back to article Is the earth getting warmer, or cooler?

A paper published in scientific journal Nature this week has reignited the debate about Global Warming, by predicting that the earth won't be getting any warmer until 2015. Researchers at the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences have factored in cyclical oceanic into their climate model, and produced a different forecast to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Don't worry, be happy! Duum dum de dum de dum dum dum...

The rate of global warming is much less than predicted, so if it does become a problem it won't be for a long time yet.

The contribution of manmade CO2 to global warming is not known but is probably much less than predicted as there is such a tiny amount in the atmosphere in any case.

Mankind already thrives in all environments from frozen wastes to blazing tropics to arid deserts. Some parts of the world suffer severe weather extremes and some are benign. If temperatures (and sea levels) rise and weather patterns shift over time there will be some winners and some losers. But it won't happen overnight or catastrophically so there will be plenty of time to adapt or relocate as preferred.

If the UK vanished from the face of the earth there would be no measurable impact on global CO2 levels. The idea that if we impoverish ourselves and lead a medieval lifestyle, developing nations will copy our example is laughable. They want MacDonalds, CocaCola and Toyota and compared to their recent lifestyles who can blame them?

It makes no sense at all to impoverish the nation, destroy the transport infrastructure, or suppress scientific and technological development in the UK, because if there are changes for the worst it will be the wealthiest and most advanced societies that will survive the best.

Mine's the safari jacket.....

2. ratfox
    Unhappy

@Schultz

"Scientists reached a wide consensus that [global warming is] SCIENCE!"

As a scientist, I protest against the idea that "consensus" can determine what is science.

That said, it is not surprising that we are getting different observations from different sources. It is reasonable to expect that such observations, especially on a short amount of time (only a few years) are going to differ significantly, as will the models which are built from them.

What I would like is for people to stop yelling abuse against each other every time they get different results. If we suppose earth is getting warmer by 0.6 C every year, it is normal to assume some will measure +1.2 C, and some will measure no change. Remember, science is not as exact as (we) scientists try to make it seem.

Personally, I don't doubt global warming, but I do wonder how much of it is human-made. The models are brand new and have little data to work with. Also, Earth had had tropical ages in the past, before there was any human to pollute.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ Simon 'references at my fingertips' Pope

Just because a lot of people believe something to be true does not make it true, ask any Liverpool supporter....

4. Unkle Al

@Selective data set

"Anthropomorphic climate change..." Errr, dontcha mean anthropogenic ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Schultz - Science versus fiction

"There is that whole "peer review" thing going on to assure this is properly done."

That would be nice if it was true.

First of all, to properly "peer" review the adjustments you would need to know EXACTLY what is being done to the figures. This information has never been either published or reviewed. The only information given out about the adjustments is an overly broad description of what they do. Nobody can replicate the adjustments from the description.

Secondly, in "climate science", reviews of the papers are commonly performed by reviewers who are either co-authors on other papers or who will have papers reviewed by the original author. This isn't an independent review process.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Models Creed

Sometimes you need to remember that modelling is like masturbation. You need to keep reminding yourself that it is not the real thing.

Paris, for obvious reasons.

7. Graham Bartlett

@Mad Mike

You're missing the elephant-sized point that's in the room.

Scientists usually don't create panics. Journalists usually create panics, based on scientists saying "this might possibly dodgy, so let's see if it's really a problem". Examples: MMR, thimerosol (sp?), cellphone masts, "Silent Spring", GM crops, Brent Spar - the list of non-events whipped up by publicists in need of a cheap story just goes on and on.

Conversely, when scientists get het up enough to stand up as a group and say "There's a really big problem, and we're all going to suffer if we don't collectively fix this", generally there's a pretty good reason to do it. Examples: thalidomide, CFCs, BSE, Y2K, acid rain, smoking (active and passive). And the reason all those didn't cause more problems was that people *DID* do something about them. Even then, it wasn't so great - check with people suffering from the effects of thalidomide or BSE. Or with the entire nation of Australia, who had to majorly change their attitude to exposure to the sun.

