back to article Royal Navy warship almost fires on UFOs

A Royal Navy warship may have come within seconds of opening fire on Unidentified Flying Objects above Merseyside, possibly narrowly avoiding the precipitation of an interstellar war and the extirpation of humanity by testy aliens. Reports have it that the UFOs - speculated to have been visiting spacecraft from beyond the solar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I hope the aliens are real. (God, I f**king hope they are!)

"I strongly recommend you find someone who has just returned from one of the UKs current war zones, hell find anyone currently wearing the uniform and tell them to their face they are "impotent", I'd love to see their response."

Well, they're not maybe not impotent but they probably fall into one of two categories:

1, Sent to fight in a war based on lies (no WMD in Iraq and the US/UK knew it due to the life expectancy on the chemical weapons WE sold them)

2, Sent to fight in a war based on rumour (Usama was last known to be in Iraq MONTHS before 11th September 2001 and there is STILL NO PROOF that Afghanistan had anything to do with it).

Basically this makes both our current wars complete shams. They're most likely based on oil and everyone knows it - probably including the Merseyside Aliens!

Yes, it's a risky job getting shot at but it seems to be even riskier pointing out the lies that resulted in our forces being sent to fight in the first place. "How f**king dare you say that" would be a pretty typical reaction...

Our "defence" forces seem to spend a lot of time fighting other people's wars in other countries but no-one has tried to invade the UK or any of our protectorates for over 25 years so why do we spend so much money on weapons and wars? It can't be for "defence"! The fighting isn't even on our own continent and we live on the extreme edge, as far away as you can get.

Personally, I hope the aliens are real and reveal themselves as soon as possible. Then humanity can forget about our petty silly squabbles...

Those very same silly squabbles are probably putting the aliens off! They may think we're aggressive militaristic idiots and who would blame them?

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

Caught on the hop ........

"The idea is, if you pretend that you can fend off everything, even aliens, then no enemy would dare to attack you." ....... By Britt Johnston Posted Thursday 4th June 2009 12:26 GMT

Britt,

One has a major problem whenever someone, and even aliens, realise that is is all pretend and there therefore is no possible defence against any sort of attack.

Then it is a case of Who Dares, Win Wins.

Lewis,

You are supposed to have your ear to the ground in military circles, so who has Lead Responsibility, in UK Special Forces, for CyberSpace Command and Control Configuration.

Or is that something to be supplied to the MOD from a Private Contractor and/or Mercenary Pirate ........... to Gift them a Remote Civil Power which extraordinarily renders Media and Government, their Puppets. And in that case, who would be the Decisive Procurement Officer/Head Honcho/Chief Hoover?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Peter Mc Aulay

At the moment the Type 45 is "for" trials. She is the first of class and has to undergo a rigorous evaluation process to ensure it meets all its contractual and operational requirements.

It is not too disimilar (although a lot more complicated) to Ford testing new cars all over the world in different conditions to see how they cope. If this process wasn't done I'm sure you'd be pretty miffed when your car didn't do what it was supposed to and broke down when the weather got bad - the Navy with a new ship are no different. The next one out (HMS Dauntless) will not need anywhere near as much testing (it will still get some) and will hit the front line a lot sooner after launch.

The Phalanx mountings that should of been fitted to this ship have been protecting soldiers in a desert, operated and maintained by members of the Royal Navy - Sailors in the desert!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1580574/UK-troops-in-Basra-face-fresh-insurgent-threat.html

So Lewis and Peter, where would YOU rather have these essential systems placed? In Basra or on a trials ship? Also Sea Viper (Lewis can't even get the name of the missile system correct) is due to enter service in 2010 (around the same time as the ship funnily enough) and is also undergoing a critical evaluation process.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/Type45sSeaViperMissilesOnTrack.htm

You guys criticising make me laugh, you have no idea of the complexity of a modern warship (or warplane, tank missile system etc etc), I doubt many of you have even seen one except when you go to France and sail past one or two in Portsmouth dockyard, although as an ex member of the Navy Lewis should know better. I always wonder why Lewis appears to have little loyalty to his ex shipmates and an axe to grind against the MOD. Perhaps he would like to explain it?

4. Jay
    Black Helicopters

@AC: L98A1

Ah, I remember those buggers from my time in CCF (RAF) around 1990. They jammed so often that we were fully trained on the different types of stoppages, and how to get it working again. Once on the range I pulled the trigger, all the working parts went forward but there was no bang!

5. Francis Offord
    Stop

A load of spheres

What more is there to say?

6. Daniel Wilkie

I almost raged...

I was about to rage about the RADAR powered guns and infrared decoy flares and phalanx till I read the article and realised that they weren't your words.

The Type45 is fitted for but not with, and likely will remain so after it is commisioned. The (formerly Vickers I believe) 4.5" gun is meant for shore bombardment rather than anti air and is perfectly advanced enough for what it does.

If I remember correctly, the Diamond onwards will be fitted with Phalanx when they enter service, but the Daring and Dauntless will remain without.

7. John Dougald McCallum
    Pirate

Ah

Big ships and no weapons take a bow HMS Ark Royal (not the current one silly) had the Seacat mounts and the magazines so sorry over spent on the refit so no Seacats only small arms.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong Again!

Mr Page,

Once again your contempt for your former employer and your disatisfaction with your once-chosen career path comes out to the fore.

Your experience as a "Military Expert" is woeful and your knowledge of "countermeasures" shocking - even for the junior officer you once were.

Please stop commenting on military topics like you are the only person who knows what the MoD are talking about. Your comments rather than educate and ellucidate merely worsen the uninformed opinions of the already gossip hungry, uninterested masses.

9. Bilejones

And the first response of the Governmant

Is always Violence and Destruction.

10. Magic Mushroom
    Thumb Down

Ouch!

It is most illuminating seeing the views of Lewis' former RN colleagues regarding his qualification to comment on this subject!

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=20038.html

11. Bryan W
    Alien

I hope for hostile alien contact...

... then we can focus on killing them instead of each other.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like