back to article Electric forcefield space sailing-ship tech gets EU funding

Finnish space boffins have been awarded €1.7m and placed in charge on an international effort to build the fastest thing ever made by the human race – namely a spacecraft propelled by the pressure of sunlight striking an enormous electrical field. The "electric solar wind sail" is not your common or garden solar sail, familiar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Lars Silver badge
    Go

Step by step

We still have warm air balloons for the pleasure of some, not that good at tacking either.

For exploring the universe I cannot see one direction being more interesting or uninteresting than any other direction.

So let the wind blow, put a Google camera on board, add some adverts, and let us and our children enjoy a (dull) "reality" show.

2. ShaggyDoggy

Getting back

It's easy, silly, since it's downhill

3. Spartacus
    Boffin

But...

when I exert a force perpendicularly on one end of a piece of string it bends... how is this different? what keeps the disc rigid?

Is there enough Coulomb electrostatic force to keep the fibres pushed outwards in a disc?

4. Ged T
    Go

Instead of spinning...

... there could be an extendable frame. Each micro wire could be tethered to the frame edge and to a central hub. Instead of spinning the wires, the electric field could be applied sequentially to each wire from the central hub. The repetition rate would provide some means of throttling and would also provide a measure of control to account for energy bursts from the star or other sources. Possibly, with a little thought to the topology, a number of extendable hubs could be used, providing the possibility of multiple axis steerage.

Finally, by making the frame (s) extendable also implies retractability; necessary to perform, say, an arrow braking manoeuvre (i.e. using a planets outer atmosphere to create 'drag' and hence decelerate...) or to minimise gravitational force induced distortion to the frame (s) during gravity sling-shot assist manoeuvres.

Just a thought...

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

It's actually a "Solar wind" sail

Solar sails primarily receive thrust from photons, which have no charge (life would get pretty interesting if photons did have charge and could then be bent around paths by magnets and electric fields).

Not sure what the balance is (charged particles c 1/3 to 1/5 light speed I think) but obviously *much* heavier.

A clever idea. BTW depending on the size of the wires during the trip and weather they are reeled out or reeled in they can also act as antenna or power receivers for beamed energy.

It looks like a system whose power source could be a better fit to the thrust of the system.

Good luck with the research programme.

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Here's a thought.

If I dream of owning a yacht, do Androids dream of Electric Sails?

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

VULTURE 2 ?

Get the canny lads of El Vulture Space Labs to build it.

8. nyelvmark
    Thumb Up

Great news

Only 1.7 million euros, and we keep the Finns happy for years. It's a load of bollocks, but there are much bigger loads of bollocks that the EU spends much more money on every year. I'm all for it.

9. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

Sorry, I forgot the possible astronauts

I hope Sara Palin and Rus Limbaugh where active there.

10. rc

It would be cool if you could use the front side for a Bussard collector...

Scooping up some hydrogen to fire the fusion drives for the trip back. Steering and braking would be kind of handy to have as well. Be sure to pack an extra helping of deuterium in your lunchbox.

That just leaves the minor detail of creating those fusion drives...

11. JDX Gold badge
    Happy

Landing and taking off is easy.

As you get near a planet, you re-use the cable to tie the ship to a convenient moon and then land on the planet... when you want to take off, simply winch up your portable space elevator.

Now, we just need electrically-conductive unbreakable super-filament...

12. taxman
    Alien

Voyager 1

And the news that once near the edge of the heliosphere the solar wind appears to be moving sideways would mean a damn good helmsman on the wheel to keep it going straight.

Time to fold the sail and only re rig once punched through?

Impressed by the Voyager 1 travels though, galloping on at a reasonable 17km/s.

1. TheRealRoland
      Happy

I see a whole new era of crossover movies...

Jack Sparrow / Flying Dutchman fighting against the Evil Overlords of Outer Space.

Disney, I'm awaiting my cheque in the mail from you.

2. Kanhef

not quite

Once you hit the heliopause, you're in interstellar space; there is no solar wind to 'sail' with.

13. Mark Oos
    Coat

Why...

...can't the launched probe just carry a cargo of water and bicarbonate of soda in separate tanks, then mix it a little at a time, letting the resulting gas out - obviously now under huge pressure, compared to the vacuum of space?

14. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

The burning question in my mind

as this is being done by the Finns, will one of them have a bit too much drink one night and brag that he can drive one of these all the way across Finland?

It could happen...

15. ian 22

Enquiring minds want to know...

Can the solar wind be used to generate power? As a magnetohydrodynamic generator perhaps?

There, I'll give you the idea gratis. Rather Arthur C. Clark-ish (inventor of the comsat) of me, eh?

16. JeffyPooh
    FAIL

It simply will not work...

It'll be a tangled mess either at the get-go, or shortly thereafter.

The Italians couldn't even get a simple tether to work without getting all tangling up.

The key false assumption in all these cables-in-space fiascos is the assumption that cables and wires and such can be controlled in the vacuum of space. As was discovered in the pre-Buzz Aldrin spacewalks, the lack of damping and fixed reference points makes controlling masses in space very difficult. Any tiny force results in motion and motion results in a tangled mess.

Mark my words! (Oh, they already are marked.)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.