8. Onionman

@M-S-M

Acid rain will kill all the forests... -> Yes, until people realised this and started fitting FGD to heavily sulphur-emitting plant. So it didn't come to pass because *something was done about it* TRIPE - it turns out that forest death never actually affected more than 0.5% at most of the overall European Forest are (source: Gundersen et al 1998) NAPAP tested growth of trees in acid and found no acid rain effect on trees at all (part of half a billion dollars of research). So, your facts are incorrect.

GM crops will kill you... -> Not yet... Of course if something goes wrong it'll be really easy to stop the seeds spreading all over the place and contaminating normal farmland. Of course, not so much in Europe.. TRIPE. They have not killed anyone. Show me something that says they have. Also, they will not "contaminate farmland". Weeds will always out evolve something introduced, whether selectively bred or GM, so try readin up a little elementary biology. So, your facts are incorrect.

The hole in the ozone layer's will kill you... -> It certainly doesn't do you any good. Again, the agreement to ban CFCs dealt with that one, so, er, because *something was done about it* TRUE. And how bad was the problem? The increase in UV at its peak was about the same as moving from Manchester to London (Source: Chakrovarty et al, 1997). Hardly "killing", is it? But you would never have got that info from Greenpeace of FoE, would you?

You've done what the green apologists always do; you've taken my statements (will kill you/forests) which we were told at the time and come up with some different points at least two of which are based upon factual inaccuracies. Keep on bleating about the planet dying. Instead of ever saying "things may get a little worse or better", your kind of mentality is the one that always predicts catastrophe.

And then, when your type predicts catastrophe from Global warming, you wonder why you're ignored. (e.g. Al Gore, sea levels up by 20 ft. IPCC, sea levels up by max 2 ft). Has it occurred to you that things might just change a little rather than always being the END OF THE WORLD? Ever heard of the boy who cried "wolf"?

O

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Say it isn't so!

One would hope the revisionist data is explained, otherwise we would need to worry about other things like political hacks over riding engineering concerns about O rings burning through (oh wait, been there done that) or management with its own agenda ignoring ice damage to heat shield tiles (Darn! been there and done that too!), or maybe penny pinchers not paying for a final mirror check (drat, done that one!).

Geez, NASA used to be respected, now even their data is questionable. Maybe Hubble is long gone and they are just using Photoshop(r) to create pretty pictures?

10. Unkle Al

@ Everyone citing peer review

Read some of the ignored scientists comments that participated in the IPCC "peer review" process. Lots of them were flat out ignored and their contributions not included in the final mix. From their inside view of the process, it was flawed, politically motivated, and some accuse outright fraud. http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=21811

11. Mad Mike
    Paris Hilton

m-s-m

'I suppose you're talking about the USA? In the UK scientists are funded by research councils and so this argument is completely false. Also, you may be interested to read into the peer review process...'

The research councils are funded by the government which has a vested interest in people believing in global warming because that enables them to effect change by taxation!! Additionally, it doesn't really matter who supplies the money. If the scientists say there is no global warming/cooling, they get no money. If they say there is global warming/cooling, they'll get money. Simple really. Do the scientists want to live comfortable lives or exist in cardboard city/

Paris, got she's simple too.

12. Mad Mike
    Paris Hilton

Simon Pope

'I am dismayed that some readers appear to genuinely believe that scientists have a vested financial interest in pushing climate change and creating a panic. The simple truth is that climate change scientists' most fervent hope is to be wrong about climate change. Unfortunately, climate change science does not stand or fall on Mr Goddard's temperature data sets. The best scientific consensus about climate change has been derived from a large, peer-reviewed, and well-debated set of science. Readers can look at the Summary for Policymakers in the IPCC 4th Report for details. Further to that, some important current climate science (that at the time of the compilation of the 4th report was in its early stages from a scientific dilligence perspective) was not included in the IPCC assessment. This later science, taken at a whole, would seem to imply that the IPCC 4th assessment was a very conservative assessment, and that the likelihood that it is much worse is at least as likely. Readers are invited to refer to the bibliography below for an overview of this newer science.'

