back to article Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx: A (free) Mactastic experience

Ubuntu 10.04, officially available as of Thursday, is an important update for this popular Linux distro. It's a Long-Term Support (LTS) release - the first since 8.04 two years ago - and it wraps social network with media capabilities and a brace of online services in a brand new look. As an LTS edition, Lucid Lynx will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Really?

Hmmm, so you have nothing constructive to add to the debate on an alternative O/S so you decided to make trite and fatuous comments about someone's T-shirt! GPL affects every O/S, from Lord Job's sacred alter through Ballmer's Baby to the Red Devil, they ALL use some GPL in there somewhere! GPL is not just for Linux, sure a large portion of Linux code is under GPL, but personal attacks on some sad geeks dress-sense? Pretty low even for a Win-tard!

2. hmv
      Thumb Down

It's an Operating System !!

Perhaps you should ask Microsoft why Office isn't available under Linux - after all it is under OSX which has more or less the same market share. As a relative new user of MS Office, I can tell you that I think it's somewhat overrated.

Perhaps you should ask Adobe why CS4 isn't available under Linux. And GIMP isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be - I'm a fairly serious amateur photographer and will often take images into GIMP for some serious tweaking after processing with Bibble Pro (I can actually spend money on applications!) and I don't find it useless at all.

There are plenty of Linux applications out there. Just because they don't have the same names as Windows applications and don't work quite the same way doesn't make them bad.

1. Neil Hoskins
    Boffin

Netbooks

usb-creator doesn't work correctly. I had to go googling to find a workaround. So sadly, 10.04 is still not suitable for the masses.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Never used it

Unetbootin FTW!

2. Dave Gregory
    Unhappy

Cannot download release notes

Please check your internet connection.

:'(

Has Canonical been slashdotted?

3. petur
    Thumb Up

Rockbox

+10 for mentioning to run Rockbox on your iPod :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You do know how to turn a boy...

...off. "Slick", "userfriendly", "App-Store-like", "polished" - all the wrong words. I guess those of us who have to get work done with it are stuck with older versions. Oh well. Nothing new there. Maybe Fedora won't f*ck up quite so badly as Ubuntu has now. Time for a new distro, methinks... Or maybe it's back to Windows, I hear 7 is quite good and malleable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Tried it

Didn't see the point. After killing all the bling and making it useable, it's basically 9.10. No upgrade on this here machine. Crossgrade is still being considered, as well as wingrade.

5. Peter Mylward
    Thumb Up

Liking Muchly

I am using and I am liking Lucid, this is the first distro where I do not need to boot into windows, full stop. Now that IT is generally migrating net and cloudwards in general, as long as the interface is nice and supports standards, it matters little what OS you use, take your pick on what you like.

With Lucid being this good out of the box, the little niggles which meant I had to boot up into Windows to do little jobs are no more, I can access read and write fully to my NTFS partition, Ubuntu even shares my windows media folders over uPnP for my mobile devices without too much of a fuss, would like to see Windows to the same with my ext3 / xfs folders, not likely.

Its fast to boot, looks pretty and does what I want it to, I can see my personal windows upgrade cycle coming to a stop here. And all for free, thank you Canonical for the inspiration and the countless numbers of developers throwing thier weight behind it.

Top Job.

6. johnnytruant

netbooks

Worked fine on my Acer Aspire One D250 last night. It's a good idea to reformat your usb stick first, that (for some reason) often leads to failed boots. That's not an Ubuntu thing either, happens with loads of distros.

I wish they'd ship the Broadcom wireless drivers on the ISO though. Yes, they're not strictly Free, but if I cared about Proper Free, I'd be running Debian. I care about Just Working. OK, I just need to plug in a wire and download them with a few clicks, but really? Plug in a wire? I had to get up and take a few steps across the room, dammit.

As far as magic chickens go, I've given at least four non-techies a USB stick with (previous version of) netbook edition on and said "stick that in your new computer and follow the instructions, ask me if you need help" and not had a single request for help. From my point of view, Ubuntu needs considerably less support from me than Windows ever did. I occasionally get asked for recommendations for stuff to install, but that's about it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the new theme is horrible...

...maybe even worse than the old one. (imho of course)

First thing I did was install the Equinox theme: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Equinox+GTK+Engine?content=121881 which blows anything Canonical has ever made out of the water, into some different water, and then out of that water as well. Equinox currently lacks it's own set of icons but they're coming soon (apparently).

