back to article Jeb Bush: Repeal Obamacare and replace it with APPLE WATCHES

John "Jeb" Bush, younger brother of ex-president George “Dubya” Bush and former Governor of Florida, has found the solution to America’s healthcare problems: his Apple Watch. At a “town hall” meeting at the Chamber of Commerce in Tempe, Arizona, Jeb said: “I think we should repeal Obamacare,” before pointing at his wristjob, …

Page:

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Crown jewel

@ Bloodbeastterror

"Maybe the NHS isn't perfect, but if you break your leg which side of the pond do you want to be on...?"

This is an interesting question but not clear. You say break a leg but lets say something more long term like an illness. In the UK you book an appointment and the NHS eventually get back to you with a date a month or so away. When you get there you are ignored until eventually you get looked at but that is all you know from any 'tests'. Anything being sent off takes an age to get back and you dont generally get to know much about it. If they dont want to deal with it they bounce you from department to department and back again for a number of years and throw drugs at you until something masks the pain but the underlying problem is ignored until it comes back AND START AGAIN!

That is against booking an appointment that is convenient and timely, tests which are quicker and the results given to you in full. The end goal is to make you better and get you out so the next customer can come.

"I would say that the country can't afford ***to be without the NHS***"

That is an interesting statement which I would somewhat agree with except we cant afford the NHS. This isnt an if or but its a fact that we cannot afford the current incarnation of the NHS. I dont know the solution but throwing endless money at something which endlessly consumes and demands more has to result in no NHS and a huge bill. Which we seem to agree would be bad.

"Health care, or Trident missiles mouldering expensively in unused and useless silos against a non-existent threat. Hard choice?"

Apples and oranges unfortunately. The problem with healthcare is the increasing cost and greater demands. How do you do both without taking more money? Trident missiles have a use and a purpose even if you dont like them so it isnt as easy as just cutting them for the NHS. And of course in doing that the NHS will consume more and demand more money after that. So what is cut next?

When we look at the budgets of these public services we should be shown the issue. We can spend more on health but do we want to take that from education? Defence? Welfare? And of course the labour gov spent up pretty badly and we are in a recession. We need an economy to generate the money required to spend on the public luxuries.

1. Triggerfish

Apps

Of course Jeb and they wont need insurance because the Iwatch app will manufacture antibiotics, or deliver Chemo or open heart surgery as well. FFS.

2. Fehu
    Alien

Typical republican conservative bullshit.

Obamacare, Abortion, Guns. With all the things that really need attention in the U.S., that's all the fright wingers can talk about.Taking the profit motive out of health care blunts that legendary "American Exceptionalism" that's got us so far. Funny, Cuba has a vaccine for cancer and has had for 25 years. Costs $1 per shot. They also have a higher ratio of doctors to patients than the U.S. Maybe they meant "Central American Exceptionalism". Stick that in your iTock, el Jebbe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Typical republican conservative bullshit.

"Cuba has a vaccine for cancer and has had for 25 years. Costs $1 per shot. They also have a higher ratio of doctors to patients than the U.S"

Communist countries have a track record of delivering highly educated people, because there's not much else to do in the evenings.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't worry, once the red tape is loosened and it can be imported, it'll somehow cost $1,000 and they'll recommend booster shots every five years.

2. Triggerfish

I seem to remember one of the reasons Cuba has a higher ratio of doctors is that they used (don't know if they still do), offer free medical training to doctors from other countries I think on the proviso they stayed in cuba a few years afterwards before returning to their home countries. They have a lot of students from poorer countries and I think one of the largest medical schools.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

"Cuba has a vaccine for cancer"

Umm, do you even know what cancer is? While there are some vaccines against viruses that can cause cancer (such as HPV, and many others for which we already give out vaccines), there is nothing to prevent cancer itself. Cancer is a malformation of the genetic code that allows the cell to reproduce but either causes reproduction at a much higher rate or inhibits the cell from destroying itself at the proper time.

The DNA malformations that cause cancer can come form a very wide range of sources, including radiation, toxins, viruses, random chance during cellular mitosis (When you copy a copy too many times, an undetected error will happen eventually), and several other rare causes. Our cells do have a crude mechanism to detect errors, but it acts like a file-integrity checked that only ensures that each byte contains 8-bits but no checks as to the expected length of the file or the contents of its header.

1. Fehu
        Windows

Re: "Cuba has a vaccine for cancer"

At least, I know where the down vote came from. Yes, I know what cancer is. My mother died from it last November. She was 85 and had a good life so no worries.