Scientists hope is that they can continue on living comfortable lives with money from somewhere. That's preferable to being a job nobody wants with no money.

Additionally, if the trend is upwards, what about the ice ages and hot spots throughout history (as in tens of thousands of years). The last ice age? Got colder. Should mankind have fired a few forests? What about the hot spots and cold spots before? Did mankind cause those as well? It seems nature is quite capable of swinging temperatues quite wildly and well beyond our current changes all by itself. So, why is the current change automatically attributed to humans? Just because you can't find a natural answer doesn't automatically make it mankind causing it. That's bad science, unless you're looking for the grants!!

13. Mark
    Go

Re: Can someone explain this to me, please?

Well, a fairly vain hope you'll read this, but it works somewhat like this.

When the heat is trapped at the earths troposphere, the stratosphere has less heating since it still has the same amount of solar radiation coming in but less earth re-radiation coming out.

If you want something closer to the truth than this simpler version (it's still on the "true" axis) then look into it yourself.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mad Mike

I would invite you to read some of the papers I listed earlier before engaging in 'ad hominem' argument over the motives of scientists. The very worst that could happen would be you would develop sound and defensible arguments against climate change.

15. Matthew
    IT Angle

@ m-s-m and Mad Mike

"The research councils are funded by the government which has a vested interest in people believing in global warming because that enables them to effect change by taxation!!"

I think that it's more likely that the Govt. wants to be seen "to be doing something", particularly by the vocal single issue lobbies who get lots of lovely press and all the ickle children who plead with us to save the planet.

Driving the agenda and making changes/passing laws is now more acceptable for the Govt. than to do the right thing.

16. Dr Stephen Jones

Simon Pope - thank you

"I am dismayed that some readers appear to genuinely believe that scientists have a vested financial interest in pushing climate change and creating a panic. "

But what I think dismays you the most, Simon is that the public is very aware how "science" works. They can read junk science every day in the Metro freesheet, or pay for it in the Daily Mail or Grauniad.

Very few of the scientists want to create a panic - but as Mad Mike says, all want to continue to work in scientific research.

The Piper calls the tune.

17. Mark
    Thumb Down

Re:@ Simon 'references at my fingertips' Pope

And just because the vast majority DO believe in something doesn't make it false.

So you have any FACTS to add???

And Uncle Al, please. Out of thousands a dozen were ignored. So what? Out of thousands of religious personages on telly, Ike "I'm the son of god" is ignored.

Maybe because he's a nut.

18. John Savard

Keeping Clear of Las Vegas

Any particular sequence of heads and tails is as likely as any other. When a coin is thrown 70 times in a row, one of the possible sequences is 70 heads in a row. There are many more sequences with 55 heads and 15 tails, and, of course, far, far more sequences with 35 heads and 35 tails.

But if you picked one particular sequence with 35 heads and 35 tails in it, say out of a book of random numbers, for the coin to follow that particular sequence exactly would be just as unlikely as 70 heads in a row, which is what the fellow was saying.

I would suspect, though, that the old temperatures falling would be due to the correction of a systematic error, not the result of correcting random errors - which would be very hard to correct after the fact in any case.

19. Mark
    Black Helicopters

@Mad Mike

No, Mad, the best way to continue to get funding is to ensure there's plenty of controversy going around so "we need more research to see if this is really happening or not".

Of course, if you're pre-disposed to not believing AGW, the only non-biased option is to say AGW isn't happening, isn't it.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Mark

Hmm sounds similar to the 'Nuclear Winter' scenario that they used to scare us with when I was at school. I guess that as you get older you see so many wild and contradictory scare stories that you become immune.

