back to article Social workers sacked over Gary Glitter email

Fifteen social workers from South Lanarkshire Council have been given their marching orders for circulating an email featuring a picture of convicted paedophile Gary Glitter "carrying a bag with a child's head superimposed on it", Sky reports. The council was alerted to the email by a "disgusted" worker. Most of those sacked …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ringo
    Stop

I think he doth protest too much

"are obviously the kind of tabloid reading fuckwits that attend Roy Chubby Brown 'shows' or lament the passing of Bernard Manning.

That image is really and truly sick. If you even found it remotely entertaining then you are just plain evil."

Calm down there matey (Tester Posted Monday 24th November 2008 14:18 GMT)

I often find the sort of person who gets really het up about this kind of thing is either the right wing - "It's ok to bomb the sh*t out of civilians in a non-Christian country but paedophilia is right out" type or the w*nker criminal - "OK so I punched some old woman in the face to get her pension, but I'm OK really 'cos if I get the chance I'll tear the head of any paediatrician i meet" type.

People like this telling us all how offended we should be be some act or other belong to an era more like those of Jospeh McCarthy or Medieval witch hunts. If they really cared about stopping this sort of thing they'd go after the Catholic church.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Speak Your Branes

it's loony Labour/human rights nonsense. Why shouldn't people send emails which breach their contract of employment .

Paris, holding her head in fucking shame

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Government Cuts

Maybe the government can trim back some Civil Service fat to help pay for all these tax cuts by sending out inappropriate e-mails & sacking everyone who doesn't report them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

While we're on the object of terminology

I'd like to point out that having sex with a 15-year-old is not "technically paedophilia". It's illegal (in many places) but the crime is not called paedophilia, it's usually referred to as statutory rape, though the official name varies by jurisdiction. In fact there is no crime called paedophilia, period. For that reason It's also inappropriate to refer to someone as a "convicted paedophile".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Mildly amusing but...

..also very sad.

Not because of the humour, which is very black indeed, but because the image simply portrays what in some countrys the likes of Mr Gadd have been and still are doing.

Going out and buying children for sexual purposes just like we would buy beer in a supermarket.

We can get all self-righteous and distracted at council employees foolish enough to break their IT codes of conduct (and councils are all PC-extreamists these days) or forget that we tend to laugh at things in life that really scare or disgust us (although these days we have to laugh in private or with people who are worthy of our trust) and forget that the true nasties are still out there.

6. Scott

but

they took the photoshop of GG coming in thru customs/border control, and added their OWN children at risk images over the top.....

bit fucking borderline IMO

7. blackworx
    Thumb Up

@ The Other Steve

Well said

"I've heard recent amputees doing peg leg and parrot gags, they thought they were riotously funny, far better than moping around, which is presumably what you'd prefer them to do ?"

Instant flash memory of Peter Cook there..."I've got nothing against your right leg... Trouble is, neither have you!"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Another massive overreaction from employers who ought to know better.

What a world we live in.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Firing doesn't go far enough

Probably should be criminal proceedings, these people have betrayed a position of trust, and all their cases should be reopened for investigation and to check that they have not abused their position directly.

The costs of this should be borne by the miscreants, involved.

10. RW
    Linux

@ Sarah Bee

Given Wakkyjakky's penchant for "government by tabloid" you can expect to see her tabling "an act to criminalize politically incorrect thought processes" any day now.

Yes, it's Tux again, wide-eyed as ever at the shenanigans of W.j.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ever met a social worker?

If you have you probably won't be too surprised at the story.

A social worker joke with more than a grain of truth:

How many social workers does to take to change a lightbulb? None. But it takes 15 of them 6 weeks to write a report on "living with darkness".

12. Alan Fisher

Psychology of Laughter

Let's calm down here folks...as well you all know there are always sick jokes for every disaster and vile occurance which ever there has been (I've heard 9/11 jokes and, while I made disgusted noises and did not laugh, i did not get the joker arrested...) and there always will be. Why? Because we laugh at the following things;

1) Things which we find embarressing and the relief that they are happening to somone else and not us

2) Things we are afraid of (laughing in the face of death etc ) which leads to gallows humour and so forth

3) Things we are uncomfortable with and find offensive

Humour is the strangest thing we have developed and no-one truly understands it but it has some survival mechanism somewhere. PC kills this mechanism when used to excess. As I always used to say; I've heard the best Pakistani jokes from Pakistani's, the best Irish jokes from Irish people, the best Scottish jokes from Scots, the best Jewish jokes from Jews (a la Mel Brooks)....but always we have little Hitlers (oh dear, that's me done for now!) who are just desperate to get offended by something.....these people need to loosen up and regain their sense of humour because otherwise, without their built-in pressure release valve (laughter and humour, since we evolved stress, we've needed a release), they shall explode.....in a wet and unpleasant mess

13. James Anderson
    Thumb Down

Take this to the European Court.

This could be a test case to establish a sense of humor as a human right.

Just hope they dont get a German^h^h^h^h^h^hBritish judge.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Peter Kay

If you want to be really pedantic then technically paedophilia is the sexual attraction to *prepubescent* children.

An attraction to someone who is under the legal age of consent but who has started puberty is not paedophilic. Not the the Faily Fail or any of the other tabloids care about that - so long as they sell papers!

15. Daniel Garcia
    Unhappy

People Without Dark Sense of Humour Will Show Their "Dark Side" By Different Media.

I'm afraid i saw that too many times in my life.

i am sorry for those that have lost their job in this hard times.

my condolences.

16. Jon

Need a laugh

People in difficult jobs develop a darker sense of humour than those that do bugger all, sit in an office and read the daily mail all day.

People appreciate jokes about the area they work in and need a chance to destress.

My view is if it was just forwarding a joke from else where as some reports i heard say then fair enough, they should be alowed a pressure valve. (imagine spending all day looking at the darkest side of humanity)

However as other reports say they added real pics of the children they work with, that is a misuse of their position and the firing is fair.

17. Curtis

Umm, overreact much guys?

After seeign tha timage, i remembered it from somewhere (failblog or something) so i did a search, there's one link here (http://www.errorforum.com/fun-n-light-error/15896-chinese-take-away.html) that's from 2007. Granted, 'shopping some child molester in the pic maybe seen as a little outrageous... maybe. Then again, maybe some manager just had no sense of humor or was still butt-sore from her uncle givingher an enema when she was 12...

18. RogueElement
    Joke

i got that email too

It wasn't half as funny as the other Gary Glitter joke I got sent either. Something about him being into bondage I think it was... you know - a "tie" on his....

19. Seán

Mwahh

Perhaps a reason for the hypersensitivity is this:

"Lanarkshire has been announced as the host of the International Children's Games in 2011."

According to wikipedia

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like