back to article Apple Digital AV Adapter

It’s not often that a mere cable merits a review of its own, but the Digital AV Adapter that Apple recently launched along with the new iPad 2 is worth a closer look. Apple Digital AV Adapter HDMI ready: Apple's Digital AV Adapter The cable plugs into the dock connector on the base of the iPad 2, and is also compatible …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

So that's £35 quid of value provided by rivals?

If this functionality is truly worth £35, then that's £35 of extra value provided by every manufacturer who just puts the standard cable connecter on the device. Well, let's call it an even £50 because you can't lose it or leave it at home when you need it. (The other commenters above don't seem to have noticed that it's not even an HDMI cable, it's just an adaptor, you still need an actual HDMI cable to get a picture on your telly).

Either way it's a rip-off, do it this way though and you'll have starstruck bloggers claiming that Apple's magical supply-chain means they can't be beat on price or value and that feature list items like HDMI output don't matter to anyone but the spec obsessed.

(Unrelated rant: do you realise that to buy a 15 inch laptop from Apple starts at £1,500, while rivals start at about a fifth(!) of that. Yes, they're not as beefy in the spec department, but why link the screen size to the computing power so tightly? No wonder Apple fans are flocking to the iPad, their favourite manufacture has got a giant hole to fill at the low end of the market.)

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
    FAIL

You all missed the fail here!

“This display is not authorized to play protected content”

That's the abject fail.

Why the hell does my display have to be authorised to show the video that I paid for? I paid for it, why can't I watch it?

If I *hadn't* paid for the video it would have worked everywhere, so all this actually achieves is to encourage unauthorised copying of 'protected' works.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"error message could be dismissed by [replugging] the cable"

TBH that seems like a small random bug and like the reviewer said it cleared up by replugging the cable. Hardly worth getting your feathers ruffled up.

Maybe the review unit didn't even have iOS 4.3.1 which fixed some issues with HDMI cable? Certainly sounds like something that can be fixed.

2. RichyS
      Stop

Handshake

Sounds like an issue with HDCP handshaking to me. HDCP handshaking is notoriously crappy (and annoys me each time I have to turn on my TV, Yamaha surround amp and Sky HD box on in the right order after the power to any one of them has been cut).

Don't blame Apple for this. It's not their DRM messing with you, it's the idiot Studios forcing HDCP on any digital video connection.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Apple could have simply not implemented HDCP

Only displays have to try to provide support for HDCP, sources are free not to bother 'protecting' the content with such a fundamentally-flawed concept.

Do you really think the studios would refuse to sell their content via iTunes over that?

Apple could have saved money and nobody outside of the studios would have ever cared - and quite likely, nobody would have even noticed! Instead they spend extra trying to implement it, getting it wrong (unsurprising as it's basically impossible to get right) and annoy their customers.

I noticed that my Freesat HD digibox doesn't actually bother with HDCP. This makes for a better experience for me, and thus I've no reason to consider 'pirated' HD video. It does flag some HD recordings as 'don't copy to external USB', presumably to remind me not to.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

"How long before <this cable> wins the X-factor?"

Charlie Brooker on the iPad2, and the HDMI cable (NSFW - contains swearing) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWnAE-SFeM

3. Gulfie
    Thumb Down

You want that cable?

Ker-CHING. Thank you sir. Now, bend over for delivery...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

35 comments and growing for a single cable

Mostly from people who don't even own an iPad.

5. hi_robb
    FAIL

A credible review?

I think not..

The reviewer admitted to carrying an episode of 'Glee' around with them FFS.

They'd probably give a 80% rating to a piece of lettuce with a steaming turd on top. Though that particular item would still be better than the cheesy TV program for 10 year old's!

Dave

6. someone up north
    Thumb Up

apple fool day

just when you though April fool day is over,

come this Apple fool day

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Nokia N8

Comes with HDMI out as standard, I think includes the cable. And is cheaper than the iPhone.

Internally the GPU does all the work running the display, the cameras, the HDMI, the 3D etc. Its all built in to one chip. I'm led to understand the iPad is the same - the GPU (not the same one as in the N8) does all the hard work, and its the same GPU in all iPads. So the cable is in fact just that, a cable, taking the already present HDMI signal available in the iPad and getting it to the display.