Young people are just too dumb to understand this. They should stick to having fun and lots of sex and leave the thinking to us old farts.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probability

Your comment about a 55/15 split seems to assume that NASA would correct their data randomly does it not?

If however they were correcting for systematic errors (which is surely the point) then then 'probability' is the wrong way of looking at things, the issue is what was the systematic error in the first place?

Perhaps you should research this or even just ask them before attempting to present your speculations in an article - just a thought.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@John Savard - Vegas

Hmm.. looks like the problem was poorly defined.

It could be read as either toss a coin 70 times and get either

a) 55 heads.

b) exactly 55 heads.

They have different probabilities of course.

Also, the statement doesn't specify a particular sequence, just a sum total of heads. you get more combinations for exactly 55 heads out of 70 than you do for 69 heads out of 70 for instance.

I think I should stay away from Vegas as well!

23. William Hart
    Boffin

Ah, yes. Global warming

Is the world getting warmer? Of course it is. Remember those honking big glaciers used to be parked in your back yard? Notice they seem to have gone missing? Why do you think that happened? There is no debate about warming; it is real and it is happening.

The only question are:

1) how much are our activities affecting this process?, and,

2) What will be the long-term effect?

i would submit that nobody knows the answers to either of those questions. In the immortal words of George Box, "All models are wrong, some are useful." We have yet to establish that any of the current climate models have reached the level of usefulness.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

"scientific proof"

Surely this involves repeating an experiment/situation from the beginnnig and getting the same results every time?

When was the last time anyone rewound the world a few thousand years and got the same results? "Scientific Proof my arse" as Jim Royle would say.

I'm not saying GW/CC is directly attributable to human activity, or that it is not. It definitely occurs - dinosaurs running around now would have a pretty rough time of it over most of the globe, which same they did not during earlier times when the globe was much hotter.

What I am saying is, until someone rewinds the Earth and gets the same results time and again, it is NOT scientific proof at all but one group of people shouting louder/longer than all the others.

And isn't it funny how nobody seriously considered Al Gore for the position of President of the United States of America, but now he's an "expert" on Global Warming, so many people believe everything he says... even above those who have years of experience in the subject.

Paris, as she's got more idea than many of these so-called "scientists".

25. PeteB

Bizzare ?

All the datasets seem to agree to me (and the slight difference between GISS and the rest is accounted for by the difference in interpolating data in polar regions)

Oh well, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

see

http://tamino.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/global2.jpg

http://tamino.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/75-08.jpg

PS - copied from tamino's site :-

All these data are temperature anomaly. Anomaly is the difference between temperature at a given time, and the average temperature for the same time of year during some reference period. So temperature anomaly doesn’t really tell you, in absolute terms, how hot or cold it is — it tells you how much hotter or colder it is, than it was (on average) during the reference period. And there’s the rub: these data sets use different reference periods. GISS uses the reference period 1951 to 1980, HadCRU used 1961 to 1990, and the satellite estimates use 1979 to 2000. The coldest of these reference periods is the 1951-1980 GISS reference, the warmest is the 1979-2000 satellite reference. That means that GISS anomaly is the difference between present temperature and a colder time period, satellite data are the difference between present temperature and a warmer time period.

We can’t directly compare the numbers in a meaningful way without compensating for the difference in reference. Otherwise, it’s just like measuring my height in inches above Shaquille O’Neill (which makes the number quite negative) while measuring a newborn child’s height in inches above the ground (which makes the number certainly positive), noting that the infant’s number is greater, and concluding that the newborn is taller than I am. If we fail to compensate for the different reference, then we expect that the GISS numbers will be highest, the HadCRU numbers next, and the satellite data lowest. And that’s exactly what we observe.

Pretty basic, right? Anybody who pontificates about trends in temperature metrics, and compares different sources of data, really should know this, right?...

