back to article Explaining the Chocolate Factory's Patent Panic

Debate rages on about whether Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility is good for Android, or an expensive mistake for Google, made in a moment of irrational panic. Our columnist Matt Asay thinks it "spells iPhone doom", and he's not alone. John C Dvorak thinks it's "pure genius". This supposes that Google performed a cost- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Curtis
      Joke

Starcraft?

would that be like a Zergling Rush?

1. moonoi
    Facepalm

Its about the set top box business

and the failure of Google TV, the mobile phone and patent stuff is just a red herring, just you wait and see.

1. soaklord
      Thumb Up

Titleist

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I saw that they got the set top box business. This allows them to integrate with millions of set top boxes and gives them an in with all the cable companies out there, thus a new advertising venue.

2. Kevin Hutchinson
    Thumb Down

Where's the beef?

There's no real information in this story - just a lot of opinion about the way patent litigation might play out. The most important things are: 1) does Motorola Mobility hold any "platinum" patents that are broad in scope? 2) is this going to help or hinder the other Android phone makers? If Google uses Motorola as a patent shield for Android then it helps the ecosystem for Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, etc...

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Motorola Patents

If they were so valuable and could be levegaged against Apple, Nokia et. al. (and, considering in the early days of GSM phones Motorola were a leader I don't dispute it) why on earth haven't Motorola been trying to sue these rich companies to date ?

1. KjetilS
      FAIL

Re: Motorola Patents

Because *some* companies prefer to compete on products instead of misusing the legal system to kill all competitors.

4. Handle This

Re: Oh put a sock on it @ 22:39 GMT

I disagree. Given the author and subject matter, I have just skipped the articles and dove right into the comments. You would rob me of many minutes of pleasure.

5. Graham Lerant
    FAIL

The article is based on flawed logic

What if Google didn't just want patents but acquired Motorola to manufacturer some phones! Is this so implausible?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Thumb Up

Re: The article is based on flawed logic

Now that makes sense.

Motorola make some great Android phones, let down by one major cockup. Update cycles, or rather the lack of them.

They're stuck in the same rut as most of the other manufacturers, believing that slathering the core OS with their own cruft (Motoblur? I'm looking at you...) to "differentiate" it is the only way to compete. The sticking point here is that porting said cruft to a new OS version for a device that's been superseded or is coming to the end of its cycle is money down the drain[1], so it doesn't get done.

A Motorola that ditches the cruft development overhead (reducing cost and time to market) and ships updates on the dot (keeping customers happy and possibly drumming up some repeat business) might actually make money.....

[1] Other industries seem to place a value on customer satisfaction and do this sort of thing anyway.....

6. Yves Kurisaki
    Thumb Down

Right..

So the writer of this article thinks he knows better than billions worth of top brains.

I think I'm going to place my bet on Google.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mining for gold amongst the claims

Assuming at least 3 dependent claims per patent gives you over 64k claims to examine for gold amongst the dross. It would be very interesting to see how Google applies their search wizardry to this.

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

One more thing.

ISTR that when Android was in gestation, potential OEMs were wary of being crushed by a "Googlephone", but were reassured by Google saying; "We'll never make phones".

Subsequently there was a right old hoohah when the first Nexus shipped, but Google assured everyone that it was Ok, 'cos it wasn't *made* by them. Grumbling persisted in the background to the effect that Google weren't exactly playing fair in annointing one OEM's products with Google branding, but everything carried on.

I assume the deathly silence so far on the Motorola buyout from the other Android phone makers is 'cos they haven't got over the coughing fit from choking on their cornflakes yet?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like