back to article Criminal record checks could hit over 14 million people

If we had suggested, ten years ago, that one day soon, the government would draw up a list of prescribed occupations: that they would build a database of millions of people who would need to register for those occupations; and that a committee of Public Safety would be set up with power of absolute veto over every individual on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Out of here

I've decided to retire abroad - only got to get through the next 5 years

Byee.

Mines the one with "get out while the goings good" on the back

2. lIsRT
    Joke

"Look at Tony & Cherri Blair ... him fingering her in the upstairs of a double decker bush."

"double decker bush"

What, George and Laura?

That would explain the expressions when Blair was at Camp David then...

3. Adam Foxton

@A J Stiles

The public's reaction to the smoking ban wasn't that extreme because it sort of made sense to those of us who don't smoke or don't smoke heavily- who are, I believe- now a majority in the UK.

Also, annoyed as they were, the smokers tried to run to the phones to organise some sort of rally against the legislation, but were out of breath before they got to them...

This isn't anything like the smoking ban, as it will end up affecting everyone- not just smokers, not just motorists, everyone. And to try to buck the system means you're a sex offender (read paedophile- there are other sex offences out there but no-one cares about those).

4. Craig Dewar

CRB Craziness

I am on my 3rd CRB in 10 months as i have just finished a PGCE. 1 for Northamptonshire, 1 for Warwickshire and now having to do one in Hampshire for my first teaching job. It is about £56 for an enhanced check. I teach business studies and I am jealous I did not think of this money making scheme. I will be doing a 4th check for working with Young Enterprise, which will be for working with the same kids in the same school. I will also have to get 5th CRB for my private Hypnotherapy practice, my school ones won't cover that!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Cyclist

"And, well, the guy sounds like the worst kind of cyclist arsehole who gives other pedallers a bad name."

But did he hit her deliberately? Or was it accidental? Try swapping the characters, rereading the story and if you come to a different conclusion, then ask yourself why?

"What if he was in a car and he honked but didn't stop?"

He would hit her, so the situation isn't comparable. As I said I don't reckon he intended to hit her, he expected to *not* hit her.

"I fear you lose superiority points by not posting under your own name"

What's in a name? Either the comments hold weight or not, you either agree with them or disagree with them. The comment shouldn't hold more weight if you agree with me in my previous 100 comments on unrelated stories, equally it shouldn't hold less if you disagreed with me...

6. Francis Fish
    Happy

T-shirt

I did suggest, as a joke, on a mailing list I use that people (well, men) are issued with a special T-shirt saying "not a paedo" when they pass a CRB. I wonder if a tatto on the forehead would be better? What do people think?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

RE: "CRB all new parents"

Great idea, should be implemented immediately!

I always said people should have to licenses to have children! I mean we used to have them for Dogs and we still have them for cars but any cretin can drop a footy team worth of sprogs on the publics shilling (thousands and thousand of shillings more likely) and they are far more dangerous than any any dog or car.

I would of course change it so we didn't exclude the hippies with spent weed convictions, they are all right really and i would instead include a questionnaire with questions regarding their attitudes to tracksuits and baseball caps as fashion or if they consider Elizabeth Duke a "Jewelers" or not.

I am sure they would call it eugenics or something, i probably wouldn't disagree, i'd be too busy building my lair with a decent games room.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

As a volunteer

.. I absolutely resent this whole f***ing CRB crap. I did not sign on to do "charitable works" (I'm in St John Ambulance). I signed on to help people out in a Medical "oops I'm bleeding" sort of emergency. NOT because I want to work with kids (I don't.. can't stand 'em). NOT because I want to work with vulnerable adults.

So now, because I feel like being nice for once in my life, I have to get lumped into the "probably guilty, deserves an ID card" category this effing Govt is so keen on expanding!!!!

Yes I know I got CRB'd when I joined, but since I am transferring area, I've got to be f***ing CRB'd AGAIN!!!! It'll probably even have to be one of these CRB+ things.

This is a joke. Once I can live with in a basic "is he unsafe/criminally minded" way, but mutiple times???? For things like a single "posession of happy smokes 16yrs ago" kind of way?

How do I get out of this whole Nu-Lab PC "everyone's a crook" world?

