back to article Steve Jobs carried 'ninja throwing stars' in hand luggage

Steve Jobs has vowed never to visit Japan again after being prevented from leaving the country with a set of ninja throwing stars, according to a local magazine. The Apple CEO apparently had a set of shuriken in his carry-on luggage when he was returning from a family vacation by private jet in July, according to SPA magazine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. SuperNintendoChalmers
      Happy

Nice

That just cost me 10 minutes, but well worth it.

1. Player_16
    Alert

He forgot to use his RDF.

Moments later, the guards could be seen giving each other hi-5's, pumpin' the air and saying 'who's yo daddy!'

2. Nudge
    Badgers

the bootnote update

behold! no mundane disappearing in a puff of smoke for ninja steve... he's gone and made the rest of the world disappear instead.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

this doesn't ring true

i can't imagine the airport staff at narita dealing with such a high profile person in such a way

having taken swords through narita a number of times the only problem was to provide evidence that they were shin-to and not culteral assets. each time the staff were incredibly helpful and extremely polite.

shuriken (or more likely shaken) would have been placed in the check in or given in the care of the flight staff

pirate cos pirates like swords but not ninjas

4. Cameron Colley

I dislike his Jobsworth as much as the next man.

However, I am not quite sure how entering your own plane with your own possesions is a bigger terrorist threat than entering it without them, since you could have left them on board.

5. Mark Jonson
    Thumb Up

Retaliation

Perhaps Steve should stop shipping Apple products to Japan. Either they'll relent from having the next piece of iJunk withheld from their possession and ship him his death stars, or he'll be doing the whole country a big favor and nobody from the Japanese government will question Steve Jobs' luggage contents again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

RE: Retaliation

Perhaps he should fold the Japanese iTunes store instead. It's not fair that they're the only one that has music, videos, etc while the rest of Asia only gets a more limited app-only store with half the apps missing.

Coat, taxi, etc.

6. Chas
    FAIL

Bullshit!

It's amazing what crap people believe without even the faintest sign of critical thinking.

FYI, the story has already been proven false. Nice to see all the Apple trolls fall over this one (see above) and making total idiots of themselves, as usual.

=:~)

1. Anonymous John

Nothing to do with Apple trolls.

If this story had featured Bill gates, the story and comments would have been exactly the same.

7. nsld
    Jobs Horns

perhaps

At his next press launch for the latest iShite they could play "enter the ninja" by Die Entwood !

8. Steve Evans

Don't blame Japan...

Just remember what country introduced, and continues to push petty security restrictions and global paranoia...

Hell, I can't even take a 125g jar or marmite in hand luggage... Attempts to argue the 125g is a measurement of mass and not volume, and the restriction is 100ml of volume fall of deaf ears too.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

No wonder...

Have you noticed the intelligence level of most airport security guards? The fact they know which way to hold the metal detector correctly is a constant source of amazement to me and gives me hope that one day we will have our monkey butlers...

They would never understand the difference betwen mass and volume...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Sounds like a fine model for generating international publicity

1) Pay an offshore tabloid news firm to run a verging-on-believable outrageous story about one's own celebrity

2) Disclaim the event, courteously

3) Reap the gains in popularity, as people run on and on about it... until the next "big news" thing, sure. If it results in a net popularity gain, that's return on investment.

I honestly don't believe Apple would have to stoop to that, today, or ever would - they're far too focused on aesthetics to ever stoop to something so crass as a publicity stunt...one might suppose.

Some other firms might feel as that it would serve them, to try such a "vapor" publicity stunt. Maybe it would even be entertaining.

....just throwing a bone out there, in a direction generally towards the west coast of the states. That should cover both Microsoft and Yahoo.

In full disclosure: I do not own any stock in any publicly traded Asian-island tabloid magazines, and neither, in Microsoft nor Yahoo Inc.

Mine's the one with a biography by PT Barnum in the pocket.

Anonymous, because it is.

10. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Jobs Horns

As much as I'd like it to be true...

I think it does not hold water. I mean, they would have to be 'very special' shuriken, as shuriken are quite easily available as far as I recall, in the US.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Chris Hunt
    Jobs Horns

Careful Now

Trying to take away his ninja-toys could cause Steve to flip out and kill people.

Now, who would win in a fight between Apple and The Pirate Bay?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh its from SPA

it would have been easier to say

the magazine that you would get if you merged hello! with the nation enquirer and printed it in japanese

it must be true

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like