back to article George Lucas defeated by Stormtrooper helmet man

Andrew Ainsworth, the man who designed the Imperial Stormtrooper uniforms, has won the right to sell replicas. George Lucas has been suing Ainsworth since at least 2008 and the case finally ended up in London's Supreme Court. Ainsworth made the original helmets in 1977 – the legal action treated the helmets as the paradigm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

You've missed a lot

You must have missed the bit about the copyright on art being much longer than functional designs.

If he proves they are a functional design (which he did) then the copyright has expired. If they are deemed to be art (which I agree, they aren't) then the copyright has not expired.

2. The Commenter formally known as Matt
      Stop

point of order

>and tell him I maintain the copyrights on the designs which he can't have.

Lucas didn't do this bit.

I know this wasn't what was argued in the case, but if you start making up facts to support your case then your whole post is... doomed (last word said in a generic voice, def not sounding like a slightly depressed android, sorry droid)

3. PatientOne

Yes, you missed something.

What you missed was what was missing: A written contract.

You also missed another important point: The props were out of copyright by the time they were being sold.

So, in your analogy above: You weren't ripped off as the guy didn't just bugger off immediately and make as many copies as he wanted. He had to wait until your rights had expired before doing so. So you had time to capitalize on your design before he could make a penny outside of sales to you. Oh, and you didn't issue him with a limited license that restricted sales of your design to you so you can't stop him from producing genuine copies from your original design, either.

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Joke

@ Fuzzy Wotnot

And in a similar court case, the Schaffner who filmed "Planet of the apes" is now sueing everybody who ever made an ape costume becuase he once bought 50 of them from the local fancy-dress shop for his film...

1. Is it me?

You know

The winners here were the lawyers. I'll bet if it was up to Mr. Lucas the man he would have said, these are a great niche product that harms our brand not one bit, just ask for $25 an individually made helmet, and we're good to go.

But sadly Lucas the corporation would rather have 25c a helmet on a cheap manufactured product that sells in millions and is thrown in the bin after six months, because one will make maybe $10 thou. at most, and the other $20 Million.

Sad really.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lucas

Stop trying to excuse the action. Lucas himself was definitely involved in the action, the lawyers themselves didn't bring the action without his say so. And the other film makers involved show the true colours of these people.

2. Glyn 2
      Boffin

hmm

Are you mad.

This is George "let's make another figure of floppy hatted Luke" Lucas, the world's premiere money grabbing bastard. Star Wars special editions, another reissue of the films on dvd, this time with 3 minutes added fluff, the fecking prequels, STAR WARS IN 3D FFS.

They sold a lit sabre figure of ObiWan Kenobi with a green lightsabre instead of a blue one because a blue LED cost 0.02 cents more than a green one. The man is an souless accountant (my apologies to accountants everywhere)

I would go on but my bile cup has run over

Signed

an ex-Star wars fan

2. Wize

Awww,

I thought he was beaten up by someone dressed as a Stormtrooper.

1. Nunyabiznes

FIFY

"I HOPED he was beaten up by someone dressed as a Stormtrooper."

3. SK
    Happy

Lucas' people turn against him,,,

One of the Justices was "Lord Walker"

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/UKSC_2010_0015_ps.pdf

1. James Hughes 1

Excellent spot that man.

No text of any relevance.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Next candidate...

for extradition...

STOP this nonsense forthwith

5. Tieger

@fuzzy wotnot

depends how the contracts were done. remember that when star wars was first created, it wasnt a huge thing. lucas might well have looked at various helmets different people were making, sent specs to a few places, that sort of thing. lucas didnt, at that time, have the power to dictate terms to people. i'd guess it was only after the films were so succeful that he decided that he shouldve got the rights on all the imagery and items and such, by which time its a bit late really - but hey, if you've got billions you can try to shout louder and longer than your opposition.

...and you can make 3 prequel movies (that you 'planned to make all along, honest') that have less 'essence-of-star-wars' to them than do the 5 minute videos made for SW:TOR :P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Copyright Copyright COPYRIGHT

"depends how the contracts were done."

No, it doesn't. It depends on the copyright law that said that these are out of copyright and therefore ANYONE can make them now. This guy, since he was the original maker, was in a prime position to do so, but you or I could have done so too. Possibly, he could have been restrained from making them even once copyright had expired but that would not bind anyone else and, given that no one else would be bound, a court would probably strike out that clause in his contract anyway if he asked.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@So how does this work now

Same way as if you hire a wedding photographer, they keep the copyright on the pictures they take of you.

It's the difference between saying to an artist, "design some scary helmet" and saying to an employee "make the mold curve exactly this way at this point and put an eye hole this shape at that point"

It's particularly disengenous of Peter Jackson to chime in. They were very careful to do all the designs for their creatures and costumes at a design house they own - so they (Weta) rather than New Line (the film producers) would own the designs

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

@YAAC Re: Jackson

You mean the same way that Lucas' various companies ended up owning everything Star Wars related rather than Fox?

1. Sooty

no secret

"You mean the same way that Lucas' various companies ended up owning everything Star Wars related rather than Fox?"

Due to the belief of Fox that it would completely bomb, Lucas specifically took a risk on getting very little pay for his work, to ensure it got made at all, on the proviso that he got to keep the 'worthless' merchandising rights. Fox were laughing all the way to the bank with that deal... for a few years anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Photographers

"Same way as if you hire a wedding photographer, they keep the copyright on the pictures they take of you."

That's a bad example for two reasons.

