back to article It's even GRIMMER up North after MEGA SKY BROADBAND OUTAGE

Life in the famously grim north of England became even more appalling today following a massive Sky broadband outage. Sky's service via a number of exchanges across the North West has collapsed, crippling broadband connections for customers living in the badlands surrounding Manchester and Liverpool. The provider said the …

Page:

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: North??

"I'm from further North than you." - Wedding Present - 2005

Not their best work, but worth a listen.

1. bpfh
    Joke

It's Grim Up North

Rumour has it that the person who put the Grim in Grimsby also put somthing in Scunthorpe...

1. Ben Bonsall

Re: It's Grim Up North

Not to mention Peniston

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manchester is not northen

Hate to tell everyone in the UK but Manchester is not in the north, its only just midlands.if you remember there was this great big thing about Scotland staying as part of the UK, which it did. looking at the UK that puts Manchester in the middle of the country ie. midlands. As we in Edinburgh say Manchester just a bunch of soft southerns.

If you are outside the UK, you can be forgiven for thinking Manchester is in the north due to their propaganda about it. To find where Manchester is take a map of the UK, one with out all the outlying islands is easiest, and fold it in half, south coast to north coast, and Manchester is roughly on that fold

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Manchester is not northen

You do know what they say about Edinburghers in Aberdeen, don't you?

1. speedbird007

Or even, in Glasgow...

However down here in the deep south (IOW next stop) anything above Southampton is THE NORTH.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Far be it for me to defend Manchester but when we talk about the various regions we are talking about England. Scotland, as usual, counts for sod all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's about as far north as anyone from darn sarf would want to go. And I say that as a poncey southerner who braved life on the windswept peaks of Carrbrook for many years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And I say that as a poncey southerner who braved life on the windswept peaks of Carrbrook for many years."

I'll back that, having moved from the pleasant and civilised south to the uncouth north for my growing up years. By God! It was like being a missionary amongst savages! Or a legionary atop Hadrian's wall. There was I sole speaker of the Queen's English for a hundred miles, and all around the Yorkshire vermin were spitting in the gutter and bah't tatting before setting off to Ilkley Moor with whippets in tow and cloth cap upon head. It was only as we passed Watford Gap on the way south that mum would let me turn the Brownings to safety and come out of the Cortina's rear turret.

Looking on the bright side, thanks to Blair, most of the BBC and their middle class Guardian reading liberals have been exiled to the Manchester Gulag. Before the native Mancs know it they'll have been gentrified and become the people they currently loathe in the less grim suburbs. And then the Glaswegians will have undisputed title of the expression "northerners".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Ledswinger

"for my growing up years"

And did you eventually grow up ?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"And did you eventually grow up ?"

We both know the answer to that!

3. Kydoimos

That's not the north!

It's positively middle of the road.

I can confirm that up here in the wilds of Northumberland (so far north we used to be Scotland), my sky broadband is working perfectly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's not the north!

Northumbria used to stretch from Edinburgh down to Sheffield. I'd think anyone in that vicinity could be forgiven for calling themselves Northern!

Ned Stark hails from Sheffield, and you don't get much more northern than Lord Paramount of the North.

1. Tom Cooke

Re: That's not the north!

>Northumbria used to stretch from Edinburgh down to Sheffield. I'd think anyone in that vicinity could be forgiven for calling themselves Northern!

Upvote for reminding of a piece of history that gets far too little coverage these days IMO.

Edit: There's a place very near my old home in Sheffield, called "Dore", which I understand really was the *door* to Northumbria from whichever other Anglo-Saxon kingdom was adjacent.

4. rpb

Glad to hear that no Eccles cakes were harmed during this outage, more for me !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@rpb

>more for me

And you're welcome to them, disgusting things. In Yorkshire we feed eccles cakes to pigs although we have to blend them in with other things otheriwse they wouldn't touch them.

1. John G Imrie

Re: @rpb

Just as long as you don't blend them with Pontefract cakes they are horrible, and I like liquorice.

I'm sure that they are just some joke on the Southerners.

2. Spoobistle
        Mushroom

Re: @rpb - Currant in Yorkshire

> In Yorkshire we feed Eccles cakes to pigs although we have to blend them in with other things

As a child in Manchester it was a tricky choice between the Egg Custard and the Eccles Cake; not till I came to Yorkshire did I discover that some local genius had combined the two in the Curd Tart. Its only disadvantage is having to avoid the Hulture Secretary temptation in the bakery.

1. Thecowking

Re: @rpb - Currant in Yorkshire

Oooh, egg tart.

I've not had one of those in years. Of course, I live in the desolate wastes of the South now (Cambridge has only one Greggs and that's a Greggs café, bloody barbaric I tell you), so such pleasures are lost to me.

Ask for a bacon barm round here and they look at you funny. Ask for a donner kebab and they serve you some anemic little thing in a sodding pitta rather than a proper portion in a naan like you get back in Manchester.

I do miss it there. One day I shall move back and revel in proper food and being near hills again.

5. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

translation

"caused by complications with planned network maintenance"

Watch out for my coffee cup.

Oops

What the fsck did you put it there for in the first place?

6. Graham 22

My service dropped at 00:05 last night, went and did a router reboot and then tried my landline for good measure. Now I just get the ominous message "Your number is out of service". Delightful, I only went live on fibre last week and now its stolen from my grasp. DAMN YOU SKY !!!

7. pisquee

North?

Up in Durham, Manchester is definitely down south!

Broadband working fine up here in the real north of England! (and way quicker than when I lived in London.)

8. MagicBoy

It's spelt Stockport you cretins!

It might be grim up North, but at least we can spell. :p

9. Obitim
    Pint

Frodsham

Is cracking for a pub crawl!

Think that the locals will be making the most of that whilst T'internet is down!

10. PhilBuk

Caldy - Affluent?

Describing Caldy as affluent is like saying the Pope is interested in religon. Seriously rich would be more accurate.

Phil.

11. MagicBoy

Just came back on about 5 minutes ago...

Stockpoort for the Reg Hacks, Stockport for everyone else. ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, back on in Warrington about the same time.

12. toffer99

Sky is down? I expect the IQ of local people to soar if the outage lasts.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodness me Jasper, we do have it in for the North.

How can anyone hailing from Essex, refer to areas of south Manchester and Cheshire as the 'Badlands'?

I suspect quite a small percentage of people living in the 'Badlands' have sky broadband given the numerous other unaffected providers out there.

One benefit of living in the North is we have something called mobile internet which is quite fabulous, this is especially good when land based internet goes down it means people in the 'grim north' just 'carry on regardless'.

When I stumbled across your piece my first thought was, which pompous southern cretin has written this? Someone that has clearly never been north of Milton Keynes.

I leave you to pen more drivel.........

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Northern my arse. What about Cumbria, pretty much everyone is a Southerner to us. (apart from the savages over the wall). There are some spectacularly crap places up here though.

15. cllr.

Broadband down in Halewood nr Liverpool

EE say its expected to be back up by midnight

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like