I also tweaked the fonts, in the Appearance settings, using DejaVu Sans (iirc), decreasing the point size for the desktop icons to 8, and changing the LCD anti-aliasing type effect Ubuntu uses by default (which just makes text look blurry and crap imo) to the "high contrast" setting. Now Ubuntu looks sharp and, dare I see it, beautiful.

I also found a trick to apply all those settings to the log in screen as well (you can't do it from the GUI anymore, something about xsplash?) So that hideous purple monstrosity is gone. I found a really nice wallpaper on deviantart to replace it with - but that's just personal preference.

I wish Canonical would hire someone to design them a decent theme, rather than leaving it up to us to change everything. Oh well, it was only 10 minutes work.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. John Sanders
    Linux

Still too many odd bugs

I wish Canonical would spend more time polishing and less time on the "Constant Innovation Nonsense Syndrome" (CONS) that plagues IT nowadays.

My laptop could boot with 9.10 and it does not with 10.04, honestly I do not even fancy to investigate, I will wait a month and try again. Generally they iron out lots of stuff the first month.

I do not want to just make a rant, I think this release is solid and a good improvement; some things like the VNC client show a lot of promise.

10.04 shows that a Linux desktop is indeed viable, if enough care is used to make it, and this is also a testament of what the Open Source community can achieve.

I wish Wine was in better shape (although I run a lot of Win32 tools on it though) with at least Office 2003 operating as it should, I could kiss windows goodbye once and for all, and as someone pointed out, a working blackberry sync would be just ice on the cake.

10. Colin Barfoot
    Happy

tuppence

Upgraded from the brown one on a Fujitsu Siemens laptop. Only took *three hours* - 30 mins of network time.

Seems much like the last except the doodles.

Still changes screen modes too often on boot.

Still installs cups & print drivers at every opportunity.

Still doesn't suspend / hibernate - how old is this bug?

Still doesn't support all the Fn keys.

Still doesn't allow me to enable wireless, requiring instead a manual build of acerhk - how old is that bug?

Still can't fully remove evolution / baobab with its WTF-is-that-supposed-to-show UI / pointless gnome-dictionary without removing everything else.

Other than that, it's ok.

@That Awful Puppy: re. GIMP priorities, you mean the Python command line isn't important?

11. Ari 1
    Thumb Up

Installed the final release yesterday

Installed the final release yesterday, I've been using Beta2 since it came out.

Two niggles, I have a problem with my TVtuner card which I haven't bothered to figure out, and Skype doesn't work properly with my webcam unless I start it by preloading v4llcompat, which is unnecessarily confusing. Also, skype's menus don't support the new colour scheme.

Hopefully, skype will be fixed soon, and I will work out the TVtuner crap.

In other respects I have been pleased with 10.04 (from beta2 onward). Doesn't beat my Mac for ease of use (or stability) but beats XP like a british MP in a BDSM dungeon.

The ease of install of these latest Ubuntu releases is quite amazing, and is a huge change from the bad old days of Linux where you had no idea whether basic components like mouse, keyboard and video adapter would work without hours or days of tinkering (an old Debian springs to mind).

Real effort has been put in here and the Ubuntu team deserves praise

1. Greg Eden

To fix Skype menu colours got to Skype options and change it to "System Colors" - just run the mouse up and down the grey boxes to read what they say. Once changed and restarted it all looks peachy and fits in with the desktop.

Skype and the webcams worked out of the box on my two notebooks.

12. ColonelClaw
    Stop

Still strictly for geeks

I do like Linux myself, but until they get rid of those ridiculously named folders (bin, etc, usr or whatever) and give us simple stuff like "Documents", "Program Files" or "Applications" or even "My Stuff" then no-one in the entire world other than geeks will use it as an everyday operating system.

If I were to replace the WindowsXP on my mum's laptop with Ubuntu she would be absolutely lost, and that is the fundamental problem.

1. Martin
      FAIL

Have you actuallly LOOKED at Ubuntu since about 8.04?

You have to look very hard to find /usr and /bin.

If you were to replace WinXP on your mum's laptop, help her configure the mail client and any "social" logins she needs, and show her where the Firefox icon was, she'd be fine. She might even prefer it.

