back to article Dell Streak causes user fury

Dell's Streak might now be running Android 2.1, but those who've upgraded are finding the newer OS takes away more than it adds to the tablet/phone crossbreed. PC synchronisation, Windows Media Video playback and the Facebook widget are among the reported casualties of the upgrade process, and some who did manage a smooth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. lemster

Go on, i'll also bite: I love my Streak but...

I followed the update instructions to the letter, my Streak was full charged and on mains...

but ended up with:

1) an out of whack touchscreen that said i was pressing on an opposite end of the screen (for example)

2) a keyboard that started typing "L" on it's own like a stuck key

3) a menu shortcut bar that *whenever* you try and rearrange whats there reboots the whole phone.

This on top of random reboots (which TBH has happened on most smartphones i've owned since the Sony Ericsson P90)

A bit of digging and I found how to get to Factory Reset and Screen Calibration, i;ve posted what I did here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19345387.aspx

and it's fixed everything bar the Menu bar-reboot and the random reboot.

Spoken with O2 and they've said to reinstall again or get it repaired... i'll persevere.

All in all it's a great device for the typical early adopter. It's got masses of potential and the form factor is great... despite the problems I'm fully hooked on the wee beastie. However this does appear to be an utterly borked situation, for whatever reason, and Dell is being eerily silent on the matter: certainly not good from a customer relations or PR perspective.

A shame really, as thats a very easy thing to fix.

1. Asphy
        Go

Possible help

Someone I know experienced the menubar reset bug too. Solved this by flashing the 1.6 stock recovery image (the actual recovery image, not the rom) then using the stock recovery to flash the 1.6 rom.. then finally trying a clean update to 2.1 with Upgrade.pkg on the sdcard and doing the usual. May be worth a try.

A lot of fixes like this can be found on the modaco forums (android.modaco.com) as well as all the recovery and rom images as well as self cooked roms.

Off topic.. you can also get Froyo on the streak too:

http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tumblr_l3z5lz8tQf1qauiczo1_500.jpg

1. CrusaderUK
    Grenade

Rant over

Dell Streak s.t.r.e.a.k.s. and I'm heartfelt sorry that SOME people are unable to use this piece of equipment to it's full potential, or are unable to follow instructions correctly.

Why do you think IKEA have so many returns doh!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood...........

If all else fails, read the instructions.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

The buck stops at Dell and O2

I have my 'issues' with Android ( hype, fragmentation, forks, promised 'liberation' for phone users being just a pipe-dream in practice ) but in this case only Dell and O2 can take responsibility for releasing an upgrade which doesn't come up to expectations.

The trouble is ,when selling phones on the back of "Android" branding, people talking in terms of buying an "Android phone" rather than a Dell or O2 phone, then mistakes such as these impact on the Android brand itself. Most end-users won't understand the technicalities; as far as they are concerned, "Android is broken, doesn't work".

The question is whether Google can afford to put the blame on Dell and O2 to protect Android's image or whether they'll take the hit to maintain the relationship? Do Google even care while Android remains flavour of the month?

3. WonkoTheSane

At least Dell issued an upgrade!

(disgruntled Motorola Dext owner)

4. JustinN

Facebook doesn't work in 2.1

The Facebook which comes preloaded on the Desire works fine, however if you update it (which is the same version Dell streak users have), it no longer works on the Droid until you upgrade to 2.2. The bug is known by Facebook, however I have no clue if they plan to do anything about it.

1. Andrew Jones

Facebook doesn't work in 2.1

Best reason I've heard not to update to 2.2 then

5. Atonnis

'Android devices aren't aimed at the technically minded'?!?

Erm. If anything I would've thought that if ANY phone OS was aimed at the technically-minded it's Android. It's sparse, dull, but also particularly nippy and extremely expandable....which pretty much describes desktop Linux to me - a nice easy install to have a blank slate with no data, and then a few applications you set up for an hour or so and get it all working....and then wipe the whole thing, put Windows back on, load up a game and heave a huge sigh of relief.

