back to article Steve Jobs denies Judas Phone antenna problems

There's nothing wrong with the iPhone 4 that isn't wrong with any other phone, says Steve Jobs. However, because Jobs and company "love our users," Apple will provide a free case to any Judas Phone owner who wants one. "There is no Antennagate," Apple's CEO told a select group of reporters gathered Friday morning on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. pip25
    Jobs Halo

I'm still pleasantly surprised...

Honestly, I never expected Apple to do even this. Steve Jobs will never admit they've made a real mistake before hell freezes over, but the offer for a free case is respectable, and most importantly, will indeed solve the reception problem for the owners without additional cost. That's what matters for the average user. Of course, it would have been a lot more stylish to just do this without all the excuses, but that would have been almost too perfect. ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Haters will hate

He must have got fedup with all the haters and the FUD.

The bumpers should have been free or uber cheap in the first place to be honest.

Everyone should be happy now.

Haters can still hate (while trying to save battery on their HTC's), fanbois get their free bumpers and wannabes can take get a refund. Everyone's a winner!

1. Chris Thomas Alpha
      Thumb Up

I own a HTC and I'm not a hater

I actually agree with his death grip, I can do it with my Hero, reliably and repeatedly, so I understand what he is saying.

I also understand that it *IS* the location of the join between antennas that is in the worst possible place, where people put their hands whilst holding the phone.

They changed the antenna design because of nokia suing them, everyone knows that, but they made a mistake, because apart from copying, they dont have any real experience.

Perhaps they'll just change the location of the join, to be on the top of the phone instead? But I aint sure what they'll need to approve if perhaps they need a new licence from the FCC.

I'm a HTC Hero owner and not a hater, but I think it should have been obvious if they had tested it properly, it seems a very odd mistake to make since finding the problem was so easy for lots of people. Dunno why they made it, but at least they owned up (and yes! they did own up, even though this page is full of people saying otherwise, learn english retards!)

3. Eddy Ito
    Coat

Just here for the comedy

"exactly how an anechoic chamber tests radio reception, he didn't say."

Can you hear me no... oh, never mind, that's someone else.

"Like Mark Twain's death, reports of the iPhone 4's reception problems have been greatly exaggerated, Jobs insisted."

He is aware that Mark Twain is, in fact, dead?

4. censored
    FAIL

Let's get this straight...

All phones suffer from this problem, it's inherent in mobiles and no-one has solved it yet. There isn't a design flaw in the device, the external antenna performs brilliantly and doesn't have any worse problem than any other phone.

Yet at the same time, fitting a bumper case corrects the problem.

Therefore, doesn't that make it a problem with the design? If the phone's chassis had the antenna inside an integral bumper then there'd be no problem.

I'll bet you £5 that iPhone 5 is a minor upgrade, while iPhone 6 is a new design that doesn't have an external antenna.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Jobs Horns

Let's get this straight...

I go for an 'external' antenna protected by a thin layer of clear plastic that sits remarkably flush with the rest of the case.

Whatever it is it's going to be external, even though it isn't. Jobs never admits he's wrong.

2. DZ-Jay

Re: Let's get this straight...

Check out the video of the presentation. Jobs doesn't say that the bumper case corrects "the problem". He said something to the effect that, "some people are unhappy because they are experiencing reception problems. They say that a bumper case will fix their problems [he was most likely referring to AnandTech and Consumer Reports]. Great! Have a free bumper case and be happy."

-dZ.

3. Chris Thomas Alpha
      Thumb Down

no, you understood it wrong

the antenna DOES perform brilliantly, but the problem is that it has an achilles heel which says if you touch the join, you short the antenna.

he admitted this mistake many times, why doesn't anyone listen to what he says, I think they just watched the first 1 minute and then made up their own minds.....ridiculous!

5. Jason Sheldon
    Headmaster

Lifetime Warranty?

Are the free rubber bumpers going to be replaced free of charge when worn or damaged? Since we would expect the iPhone to last much longer than a rubber case, and the bumper is being supplied to remedy a design flaw with the iPhone, shouldn't we be entitled to a lifetime supply of the bumpers, for the life of the iPhone 4?

1. Smokey Joe
      Jobs Horns

Nah

You're supposed to buy the iPhone5 in twelve months time. Your bumper will outlive this year's fashion statement.

2. Gene Poole

Probably not...