£35 for a simple cable is a lot of cash, when a bog standard HDMI cable (effectively the same) cost £2

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Go watch a teardown or two

I think investors in Silicon Image, Inc will disagree with you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@go watch a teardown or two

Which teardown - the iPad or the N8? (I don't need to see one of the N8).

You are going to have to explain a bit more.

2. James Hughes 1

@ac

Silicon image provide HDMI out for the iPad - is the chip built in to the iPad? If so, the HDMI signal is already present in the iPad, and therefor this must just be a fancy cable.

If not, then they must be translating some existing digital video signal in to HDMI in the cable itself.

Which is an insane way of doing it (Why not just have HDMI out anyway) , unless you want to rip off your customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There is no direct HDMI from GPU chips

The signal must always be "translated", usually by Silicon Image chips.

It's likely there's one inside this adapter. Given that even clones of this cost around ~£25 it's very likely this isn't just a bunch of copper wire.

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

N8

Yes, there is a Mini-HDMI to HDMI adaptor cable in the box with the N8.

Works fine, and Nokia have a "media centre" application (Nokia Big Screen) to help you play your photo slideshows,music, or videos on the telly. You can even control it with a WiiMote or bluetooth mouse, if you have such things on hand. Also, if you've movies on a USB stick (or external hard disk), you can plug that into the phone too, and play the videos out to the TV..

Honestly, as an iPad accessory, this has to be beyond stupid - you'll need a very long HDMI cable to keep using the iPad, or you'll need to leave it sitting right beside the TV. The dock position makes portrait use very fraught too.

On the other hand, it makes great sense as an iPhone accessory: plonk your phone on the table next to the TV, tap to set up the movie, and start playing.

My only concern is that Apple haven't improved the quality of these : the HDMI adaptor for my MacBook Air was so flimsy and poorly insulated that it frayed internally in such a way that it radiated in the WiFi bands, blocking the laptops own net connection...

8. Joey

Expensive

Yes, the adaptor IS expensive. Tell me where I can get a cheaper alternative?

When a white van driver whacked my wing mirror and cracked the glass, Toyota wanted over £120 to 'fix' it. They would only supply an entire wing mirror, which only comes primed, so it has to be sprayed to match. I eventually tracked down a replacement mirror glass for £5.50 on the web.

I can't find a cheaper HDMI AV for the iPad/iPhone adaptor online.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Try DealExtreme

They have some for ~ £25.

Still doesn't make Apple's look very overpriced. Those are some really ugly things.

9. Cyclist
    Jobs Horns

So

Ok, so it's furkin pricey for a simple adapter, but like the man says the iPad [and my iPod] doesn't have one fitted. So what to do about it?

Well. You can either do what I did which is to point out to the Apple Store people that £35 is criminal for that and I'd rather leave it on the shelf thanks very much you bunch of crooks, then leave without it;

or

You can do what I did which is to go back the following weekend and stump up the dosh for one as it's the only thing that'll do the job so tough.

It's an Apple tax. Entirely voluntary, and at the end of it what's £35? They know this. We know it. We live with it and write comments on web-sites about it, but we still pay the money.

Show me a company that sells things at manufacturer's cost + minimal markup. Most - all - manufacturers would dream of being able to load prices like Apple do. And they can because they've got the market share.

10. Cyclist
    FAIL

And

Worth adding that when I plugged the adapter into my iPod nothing came up on the TV screen - I was expecting to see all my apps in 42" HD lit up like Blackpool in October. This review is worthwhile in that respect at least as I now know that it only sends video form the right apps down the cable. So worth El Reg's time to write it and mine to read it.

Fail. On my part for not sussing what mirror might actually mean.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Display mirroring on iPad 1, iPhone 4 too

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet, but it seems the original iPad and iPhone 4 can use this adaptor for hdmi display mirroring too. Obviously it's not a feature Apple offer (they'd presumably rather you buy a new iPad 2 instead) but if your device is jailbroken it seems a single line change in a file is all that's needed to switch this on. I really hate functional pricing like this - I'd dearly love to be able to connect my original iPad to my tv, and it grates that Apple have chosen to force me to buy an iPad 2 if I want to do this rather than let me use something of theirs I already own. I've never jailbroken anything before, but it's this kind of behaviour which sorely tempts me to try.