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Excellent Article

What is most interesting here is that unreliable ground based temperature analysis seems to have poor correlation with other ground based temperature analysis (Hadley vs NASA) but the satellite based analysis has high correlation with other satellite analysis. This directly implies that the error from satellite measurement is far lower (although with only 2 sample points the theory isn't proven). That means I am much more likely to believe the satellite data that says temperatures have gone down for 10 years and are fractionally higher than the 30 year average, than scaremongering from the IPCC that tells us we are all already drowned by the melted icecaps.

27. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I dont believe it!

Well the title says it all

What I dont believe is the various climate models run by the 'experts'

why?

Because if you start at 1850 temperature levels, then add the amount of Co2 to the atomsphere created in the following 100 years, the various models come nowhere even close to reality.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Boring boring Register

The next time I go near reading one of these "we're the Register and now we have a climate agenda" articles will someone please shoot me. Message to El Reg - please stick to IT. It's what you know and what you're good at. You're basically a bit crap at this other stuff.

As for these comment "debates" - sheesh. Shouting about it don't make it so.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Verdict on Climate Scientists: Sad 60's hippy says:

I am just a poor boy and my story's seldom told

I've squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises

All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear

And disregards the rest .. Paul Simon 1968

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NASA - excelling in the domestic sphere

NASA recently publicly stated its Mars mission objectives were history and gardening (Reg article). Add now expertise in spinning, and cooking numbers.

What the world needs is real scientists with balls to start reproducing very fast before they all die out, because once the domestic scientists that are left cause governments to herd us back into caves for our childrens' safety (and their convenience), there will be no-one left to remember that you can do a lot physics with a piece of string.

31. Lego Me Eggo
    Thumb Down

What A Load of Hooey! (I tried to be polite.)

This article reminds me of those Fundamentalist religious types that use the Bible to justify their latest intolerance and bigotry. You can find it in there somewhere and twist it around to where it says we need to hate all gays or ethnic types, or beat your child regularly. Look hard enough and you can prove whatever your agenda is.

My guess is that The Register hired someone they knew would say what they wanted him to say. Why? To create controversy? To get more readers? To get people riled up? They actually believe that humans aren't affecting world climate?? Who knows. The bottom line is that both of the first graphs are showing a general rise in temperature since the last 25 years of the 19th century, about the time we became industrialized and started spewing toxic fumes into the air. There is no controversy about that.

The last decade is a blip in the general scheme, and who cares how hot or how cold it was last month?! The fact is, we are a species that is short-sighted, wasteful, self-centered, motivated by greed, with an attitude of entitlement. My only hope is that because of the global warming scare, (whether it exists or not people can argue until they are blue in the face) the next generation will find ways to pollute less, use renewable energy, and become totally independent from foreign oil. Which frankly is the cause of much misery at the present.

We need to look at the big picture.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@ " Scientific Prufe "

Well Al Gore did invent the Internet as any fule do know and is obviously too busy saving the planet to be president. And all you concerned greens should be thankful that he accepted the Nobel Prize on your behalf so saving you the bother.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deep Time climate change

Yes folks, the Earth has been much warmer and much colder in the past. BUT the climate change concerns are not so much about absolute temperatures - after all we're a long way away from the subtropical Arctic of the Mesozoic - but the speed of change which *IS* abnormal. Typically, the geological record shows gradual swings between hot and cold, not the recent surge which appears be without a geological foundation.

And for those who point out the very warm periods of the past, at those times there was easy access to the polar regions for warm water currents bringing equatorial warmth to high latitudes. Since Antarctica slipped under the South Pole and the effective closure of the Arctic Ocean this is no longer the case. Our polar regions and the deep oceans are colder than at almost any time in geological history.

Finally, re: Gore's appointment of Dr. Hansen. If you were making appointments to scientific posts and not as ignorant as the current incumbent, wouldn't you appoint the most highly-regarded people in the field?