Firstly the photographer may retain copyright, but that's not the same as reproduction rights. Unless you sign a release allowing the photographer to publish the images then s/he has no right to do so. The laws relating to photographs are not the same as those relating original designs.

The second reason is even simpler. The copyright on the helmets expired many years ago.

1. jm83

re: Lucas

According to one Prof Kermode, Lucas himself admits he can't tell a story he just thinks of the characters of action figures. He also apparently believes all the scenes that ever need to be imagined have already been filmed and so just copies whats already out there.

7. jhml2011
    Paris Hilton

Redundancy!

The phrase, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away is slightly redundant - what we percieve travels to our eyes at the speed of light so everything is in the past. The further away the older it is. For ir to be in someones future they would have to be even further away.

Paris, becuase she loves physics...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

just because it's far away doesn't mean it's older

it just means you see an older version of it

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

George Lucas beaten by his own Helmet

Nuff said.

1. TheRead
      Devil

@Jim Booth

I'm pretty sure we just found out the helmet isn't actually his anymore.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Contracts

Those of you going on about contracts have missed an important point. The law will always override what is contained in a contract. So it doesn't really matter what was contained in the original contract, if such a contract existed at all. If the helmets are out of copyright (as the court decided they were) then anybody has the right to manufacture and sell them. It would be ridiculous if a contract could restrict the original manufacturer from selling the helmets while the law would allow anybody else to sell them.

BTW I agree with the court that the items are not art. They were built to fulfil a function, that function being props in a film.

1. Chad H.

could it not be aruged then

That a painting serves a function - that function being to look pretty on my wall?

2. LaeMing
      Boffin

Yes

Contracts are for clarifying rights/responsibilities under the law. They are not accepted to replace the law or any parts of.

Same reason most click-through EULAs are not worth the paper they are printed on - they are either re-iterating existing law or contradicting it, neither of which means much in a court.

10. Gordon 10

That's no moon

That's Mr Ainsworth's hairy arse doing a victory dance.

11. DrStrangeLug

All up for grabs

The judgment references the 1988 copyright designs and patent act.

Section 52 of that acts reads that any use under license of an artistic design through an industrial process renders the design applicable for public use 25 years after the end of the calendar year it was first marketed, so long as it was marketed in the UK.

Unless all those toys in the late 70s were hand made then most of the prime star-wars designs now go to public domain in the UK.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Ah, now I see.

I was wondering in what screwy world a film prop was a "functional item" rather than a piece of dubious "art". Mass production -- suddenly everything becomes clear.

12. Dave 15

Stupid

A guy who is raking in millions in royalties and so forth for a set of not so bad, but hardly brilliant, movies goes after a chap making a handful of thousands... what a stupid nutter.

1. LaeMing
      Go

I imagine he was going for a good bit more than that.

Possible attempt to stop the first before the many realise they can do the same? How many more people from small moulding operations to mega-toy-makers are now checking if they actually have to pay a royalty for what SW-related products now!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Who cares..

Now my motorcycle helmet can be shaped after, y'know.. and not getting sued. Be called names as Dork or Geek, but not sued.

Where have I seen headphones that copy princess Leia haircut? Oh yeah, Spaceballs.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But will he ever get another job

making stuff for the film world?

15. mark l 2 Silver badge

copyright expired

From what i am reading here the court ruling was that because it was classed as a functional item and not work of art the copyright expired after 15 years.

Does this therefore mean that its not only Ainsworth who can now reproduce copies of the stormtrooper helmet but any one else can start making and selling them outside the US because its out of copyright?

1. Galidron

Not necessarily

That is the case for the UK, but other countries outside the US may have more stringent laws.

2. LaeMing
      Thumb Up

Looks like it to me

Though as he has the origional moulds, only he can claim 'genuine' I imagine.

16. Urh
    Coat

Wow

A New Hope washed over me when I read about the outcome of this case. I hope Mr Ainsworth is able to make a few quid before the Empire Strikes Back. Perhaps he can mass produce some uniforms an orchestrate a pre-emptive Attack of the Clones.

Mine's the one with the lightsabre in the pocket.

17. Captain Thyratron

Can we knock off this nonsense already?

Thanks to the state of modern IP laws and their related legal precedents, it is now easier than ever for a company to rob one of its employees of his life's work. Now you can own the patents for everything he invents, own the copyrights for every creative work he produces, and generally screw him over if he ever does anything with those ideas that doesn't involve giving you money, because you can tell him he can either sign this contract or get a job elsewhere (where a similar contract awaits).

Half a century ago, it might have required a bit more effort, or at least have been considered immoral. Now and then, one of the people who gets screwed over wins a protracted court battle at enormous personal expense, and we like to think it means things are getting better.

Do mechanisms for the legal recognition of the ownership of ideas really benefit society, or just the people with the money to stuff those ideas in a safe and sue the crap out of anybody who objects?

18. ChrisInAStrangeLand
    Meh

the future

"set in an imaginary, science-fiction world of the future"

Nineteen Seventy Four.

19. Stratman

title

Andrew Ainsworth said: "......................... I can now focus on producing authentic replicas for serious collectors of these items in the UK."

Perhaps their girlfriends can buy them one.........

20. Scott Wheeler
    Headmaster

@Michael Dunn

The light-sabre was indeed functional, as a flash unit for a Speed Graphics Graflex camera.

21. Ooo-wait-BUT!
    Trollface

use the force, not lawyers

Naughty George... that's hadly the spirit of the Jedi Way is it?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.