back to article Is Europe's war on Islamist terror running out of terrorists?

The terror threat to Europe - Islamist or otherwise - may not be all it's cracked up to be, statistics published by Europol this week indicate. Europol, a criminal intelligence support service for European law enforcement agencies, maintains that the Islamist terror threat remains high despite a 22 per cent drop in arrest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Cause and effect

Robert Pape and others have argued that in nearly all cases, terrorism is caused by a (usually valid) grievance. Algerian terrorism against France was caused by French occupation and we know that the London and Madrid bombers were influenced by the invasion and occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq. Such foreign policy blunders are used to recruit people willing to blow themselves and any unfortunate bystanders to pieces.

If the West (read mostly the US and UK) continue to support oppressive regimes and dictators in the Middle East, then they can expect some blowback.

Now please can we bring liquids back on aircraft?

2. Mike Crawshaw
    Go

@ Brian "Helping People On The Road"

I know exactly what you mean. At a shopping centre, I saw a woman struggling to get through some doors with a large number of bags. I stopped, and opened the door for her.

She slapped me across the face and yelled that I was a "sexist bastard" and that I shouldn't "patronize" her. I was too shocked to even move or reply for a number of minutes whilst she stormed off - I had a true "WTF?????" moment going on.

So now, if you're a woman struggling to get through doors in MeadowHell, Sheffield, and you see a long-haired guy in a leather biker jacket watching and smiling - don't wait for me to come over and help!!!!*

*unless Gordon decides that not helping women with bags through doors is Incitement to Assist the Planning of Incitement to Plan to Think About Making Available Materials to Assist in the Planning of Incitement to Plan Incitement to Commit Planning a Terrorist Act. Which is very possible.

3. Steve

@Spleen

"If you were a longbowman and the French captured you, they would kill you. Horribly. There was no percentage in merely mutilating you and then releasing you into the wild."

I'm not so sure. Kill a hundred archers and you have a pile of stinking corpses to get rid of. Keep them prisoner and you have to feed them. Mutilating them so they're ineffective troops and then releasing them dumps the problem on your enemy, who has to feed useless mouths and deal with the resulting morale issues in the surviving ranks as well.

I've absolutely no idea if the story is true, but in terms of psychological warfare it makes some sense.

4. brimful
    Heart

@Steve

"dumps the problem on your enemy, who has to feed useless mouths and deal with the resulting morale issues in the surviving ranks as well."

And no doubt the french claimed that they were being kind to said archers by not killing them and so winning huge public support. Politics - you gotta love the game.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

re: scientists develop rock that wards off tigers

Kodos: It seems the earthlings won.

Kang: Did they? That board with a nail in it may have defeated us. But the humans won't stop there. They'll make bigger boards and bigger nails, and soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

[both aliens laugh evilly, for quite some time]

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.