9. Timothy Slade

@nigel

details of employers (I think) places you've lived, etc. First one I had done, they asked me to come in and provide a fingerprint, as my details were apparently similar to someone else. As that was for a voluntary post, I nearly spat the dummy, as I don't trust the assurance that my prints will only be used to verify I wasn't that person, then destroyed and not held on record, but swallowed it instead. The next one I had done, there was no request for fingerprints.... How they could tell I wasn't the person with similar details, seeing as how they didn't have my fingerprints on record, I am kind of curious.

10. Glyn
    Flame

Worthless

The CRB check is worthless. From the moment it leaves the printer it is already out of date. That and the CRB check only records people who've been caught.

I knew someone who ran a local youth team for 20 years before being caught, god knows what the total victim count on that was. Now his life's a shambles which is some small comfort I s'pose

Because of the way they've been touted as a panacea, people think of CRB checks as a magic shield that will protect there kids from harm. Many conversations I've had where the subject has arisen have ended up with the other person saying "You wouldn't understand, you're not a parent" [shakes head]

I too have stopped doing volunteer work as have a lot of people I know, which is causing problems with all the local social/scouting/sports teams. The local footy team has only got an adults team but demands everyone involved has a CRB as kids *sometimes* come and watch :S

If anyone can explain that one, lock yourself up in a padded cell

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right of Way

Where did all this stuff about pedestrians always having right of way come from? In the UK, pedestrians have right of way on roads only at zebra crossings and road junctions. Even there, according to the Highway Code, you technically still need to claim your right of way by actually setting foot on the road before motorists are legally obliged to stop. However, drivers of vehicles (cyclists included) have a duty of care to pedestrians. It's that which should stop drivers indiscriminately slaughtering them, not some imagined "permanent right of way". This isn't the bloody Netherlands, thank God.

Oh, and while I'm ranting, will someone please tell kids who cycle across pedestrian crossings that they are on a vehicle and so I don't have to stop for them...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC Re: Cyclist

"...How fast was the cyclist going and how close in front of him did the girl step out?"

There was a group of people... while approaching the cyslist shouted "move because I'm not stopping", which suggests that he had seen them and there were maybe 3-4 seconds before the collision, during which time he didn't try to stop or avoid them. He said that he was aiming for a narrow gap in the middle of them and she happened to step into it.. he didn't attempt to stop. This is what came out in court.

Some witnesses said he came onto the pavement but there was conflicting evidence about this.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

We are governed by morons

My wife volunteered to do the posters for the bingo night of our daughter's nursery and was told she needed a CRB check. She was a primary school teacher for 15 years and has got better things to do in the evening than fill out forms. She won't be doing any more volunteering.

14. dreadful scathe

@ silly anonymous coward

re: jaywalking - the idea that crossing the road should be illegal is ridiculous ! For a driver who is quite aware there are pedestrians on the road, proving it by shouting/beeping - for them to then NOT slow down is quite rightly criminal - that cyclist should have got 3 months at least,; the incident was of his making and he could have prevented it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Errors in your facts - or at least someone's!

Every time the Soham murders come up, we get another collection of errors in the way things are worded.

I don't count two girls who came to a house of their own accord as abducted. I know what happened next was appalling, but also remember that the girls did not know Huntley and did not attend the college where he worked. They went to a different school and knew his girlfriend, and perhaps that last is the only reason that this insane plan is being played out.

This is very simple in its effect, eventually a CRB enhanced check will be valued just as much as a wad of used toilet tissue, IOW it will be total crap and no one will trust you whether you've got one or not. Remember how in Catch-22 Captain Black's loyalty oath crusade was run, no one who wasn't already seen to be loyal was allowed to sign an oath to that effect.

I despair of this insane country, but equally having looked at Privacy International's map of countries I see that only Greece has any level of protection against arbitrary measures in law and I don't imagine that this status will last for long now.

Presumably the only way out left is to go out in a blaze of glory by doing a Guy Fawkes on the bunch of clueless scum that govern us.

Posting AC because that last statement probably means I'm on the list already, and Black Helicopters for obvious reasons.

16. goggyturk
    Unhappy

Cyclist...

I don't want to comment on this but...

As a cyclist myself, I think this entire case has been overblown by the media, which seem to jump on any story about any cyclist breaking any law, anywhere and turn it into a headline. But... he saw the group step out into the road (he shouted a warning) and made no attempt to stop. Reports say that he was doing 17-23 mph when he went into them. Forget about all this 'who was at fault' crap, simple humanity demands that you don't deliberately plough into a group of people in any vehicle at any speed, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation. Don't know the person who did this, but he sounds like a classic example of a cycle nazi.