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: PeteB - Bizzare

Tamino refers to himself as "Hansen's Bulldog"

see http://tamino.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/hansens-bulldog/

Not exactly an independent viewpoint where Hansen's work is concerned

35. Herby

Sunspots.

These things come and go. Mostly in 11 year cycles.

Oh, I thought we were talking about "Climate Change"/"Global Warming"

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple solution

Make everyone rich happy and fat and people stop having children, so stopping global warming. The better off westerners get the more it tips into negative growth, immigration takes up all the slack until they are rich enough not to have children, apart from some bleating about pensioners and that problem trails away rapidly along with robot helpers replacing staff.

Make the poorest rich and provide longer lifespans and they will go into negative growth as well, which is good for everyone.

37. Dr Stephen Jones
    Stop

At last! The True Colour of "Green..."

@ Lego: "The fact is, we are a species that is short-sighted, wasteful, self-centered, motivated by greed, with an attitude of entitlement. "

As a species we're also incredibly inventive and creative. We never stop being inventive and creative. We devise economic systems that put our inventiveness and creativity all over the planet.

I hear what you're saying: you hate humans and you hate being one yourself. You'd be happy if most of the humans disappeared and the planet was left to itself.

I'm so glad you've found a cause where you can put this into practice.

"This article reminds me of those Fundamentalist religious types..."

It takes one to know one.

38. Unkle Al
    Flame

@Mark

Convenient to label someone a "nut", thereby justifying the decision to ignore what they say. Wait a minute...Mark, you're a nut. There, now I can ignore everything you say.

39. John Stirling
    Unhappy

that's what I love about climate modification.

No where else will you find such a range of educated to ignorant opinion (on both sides of the fence).

Perhaps excepting the subject of intelligent design vs evolution.

My view; climate change is likely to exist, and if it is assumed that it exists then it is likely to have been influenced by humans.

In much the same way that the anthropomorphic argument of 'why is the universe the way it is? - because if it wasn't we wouldn't be here to ask that question' is not necessarily correct, but has strong explanatory power; the argument of 'what makes us think that our massive industrial development is influencing the world climate? - because we have massive industrial development that might be influencing the world climate and there are no obvious other causes' is a useful first approximation, and reasonable assumption until we have better causes.

As previously noted the real problem is that everyone would like absolutes, and mainly they would like absolutes that fit the prejudices they held prior to 'investigating' the subject in the sunday papers. If that means picking on specific words, ignoring the intent, and making wild accusations regarding the issue on the basis of a deliberate (or possibly just honest but dumb) misinterpretation then all the better.

Oh, and to answer some of the interesting 'the greenies want us to go and live in a field - that's silly' arguments, well, those that do are indeed silly, but sensible regulation of emissions can be achieved with minimal economic upset. Evidence? Because whenever environmental legislation has been introduced the industry so regulated has survived, and the costs of implementation have been dramatically lower than expected, or claimed. This has occurred in a number of heavy industries in a number of jurisdictions - I am not going to give examples - go and search them out, that way you might be convinced.

It's game theory - there is no downside to taking sensible practical action whether climate change is real or false, natural or man made.

There is no downside to taking no action if climate change is false, or natural.

On the other hand if it is real and man made and we do nothing....

Icon; because the most likely outcome in my opinion is 'real' 'man made' 'do nothing (or not enough anyway)'

40. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

@Dr Stephen Jones

"As a species we're also incredibly inventive and creative. We never stop being inventive and creative. We devise economic systems that put our inventiveness and creativity all over the planet."

Huh?... Did you just imply the human species is great because we invented ECONOMIC SYSTEMS??

Shit. I've seen people admiring human arts, literature, music, possibly science and technology, but it's the first time I see somebody justifying the existence of the human species by the economic systems it devised. It is especially rich, considering how great the global economy is doing now...

Paris, because I have more respect for her than for the economic models.

41. ian
    Stop

HA!