FWIW the snap-on case and screen protector on my iPhone 3G are almost unmarked after well over 12 months of use, so it shouldn't be an issue unless the free bumpers are much lower quality. Of course, those who treat their phones like ice hockey pucks should expect lower levels of durability.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Oh for goodness sake!

Why it needed a press conference in the first place to state the obvious that any problems with iPhones are common to all phones I didn't know until I saw the inane questions from some of the (supposedly) tech audience at the end of the press conference. Having had the whole issue of signal degradation explained virtually in words of one syllable and demonstrated on a number of other phones (which we call all see ourselves on YouTube or experience first hand anyway), some of the audience (judging by their questions) still apparently didn't get it. I think therefore we now have to assume that the Apple bashers don't want to get it and this has gone way past any rational discussion.

Whilst I haven't up until now been a rabid fan of Apple (though I am a satisfied user of an iPhone4 and some other Apple stuff) ,this issue has certainly driven me more towards the company. It is rapidly becoming apparent that the excellent service I have received as a user since I started looking at and buying their stuff is the norm and a load of the negative stuff that I have read I am now assuming comes from those who are not interested in facts but simply Apple bashing.

I dare say that I will get flamed on the Reg for this but frankly I don't give a rats... I want products that work well and have good support and Apple provide them. Every day I meet more and more regular people who have bought into the Apple ecosystem and are delighted with the products. It may well be that Steve Jobs has his faults and I am sure that Apple are out to make money but that's fine by me, all I want is good products and stellar service and that's what they provide. After this (non)issue I can now see through the smokescreen of the Apple bashers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed

Hear hear. Very well said.

7. Dan Paul
    Boffin

Anechoic Chambers are required for Antenna Testing!!!!!!!

A point of illumination to the author regarding anechoic chambers and RF antenna design.

When one considers an anechoic chamber, one usually thinks about sound echoes. (like the author)

The same echoes happen with radio frequency waves, only worse since they move a lot faster and travel farther.

The RF anechoic chamber looks quite similar one designed for sound attenuation but is made of different materials designed to absorb and trap RF energy. In fact, anechoic materials designed for RF can attenuate both sound and RF.

I have been in several large anechoic chambers designed for antenna/radio/radar signal testing throughout my career. They are an integral part of FCC part 15 and CE approval testing.

Take note Mr. Jobs, the device being tested sits in a non conductive cradle in the middle of the room. Not a good way to test how it works in the "real world" or your hand.

This is due to the high signal levels that are often being used and most technicians will not enter these spaces when the transmitter is live. Apparently, tinfoil hats and underwear don't work all that well. Most techs I've met seem to have an aversion to having their family jewels microwaved.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm

You didn't see the photo on Apple's website of a man holding the iPhone 4 to his head within the anechoic chamber then?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Testing phones...

Not quite true... yes, you use an anechoic chamber because you are trying to reproduce the effect of "free space" in a constrained environment - ie avoiding the impact of echoes (reflections for RF), diffusion and all those other wave phenomenon that happen in a room that is physically not "infinite" compared to the wavelength you're looking at.

But... the phone does NOT "sit in a non-conductive cradle in the middle of the room". That's ONE test scenario. My employer, along with every other handset maker and mobile operator in the world that wants to test phones properly, ALSO tests with simulated hands (water bags, more or less), simulated heads (ditto with a mannekin), windows (glass sheets) and walls... at different angles, signal strengths etc etc.

That's why you build a $100m. suite with 17 chambers - there's really quite a lot of testing to do...

FWIW, my guess is that the testing DOESN'T simulate the different levels of conductivity of the skin (ie some people "short" the external antennas more than others), which you wouldn't see at all in a phone with an antenna buried inside the case. Even if generally, the iPhone 4's external antenna gets a better signal than an internal one, salty sweaty people shorting the phone across the gap will have a bigger effect than they would just as acting as "bags of water" on an internal antenna.

Equally, the SOFTWARE controls how the phone responds to signal changes. Anyone who says that RF physics means that no software update could "fix" the issue is just wrong. A software update can't increase the signal strength, but it can certainly change what you do with it. You could detect the "shorted" antenna and re-work the baseband signal processing on the fly based on new tuning parameters.... if you had to... It's not as if the only antenna that works is one that is some precise number of wavelengths long, after all...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We were told by Jobs that...

The antenna design was an engineering marvel. Apple claimed this design was a step forward! This is why people have made such a big issue of this. Apple lied big time.