1. ColonelClaw

Here's why it's strictly for geeks

Yeah I have looked at Ubuntu recently, about 4 weeks ago I stuck it on VMWare Fusion and gave it a spin for a few days. It came with an old version of Firefox, so I went to the "About this..." menu option to grab the automatic update. Er, no sign of an automatic update. Ok, so I ran the built in system-wide software update. It found loads of updates, but no new Firefox. Ok, still not a problem, I'll go to their web site and download the latest version and update it myself.

Holy shit, what a mission. After downloading and extracting an archive to my desktop it took me about an hour of messing around with a command line to get both it and Flash installed. This is mind-bogglingly archaic. Where is the double-click application installer? I get one with all Windows and Mac downloads. This is just sheer torture. My 65 year old mother would NEVER figure this one out. All I wanted was a recent version of Firefox!

As I said, still strictly for geeks only (and I'm not using geek as a dirty word, cos I am a bit of one myself)

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
          Troll

Obvious FUD

<typical Linux fanboy>

This is obvious FUD. You must enjoy circling Ballmer's $haft with your lips. As everyone knows, Ubuntu has everything you could possibly need out of the box, therefore you must be lying! Go troll somewhere else, Trolly McTrollerton!

</fanboy>

2. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

JEDIDIAH

> Holy shit, what a mission. After downloading and extracting an archive to my desktop

> it took me about an hour of messing around with a command line to get both it and

> Flash installed. This is mind-bogglingly archaic.

Yes it is mind-bogglingly archaic. That's why Ubuntu doesn't do it that way.

That sort of nonsense is for WinDOS Lemmings.

If you insist on going out of your way to do things the hard way, even the Mac won't stop you from that sort of nonsense.

3. Pawel 1
          FAIL

Re: Here's why it's strictly for geeks

>Holy shit, what a mission. After downloading and extracting an archive to my desktop it took me about an hour of messing around with a command line to get both it and Flash installed.

Really? When I want the newest Firefox on Ubuntu, I just click on Software Sources in the Control Center type in the relevant ppa (or rather copy & paste it cause I can't be bothered to remember it) and then check for updates. All in less than 60 seconds. The fact that it's done slightly different (and if you used google, you'd know how instantly) doesn't mean it's worse in any way.

Your 65 year old mother would probably just google it, get a short instruction in the first link and followed it. Unlike you, she's probably not as limited by what she knows about windows, and is probably willing to accept that she doesn't know everything and look for instructions.

As for compiling Firefox from sources (which is what I presume you've done?), you can do that on windows too. And I'm pretty sure it'll take more than an hour, with all the installing of compilers etc.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

I know what you need

.. you need the geordie Operating System. Based on Windaz2000: http://www.jardmail.co.uk/attachments/windaz2000.gif

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
      FAIL

re. strictly for geeks...FAIL FAIL FAIL with a side order of FAIL

If there is one thing that UNIX like OS's are *MUCH* better than MS, it is the consistent directory naming system.

Remember that Linux, like UNIX, is a multi-user OS, so all of *YOUR* files should be kept under *YOUR* home directory, not scattered across the *SHARED* part of the filespace. This is what makes it possible to have UNIX like systems share their userspace across a networked filesystem, compared with the absolute CRAP of roving profiles in networked Windows systems.

If you look under your home directory on Lucid (or mos of the earlier Ubuntu's), you will find a directory called Desktop, one called Documents, one called Music, one called Pictures, one called Videos and one called Downloads. They are all yours, and will never be interfered with by another user logging on using a different name. If you want more, just create them in your home directory with whatever names you like (I have a local bin and a local lib and a local tmp just for me, but then I am a dyed in the wool UNIX user).

This is one of the fundamental strengths, for as a non-privileged user, you only have write access to the files under your home directory, and a restricted number of temporary directories. So if (and when - even on Linux) you get exposed to some malicious code, only your files are at risk, not the system as a whole!

4. Peter Mylward

Odd folder names - out of sight out of mind

If you don't want to get into the bones of the system, you don't even have to bloody look at the bin, etc, mnt folders of this world. You will have a nice simple home directory, with plain English names off all your users in it, and in each one of those will be Music, Documents, Videos etc etc.

You don't need to know where things are installed particularly because unlike windows most of the time, Linux knows how to add and remove programs without leaving behind a trail of detritus and bloat.

13. David Lawrence
    Linux

are we there yet?

Have we finally got a Linux variant where it is no longer necessary to open a terminal session and....