There are liars, damned liars, and statisticians. Tell me again who wrote this article?

42. Schultz

Science versus Sex

@RATFOX

"As a scientist, I protest against the idea that "consensus" can determine what is science." -- But Gallileo still looked stupid when he went against said consensus!

And AC said it best: "Sometimes you need to remember that modelling is like masturbation. You need to keep reminding yourself that it is not the real thing." -- But if it's the best game in town, there's no reason to delay.

43. Charles Hammond

Where Made the Ice Age Go Away?

Well as a statement of fact the earth has been going through climate change since I first started noticing it in the 1960's. Change is the only constant in the universe. Off and on I have lived near the Mississippi River. There is also a pattern of about 10 years in the seasons of the floods.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1690658&lastnode_id=0

This is an article written by a Glacialogist. In the USA Doctor Micheal Savage raised question of what happened to make the Ice Age Go Away? Man did not have any technology 11,000 years ago, so what warmed up the earth?

According to this article:

"The period between 1400A.D. to about 1860A.D. has been termed the "Little Ice Age" when average global temps were between 0.5C and 1.0C lower than they are now. That followed a much warmer period between 1000A.D and 1350A.D. when the Vikings colonized Greenland. Remember--they named it Greenland because it was green."

44. IR

Don't blame the scientists

The only people making money out of this issue are journalists.

It's funny how people claim that scientists are rigging the results in order to keep on the gravy train, then list out a load of science-scares (that the media were also responsible for) which didn't go anywhere. How come they have suddenly discovered how to create the gravy train now, but didn't for anything else?

It seems that writing articles about climate change is very profitable, considering the amount of traffic they get on just an IT site.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For the unbelievers

This should help you find some answers:

http://illconsidered.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-to-talk-to-global-warming-sceptic.html

The following explains changes to the graphs:

A minor data processing error found in the GISS temperature analysis in early 2007 does not affect the present analysis. The data processing flaw was failure to apply NOAA adjustments to United States Historical Climatology Network stations in 2000-2006, as the records for those years were taken from a different data base (Global Historical Climatology Network). This flaw affected only 1.6% of the Earth's surface (contiguous 48 states) and only the several years in the 21st century.

source: http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20080116/

September 10, 2007: The year 2000 version of USHCN data was replaced by the current version (with data through 2005). In this newer version, NOAA removed or corrected a number of station records before year 2000. Since these changes included most of the records that failed our quality control checks, we no longer remove any USHCN records. The effect of station removal on analyzed global temperature is very small, as shown by graphs and maps available here.

source: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/

Tables showing the changes for decreasing temperatures before 1970 and increasing them afterwards:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/

46. MarkMac
    Dead Vulture

Statistics - not

I can only assume the author is neither a statistician nor a scientist.

So your thesis is that because much data before about 1970 seems to have been adjusted down, and much data after that moved up, it must be a conspiracy.

Here's a thought: maybe the methodology for calculating the mean temp changed in the 1970s. Maybe a previous error in the model was noticed and fixed, but not backdated at the time. Maybe someone recently reran the old raw data through the new model. Maybe someone refined the model and ran _all_ the data through to remove another error. Maybe technological changes (computers anyone? hmm, 1970... sounds significant) meant the 1970 onwards data was better processed. Maybe a billion billion other normal things happened which caused the analysis to need updating.

Or...its an enormous conspiracy by NASA to make us all - what? Invest in space homes? Buy more space shuttles?

Or maybe we should read up on William of Ockham.

47. Steven Goddard
    Linux

Adjustment vs. fitting

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

There is a big difference between adjusting data and fitting data. All of the data presented in this article is directly from the NASA, Hadley, UAH, RSS, and ORNL web sites. The video is a demonstration of a fit - where one version of NASA data is "fitted" to another, in an effort to reverse engineer the "adjustment" which was done at NASA. I did not change any of the data points - just applied a simple rotation to the entire graph as a visual tool.

