back to article Bloke drives with knees while manipulating two mobes

A Norfolk man is potentially facing "six points on his licence and thousands of pounds in fines" after cops nabbed him allegedly driving with his knees while manipulating two mobile phones. The unnamed 34-year-old driver was clocked earlier this month on a 70mph stretch of the A47 near Norwich during a two-week clampdown on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Eponymous Cowherd
        Facepalm

Errm, no

You can't *obtain* a tax disc without insurance for a vehicle, but that doesn't mean that the vehicle doesn't have a valid tax disc that was obtained before the insurance ran out.

The same applies to the MOT. You need a valid MOT cert to tax a vehicle over 3 years old, but it doesn't matter if that MOT expires next month.

So it is quite possible to have an uninsured vehicle with a valid tax disc

1. Spartacus
          Boffin

Driving uninsured

Means he is not a named driver on the insured vehicle.

Not that the vehicle was uninsured, which reminds me the new expensive continious insurance requirement Will NOT stop this, what a waste of cash.

1. jolly
    Facepalm

I have...

nothing to say - I just like this icon

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hah! Take that...

...and women say men can't multitask.

3. Nigel Brown
    Joke

What you have all failed to grasp....

is that being from Norfolk, he was in all likelihood in possesion of enough fingers to be able to keep a couple on the wheel while the others were otherwise mobile-engaged.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

*splutter*

made my day that did.

Good thing is, nobody from Norfolk will get the joke so you're in the clear!

4. Kevin Johnston

The US has this nicely covered

If you do something prattish whilst at least nominally in charge of a motor vehicle, the vehicle is classified as an offensive weapon. This would enable the police to charge people who drive with a mobile clamped to their ear with 'possessing an offensive weapon in apublic place' or something similar.

The main aim was so that when people try to flee and ram people or other vehicles out of the way it could be treated as assault with a deadly weapon etc. Would be much more effective than the current methods of dealing with these oh so pleasant ladies and (more often) gentlemen.

5. Subliteratus
    Go

A ban probably won't do the trick

... directly to jail. Cos a ban's not going to stop a clown like this driving. He was already sticking 2 fingers up at everyone driving uninsured and the dual mobi action was his way of making sure everyone knows a free spirit like his can't be repressed by common sense or regard for his fellow man.

The uninsured car should be crushed and its owner invited for a short stay at one of Her Majesty's guest houses for the pathologically reckless and nasty.

/New icons but no muppets like wot I wanted. I has a sad.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Coat

A most impressive feat

Using two mobiles simultaneously AND sticking two fingers up at everyone at the same time? A man who is capable of that is perfectly capable of controlling a car without using his hands.

6. Richard Jukes

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Texting while driving is a piece of piss if you have a candybar phone that you are used to, I dont even have to look at the screen - and have not had to for 10 years. Hands free kits are cheap enough now a days tho :)

1. John H Woods Silver badge
      Happy

Can you please tell us ...

... which roads you drive on, and what sort of times we should avoid them?

7. g e
    FAIL

Sounds like Tony

An old boss from several years ago. Seriously.

Glad he got nicked, that's NO way to drive. The friggin' PHONES are sposed to be handsfree, not the fecking CAR.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Easy enough.

I used to drive the whole way to work. Roundabouts and all with my knees. I used to roll joints on the way to work. 1/2 the Journey to roll, 1/2 the journey to smoke whilst holding the ash tray (fear of hot rocks on the old work trousers). Careful timing was required for the traffic lights and gear selection the utmost importance. Once you've selected, your committed.

I'm older now and no longer smoke and work in the city so i take the bus.

City driving whilst fall down drunk.. Now there’s a skill.

:wq

1. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Only 6 points?

Using a mobile phone - 3 points

Driving without due care and attention - 3 to 9 points

Driving without insurance - 6 to 8 points

Driving without due care and attention trumps the using of a mobile phone but there should be a minimum of 9 points and a good case for 12 and a ban as the idiot doesn't deserve to be allowed on the road. (Of course, a ban isn't likely to stop him but I can dream can't I?)

10. Colin Miller

Just following the lead

of this fine example of drving.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/may/13/italian-bus-driver-two-mobiles

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He got off lightly...