1. type sudo apt get -fhduhreu &&&99t834890 -uyrteger grep ¦¦ more jhfgdjkhgjkfd-786578964

jkojklgfjgkl-7895475897*&*&(&%^&%^&--3 wibbly wobbly woo googoogoo (or similar)

2. type similar gibberish to re-compile your colonel (or general or air vice-marshall)

3. wear a funny hat

4. do a silly dance

5. re-boot twice

6. shut down & re-start the gui via control keys

..... just to download and install an app or (god forbid) gain access to the new hard drive you just put into your PC?

If the answer is still NO then for that reason I'm out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kiddies out in force today!

Last time I recompiled a Linux kernel was around 1998!

As you are obviously 11 years old and have a semi-serious interest in IT career, you might want to learn that word "kernel", they are used in almost ALL operating systems, even Gate's!

I needed to install Nvidia drivers, Perl modules and some other utils and apps, took me about a dozen mouse clicks, probably less than that on Windows installs ( next, next, next, next, next.... ):

1. Start package manager

( Type in my password to verify I am allowed to. "security" is a dirty word on Windows! )

2. Select the apps/utils I wanted from the list

3. Click APPLY

( Wait for downloads and installs to finish)

Use my apps! No command lines here kiddo!

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge
      WTF?

Erm... what?

First, I haven't had to do anything more complex than a few clicks to get a new app installed or recognise and format a new drive for the last eight years or so. There's very little that actually requires a complete reboot in nearly all Linux distros, unlike Windows... in fact I'd say, apart from the nonsense CLI stuff and the kernel recompile (and who ever needs to do that these days?), your post described windows more accurately than any Linux distro I've ever used. And how is restarting the gui worse than restarting the entire OS? Down and up in a couple of seconds vs waiting long enough to make a cup of coffee which, I suppose, would be a pain if you actually *wanted* that coffee.

What I'm trying to say is, you're full of it. :)

1. cmaurand
        Linux

It will recognize your drives

No matter what file system is on them. It will resize partitions and do all kinds of different formats without ever touching the command line. Just remember, though, using the command line is like driving a car with a stick shift. It gives you more control.

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
      Troll

Troll alert! David Lawrence

I hope that this was deliberate flamebait!

The only reason I've had to do something like this in the last 5 years on Dapper or Hardy is when I have tried to get some hardware working when the vendor has not done anything to make it work under Linux themselves.

Remember, when you install a new piece of hardware on Windows, you have this nice shiny round thing with the hardware (it's called a driver CD), that the vendor has put a lot of work into to make it work in Windows. If they bothered to do the same for Linux, you would never have to touch the kernel. Try getting an HP printer working in Windows without the install diskette. It's nearly impossible if it is a printer Windows does not already know about.

For joe average, who wants to write documents, or browse the web, or even plug a printer in (unless it's a Lexmark - spit), everything they need is likely to already be in the distribution, or at least in the repository.

And claiming that you have to reboot twice is rich if you are coming from a Windows environment. Just installing a system from Windows media and the driver loads for XP will require you to boot your machine many, many times more for even Windows 7 than a recent Linux (just built a Windows 7 system over Christmas myself. Easier than XP by far - nearly as easy as the Lucid install I did on my workhorse laptop this morning!)

Go on, give it a try. Build a Windows and a Ubuntu system from scratch, and report back to the thread if you dare.

4. Steven Raith
      FAIL

In a word, yes.

I installed Alpha 3 [yes, alpha] beside my Win7 RC install a month or so ago, manually set up the partitions, and forgot to see if there was an option to tell it to dual boot, and thought I had buggered it.

Nope, it saw the Win boot partition and compensated for it - I can dual boot without even having bothered to consciously set it up. Brilliant.

And I haven't had to use a terminal session for everyday stuff for about two years now.

Instead of attempting - and failing quite, quite badly - to be witty, why don't you try it, it's rather good - at least as good as the jump from Vista to Win7 in terms of "ah, that's a nice touch" moments.

It's been rock solid since A3 for me, and I'm going to download the finished ISO and throw it in my netbook later tonight with a beer [always the best way to install an OS IME]. Once I have remembered to back up /home/steven

Oh, and on a related note - to the mong crowing about /dev, /usr etc - you do realise that all your documents and app settings are installed in /home/$yourname - and all subsequent folders have friendly names, like Documents and Pictures. Another person who should really try a modern distro rather than just spouting the usual feckless, drivel of abject knuckledragging fuckwitttery.