As far as the coin toss statistics go, I was attempting to avoid a more technical discussion by using an oversimplification. The actual standard deviation of the Gaussian generated by 70 coin tosses is sqrt(70 * 0.5 * 0.5) = 4.18 . The mean is 70 / 2 = 35, and the odds of the coin toss results being as lopsided as 55/15 are approximated as follows -

35 - 15 = 20, which is nearly 5 sigma (standard deviations) away from the mean. The probability of a five sigma event is extremely low. Again, I recommend that some posters take a basic course in statistics before betting on an outlier like that in Vegas - or at least they should watch the movie "21" which was pretty good entertainment, and much less boring than a statistics lecture.

I am not qualified to make judgments about the climate one way or another, but I do think that the community would be better served if the handling of data was done in a universally more transparent fashion, and if the key players spent more time working on the science and less on politics.

Having worked in the past on government contracts, I can personally testify that the idea of a funding "cash cow" can be tempting to a normally struggling government scientist. Government scientists rarely if ever get rich, but they do like to keep their jobs and reputations in tact as long as possible. The mentality is in some ways similar to a trade union - i.e. don't rock the boat (or else.)

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Benoit Prezeau Re: MarkMac

Benoit, these changes are not whats known as the Y2k bug. These are completely separate from the Y2k changes. Fixing that particular bug had the effect of raising some temperatures in the past and lowering some in the present which is the complete opposite of what the article is about.

MarkMac. There was no change in the methodology in the 70s or any discovery of a previously unknown error in the model or any of your other maybes. The latest revision of history occurred at the beginning of April when 1946 and 1903 had their temperatures revised downwards. I can practically guarantee you that if you archive their data today and then compare with their data in 3 months time you will find the data doesn't match.

49. Wade Burchette

Re: For the unbelievers

Benoit, you are using Dr. Hansen's data. I've already proven Dr. Hansen has the will and the power to put bias into NASA data. So you should immediately discount anything weather related from NASA. And the IPCC too. In fact, you should discount any study at all weather related.

I am a climate change denier because I look at raw data that is free of any bias. Facts are Al Gore's worst nightmare. Ignore the studies, look at the facts. And most importantly, use data to define beliefs, don't use beliefs to define data as so many people do. Once you do, you be a climate change denier too.

50. Steven Goddard
    Gates Halo

Remarkable information

Benoit Prezeau - I had a look at the NASA links you provided and was fascinated by this table. I think you have led us to something extremley interesting.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/US_USHCN.2005vs1999.txt

Have a look at the year 1998. In the USHCN table it shows the 1999 version at +1.23 and the 2005 version at +1.24.

Yet Dr Hansen's graph from 1999 (referenced in my article as NASA's original data: 1999) shows 1998 at about +0.9. This is difference of 0.24 from the table. They are supposed to represent the same data! Similar discrepancies for almost all the years in the table. 1986 is shown in the table at +0.73, but the graph shows 1986 at about +0.3.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/hansen_07/fig1x.gif

Apparently there was a huge data adjustment made sometime after 1999 which is not clearly documented. Thanks again.

------

The Bulldog claim that NASA has better polar coverage than UAH doesn't appear to be correct. UAH has excellent coverage in the Arctic and Antarctic - as can be seen here :

http://climate.uah.edu/

Compare vs. the very poor coverage of NASA - as seen on their 250 mile plots

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_nmap.py?year_last=2008&month_last=3&sat=4&sst=0&type=anoms&mean_gen=03&year1=2008&year2=2008&base1=1951&base2=1980&radius=250&pol=reg

If that link doesn't last, go to http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/maps/ set the smoothing radius to 250, and hit the "Make Map" button. The 250 mile radius shows the actual locations of their stations. Zero stations in the Canadian Arctic. Zero stations in Southern Africa. Maybe 5% coverage of Antarctica.

Time for Tamino to put that argument to bed.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.