9. Darryl

Minor issue?

"We have both an AT&T and Verizon cell site set up on our campus" and we have no problems with reception on our iPhones.

It must be your fault for not having a cell site in your backyard.

10. Giles Jones Gold badge

Hmmm

Well, surely if you have access to all that cell testing technology you can rig a test of other phones?

Hold the phone and then get someone else to turn down the cell transmit power?

Not suggesting it was rigged, but it might be nice to see some other people repeat the test with those handsets.

11. Nathan 13
    WTF?

It affects all phones does it?

I have NEVER in my life heard of anyone who had reception problems when holding their mobile phone before this I-Phone issue.

So Apple are talking total and utter bollocks IMO.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Required

It's true, that holding phones can reduce signal. Both my HTC Magic and N1 do it. Neither of them, however, lose signal by pressing one finger against a specific (or in fact any) spot on the device.

12. Simon Williams
    Badgers

Two points

Surely, having a phone with an external antenna which can be gripped directly with the hand will make it more susceptible to RF attenuation than one in which the antenna is internal and comes into no direct contact. Yes, there will be some attenuation when you put you hand around any phone, but designing one with the antenna on the outside is asking for trouble, isn't it?

The other thing that puzzles me is why so many iPhone 4 customers *haven't* seen the problem. These millions of satisfied customers can't spend all their time in strong reception areas - they are *mobile* phones. Even if some customers are more sensitive to signal drop-off than others, it still suggests there might be a fault which only shows up on some examples of the iPhone 4.

1. handle

Why they haven't seen the problem

Because the problem only manifests itself when the phone is held in a certain way, and also in a limited set of circumstances - over a limited range of signal strengths. As you say, those in strong signal areas will not see the problem, but neither will those in dead spots. It is only in marginal areas that you will see it and not many people spend enough time in those areas to notice the difference. If you rapidly pass through a marginal area (say, entering a building) then you'll be unlikely to notice that the phone conks out slightly earlier than you expect. If the normal place you sit is in one of these areas, however, then it's quite likely you will.

2. michael porter

michael porter

I wonder if the variability in the problem could be down to something as basic as what sort of shoes the user is wearing (cue jokes about beards and sandals). I have certainly noticed when getting out of my car that I am guaranteed a belt of static with certain shoes but not others. Could static potential in the body have something to do with it?

1. Gene Poole

I don't know,

but I've long wondered the same thing. I also find that different cars give different levels of shock with the same shoes. My Volvo used to give me a bolt from hell, whereas my E-class was less viscous. My current <don't all groan at once> vehicle has an aluminum body, and I haven't had a shock yet...

13. Paul RND*1000
    Jobs Horns

So, to sum up

Steve doesn't see any problem.

Well, I suppose it *is* hard to notice that your call has been dropped when you've got your fingers jammed firmly in your ears and are singing "LALALA LA LAAA!!" at the top of your voice to drown out the, like, totally unfair criticism and stuff.

14. DEAD4EVER
    FAIL

steve jobs

sounds to me this idiot owner is trying to cover up the real problem with the antenna issue and making out its nothing. blaming the media for it er jobs the media dont make phones idiot they cover stories fool. and this is the best apple can do give cases and offer refunds god hes got to much money to the brain hes frightend his company will loose no1 spot to microsoft haha. god apple gets worse as goes on they cant be open and honest say look we need to have all the iphones recalled no thats to much for apple and there croanys and there idiot fanboys screw you apple il pick a phone thats reliable and keeps signal iphone is crap and shit anyway.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

OK..

First, I'll ignore the almost complete lack of punctuation.

Second, you are naive if you believe that the function of the media is to cover stories, It isn't. The function of the media is generally to get more readers/viewers/listeners, It doesn't make for an interestinf story that 95% of iphones pick up a good signal, so it's not really reported

15. BritBloke
    FAIL

Weird

All phones have the problem apparently.

My nexus must be broken then as it seems to work brilliantly.

1. JaitcH

My 7-year old cell ....

works in places most new cells don't. You can't beat a real antenna!

16. Monty Burns

Job's next project....

His Jedi Levels of BS .... next project now the Ipad/Iphone are done - IBAG! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYKH5EJk18

1. Danwold

There's a problem here!

I bought myself a torch yesterday and it too seems to be afflicted with the same problem. Hold it in a special way and it's fine, but give it the 'death grip' across the round glass patch and all the light is gone! This is a major design flaw, so I'll be sueing the manufacturer and demanding that all torches worldwide are recalled.

