10:42:04 GMT <<<"

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You missed the one where he used the N word

1. Steven Raith

Gah.

I was only a recent convert to 'straight' debian (After years of Ubuntu - the popularity of which is a testament to Debians solid foundations) and I feel rather affected by this.

Far too young, and doubtless had more to give. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

All the best to his family at what is doubtless a troubling and upsetting time.

Steven R

1. PaulFrederick

Re: Gah.

Genuine Debian is the best. Enjoy it.

1. h4rm0ny
        Linux

Debian has always been my distro of choice. I have stated using Mint lately just because the interface is so nice and everything is set up so well by default, but that's built on Debian and would be nothing without it.

I am deeply sorry that Ian has passed away and in such difficult circumstances. I never knew him but I feel I can almost recognize the experience of someone with a real engineer mind - one that not only wants but needs things to be right and to for things to be worked out rationally. For such a person, coming head on into police brutality and those that, if his words are genuine, "are only interested in power for power's sake", must have been deeply traumatic.

I'm sorry for his passing and thank him for what he contributed to the software world which was exceptional.

I hope justice will be served.

2. R Callan
      Linux

I am a similar case, except I went from Mepis to Debian. Mepis updates have become non-existant recently and i was a little worried about the lack of security updates particularly.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Regardless of the background

This is just another worrying incident in which the US police have been involved. We keep hearing of them killing mentally disturbed people (in the most recent case killing a completely uninvolved bystander as well), as well as people who were behaving completely legally but happened to be black. The US police seem to be increasingly militarised and increasingly unaccountable. It's entirely possible that an encounter with them could have disastrous consequences even if the victim wasn't actually killed at the scene.

There were questions around the death of Alan Turing (at a similar age) in which suicide was never conclusively demonstrated, after his own involvement on the wrong end of the criminal justice system.

This is another tragedy, and it needs to be properly investigated.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Regardless of the background

It seems like they've worked out they can avoid being accused of racism if they meet a quota of white victims too.

2. Quortney Fortensplibe
      Alert

The worrying thing is that they're not just "The US Police". As recent court cases have shown, they're The World Police, because US law applies globally. So don't think you're safe from this kind of treatment, just because you're not unfortunate enough to live in the US.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

@Quortney Fortensplibe

You are close to the mark. I once saw American DEA Agents take down a suspect in Amsterdam Central Station, that might have been 10 years ago too. As an American I recognized the uniforms. I had a friend who liked cop shows...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Condolences

Condolences to Mr Murdock's family. I didn't know him, but my life has been greatly enriched by the software suite started by him, and by its derivative. If injustices were committed against Ian Murdock that ultimately caused his death, may those responsible be found and prosecuted.

You shall be remembered, Ian Murdock, with much love and respect for how you made the world that little bit better for all of us..

1. lambda_beta
      Linux

Re: Condolences

Well put.

RIP

4. AlejandroLieber

He remainds me the life of computer genius Phil Katz

The genius who built a multimillion-dollar software company known

worldwide for its pioneering "zip" files had died of acute

pancreatic bleeding caused by chronic alcoholism.

http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/library/CONTROVERSY/LAWSUITS/SEA/katzbio.txt

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear big D

Why couldn't you have taken Rupert instead?

6. The Empress

According to MSNBC

Global warming takes another one.

7. @non

Move along...

Nothing to see here folks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Move along...

Are you a complete asshole or just doing a good impression of one ?

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: Move along...

Sarcasm? Maybe, IDK.

8. a_yank_lurker

RIP

Ian's contributions will be remembered for many years particularly in Debian.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

This smells to high heaven.

The community should not let up on the police until every last detail of this affair has been made public, and by that I mean very widely known.

1. Bleu

Re: This smells to high heaven.

My opinion, not that it is worth much, your 'community' should not let up until the facts come out.

OTOH, cops can be arseholes, anywhere, but not everywhere.

Seems to me to be a plain case of suicide.

Read the article a little more closely.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: This smells to high heaven.

Let us conspire:

Freedom, internets, sheriff of youtube, tweets.

What more proof do we need?

Pipes?

10. Amorous Cowherder

42 is not an age to pass on, at 42 your life is really only getting started. Very tragic.

11. PaulFrederick

More Information than I have seen anywhere else

Yet still so many unanswered questions. What possessed Ian to try to enter his neighbor's house? I need more information before I can attain any kind of closure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More Information than I have seen anywhere else

He said he knocked on their door, not anything about trying to enter their house.

Has there been any comment from the neighbour, if they were home when (if) he knocked?

12. dharmalena

sex offenders in law enforcement an epidemic!

Sexual assault is a huge problem in law enforcement especially In St. Petersburg Florida. There is grass roots movement throughout the state to cover up all official crimes. And it's up to the local Sheriff of each county if they want to cover up the crime or not. But the sexual perverts know how to conspire with judges to use their status to force all Sheriffs of any county to defer to sexual perverts in law enforcement.

