back to article OpenGL 3.1 promise follows gamer revolt

Graphics and games engineers angered by the delayed OpenGL spec and threatening to adopt Microsoft's DirectX have been asked to hold out a little longer for promised changes. Neil Trevett, president of the cross-industry Khronos Group leading OpenGL, told The Reg on Tuesday that his consortium hoped to start the process of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom Ince
    Paris Hilton

RE: I don't trust Microsoft

"So, out of the box, Vista and XP don't support OpenGL 2."

BZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttt. Wrong!

With Windows, the version of OpenGL is dependent on the Video Driver you have installed. Windows XP places no limitations on OpenGL versions, in Windowed or Full-Screen mode. Windows Vista, only restricts OpenGL version, if running in windowed-mode AND desktop composition is enabled. However, the Windows API has made available the ability to disable desktop composition progrmamatically.

It's better to be thought of as an idiot, that to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Paris, 'cause even she knows more about Windows and OpenGL than you!

2. Patrick
    Dead Vulture

Don't let your kids read the first line of this comment

CAD companies are total c***suckers!

OpenGL was better than DirectX up until about DX8/DX9 mark, then DirectX surged ahead as being the better platform and keeping up with hardware changes. OpenGL provided the competition and motivation for Microsoft to keep on improving and releasing DirectX to compete for programmer adoption.

Now that the donkeyf*****s who mishandled for the second time (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times _______?) have royally arsed up the OpenGL spec, delivering an almost final nail in the coffin, there will be no competition in the 3D space and no decent alternative until perhaps Intels massive number of cores rendering chips in the product development pipeline.

This is not good if you are a MS/DirectX fan. MS has a history of once dominating the competition of resting on its laurels and there is a real possibility that future DX development may slip from cutting edge support of the latest hardware features.

Blame to the GPU manufacturers? Huh? Do you even know how difficult the OpenGL mismanagement nightmare has caused GPU manufacturers in time, money, programmers and grief to develop OpenGL drivers for their products. None of them even deliver a fully compliant driver, its near impossible to reach such a goal. All the GPU vendors sans one gave up and never showed up through to the end of the delivering of 3.0 OpenGL. Hence the market is fragmented into:

Intel - the worst OpenGL drivers/support in the world. You write valid OpenGL code and the Intel Drivers just f*** the arse out of what you wanted to accomplish and nothing ever works, just give up if you own an Intel chipset of ever having any OpenGL support.

ATI - Semi decent OpenGL support, more so in the past, currently OpenGL support is getting worse.

nVidia - Currently the better of the GPU manufacturers for decent OpenGL drivers/support, even then its spotty across the product line up.

OpenGL is turning into the next GLide and if they don't fix a total f***wit release I double we will even see anything beyond 3.1 released and when it is abysmal uptake by any GPU manufacturer in the form of a driver.

3. David Hayes
    Coat

@thomas.k

Actually, I think you'll find Paris doesn't find fucking to be offensive... I've seen the proof!

4. Daniel Jones

@Tom Ince

Dude, you need to learn what 'out of the box' means......

5. Tom Ince

@Daniel Jones

Out of the box Windows Vista supports OpenGL just as I mentioned....it's up to the Video Driver. It has nothing to do with the OS packaging "out of the box". Or, if it doesn, let's compare the first version of every OS.......how foolish is that?

6. Mark

re: Deprecation?

And why is that a problem when you can make the driver go "only non-deprecated functions, please!". You already have an OpenGL library which should include the functions that are deprecated, so you'd have to look them up throughout the book. Or look in the appendix.

Why is putting that in the appendix so bad? One place to look up all the deprecated functions is one way to put them. No better or worse than any other.

7. Mark
    Gates Horns

re: Through all the moaning

Well how can a specification be faster? Should it say "and to meet the spec you should be able to do 1.3Gpoly's/sec"?

What makes it faster is the hardware and driver.

DirectX10 is slower than DX9 (Crysis). Does this mean that DX10 should be scrapped because it doesn't improve performance and actually impedes it???

8. Mark

@Tom Ince

So if you don;t have a voodoo card, you have no OGL out of the box.

If the OGL is in your ATI driver, then there is no OGL out of the box. It's "Install Windows out of the box, find the driver disc in another box and put it on".

9. Daniel Jones

@Tom Ince

'First version'? I've installed many copies of XP over the years, including versions that have included SP1 AND SP2 out of the box.

They all have the same limitation; the Microsoft driver included on the windows disk (and hence is out-of-the-box) has OpenGL V1(.1), so unless the graphics card/chipset manufacturer has implemented an ICD which supports OpenGL >1, you're out of luck.

AFAIK the same is the case with VistaMe.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not all CAD

Several CAD vendors that are written for a single platform either don't use OpenGL or have deprecated its use. I find it odd that everyone has automatically piled on A***desk when they are so fully wed to Windows. Do they have any products that only support OpenGL? Their CAD packages all support D3D and it seems clear that OpenGL is only supported for legacy customers and it won't be long before they drop it entirely.

11. Mark
    Alien

I remember when

AutoCAD was the "kids'" package. What you used if you weren't REALLY a CAD designer. If you just wanted a toy.

Talking about biiging yourself up!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like