back to article MacBook batteries susceptible to hack attacks

Now that Apple has endowed the Mac operating system with state-of-the-art security protections, a researcher has devised new attacks that target the machine's battery. Charlie Miller, well known for his numerous attacks on iPhones and Macs, may not have achieved his ultimate objective of making a Mac spontaneously combust, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. LPF

hold on a second

Surely if you have access to the battery you alreafy have access to the damn machine?

1. bazza Silver badge

@LPF, not necessarily so...

Mac's aren't exactly immune to remote code execution attacks. It wouldn't take much more than a booby trapped website (www.makemymacgoboom.com? Anyone bought that one yet?) to run the necessary code on anyone's Mac who happened to visit it.

Human nature being what it is, it will only be a matter of time before some script kiddie tries to detonate Macs all around the world simultaneously courtesy of a trojan payload with a timed execution time, "just for the fun of it".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Homeland Security

Will make sure that the Internet gets shut down to stop something like this if it is released, no questions asked.

Its a matter of potentially thousands of fires within a short space of time, no way will they let this happen without a fight.

Maybe Obama might get to use the infamous Internet Kill Switch aka the Big Red Button.

AC/DC

3. slooth
    Stop

So: not SO secure..........

So, Lion is more secure, more robust.....

Lets see:

a) we have bad pre-emption by vendors - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/22/mac_lion_kills_celerra/ - yes, they should have run beta versions.

b) we have bad assumptions by writers - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/21/mac_os_x_lion_security/

If I can kill a machine by attacking the battery, how is this more secure than any other operating system?

Me thinks writers are too quick to spout off about the newest, bestest OS for xx-machine out there.

Geez, at least let it run a month before deciding how good or bad it is!

4. Mr Young
    Happy

Aaah, good old micros - they are everywhere

Did this guy actually read the code back from the battery micro? Did somebody somewhere forget to set the code protect options bits? Or maybe it's a default password free for all? Oops either way and I guess that'll get sorted pretty quickly

5. Matt Bucknall
    Coat

You couldn't even take it to the genius bar.

Yeah, must be real bad. If those guys can't sort it out, no one can!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you, and goodnight

I wondered when the rock bottom level of stupidity would finally reach The Reg.

The writers are still as fantastic as they've ever been - and do attend the conferences (Hi John - how are you?)

But the commentards... do you now need to fail a technology IQ test to post...?

1. Mr Young
      Happy

"rock bottom level of stupidity?" Come on?

I, at least, could try harder if this isn't good enough for you

7. Joe Montana
    Megaphone

Apple specific, or???

Is this actually an Apple specific issue, or does this apple to other machines as well?

It's not uncommon for someone to initially target apple with their research because its a high profile target, only to later admit that other vendors have exactly the same issues.

1. Tim Bates
      FAIL

Of course...

It would certainly apply to other vendors who are stupid enough to have batteries that can have firmware arbitrarily updated... But at this stage, Apple is singled out because that's the vendor it's been discovered with. Until someone goes and checks other vendors products, no one will know.

8. Andy Farley
    Thumb Down

Making things clever

is often really dumb.

9. johnnymotel
    Holmes

the original article...

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2011/07/22/apple-laptops-vulnerable-to-hack-that-kills-or-corrupts-batteries/

I would say that other vendors using similar batteries will have a similar issue as Apple. Miller is a Mac security expert and only looks at Mac. The fact that he is the first to discover it, indicates how obscure this attack is. However, I am certain that Apple and others will produce at update to create a random password.

I am certain Mr Miller had direct access via Terminal to do this hack.

So long as Mac users run their main account as Standard and not Admin, intelligent users are well protected, plus if the upgrade to Lion they will be even more protected.

10. ColonelClaw
    FAIL

Nothing to see here

Next it will be "MACBOOK IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO ATTACK FROM NAKED LUNATIC WITH AXE"

I'm willing to bet a new Macbook Air that this 'vulnerability' will never be exploited, this being barrel-scraping at it's finest.

11. Alexander Rogge

Airport security trouble

Wait until airport security finds out about this. We've seen the Dell batteries catching fire, and now we find out that laptop batteries can be hijacked remotely and set to explode. No more laptops on planes, and this after the MacBook Air just got the Transportation Security Administration's approval for carry-on luggage without suspicion.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like