I wouldn't describe myself particularly as a Linux zealot - I use Windows and OS X without a problem when I need to - but drivel is drivel, regardless of what you are spouting it about, and deserves exactly the same level of mocking derision where ever it is found.

Steven R

Fail to the intellectual rejects, but a Thumbs Up for Lucid - best every day distro so far IMHO.

5. johnnytruant

you haven't been keeping up

Ubuntu has been Mum-friendly for ages now. My Mum, even, runs it. She's in her sixties and doesn't even know what a command line is, let alone how to use one. It's such a non-issue, I do wish supposedly IT-literate people would stop banging on about it.

I put Ubuntu on my friend's computers and then I stop getting bothered by the kind of "how do I x", and "why won't it Y" questions I used to get all the time when they were running windows. I run crunchbang, 'cos I'm hardcore and I like configuring things using text files, but you don't have to do that kind of thing any more if you don't want to.

Why not download a LiveCD and give it a try? You don't have to install anything. (and even if you do, the Ubuntu installer is considerably easier and more friendly than the Windows ones)

1. karolbe
        Thumb Up

the same here

My parents have been using Ubuntu since almost a year. They LOVE it, they have rather slow PC which was slowed down even more by anti virus software etc. Now they can browse the web, view pictures from camera, print, play games and more for free.

They have never asked for help with Ubuntu which is also a sign that Linux IS ready for desktop.

6. cmaurand
      Linux

Yes

Yes. go to administration and install software. Lot's to choose from. You can still open the console if you want to. It boots to a GUI in less than 10 seconds.

7. Chika
      Grenade

Eh?

Yeah, I'll hold my hand up and say that I do occasionally get my hands dirty installing the more exotic apps that I might want to run. But then I'm not an Umbongo user.

But, in their defence, I can say that it has been many years now since I've worked on any version of Linux where you absolutely, positively had to do stuff like that. In many ways, a lot of the more popular flavours of Linux, whether this, or my own Linux of choice, openSUSE, or Fedora or any other major player have stuck a lot of effort into making sure that the only way that you will actually need to "open a terminal session and type sudo anything_at_all" is when you want to, rather than when they want you to. The same goes for restarting, though a kernel update still needs it (but tell me a system where it doesn't!)

As for silly hat, funny dances and the like, that's very much your own business, but send a pic into the Reg when you do so we can all have a laugh!

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Try ksplice

It can patch and "restart" your kernel without needing to reboot. Very handy.

14. Pete 2 Silver badge

Sounds very superficial

All the talk is about the colour scheme, themes, where buttons are.

*********** WHERE'S THE BEEF? *******************

Where are the _new_ applications? What can I do with this version that I couldn't do with (any of) the previous ones? Why should I go to the trouble of upgrading my workhorse 8.04 to this?

Linux always falls into the trap of promoting its features and forgets that normal people don;t care - they (we?) want benefits. Reasons why this version lets them do things better / faster / cheaper than they could before.

Until the Linux community realises that people don't care what the O/S is, they only care about what they can do with it, they are doomed to push a product that has no reason to exist.

15. blackworx
    Gates Horns

Letters but no digits

Tried it this morning. Nice painless install. If I was a "normal" person and just used my computer for MyFaceMailBookBitch I'd surely be impressed with the new social network features, but being a socially-avoidant type these hold no allure. Other than that nothing special and a few instant niggles that suggest I would get annoyed pretty quickly. e.g. On my dual-monitor setup it puts the wallpaper for the second monitor, at that monitor's lower resolution, over the top left of my main monitor, giving a weird pseudo-tiled effect. And I've no sound. Doesn't seem to like my S/PDIF with external DAC implementation no matter what hardware output I select. in fact it makes my fancy studio DAC attempt to lock on to a signal every time a sound is made, which leads me to think the output is being deactivated when there's no sound output. Overall first impression: meh.

Having said all that, it does a lot better on the hardware front than a clean install of Windows ever did.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No love for nvidia

The live cd keeps crashing with "nouveau detected gpu lockup". Definitely not stable on my run-of-the-mill 8800 GTS. Is a shame really, as 8.04 has worked for me for the last two years. I suppose I could use the alternate text installer, blacklist nouveau, download and install the nvidia proprietary module, then poke X until it works... but spare a thought for the not-so-technically-minded folk eh? That sort of faffing to get linux working belongs in the 90's, not in a flagship Ubuntu release.