The family were pissed because he wasn't prosecuted for manslaughter, and I can totally sympathise with that.

There, that's off my chest now.

17. Tim
    Alert

Sorry if I'm covering old ground...

..can't be arsed reading 60 comments, although I'm sure they are very entertaining... anyway it seems to me that the government is moving toward a society where they can abduct...er arrest anyone and spend the next 24 hours thinking up a passable reason why. It will take mere seconds while their accusatron is operational.

Trust? The legal world destroyed it.

It's getting to be a "pick yer witchunt" kind of world.

So... seeing as we no longer have trust... or privacy for that matter, is it too much to ask that my records are used to recommend me for my ideal job? If I was the ideal candidate I should be paid handsomely? Yeah, I know, pie in the sky, but I thought I should put the idea out there, maybe someone will pick up on it.

18. Giles Jones Gold badge

Huntley lied

He lied about his name when arrested previously. This is why his background check gave him the all clear.

It's pretty simple to get around such checks. I suppose the ID card advocates will say this is more reason for ID cards.

19. Andy Enderby
    Thumb Down

common sense ?

I volunteered some time ago to assist with maintaining the IT infrastructure and website for a charity. They are now in the position of paying for 5 CRB's per week in addition to every last one of the 20 or 30 or so folks working for them in paid positions and untold numbers of volunteers. The charity runs projects that work with drug addicts (more successful than most) and some of those working with these folks have had a colourful past of their own. Each of these CRB's regardless of the background of the individual concerned is subject to yearly renewal.

My wife worked in education as a teaching assistant through an agency - Supply teachers and assistants have to be CRB'd.... for all of the agencies they are registered with, and at their own expense with no promises regarding whether or not they'll actually get any hours.....

Someone, a contracting company I suspect, is getting rich off of this, whilst those that have to be CRB'd are going to end up stealth taxed. Oh....and we have ID cards around the corner. More dollar for idiots in sharp suits, another tax on employment for those least able to pay..... great

Next we'll be expected to submit to a CRB at our own expense simply to apply for work in any of these areas. Whatever happens all taxpayers end up paying for this stupidity.

Disgusted of Birmingham

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"spent" convictions

I was under the distinct impression that convictions became "spent" after so many years and you no longer had to declare them on any job application...

secondly, I was awarded the Long Service and Good Conduct medal after 15 years of service in the forces with no blemishes on my conduct record... the joke being that everyone in the know refers to that medal as the 15 years "undetected" medal. It really meant I hadn't been caught... not that my conduct was really good... this is the same thing with the CRB check... it just means that you haven't been caught, not that you aren't doing it...

21. rick
    Unhappy

And then add all the sports

So we will have to register all the coaches, refs, umpires and in quite a few clubs the members too

Wonder when the system will have everyone on it !!!!

22. andy
    Thumb Down

@Adam Foxton

Actually, I can identify with the Smoking Ban analogy.

It's NuLabours usual way of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Smoking ban - They could have allowed some smoking bars if all employees/employers were happy to work in a smoking establishment, but no, thay had a total ban.

Then Gordon B wants to ban happy hours and cheap drinks in supermarkets - same sledgehammer cracking everyones nuts.

More recently he wants to stop 2 for 1 deals on supermarket food because according to GB most people dont eat the stuff or freeze it to eat another day -- they just waste it!!

This latest hairbrained scheme is just another sledgehammer...

23. Bob Foster
    Unhappy

don't assume malice where incompetence will do just as well

Apart from being a good generator of revenue, this also seems to be a gigantic arse covering exercise.

I've noticed this pattern with Nu Labor, something shocking occurs, the media discuss a multitude of ways it could have been avoided, happily filling all the air time they now have to fill, then the cretin, oops sorry, minister responsible introduces new legislation or process to say "we've got it covered".

Look at shootings, ban gun's and the problems disappeared, and Nu Labor have "acted decisively" to eradicate the problem -NOT!

Typical crap from a government that are controlled pretty much totally by the media and sound bite journalism

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Testosterone ranter

While you may have a point about men being demonised, the example of the cyclist who knowingly ran down a pedestrian is not a good one.

Stopping distances didn't enter into it. The cyclist stated their intentions to collide with anyone who didn't give way, rather than modifying his progress. I'm sure he didn't mean to kill her, but he *was* cycling dangerously. If while driving, someone has pulled out from a turning halfway across a road and you make no effort to avoid hitting them and they die from the impact, you are liable, even though they shouldn't have been where they were. If you didn't even touch the brakes and were leaning on the horn as you hit, then it's worse.