Now It becomes a total state corruption because the governor defers to elected Sheriffs to deal with crimes in their county as they see fit. The Ag of the state defers to the governor and nothing is done to the growing problem of sexual perverts in law enforcement!

The only solution officials see as logical is continue to attack any victims of official sexual misconduct- crimes to keep them quiet.

Since law enforcement has open access to intelligence, all politicians feel threatened to conform to the sexual perversion unless they want their families violated as well.

The federal government won't do anything because they want to promote minorities rights and arresting official sexual perverts who have protected statuses are not consider a solution at this point in time. So the victim continues to get jacked up the backside, horrendously abused, family attacked until they learn to be quiet about sexual predators in law enforcement.

My family has been experiencing ongoing crimes since 2001. The goal is to drive victims to suicide through ongoing aggravated stalking to exploit mental state to use as an excuse the victim must be mental!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Police Murder Again.

Being a reader of PINAC, combined with his last tweets, and the principles of Occams razor, it police murder again.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Mental illness

I agree with AC above, mental illness is not necessarily the cause of suicide.

One day I was just sitting at home, not particularly stressed or anxious, when without warning an overwhelming desire to kill myself occurred.

I can only describe it as if someone had dropped "the bell-jar of doom" over me. It was intense, there seemed no purpose to continue living. This horrible mood probably only lasted 10 minutes but was the longest 10 minutes of my life.

What saved me was my belief in re-incarnation, the thought that I would have to go through the process of being re-born and learning all that stuff again. Scoff if you will but it worked for me.

My condolences to Ian's family and friends.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've had the belljar of doom. Except mine was more like accidently poking a hole into the dark dimension. Luckly it was just before bedtime and I was knackered, because I woke up perfectly normal next morning.

People who write off all suicides as mental illness haven't seen it.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Is there, and I ask in the spirit of enquiry not judgement, any distinction save time scale between a brief "disturbance" and long term mental illness?

We go through brief physical (for want of better word) illnesses like 24-hour flu and also fortnight long norovirus (winter vomiting bug) , a twisted ankle and extended periods of arthritis.

1. Tom 7

Infections can cause depression - most infections produce nasty by products that make you feel crap. Many of them can be psychoactive or later cascade to psychoactive breakdown products. Antibiotics can seriously change peoples outlook on life by killing off bacteria and upsetting the balance of flora in our systems.

We tend to treat the symptoms cos the cause is invisible.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We go through brief physical (for want of better word) illnesses like 24-hour flu and also fortnight long norovirus (winter vomiting bug) ...

Way off topic here, but a tip from a co-worker helped me with this some years ago. Any time you have a stomach complaint where you feel you may have eaten something bad (eg dodgy chinese), immediately go and buy a pack of Yakult. It has seven little containers in it, that you'd normally drink (1 per day). Drink 3 of those containers right away. Chances are, the stomach problem will lighten up and disappear completely from about 30-40 minutes later. If not, go to a doctor.

I haven't had any kind of food poisoning/upset stomach/gastro in the years since. And it's been quite a few years. Also turned on other work mates to this stuff, when they come in to work sick with stomach things... they magically get better too. ;)

Side note - Tried several other brands of bio-active stuff too, but nothing apart from Yakult has actually worked, so I just stick to that. Most Sainsbury's stock it, many Tesco as well. Hopefully that's useful. :)

1. Bleu

Ha, ha.

The cheaper copies also work, at least in Japan. Yakult verges on cult religion territory.

If the product doesn't also come by bicycle delivery, with a very plain but never ugly woman delivering the products, you are missing out out out on half of the phenomenom.

Frow western literature, their uniforms are like a cross between

Orwell's Anti-sex League and Huxley's lower beta or gamma types.

I must give you a vote, I am impressed that Yakult is making progress overseas!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"The cheaper copies also work, at least in Japan. Yakult verges on cult religion territory."

It must be magic. The bacteria it contains cannot function in stomach acid, so any of them that survive as spores will need to wait till they are passed out of the stomach before becoming functional. That takes rather more than 30-40 minutes.

Probiotics may have beneficial effects - I can't prove otherwise - but we are talking days or weeks not minutes. If what the stomach needs is a dose of lactic acid, you can get that from quite ordinary yoghurt much more cheaply.

However - depression caused by infections. Bacterial toxins can make you feel very, very ill indeed. Gut flora may produce these toxins and then the normal state of a gut full of bugs turns into a disease. Treating an E coli infection with a lot of antibiotics may even be fatal because the bacteria, as they die, release lots of toxins in a short space of time.

Urinary infections can produce the symptoms of dementia, and hallucinations.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

It must be magic. ...

Yeah, I get the theory. In reality though, whatever's in Yakult actually works, in the timeframe I gave. Repeatedly. ;)

Obviously you have knowledge in this area that's better than me. You should be able to devise a simple way of testing it for yourself. If you can be bothered, please do. :)

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Transplants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dim7YXYlRm0

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like