6. Naughtyhorse

...assumption that Dell would take care of it.

there's your problem, right there

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

I hate Dell

I have neither the time, nor the patience to go into it, I just do, OK?

1. CrusaderUK
        Black Helicopters

The "doers" are dead meat ;)

When the s*** hits the fan and we're back in the dark ages - all too soon the way things are going with religious/political/social conflict, it's the thinkers who'll survive.

See you on the other side :)...........................................................

Maybe.............................................................................................

If you come to your senses............................................................

"""IT""" won't always be here for you LOL

7. /dev/null
    FAIL

Another example of why...

There's a lot to be said for software *and* hardware being engineered, tested and released by the same company. The way computers used to be, before they became commodities. To quote Scott McNealy, "the only value you can add to a banana is a bruise" :-)

1. CrusaderUK
      Happy

Variety is the spice of life

I like what ethylene does to my bananas - it makes them sweeter ;)

Mind you.

I like more than one variety of banana, or APPLE, or pear, or strawberry etc...............................:)

8. pan2008

expected.

I am waiting for October for Windows Phone 7. Android suffers from exactly the same problems Windows mobile suffered for the last 7 years. IPhone is good but don't support monopolies of software and hardware plus 50% in london have one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Berks

anyone "caught out" by the need to "replace all their data and installed applications" is clearly too stupid to be allowed to breathe/vote/reproduce. Every Android OS update I have even done has come with huge warnings that you will need to re-install apps (though data on an SD is card is safe as houses).

Getting even a heavily modded Android phone back to the pe-upgrade status is never the work of much more than an hour, if that.

Not a problem with Android, but a problem with the world being full of bleating fools.

10. MikeWolf
    FAIL

Dell sucks

Most other Android devices are moving to 2.2, and Dell JUST got 2.1? That's just sad. I'm sorry, but this is purely Dell's problem. They implemented their device on a severely out of date version of Android in the first place, then rushed and put out a half-ass patch for it. There's no excuse for this. Android 2.x has been out for a long time, and releasing a NEW product running 1.6 is inexcusable.

11. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Driver support fantasy

"work in hardware design for long enough and one gains a grudging respect for Microsoft Windows and its ability to integrate with just about any chunk of hardware. Linux still strives for the same thing with immeasurable resources at its disposal."

Not really. I've found slapping Ubuntu onto a box, it's far FAR FAAAR more likely to be able to just install and have everything work than any version of Windows. Out of the box, XP Vista and 7 all have fairly poor driver support, requiring driver downloads for loads of hardware (XP is of course worse about this since it's drivers are almost 10 years out of date.) I've found this view of Windows having such ubiquitous support to be a fantasy consisting of combining driver support of multiple Windows versions -- XP no longer supports some newer hardware since there's no XP drivers for it, while Vista and 7 have dropped support for numerous pieces of older hardware.

Anyway, I don't know what this has to do with Android or this Dell -- the Dell-added apps disappearing is strictly Dell's problem, they either didn't add those apps to the update, or didn't make sure the Dell-added apps were backed up from 1.6 and reinstalled under 2.1.. this is not a driver problem in any sense. People not backing up data, that is unfortunate, but again not a driver problem, it's difficult to do a major update of this type in place, especially if there's just not extra space on the phone. The reversed volume buttons can be strictly speaking a driver problem, but key mapping is something that will be different on almost every phone, it's not some deep driver problem, it's a lack of QA on Dell's part, there's either a table of button->keys that Dell can fix the volume keys in, or swap them higher up (between the driver and apps).

I just don't see Android supporting a lot of different hardware as a big deal. If people want a locked down, restrictive experience they can already buy an IPhone, that is not what Android is about.

1. The Other Steve
      WTF?

Oh how insightful

So a brand new install of Ubuntu, which comes with a 'kitchen sink' kernel has better immediate driver support than a ten year old copy of an unsupported and obsolete OS ?

Film at fucking 11.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like