1. Greg Eden

Utter bullshit

Of course you would not think to install a vesa driver to get it going an then activate proper Nvidia drivers

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

LTS should be stable

Nope, I'd hope that that the default kernel drivers used in a long-term-support Ubuntu release would be sufficiently stable to not lock up a common and fairly modern graphics chipset when doing nothing more taxing than moving the mouse pointer around when running their live cd.

2. Greg Eden

Previous post a bit harsh

Not every piece of hardware is going to work out of the box, but most will. Installing XP from scratch is a long and tedious process, harder still without a shoe box full of old driver disks. A clean Windows 7 install is better than XP, but 7 will just not work with a lot of older hardware.

Ubuntu installs are, MOST OF THE TIME, quick and painless, but with tens of millions of users and a billion combinations of hardware there is always going to a few problem devices. Any OS install will require fiddling with drivers and installing applications, but Ubuntu is generally easier than the other Linux distros or Windows 7, and a thousand years ahead of XP. People who criticize are generally also the ones who have never installed Windows from scratch.

This forum is not the place for technical answers, for that there are the Ubuntu forums. So the only conclusion is that all of these whining posts about device "X" not working are deliberate fud.

1. Intractable Potsherd
        FAIL

Sorry, Greg,

... I have done many fresh installs of WinXP, and also Linux flavours. I prefer the XP route every time - it is predictable, which Linux doesn't seem to be. If I need to know something like "install the vesa driver then ....", it is not good enough. And Linux forums - they are the place where people like me go to face truly whithering scorn from people like you, right? Ask a simple question and get ... well, I suppose it can be called help in the same way as an enema for constipation can be - useful, but not pleasant. In fact, I think that is my problem with Linux - too many people with a "I can do it, so why can't you?" attitude, and a general level of contempt for anyone that doesn't know the command line codes for 640 different operations. That is people like you, Greg ...

1. Greg Eden

Ubuntu forums

Intractable Potsherd, nice name - did your mother hate you? I have always found the Ubutnu forums very friendly. Other more hardcore distros like Debian can be unwelcoming, but Ubuntu? I think you have never actually been there and asked a question.

2. Captain Thyratron

Support forums

There's a trick to places like the Ubuntu Forums.

Tell them that their operating system is terrible on account of the failure of interest, and they'll rush to defend it, possibly by spouting off about the solution you seek in order to discredit you. Otherwise they're likely to ignore you.

1. Greg Eden

Support forums

There's a trick to the Ubuntu Forums.

Be polite and they will be polite back.

3. Martin
          Linux

XP install vs Linux?

"I have done many fresh installs of WinXP, and also Linux.....I prefer XP"

Well, I prefer Linux.

One major reason why is that a clean install of XP takes about ninety minutes on my old Dell boxes (including having to install a whole set of special drivers). A clean install of Ubuntu takes about fifteen, and just works.

17. Steve Sutton
    Stop

Apple as a goal?!?!?!

What the hell is he talking about? ubuntu would "beat Apple's OS X on features and interface polish" if you replaced the GUI with a fullscreen bash shell!

I sincerely hope that ripping off MacOS isn't the goal, as that would be 73 steps backwards. Doing so was the reason ex windows fanb0is* like myself hate the GUI in Vista / 7.

* - something of an exageration, but the GUI was always the nicest, but otherwise I always thought linux as a whole was superior.

In anycase, if the people who control ubuntu are making brain-dead decisions like moving window control buttons from their proper place now, then lord knows what else their infinite-wisdom may impart on us in the future.

Maybe it's time to dump ubuntu, before the pain comes.

1. J 3
      Linux

Agreed, but...

I agree emulating Apple's look and feel would be horrible. I am one of those people who can't learn how to like OSX, no matter how many times I use it...

That said, at least in Linux you have a choice. Changing the theme is two or three clicks on the desktop, and it will look any old way you want. Try that on OSX...

Better still, there are at least 3 or 4 other distros which are bound to look the way one likes to begin with.

18. The Original Ash
    Thumb Up

Just updated from 9.10

I'm happy so far.

As for the new theme and icon location, the theme I had before returned after update without any prompting, and a quick 30 second google search revealed the appropriate fix for the button locations in the title bar (hint: gconf-editor )

I may reply if I find anything irritating.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like