It wasn't so long ago that in the eyes of the plod his multiple phones would've flagged him as a terrorist.

Clam.

12. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I wonder

what an Iranian court would mete out in punishment? Hand cut off for using the phones? Knees cut of for being used in steering? Cut the whole lot of just to be sure?

Questions, questions.

13. Scott Broukell
    Joke

He was probably just .....

.... trying to send a knee mail.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: He was probably just .....

Heh!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Well no-one has used it yet…

…so I'll use the new icon.

<-- Won't someone think of the children!

15. Ian Stephenson

Cube the car

and jail the fucker.

Heh wine in the office on a friday afternoon.

16. Charlie van Becelaere

I hate to

chunter on about gormless prats such as this wanker, but I'm too knackered to even whinge about this twee tale of this fellow's driving after an evening of plonk. It's a pukka bit of jiggery-pokery or I'm not the boffin I thought I was.

17. Lance 3

That's nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxZxjgKcsPE

18. Graham O'Brien

Met please take note

To the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Sir Paul Stephenson.

Dear Sir Paul,

Please will you do the same as Norfolk and institute a one-day clampdown on users of mobile-phones and laptops/iPads etc in London? Your conviction stats would go through the roof. And while you're at it, please can you get that truck driver who was reading a newspaper on his steering wheel last week and nearly flattened me?

Or if that's too resource-intensive, would you like to ride pillion with me (or one of your own officers) and just take a look for yourself at the proprtion of drivers using devices that take their attention away from the road? It may change your mind.

Thank you

19. chops

Devils advocate to the ranting Daily Mail'ers

Let's assume he's a busy person (patently): it's possible his insurance had lapsed and somehow was overlooked (not legally 'innocent' but bear with me); some previous commentors read rather a lot into the uninsured statement. His driving style's admittedly lacking, however let's not jump to conclusions without the full information 'eh. If the report said he's a serial drivey-without-insurancer then I apologise.

Maybe the UK's system of insurance doesn't make it as easy as it should to keep insured? Some other countries have a much more reasonable system of (state administered?) Liability insurance. Once this (relatively) inexpensive premium is paid, it's then your choice to insure your car for theft and fire and damage privately. Perhaps a significantly cheaper statutory Liabilty only premium would encourage *some* presently uninsured drivers to comply?

As a cyclist and motorcyclist (and motorist and van owner) I'd prefer if  new drivers completed a compulsory period of cycling on the roads, as a driving test prerequisite. Most poor driving habits probably stem from a disassociation with consequences and lack of empathy - that includes slowing to let people cross the road, or others out at junctions.

Mind you, it surprises me how few of the fairer sex, who I'd presumed to be more disposed towards children, appear to have empathy when I'm cycling my 2 young children to school. For example last week, within 20 yards of a crossroads on a narrow country lane, one female example of ignorance and selfishness tried to cut up / overtake (on the wrong side of the road) my bike and towed trailer containing 2 kids (I ain't no slow coach). I thought 'crikey, what an arse, that's an entirely unnecessary manouveur left super late: even if she makes it she'll have to swerve bavk over to this lane and brake hard - and I'll have to brake hard to avoid going into the back of her'. I also thought of expletives to shout when she passed (very close), but I didn't need to do anything - at that point she was within 5 yards of the tight junction, (blind to traffic turning into it) when another car turned into the lane; both had to brake hard to avoid smashing into each other as she was now effectively at the junction but on the wrong side of the road.

The look and gesticulations of the other driver said it all for me. My point is that if that lady had cycled on the road, she may have more chance of understanding how vulnerable we were and just how dangerous she was to us and others. This possibly goes back to te earlier posts about pedestrians having presumed priority on UK roads.

Got that off my chest (bank hol spare time used cathartically).

20. iMess
    Stop

My brother died..

..because a c*nt was too busy texting his gf rather than watching the road. He got banned, but only after being pressured by us, the family, and a bunch of supporters. Mobile phone use whilst behind the wheel is illegal. End of. If you do it and I catch you, I will kick your driver side door.

We need less retards on the road. The more that get caught and then let off, they will keep doing it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like