25. Mark White

Does this include bar staff?

I see children when I'm working behind a bar, so does that mean every member of bar/waiting on or even shop staff has to have a CRB check? This will stop a lot of students and other casual labour from applying for these sorts of jobs and probably increase the number of unemployed youths and reduce the number of people who can afford to go through university.

Smells more and more like big brother is watching you.

At the cycling issue, I cycled round a corner last night to find 5 or 6 people walking along in a line across the entire width of the road. I had to go into the mud at the side because even after ringing my bell they did not even look round to see me. I expect it would have been my fault if I had hit them and I did not want to risk it.

26. Harry Stottle

The Connection with ID Cards

is twofold.

First, as some have pointed out, the information they need in order carry out a CRB includes most of the data they want to put on their National Identity Database (excluding - thus far - biometrics)

But second and more insidious, it is a trial run of the process of introduction of the "voluntary" cards. As the article spells out in painful detail, the very existence of CRB checks is forcing more and more people to use it in order to stay in the marketplace. That is precisely how they will force everyone to use their ID Cards.

What they're learning here is just how much resistance they can expect to such tactics. The answer seems to be "not much"...

27. Tom Willis

what a bureaucracy

14+ million people needing CRBs, some of them multiple (because the CRBs are not transferrable) and renewed every year. Makes well more than 20M issued per year, or more than 2/sec. Exceeds even the workrate of getting us all NIRed up.

£50 per CRB, more than 20M per year, sounds like a £1bn+ industry to me. I'm impressed.

Could be made more efficient though. I know, make the CRBs person-centric not document-centric, like say passports. Hmm. Need to disambiguate them for that to work - say using biometrics like fingerprints or whatever. Perhaps have a network of interview centres? Oh and make the CRB an actual card thingy, with pictures and all.

Places of public entertainment are a problem, there are kids all over the place, football matches say (and clearly swimming pools, shudder). If the CRB is an actual card then we should ask to see it to permit entry. Must be swipeable then, because it would be nightmarish to have to inspect each one visually every time.

With CRBs so handy and omni-present, who needs ID cards? Bit like drivers' licenses in the States. Hardly worth designating them, even, but heck one might as well - that way they pay for the CRB *and* for the ID card! Wonderful.

Laugh or cry? I think I've decided to laugh, otherwise would have to avoid every news site, blog, TV programme or chat in the pub. Actually, perhaps we all need to be a bit more European in these here Isles - laugh uproariously and ignore the law, if not actively try to subvert it. How else to stay sane?

28. Mark

Re: @Cyclist

"But did he hit her deliberately? Or was it accidental? Try swapping the characters, rereading the story and if you come to a different conclusion, then ask yourself why?"

Doesn't really matter. It's called "defensive driving" in cars. You assume that whatever person is impinging on your line of travel is an asshat and will pick exactly the wrong manoeuvre. And so hitting the pedestrian is still what you should have been able to avoid.

It's what annoys me about cars passing too close or staying too close behind me cycling: I'm now more worried about what the audible signals mean with this car nearby rather than the space in front of me. A distraction that could lead me to wallop into some other road user (pedestrian or no) because I'm thinking about whether this car is going to cut in front or get just a little too close and not if there's something coming up which may require me to move out of the way.

29. Anonymous Scotsman

on pesimism

Surprised no-one has mentioned registering the contents of your local church/mosque/temple/standing stones under this. Hell, until they start having registered religions you could potentially work around this volunteer nonsense by claiming religious impunity, or simply lack of organisation. I dont doubt that at some point some funky politician is going to require CRB checks to be a member of a body of worshipers.

Me, I'm worrying that my miniature wargamming hobby which occasionally has me in the company of folk of indeterminate age will put me on some blacklist in the future, for no crime other than having less sense than money, and not spending it on legislated, controlled and taxed chemicals.

Anyone want to join me in emigrating to, say, Bhutan ?

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I dont get it

I guess its because I'm a yank. But whats going on with brown.

Hmm is it just me or is there a race between the UK and US to pass the most asinine laws. With any lucky those crazy gun owners in south make take out a crazy politician

31. Mike Moyle

An easy solution:

If the Gov has to pick up the tab for vetting volunteers, then the solution would be for ANYONE who thinks that they might apply for a job demanding a check take a volunteer gig first. The government then pays for all CRB checks and... okay, here I'm probably being overly optimistic... rethinks the need for the whole megillah.

