nav search
Data Center Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Billionaire astro mining venture long on hype and timescale

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

Re: space elevators damnit

"You put more than X kg of counterweight material - for example processed mineral - in your counterweight basket on top..."

Bear in mind that the "top" of this skyhook is in geosync orbit.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: using gravity to lift something has never worked, and never will...

Damn.

Time to get out of the hydro power business then...

Yag
Happy

Re: Bear in mind that the "top" of this skyhook is in geosync orbit.

Wooops... okay...

Actually... that's not okay!

The *center of gravity* for the whole space elevator should be in geosync orbit - This means that you should have quite a hefty counterweight beyond Geosync to offset the 36.000km and so of Neutronium/Carbon-femtocubes cables...

However, it is a legitimate claim, and my basic physic knowledge is unable to grasp the implications of such an odd case :)

Anonymous Coward

Expense

Why is this space stuff so expensive? Where does the money go? Does it pay for loads of people to build stuff, or does it provide very large salaries for a handful of people? Are the materials expensive? Who profits from the materials? ..... Who's making money out of this?

Alien

Dave 126

It was the late, great Dennis Hopper in Space Truckers with the square pigs, not Harvey Keitel.

Boffin

Nothing new here

This is nothing new. Mining lasers have been available since the 1980's for 800 credits from any system with a tech level of 10 or more, fuel scoops are available for about 525 credits (tech level > 5). Unfortunately the massive fluctuations in the prices for the mined goods coupled with the time it takes to perform the mining meant I always preferred to trade in alcohol and machinery.

Thumb Up

Re: Nothing new here

Links to an emulator if you gotit.

Love that game.

Bronze badge
Happy

Here you go Scott. I just tried it for the 1st time in years & it kinda works on Win7(like everything else!)

Bronze badge

Chris, Chris. You need(ed) to trade in slaves & drugs. Better turnover & more fights with the system Police!

Silver badge

@Scott 19

Oolite:

http://www.oolite.org/

Say goodbye to your social life for a while...

Facebook

"will include a manipulator arm to allow pictures of itself to be taken"

Will it also have a link to facebook to display it's self portraits?

Thumb Up

Re: Facebook

Presumably it'll be pressing itself coquettishly against one of its satellite friends and pouting?

*goes for a lie down*

Alien

Protector

Brennan was a Belter...

Hope they first agree some protocols about leaving sh*t in orbit and leaving their junk floating around if it isn't already defined under UN and International Charter.

Silver badge

Re: Protector

Just be sure you avoid the Yellowskins! Oh yes and don't mess with that shiny statue with the rusty little "button", you won't like what it does!

Stop

This sounds like the kind of in-joke I normally get, but I don't!

What'choo talking about? What did I miss?

They are talking about "Protector" the book by Larry Niven and related (short) stories in the 'Known Space'-series.

Anonymous Coward

Saw something about Hydrogen Trees the other day (tiny tiny things that use sunlight to create hydrogen) that would likely remove a lot of the hassel from creating hydrogen (far more effective than solar panels can do it due to the increased surface area).

Also you could get oxygen too, which is an adequate propellant in the depths of space.

Gimp

Go for it!

Never mind if the investors are about to lose some money - they've got plenty where that came from! The thing is, any attempt at doing something seriously useful in space will produce solutions to some of the nagging problems that have hampered us, plus some more we haven't even thought about yet.

As it is, I find it more than optimistic even today to announce the launch of a totally new spacecraft, even if it's just a small telescope, by 2014. Maybe if they've already got the design worked out, and have placed orders for their long-lead materials, it might be just doable. Whatever the outcome, it'll be more than entertaining to watch - and I'm sure if they actually pull off the water thing, it'll be a case of build it and they will come.

Thumb Up

Why are they doing this?

Obvious - tax avoidance! All the money they plow into this can easily be reclaimed as R&D expense and thus get the tax benefits for it (current 225% in UK, i.e. for eavy £100 R&D you can reduce your taxable income by £225). The fact it's a cool project, would create/sustain hi-tech jobs and might actually work in some way is just a big bonus.

Thumb Down

Confused

Why not start with something easy like the moon, at least it's been going the same way for a few billion years.

Let's be honest these guys just need there egos stroking,m again. (anyone for a deep sea trench?).

Alien

Well it's about time

That cash-rich corporations started spending their money on space-ventures rather than leaving it to bloated over-spending government agencies. OK they might kill a few people from time to time, but a bit of competition is bound to spur things along and speed them up. The tech exists, we just need the people to make it happen. And we've conveniently got a few mega-rich people who seem to want to spend their money on thsi at the moment!

Moon Zero Two

nuff said

Silver badge
Alien

Welcome to the slippery slope!

Sure, James Cameron and friends start by mining uninhabited near-earth asteroids, but once there is money to be made we know where it will end--ruthless colonization and exploitation of idyllic, peaceful space natives!!

If I was a Naa'vi, I'd be sharpening up my stone spears and getting in good with their earth mother/giant biological Cisco router that is running their their planet!! Come to think of it, wasn't "CamerCo" the name of the mining company in Avatar?

Coat

icm1957@gmail.com

Don't suppose there's any chance of calling this lot The Jupiter Mining Corporation?

I'll get me bazookoid

Ian

Re: icm1957@gmail.com

I think you'll find that Mr Cameron has dibs on Weyland-Yutani Corporation... :-)

Alien

Forget emulators, Oolite is amazing http://www.oolite.org/

Happy

It could work you know...

If you find enough morons, and there's never a shortage, to invest in this, you could make a nice profit.

Go

Telescopes in space? Cool!

A small (nine-inch) telescope launched as a secondary payload on an Atlas V (cheaper to do Falcon but whatever) which will, from LEO, look for asteroids in the region between Earth & the sun.

Well, first steps and all but if you want to look for rocks in that zone, surely it'd be better to fire off a telescope (or two) and send them above (and below, if you're doing two) the plane of the system so they can look without having their search impeded by the glare of the sun.

Humm....

TBH This sounds more like a false-flag op. I'm old enough to remember the Glomar Explorer, getting everyone excited about the fortune the Hughes corporation was going to make from manganese nodules from the deep-sea bed - the ship actually built to recover a sunk Soviet sub. Second cover story was that not all of the sub was recovered due to a failure of the grapple...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSF_Explorer (sorry for the wiki quote, too lazy etc..)

Now if the USofA wanted to develop the tech to drop big lumps of rock down the gravity well as part of their 'wars on stuff'; or if there actually was going to be an 'extinction level event' in 2032 or whenever, and we could do with nudging the little bugger out of the way without inconveniencing Joe Public with intimations of mortality what better cover would you need?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing