back to article Google sues Mississippi Attorney General 'for doing MPAA's dirty work'

Google is taking legal action against the Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood, alleging he exceeded his authority in suing the ad giant over piracy – and taking his cues from the Motion Picture Ass. of America. In October 2013, Hood filed a subpoena against Google, accusing the web ad giant of encouraging online piracy, …

Page:

1. Mikel

Oops

It would be unfortunate if the other studios - and the private email accounts of their executives - were stolen as well. The network of copyright cartel political corruption might be laid bare. The Hollywood economy would be crushed, and campaign contributions would fall. Thousands of the idiot cousins of the politically powerful or bureaucratically leveraged would have to find honest work where you actually have to go somewhere and do something useful to get your pay.

Oh please, dire hackers, be satisfied with hacking Sony. Don't visit us with that horrible fate.

1. Haro

Re: Oops

Oh my gosh! Please don't expose Disney, and copyright extension. My childhood dreams would be shattered. :)

2. DarrDarr

Most U.S. public libraries offer free loans of DVDs, which pirates use to make copies of... I wonder if that AG has tried to punish his local libraries for loaning out DVDs?

Google doesn't want to censor its search results at all, because if they do, then they become liable for anything they miss.

3. eAbyss

A US government employee doing big business' dirty work? No way.

4. earl grey
    Trollface

He said, "I'm not a douche working for the MPAA".

I'm just a douche.

5. OmgTheyLetMePostInTheUK

Attorney General acting on behalf of the Music Industry to file suit against Google?

When the an elected Attorney General for a State in the USA starts doing the bidding of a media company by using the States name to file the lawsuits, that is wrong. Google found from the Sony files that were leaked, that the attorneys for one of the legal firms that the MPAA retains, wrote almost the entire complaint the Attorney General used in his suit against Google, It sure sounds to me like there should be lots and lots of questions asked of the State, the AG, the legal firm that typed up the documents, the MPAA and all of the media (Music and Film) companies that knew about this, and let it happen. It sure sounds like a conspiracy to me. And that is illegal in and of itself.

Over the years, the MPAA has attempted to pull so many dirty little stunts that it now appears that they will do anything, even illegal things like this to get their way. In this case, it was to attempt to force Google to change the way their ranking algorithm ranks certain sites, or sites with specific types of info and/or materials available to the public. Despite the fact that there is no law anywhere that would require this.\

Now that Google has the facts on who did what, this should get interesting. You never know how a lawsuit is going to proceed, but the possibility of a former state AG going to prison is one possibility that I see as an option in the long run. And who knows, since Google now has the proof both the MPAA and that legal firm were directly involved, maybe Google can add a few billion dollars to that $62 Billion they already have sitting in the bank.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Attorney General acting on behalf of the Music Industry to file suit against Google?

I for one want to see how it plays out, would make the IBM-SCO affair or Apple - Samsung one seem a short lived case.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Attorney General acting on behalf of the Music Industry to file suit against Google?

You can take a good guess at the type doing the down-voting, eh?

6. SolidSquid

"Hood said that he was "calling a time out, so that cooler heads may prevail," and will be seeking a conference with Google's legal team to resolve the situation."

"Don't be silly, of course that isn't evidence of wrong doing on our part. Now lets just sit down and talk about this without any ridiculous legal action... like the kind we took out against you"

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like