(Yes, I know: they'd probably just decide to start charging for those checks... but one can hope, can't one?)

32. Glenn Charles
    Dead Vulture

As for this CRB check...

why was it members of the Register staff had to undergo it? what sort of test was that??

--Glenn

33. Mark

@Sarah Bee and "Distortion of Victimhood"

The distortion is that just because something terrible happened to someone that any pointing out of how the idiocy of the victim was, in fact, partly to blame is *exactly the same* as saying the perpetrator is not guilty.

It's a distortion that because there was a victim that they can have NO RESPONSIBILITY for their actions just because the actions resulted in some terrible consequence.

34. David
    Black Helicopters

Did I read that correctly?!?

Bottom of Page 4

Allow Single Mothers to check out the sexual history of their new partners

WHAT!!!

While it's understandable (if a little overly paranoid) that you don't want to start dating someone who's only after you for your kids, what does that say about the state of Britain today? You want to go out with a yummy mummy so you're automatically a pervert? I assume any single dads out there will be allowed to check on the history of their new girlfriend's to make sure they're not prone to displays of Munchausen syndrome? Of course not, because that hasn't (if you'll pardon the expression) been "sexed up" by the tabloids to make people more accepting of the big brotherness that's highjacked the NuLabour manifesto. Can't think of an intelligent way to solve this problem, lets spy on people! It's for their own good (and we cant blame everything on terrorists)

/rant

35. Nano nano

CRB free for volunteers

From crb.gov.uk:

"If you are a volunteer, the CRB will issue the CRB check free-of-charge. "

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And just to prove how insecure the system is.........

have a look at the website that this new system is going to be using !.Something tells me this is going to be about as secure as the CD discs that they lost.

37. Steve Hosgood
    Unhappy

After-school clubs are disappearing...

It's certainly happening. My 7-yr old son's judo club just packed up. One of the two (female) instructors was pregnant and had to take a break (obviously). The other instructor couldn't carry on because "the rules" dictate that there have to be two CRB-ed qualified people on hand at all times *and* the club needs a "young persons' officer" (also CRB checked) *and* this *and* that *and* the next thing.

This club works in a sports hall where about 60% of the parents of the children present sit along the side watching! There's no real need for anyone to have a CRB, or for a "Young Persons' Officer" or any such crap. Any youngster with a problem can step off the mat and have a parent sort it.

Sledgehammer meet nut. However, as others here have observed, I'm of the opinion that all this CRB stuff is an under-the-radar attempt to populate up the NIR to critical point. And (as others have suggested) to gauge the likely level of opposition once they go public with the NIR and ID Cards data-grab.

Is there one of those "Downing Street Online Petition" things set up yet for people to start protesting about this?

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a nightmare

I have had a CRB check (passed - whatever that means) and as I am self employed I no longer need one - yet. My work within the voluntary sector has presented a number of occassions when clear evidence has been presented that the current level of CRB checking has resulted in a downturn in volunteers for voluntary sector organisations, lack of parents taking part in school trips and other 'socially cohesive' activities upon which a healthy society relies.

My colleague's CRB check was still active when he was asked if he could attend a Social Service fete (he has a part-time fast food business). They asked if he had a CRB check (required) as he was working for 'social services'. When he replied in the affirmative they were delighted stating "we have asked lots of fast food sellers if they had CRB checks and none have!" what planet are these people on? He did say to them that as he intends to serve a huge amount of food and make money he had little time to kiddie fiddle.

This is going to be an absolute disaster. Where are this is coming from and what the Governments thinking is I have no idea.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE:"spent" convictions

There are areas where you still have to fess up to them. I applied for a job in a school many years ago and the tell us about convictions page clearly stated to include all convictions even if spent.

40. Zorro
    Stop

@Mike Moyle

Mike Moyle,

Unfortunately the GOVERNMENT has NO MONEY. IT'S ALL OUR MONEY. This is the fundamental problem with Brown Trousers and Labour. THEY THINK IT'S THEIR MONEY TO SPEND. IT'S NOT. IT'S OURS.

Just remember whenever a politician says "I put 1 billion into blah" - thats YOUR MONEY. YOU put that money into whatever, NOT the politician.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Not hard to see where this madness will end

"It's hard to see where this madness will end"

No it's not, it will end on November the 5th when we all storm the houses of parliament and hang every labour MP from the nearest lamp post. (Get your V masks from ebay!)

