back to article Musos blast US copyright bods: 'ARTISTS MAKE LOUSY SLAVES!'

The workings of the US Copyright Office rarely provoke a smile let alone a laugh, so brace yourself for this. The agency is shuffling some of its rules, thrown its doors open to the public for comment, and has been livened up by possibly the best submission ever made to any quango. The office is inviting responses to changes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Richard 81

So that's where all these down votes came from.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Awesome

I'd never heard of her before this. Brb! I'm off to download her back catalogue at TPB :)

3. Herbalicious
      Linux

Did she really get offended at your tweet? Did she really accuse you of bootlegging? I've been helping Michelle learn twitter for the last week or so and I've been searching out the mentions of her to see what is being said by her fans, so she can connect with them more. Twitter is new to her and she just learning how to reply and retweet her fans.

Could it just have been that she was responding to what she thought was a fan?

I do remember she offered to send someone a copy of an out of print version of Short, Sharp, Shocked (SSS) because someone mentioned they would burn it for a friend since the album is out of stock. However, I had been at Michelle's place the day before and we were going over what merchandise she still had since 2013 is the 25 year anniversary of SSS and we're working on a strategic plan.

1. Paul Shirley

"hardly inconvenience the big operator"

If it doesn't inconvenience the large sharks feeding/ripping off artists what's the point?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: "hardly inconvenience the big operator"

Well, if it is not perceived as doing so, the big operators are not likely to attempt to block it. If it also offers useful alternatives for the artists and their fans to choose from, It might also create a worthwhile change for both. Not that I am holding my breath...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in a world with X-Factor and Britains Got Talent

Where people are prepared to sign their lives away for fame, and morons are prepared to pay to vote for it and buy its output, then these artists and consumers get everything they deserve. Simon Cowell is everything that is wrong with the music industry (ps supermodel girlfriends - you're trying a bit too hard)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a one time musician with a few recordings in the 80's I can safely say that the only time I ever got paid was for live work. Sale of recordings netted the band zero.

Copyright as it stands is dead in the water. It's time for a new business model where the recordings are advertising; special editions and 'hard copy' will sell in significant amounts for some time to come (for instance I baulk at buying a download for more than a physical CD, which I still find is good value and I actually own a THING), so get over it music industry.

As for photography, which is what I do now, I consider anything I post on the web to be gratis to the world. I get paid for commissions from clients, what happens to stuff after that might get me some more direct business but I sure as hell don't expect to get rich even if by some fluke I do manage to produce the 'iconic' photograph that hitherto would have guaranteed a lifetime of easy comfort.

So fellow musicians and creatives - get a grip - the world of mansions and limos is coming to an end, you'll have to work for your livings from some point very near in the future . .

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like