Back to adult conversation: I forgot to mention War. The republicans are always itching to start a war. Health care is peanuts compared to a medium sized war for any reason. The only thing is war produces casualties and severely injured veterans have to be cared for. They hate that. I bet they're looking for a war where everyone either dies or escapes completely unharmed. Is that why they're always talking about Armageddon? Pricks.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"At least, I know where the down vote came from."

Nope, I don't down-vote people for being wrong. I only do it when people are being jackasses.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

RE:"Nope, I don't down-vote people for being wrong. I only do it when people are being jackasses."

Have a down Vote

2. Fehu

Speaking of jackasses, my favorite kind are Windows Network Administrators who like to tell people they're the head of the IT department. I bet you know some of those, too.

2. Tom 35

Cancer vaccine info. Google it, there is more.

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/vaccines-fact-sheet

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cuba used to "export" doctors. That is why it has quite a few of them. The cheapest way to get medical personnel on the ground after a disaster, to service a major WHO programme (like the eradication of smallpox), etc was to have a chat with the Cubans. Similarly, countries with some money around Africa and Asia (usually from exporting natural resources) got them on contracts.

That business flourished up to the mid-90-es because the Soviet Union and the so called "Unaligned States" (pretty much led by the Cubans in those days) provided sufficient diplomatic and trade counterbalance to USA on the international scene. It dried up after that because USA became practically unopposed so any country doing business with the Cubans including healthcare had the USA ambassador pay a visit to the local prime minister and health minister. The visit was dedicated to a simple primer on what are USA sanctions and how do they look relative to the country GDP.

As an end-result Cuba has a surplus of doctors and the rest of the world has a surplus of graves. The countries which used Cuban contractors were the poorest and various charity replacements like Medicines sans Frontiers, etc provide nothing anywhere near the coverage these countries could buy from the Cubans prior to that.

This particular aspect of the sanctions is something which is usually overlooked and it is an aspect for which some of the USA congresscritters and diplomats over last 30 years have a lot to answer for. I am not going to say the G word, but in some cases it was not far off.

5. Six_Degrees

Uh - the US and the rest of the world also has cancer vaccines. For a tiny handful of very specific cancers. They've been available for years, and are cheap. This is not news.

Your blanket statement that "Cuba has a vaccine for cancer," however, is a gross distortion of reality, making it seem as though a vaccine exists that prevents all cancer. And frankly, I'm being kind referring to it as a distortion; in actuality, it is far more likely to be a flat-out lie on your part.

BTW - Cuba has had a very serious problem over the last few decades retaining their own medical personnel. They were sending them overseas, mainly to south and central america, to train doctors in those regions, and once they hit the ground outside of Cuba they never came back. Most of them, in fact, made a beeline for the US.

3. Six_Degrees

Lemme know when they can fit an MRI machine on my wrist, along with the surgical team needed to repair whatever they find with the former.

Bush wins this season's Fasted Failed Presidential Bid contest by a landslide, his campaign over before it is even announced.

4. Velv
    Black Helicopters

Call me cynical, but a Republican candidate wants to place an electronic tagging device on every citizen?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Call me cynical, but a Republican candidate wants to place an electronic tagging device on every >citizen?

Of course not - that would be a stinkin commie plot.

They want everybody to buy their own tagging device and pay a monthly service fee to receive ads - that's the American way.

5. Richard Altmann

In Europe

no TV camera team would even take notice of such a clown

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: In Europe

Oh ye of little faith. I'm sure your politicians are just as worthy of "bottom of the ocean" status.

6. asdf

wow

He is turning out to be more of a piece of work than his brother who could at least campaign. The way things are going both parties supposed nominees are a sure thing like Gary Hart was.

7. CmdrX3

Oh dear..

... and he's classed as the clever brother!!!

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"On this device in five years will be applications that will allow me to manage my healthcare"

So in 5 years an Apple watch will be able to do brain transplants?

1. John Bailey

"So in 5 years an Apple watch will be able to do brain transplants?"

Only the ones marked "For rectal use only".

9. ecofeco Silver badge

Be afraid, world. Be very afraid

This is the class of politicians we've had for the last few decades and it is pervasive from the federal government down to the local councils and even the HOAs.

It's why America is now running almost last in every standard of living of the industrialized counties... except for the number of nuclear weapons.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Be afraid, world. Be very afraid

At least Jeb isn't one of the Republican presidential candidates who thinks Obama is planning on invading Texas (at least, I don't think so)...

https://youtu.be/UtKNiL-oM40

10. PassiveSmoking

Bush?

Oh God, not another one.

11. wayne 8

All of may doctors lately have refered me to the Internet for follow up.

So a smart watch may as well replace the doctor and get me straight to the web search results.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like