To the septic AC - Yes quite amazingly we have a PM who makes Bush look good. Don't gloat please we have really not had a chance to get rid of the brown trousered one so far. Given the slightest chance we will remove the one eyed c**t.

42. Moonwolf
    Black Helicopters

Paranoid? Nahhhh

"A mother has been told she cannot travel to school with her severely epileptic son because she has not been police checked."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/7500376.stm

43. A J Stiles
    Dead Vulture

@ Mark

EXACTLY! "Stop blaming the victim!" has become a mantra.

The problem is that people chant it even when the victim is in some measure responsible for what happened.

Now, considering that (1) you can get your name onto the Sex Offender's Register for taking a leak in a deserted alley and (2) councils are closing public toilets right, left and centre leaving little option, it's surely just a matter of time before everyone with a Y-chromosome is rendered unemployable.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

CRB = TSA = total stupidity and you'll never get your life back

Sorry for the Anonymous out there who got the Moderatrix stirred up. A pedestrian is not equal to a bike. A bike is not equal to a car, truck or bus. Any driver who fails to yield to the lesser vehicle is such a rude ignorant sod they don't belong on the road...period. I don't care if the pedestrian was 14, 17, or 70. I've made a point to teach my kids when driving that pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, even when they're in the wrong. It's a lot simpler than having to ever worry about whose life you took for no good reason. As for the cyclist in that story; it's a good thing that wasn't my kid (and most likely that I wasn't even at the scene); or he likely wouldn't have made it to court (in countable pieces).

It sounds to me (yes, I'm American), that the CRB is like being on the TSA list. You can get there for things you'll never know about (like this posting) and never be able to get off; especially if they use "secret" sources and "national security" and "terror" and "paedo" as keywords to frighten the senseless of the nation into submission.

45. simon maasz
    Alien

Anyone see a connection?

Adult males deciding they no longer want to do any constructive youth/charity work - sports, scouts, duke of edin, clubs etc because the perceived risks and CRB hassle are too high.

Disenfranchised youths running amok with knives because they have no role models/nothing to do that allows them to obtain some social standing/personal reward/satisfaction

Alien because I feel like one in this country

46. Geoff Hirst

Another cash trail for the lawyers...

How much does this government owe lawyers? It seems to be all they do now is generate new lines for lawyers to cash in on.

47. Nano nano

Tax exempt registration fee ?

According to HMRC.gov.uk:

"Deductions for fees and subscriptions paid to professional bodies or learned societies

A statutory fee or contribution shown in the list is allowable where employees:

* pay this out of their earnings from an employment

* are required to pay this as a statutory condition of following their employment."

Presumably these CRB fees should be tax-allowable due to their being a condition of "following the employment" ....?

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heh

"Any adult acting as an escort will, in the public gaze, be viewed as acting with the full acquiescence of the council and hence with its implied authority.

"For the protection of the council and all vulnerable persons in its care it's essential all those endowed with an authority, implicit or explicit, should meet the security requirements within the transport contract provisions."

Best not take a kid outside... sibling, offspring or friend of the family.

49. Graham Marsden
    Stop

Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act

Not many people are aware that this legislation brought in the "extreme pornography" criteria before that was even enacted in UK law. In its criteria for someone being excluded from working with children *and* adults, it says:

"conduct involving sexually explicit images depicting violence against human beings (including possession of such images), if it appears to IBB that the conduct is inappropriate"

(The IBB is the Independant Barring Board)

In other words, even before it was illegal to possess so-called "extreme porn" it could *already* get you blocked from a job.

Oh and regarding the cyclist, I would invite people to consider the following:

Whilst the National News was trumpeting how a cyclist who killed a pedestrian gets a two thousand pound fine (the family, unsurprisingly, think that's not enough of a penalty), a lorry driver in Portsmouth got a £275 fine for killing a cyclist when he (the driver) ignored a Give Way sign

Of course the first story is the "big news" because cyclists don't actually kill or injure people very often, but cyclists being mown down by careless drivers happens on a regular basis and, as such, aren't newsworthy...

<http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/Widow-outraged-at-39ludicrous39-sentence.4268357.jp>

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Trust

>I wonder how long it will be before I have to be CRB checked before I can live with my disabled wife?

I think your question might have been slightly tongue-in-cheek but a similar situation has already happened. Google "mother child crb taxi" without the quotes and you'll find some articles with headlines such as:

"Mother stopped from travelling with son in taxi to school - because she hasn't had a criminal record check"

This topic is closed for new posts.