Won't be doing that with my iPhone though, seems to work just fine for me.

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit
        Stop

Apples != Oranges

Ah so you bought a torch where the light is emitted from the part a user normally grasps? No? Not the same thing then is it.

If this were an old style phone with the antenna poking out the top, people were holding the antenna and complaining then your analogy would be fair. If this were a regular style phone with an internal antenna and people were complaining of normal levels of signal loss then your analogy would be fair.

This is not a normally designed phone. The antennas are on the outside where you not only cover them but touch them too. The human body is a damn good conductor as you can prove by touching the antenna socket on a TV or the aerial on a radio. So touch the antenna on a transmitter and the signal is not going to go where it is supposed to go. Fitting a case means you no longer touch the antennas, signal loss when the antennas are covered by a hand with the phone in a case is to be expected. What is not to be expected is a greater level of signal loss when the antennas are shorted together.

The i4 has a sweet spot that causes maximum signal loss when touched and that sweet spot is just where the the hand of a right handed user naturally falls. If the sweet spot were elsewhere, middle of the top or bottom for example meaning you've got it in a strange grasp to touch it then this would not be an issue.

To be fair having the antenna on the outside means that when the antennas are not shorted together you have better than normal signal levels. It's strength is also it's weakness.

Jobs & Co have done the right thing by giving away covers. They have not done the right thing by denying their phone is any different to others on the market.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Never thunk it

OK, I would have expected a pony show like that out of Balmer, but Jobs? I wonder what Woz’s opinion is on all this? Never thought I’d utter these words again, but I actually miss John Sculley.

As for Apple’s $100 Million dollar “investment” in test chambers and PhD’s; well Steve, I think you totally pissed that money away.

Maybe Paris buys your bullshit, but anybody with at least 2 functioning brain cells can see that you're essentially hoping if you ignore all the complaints long enough, the problem will just go away.

Very sad, indeed.

18. Matt Hawkins
    Jobs Horns

Cool, Broken But Cool.

What is funny is how Apple went to great lengths to point out how clever their new antenna was and how cool it looked. The fanbois ended up with wet patches in their pants just thinking about it.

Now they've got the cool stainless steel "band" you've got to cover it up with a piece of rubber.

And if you think that piece of rubber is worth £25+ and doesn't actually cost Apple 50p then you really need to visit a Chinese sweat shop more often.

"Here we've sold you a phone with a design defect but we love you so much we're going to give you a 50p rubber to stick it in!" How cool is that !

The cult of Apple rolls on. For the iPhone 5 they will merely take £400 out of your bank account and simply give you nothing in return. Millions of Apple fans will be grateful and enter into internet arguments to defend Steve Jobs.

And as for this being a smartphone issue. BS. No one I've met with a smartphone can drop the connection to their provider with the tip of their little finger. Its design flaw with the iPhone. Its probably too late to save anyone who can't see that ...

19. Paul
    Grenade

not 1% more calls

El Reg fell for the dropped calls spin. Apple say they do not know or cannot repeat what ATT say how many calls they drop, but the i4 drops less than 1 call per hundred more than the i3.

Lets say it drops very nearly 1 call per 100 more.

So, if the i3/i3gs etc drop 10 calls in 100, then the i4 is 10% worse than the i3.

if the i3 drops 5 calls in 100, the i4 is 25% worse.

if the i3 drops 1 call in 100, the i4 is twice as bad

if the i3 drops 0.1 calls in 100, the i4 is ten times as bad.

now, I'm not saying that Apple are making the numbers up, but they chose to use stats that sound good but are meaningless. Where is The Under Cover Economist when you need him to explain bad statistics!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah so it wasn't just me

Who thought that was a very strange way to compare two phones. Especially after telling us that AT&T doesn't let on how many calls are dropped.

2. DZ-Jay

Re: yes 1% more calls

Let's, like you did, round the calls dropped by the i4 drops to just 1 more call per 100 than the i3GS:

If i3GS drops 10 calls per 100 (10%), the i4 drops 11 calls per 100 (11%). That's 1% more.

If i3GS drops 5 calls per 100 (5%), the i4 drops 6 calls per 100 (6%). That's 1% more.

If i3GS drops 1 calls per 100 (1%), the i4 drops 2 calls per 100 (2%). That's 1% more.

