back to article MEPs to US: Hands off our bank accounts

The European Parliament has rejected a proposed interim agreement on SWIFT - under which the US gets access to European bank transactions. The wholesale export of all our bank statements began after 2001 in the name of the war on terror. The Parliament rejected the agreement by 378 votes to 196 with 31 abstentions. A proposal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

A400M, Eurofighter, EuroLeopard

Do we now get more sympathy for European technology projects instead of the "American stuff is soooo much better" blurb ?

What we need is a European General Staff and a rationalization of European Foreign Policy and Defence. Then we neither have to fear the Russian Bear or the American Bully. Actually, the EU is the No 1 economic power nowadays, if we only acted as a single entity.

We could actually bully around the Russians, think about that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

irony

the ironic thing is that the US gov is the main benefactor of 'terrorism', by arming/funding groups which then turn on them and bite the hand that fed them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hi this the 4th Reich calling the 3.5th Reich

you're black.

Yeah, yeah Lisbon treaty double edged sword isn't, we are all going to get screwed but at least you can select your brand of lube.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

How many will get to know this?

I wonder how many ordinary people in the streets will know this? Will this be mentioned on the BBC, or the newspapers? They have spent ages going on about how Europe = bad. Now, many people in the UK are brainwashed into accepting everything that Murdoch and his cronies say.

We need to get the whole of the UK to know why we need Europe. Let them know the BNP and its ilk are there to destroy life for the UK.

5. Sillyfellow
    FAIL

who's finances?

yep. the good ol usa (and other countries), are so interested in our finances, when they themselves have somehow lost billions, and cannot account for where the money went. they say they just don't know. blah de blah.

i believe they should get their own house in order before looking at our personal finances.

besides, they apparently had no interest whatsoever in 'following the money' when it came to 9/11 and other such attacks. why not? instead they're only interested in knowing absolutly everything about you, so that they can monitor and control you.

this whole hoo haa has nothing to do with security, unless of course that's defined as total control.

6. Equitas

Americans

But the more data they have, the less chance there is of their being able to do anything meaningful with it. The chances of Americans being able to harvest and utilise any significant amount of useful information are vanishingly small.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

As it were

I believe the US gubmint used to required banks to reports all transactions over 10k$, but i think that was lowered to 5k$ when they thought about it. It frankly wouldn't surprise me at all to find the NSA hoovering up all bank transactions in the US of merkins.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Commercial Espionage ?

If I knew all the financial transactions of BP with their partners around the globe I can easily guess their strengths and weaknesses. Exxon will love that INTELLIGENCE.

If I knew all the financial transactions of AIrbus they have to make to pay their suppliers, I can easily guess the economics of their manufacturing operation. Also, I know how many aircraft they currently assemble or have assembled the last few weeks. Boeing will truely love this INTELLIGENCE.

Exactly the same can be said about Siemens and General Electric.

Or Bosch and Delphi.

Or ARM and Intel.

Or SAP and Oracle.

Did the Americans promise to hand their banking transactions to us ? I have some serious doubts about that.

9. heyrick Silver badge

Redaction

Its a shame we (as in the EU) can't invoke some obscure bit of beaurocracy so that we can happily comply with the American requests, while having the ability to redact everything.

SWIFT TRANSFERS - JAN 2010 A/C XXXXXXXXXXXXX-XXXX

XXX Jan 10 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in favour of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for the sum of XXXXXXXXXX

XXX Jan 10 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in favour of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for the sum of XXXXXXXXXX

:-)

[actually I'd be surprised if businesses couldn't claim "trade secrets" on this sort of information]

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like