back to article Zuckerberg: 'I am a prophet'

Mark Zuckerberg has revealed that he is a prophet, declaring that he had foreseen that people will soon have no qualms about displaying every minute detail of their private lives on the internet. Zuckerberg revealed his gift during a staged interview with Michael Arrington at the TechCrunch awards this weekend. Critics have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Watashi

Tw*t

This is not the dawn of the classless society where everyone shares everything with everyone else. It is, in fact, the dawn of a new type of class system based around how socially aware you are. Socially aware people do NOT share everything with everyone, because they are smart enough to realise that employers or prospective husbands / wives or even insurance companies know how to use the internet and will discriminate against you on the basis of what you do and say. Socially ignorant people do not stop to think before they post sensitive information about themselves on-line and are destined to a more dificult, more lonely, more expensive adult life as their idiotic teenage transgressions and early adulthood arrogance dogs them until their deaths.

So, when I get the promotion my more highly qualified colleague deserves, and when I get to marry the girl of his dreams even though he is better looking and funnier than I am, it will be because I didn't post some stupid right-wing racist rant on some crappy social website, or because I've never had any members of EmoSlut.com on my networking site's friends list.

Zuckerberg is clearly about as socially aware as a paving slab and only has any success in his life because he was lucky enough to stumble across a great idea a few minutes before some other dotCom start-up dweeb. There are a million more Zuckerbergs tearfully wanking themselves to sleep in their parents' spare rooms as we speak.

p.s. The REAL money is going to be earned by those who figure out a way to remove all that freely shared private stuff from the interwebs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Keep telling yourself that

and those of us with a life will carry on as we are, keeping stuff on facebook private and not posting anything on the net that we woulden't say in the pub.

They way its going you will be left behind because you don't have the skills for the modern world, much like the people who end up in "admin" or wondering why the company won't let them stay on after 65 when they may have all the job skills, but still one finger type and can't find anything on the internet.

2. Dave 129
    Pint

@AC gah 11/01/2010 13:35

A fantastic post! Not laughed that loudly for quite a while. Thanks for making my evening :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF?

You've gotta be shitting me.

Stay away from this bullshit, aka FAILBOOK!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You misheard

He said "I dream of PROFITS". Wise, since dreaming is probably as near as he'll get.

5. James Condron

Behave

The guy read a Ben Elton novel, Orwell being a tad too heavy, and decided in favour of the totalitarian caricatures he was supposed to laugh at. Maybe he can do similar to what Todd Davis of LifeLock infamy did and have someone release photos of him covered in vomit from the night before, passed out on the toilet, and try to get them removed.

Or maybe he can go fuck himself.

6. Evil Auditor Silver badge

I wonder...

Putting fuckwit Zuckerberg and his pathetic FaceTube aside I'm wondering how many of the moaning commentators in here have a FB account themselves (I never could be bothered to join this virtual exhibitionist site). So do you complain that you've given away way too many personal details? This is probably the equivalent of selling one's soul in the Internet era...

I'm not in favour of Zuckerberg's idea of no privacy - indeed I believe he coulnd't be more wrong. But as long as you can choose whether you want to be a twat collecting imaginary friends among other twats and sharing whatever twats share with the rest of the world I don't care that much. And there is, finally, something positive about Zuckerberg: he with his allegedly stolen idea challenges established social norms which could start a public dispute.

7. Gulfie
    Coffee/keyboard

You WHAT?

No, I'm sorry, I don't post every detail of my life, however interesting it may be, and I never will. Privacy is important to a small but significant percentage of net users; it should be important to all - but then, like Google, Facebook's business model wouldn't work in a world where people kept stuff private.

Given the reaction to the recent Google statement in this area, I'm surprised Mr Z even went there. Another case of believing your own hype, I guess - either that, or he's full of something, not sure what...

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That is one easy prophecy

Let me see how this works :

1) create (or steal the code to) a website that allows people to share their personal life

2) make it really popular by recruiting coders to enhance its appeal (add apps) for free

3) weed out the independent thinkers by imposing arbitrary and annoying restrictions

4) make sure that most of the users that stay are sheeple that accept everything you do

5) conclude that, since your own users bend over for you on your command, the entire world will do so as well

That, obviously, is where MZ is going to fall on his teeth. When 90% of your users accept what you do it just means that you have managed to recruit people who submit to your will. Congrats on that point, obviously, but I'd rather be hanged than participate willingly in a so-called "social website".

So you won't have MY details to sell, bitch !

9. Doug Glass
    Go

And How Many of You ...

... that have posted such damning and contemptuous comments here have a Facebook account?

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So everybody is on facebook now, with privacy settings to "drop my pants"?

Last I checked this anonymous nobody wasn't, and so aren't quite a few more of the six-odd billion people around. How many "users" does facebook have, and how many of them are even real? Fifty percent sockpuppets and sign up once, forget forever accounts, perhaps? And oh, mistah prophet himself actually removed some photos from his own facebook page. What an impostor.

The sugar hill is a lie.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What a c*ck

Nuff said

12. Stone Fox
    FAIL

it always amazes me

the self righteous wank that comes out of the mouth of opinionated people who have never tried that which they are criticising.

I use facebook.

I know how non-existent data security and privacy is but I find a useful tool for keeping track of and leaving messages for friends who live in different areas or countries and my family in Australia.

Pull your collective heads out of your collective backsides, stop over-using the word sheeple and accept that it's not just text speaking teenage hoodies that find facebook useful.

Get over yourselves.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

hmmm

wow - a real prophet - nearly everyone on facebook has their profile locked down beyond belief - where's the 'open privacy' in that?!

14. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

like / don't like

i wonder if the like/don't like feature on this message board was inspired by Facebook?!

15. JimC

>"We thought this would be the social norm and we went for that," he declared.

Call me a cynic, but I interpret that as "we couldn't figure out how the hell to do the security/privacy bit so we went ahead hoping people wouldn't care". As anyone who's worked in user secuity support will tell you that was a fairly safe bet...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

When you have no standards

left to live by then you cannot attach any blame to your neighbours when they stab you in the back!

P.S

It was me who quoted that passage from the Bible as any good Christian should be proud to admit!

17. Joshua Goodall
    Big Brother

Misquotation

Zuckerberg may be a deluded egomaniac, but he didn't actually say 'I am a prophet'; that is a paraphrase and should not be in quotation marks.

18. wv9e

Woopie...

Besides the fact that most people understand that it is pretty stupid to put incriminating data on the internet , anywhere., much of facebook contains fictional data. If he was so smart he should be making money.....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like