If the i3GS drops .1 calls per 100 (0.10%), the i4 drops 1.1 calls per 100 (1.10%). That's 1% more.

-dZ.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        FAIL

@DZ-Jay

Not, it isn't. All of your examples are an additional percentage point, but are as the original poster stated, varying percentage increases from 10% to 1000%. If you can't understand basic maths, I'd suggest you refrain from commenting on maths posts.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@DZ-Jay

Wow your so clever, 1 in a hundred = 1% who'd a thunk it.

talk about stating the obvious.

As the original poster was implying this could be 1/10th as bad or 10 times as bad as the 3GS. A number without comparision is meaningless. Your post just reiterates the number, and is pointless.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Status

How frustrating must it be to all the uncool kids to see that even with what is seen as a defect, a cool product will remain a cool product and that it will still oversell the competition... You may rant as much as you want but it will never validate your choices - as good as they may be. It is not about PR, it is not about marketing or stupidity of users as you would love it to be, but rather about how such a product has been able to grow to a cult status in such little time.

It is not sorcery: the iPhone is a premium product with a relatively low cost that provides many people with a way to have access to a 'luxury' product. This is a very common business model: BMW, Louis Vuitton to name a few...

Maybe it is time technologists or technophiles try to understand the dynamics of psychology and marketing before making comments that make them look like idiots. Try to look at the event of today in this light and you'll understand that it makes perfect business sense.

1. JaitcH
      Happy

Museums are filled with ...

cool products of their age.

Apples telephones 'age of cool' appears to be one year.

Maybe someone should write Apps emulating i4 for the HTC and other smartphones that actually work so Apple devotees can have a real working telephone with an 'Apple 4' user interface ... that would be really cool. Windows 95 can already run on Android!

My favourite handphone is my Matsushita whose antenna is removable permitting a coax cable to be attached to really, really improve coverage range - great for camping in the wilds of Canada.

21. Giles Jones Gold badge

iPhone 3G

I've just done the death grip on the iPhone 3G and it lost two bars.

I think Jobsie is fairly correct that it's a pretty common occurrence.

Who grabs the bottom of their phone and squeezes it tightly anyway?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

What is all the whingeing about -

- a bit of clingfilm wrapped round the bloody thing would sort it. Or am I missing the point ?

1. Eddie Johnson
      Coat

iCondoms

Yes, but since people buy these things more as a fashion statement than as a functional phone "a bit of clingfilm" would utterly destroy the aesthetics of the phone and thus destroy about 80% of its value. It's like wearing haute couture with a yellow raincoat over it.

23. Ian McNee
    Flame

Meh...

I thought: "I'll be fair to this Jobs character and his messianic phone: I'll check out his speech on the Apple website"

Of course when I got to Apple's website it tells me that my already-Quicktime-capable browser needs the genuine Quicktime to see the messiah perform. The link takes me to downloads for Quicktime for Windows. So...no Quicktime for Linux and Apple's website won't allow my OSS Quicktime plugin show me the messiah in Firefox.

Ah fuck it then. I'll believe what everyone else is saying about the iPhone 4 if Apple won't let me view their content in the way I want to view it. I'll stick to my unattenuated Android phone. Fuck you Apple!

24. K Price
    FAIL

JabScreen 4 sales rate under half that of Android

So they claim 3 million sales in 3 weeks. But they claimed 1.7 million sales in the first 3 days. So that means 1.3 million sales in 18 days, or 73,000 a day, which is under half the Android sales rate of 160,000 a day. Epic, epic fail.

25. Grubby

I tried it

I have just held my Satio i the "death grip" and lost 2 bars. I agree most phones lose signal depending how you hold them but I did the same thing with an iPhone 4, in the same room on the same network, but obviously a different sim, and lost all my bars :( luckily the iPhone is my mates and not mine, unfortunately for me the Satio is mine...

There does need to be some sort of standardized testing that all phone manufacturers have to pass to ensure a phone has a minimum signal quality in various positions, grips etc. Leaving it to the manufacturers has resulted in this problem which highlights all phone designers not just apple; although they get the lions share of sales and so, the lions share of abuse when things go wrong.

26. YumDogfood

This is the only way to hold it...

http://photos-p.friendster.com/photos/15/48/18428451/1_246234319l.jpg

Wonder if Steve is a Death Note fan?

27. bruceld
    Jobs Halo

Title

I wonder his Steve's liver came with a warranty.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like