1. Cameron Colley

You could just not buy Apple.

This is another example of the tactics which make some of us steer away from Apple. Surely everyone who own an Apple product could see this coming?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

See what coming?

Sorry I was too busy working on my Mac to read the other comments. A 60 comment thread about the cost of a cable? I'm not even going to bother.

Clearly there are no big worries in the world.

1. thecresta
          Troll

Not that busy...

But you found time to comment on the fact that you couldn't be bothered to read the other comments?

2. Cameron Colley

RE: "See what coming?"

You must be a different AC, I quote for your convenience:

"I'd dearly love to be able to connect my original iPad to my tv, and it grates that Apple have chosen to force me to buy an iPad 2 if I want to do this rather than let me use something of theirs I already own"

12. JDX Gold badge

Manufacturing cost isn't relevant

But it's still an absurd price

13. thecresta
    Thumb Down

Logic?

If Apple were to release an iPad with a built-in HDMI port, would you review the HDMI port separately?

14. Tom 38
    Go

Saw it coming, don't care.

If you buy an ipad (and I have, mk1), you know precisely what you are getting yourself in to - all the accessories are listed out there, right when you buy. You know a case will cost you £30, and if you want to stick an SD card in there, that's another £30 odd quid (funny, never needed that one).

I'll probably not need this one either, since AirPlay was trivial to setup on Linux using freely available software, I can already beam stuff on to the big screen. Might be handy for traveling though.

In one way, it's good these things aren't built in - you get a svelte tablet, light and thin, but then you need breakout cables with electronics built into them, which is pricey.

Yes, you could 'save' yourself £200 by buying something like an Archos, or an Advent Vega (shudder). They are probably quite functional devices. Personally, I want it to look good as well as operate effectively, and my power as a consumer allows me to choose that.

You also get to choose. Looks like a lot of people are just choosing to sling ad hominem attacks around, which says more about them than it does about Apple.

Any successful company knows that the price of something has no relation to the cost of manufacture or development. The price of a thing is whatever the market will bear, and quite clearly, the market is bearing this.

The poster complaining about ipods not charging from USB anymore, yep that has riled me a bit too. OK, so modern Apple batteries are better charged using a 10W adapter, rather than the 5W that a typical USB port can chuck out, but still, how about a trickle charge algorithm rather than a smug icon telling me its not charging. A cynic may say that's their way of saying 'buy a new mac', probably right.

15. Tim

DVI?

Did you try plugging in an HDMI to DVI adapter (like Apple's own, that comes with the Mac Mini)? You mentioned perhaps delivering presentations from an ipad. A DVI cable would be useful for this. VGA works too of course, but DVI is pretty widespread now.

For product demos, say, an ipad equipped with gotomypc or webex would make a back-friendly alternative to lugging around laptops to prospective customer's offices.

16. Niels 2
    FAIL

Apple design fail...

Why would Apple produce this clunker of an adapter, that will be hanging off the iPad like a ball and chain?

Retarded...

this should be a long cabe, with the breakout box for charging and HDMI on the far end of the cable, so you can hide that shit behind your TV..

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Pass through adaptor

And the obvious question is, what happens if you plug another HDMI adaptor into the pass-through port?

18. Monkeigh
    FAIL

You could argue...

'You could argue that an expensive gadget like the iPad should have HDMI as standard – but it doesn’t and that’s that.'

You could argue that they should have included this in the fucking box not charged an extra £35 for it.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Does it actually work?

Let's hope people trying to use this are in no rush - takes about five minutes for a two year old Panasonic Plasma to actually notice it's there, requiring plenty of plugging, unplugging, changing input sources and TV channels before it finally kicks in, only for you to stand up, after faffing under the TV, and pull accidentally pull the cable out resulting in another five minutes of faffing.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like