back to article Earth wobbles on axis as Google rebrands

Paradigms were shifted and the Earth possibly wobbled a little on its axis yesterday as Google announced a new logo to brand its continuing drive towards total world domination. According to a blog post, the revamp includes a fresh face and an "identity family", all suitable for deployment across the bewildering and exciting …

Page:

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

So, they've swapped Times for Ariel

yawn.

Well, actually, with more use of small-screen devices, non-serifed less-rounded fonts are easier to read. A couple of years back the Beeb de-italicised their logo as upright lettering is crisper on the more common smaller displays people are using.

Edit: just noticed somebody else posted exactly the same point while I was typing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, they've swapped Times for Ariel

A couple of years back? It was 1997 - nearly 20 years ago!

2. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

So, minimalist design has finally jumped the shark

Just how much did they pay somebody's 14 year-old kid to type six characters in different colors into Illustrator?

3. Eddy Ito

What's with the blue pill in the feminine hygiene cup?

4. DropBear
    Pint

To be fair though...

...the Earth is always wobbling in its orbit, thanks to the often overlooked fact that the Moon doesn't actually orbit Earth, rather they orbit each other around their common barycenter - which just happens to be about 1/4 of Earth radius under the surface of the Earth, causing it to waltz around the Sun in a somewhat wobbly fashion (I swear the wobble is readily detectable, but for some weird reason only on Friday afternoons...)

1. Alistair
      Coat

Re: To be fair though...

..... that wobble is far more noticeable when one is lugging 40 kilo packs of roofing tiles up an aluminum ladder to the third floor roof......

2. Mike Flugennock
      Boffin

Re: To be fair though...

Point well taken. I also had this pointed out to me in my junior high school astronomy class. Still, as the Earth/Moon system's barycenter is within the Earth, most regular folks are good with the idea of the Moon "orbiting" the Earth.

Now, if you want a really good example of a "wobbly" system, check out some of the time lapses of Pluto and Charon taken by New Horizons on approach prior to the flyby. The barycenter of the Pluto/Charon system is well outside Pluto, and Pluto can be seen visibly wobbling in space as Charon tugs at it as they orbit their common barycenter much in the manner of a binary star.

5. Florida1920
    WTF?

Iceberg approaching?

Then why are they rearranging the deck chairs?

6. j7n

The elegant logo in Giovanni font looked legible enough on 1024*768 shadow mask screens in 1999-2000. Nobody asked for a paragraph of body text set that type and color to be read. If devices with an even lower resolution screen than that exist today, which I doubt, Google could serve a simplified logo exclusively to them, perhaps in formatted HTML, and no pictures at all. Problem solved.

The earth did kinda wobble, because I heard about the logo on the World Service yesterday. I didn't pay any attention to yet another "doodle" on the corner of the search results page.

7. Pan_Handle

Favicon

The new favicon looks crap.

8. Nelbert Noggins
    Trollface

It's obvious why this has happened now. As a subsidiary of Alphabet it was time for a new logo, brand, image, business cards and expensive lunch discussing the whale and joss-stick budget just so it's clear to people they're a new company and not just a paperwork/legal/tax re-jig of the same old monster

9. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Whoopedy doo

That is all.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot?

eh?

11. Whit.I.Are

It looks crap

Just looked at the new logo on my phone. Haven't these jokers heard of anti-aliasing?

12. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like