back to article Windows 10 can carry on slurping even when you're sure you yelled STOP!

A feature introduced in the April 2018 Update of Windows 10 may have set off a privacy landmine within the bowels of Redmond as users have discovered that their data was still flowing into the intestines of the Windows giant, even with the thing apparently turned off. In what is likely to be more cock-up than conspiracy, it …

Page:

1. Dwarf

And Microsoft wonder why people are not upgrading to Windows 10.

I’ll give you a one word hint - there is no trust.

1. Tigra 07
      Linux

RE: Dwarf

Exactly. Still on Kubuntu...Haven't "upgraded" to Windows 10 yet...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: Dwarf

Exactly. Still on Kubuntu...Haven't "upgraded" to Windows 10 yet...

Don't you mean downgraded ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't you mean downgraded ?

Nurse, bring the bandages! Another person with split sides over here!

2. Tigra 07
          Facepalm

Re: AC

"Exactly. Still on Kubuntu...Haven't "upgraded" to Windows 10 yet...

Don't you mean downgraded ?"

*Loud whooshing noise over your head*

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Exactly. Still on Kubuntu...Haven't "upgraded" to Windows 10 yet...

Don't you mean downgraded ?"

*Loud whooshing noise over your head*

It was intended for US readers of the Reg, you know how they explain everything at the end of every show or movie as if viewers are retarded in some way.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

It was intended for US readers of the Reg, you know how they explain everything at the end of every show or movie as if viewers are retarded in some way.

They are.

2. codejunky Silver badge
        Linux

@Tigra 07

"Exactly. Still on Kubuntu...Haven't "upgraded" to Windows 10 yet..."

I run a few mint machines at home but also for my friends and family. Once they saw the difference between win10 (or even 8 started it) and a good linux distro they were sold. It has also cut down the 'technical help' I have to provide considerably.

1. Tigra 07
          Joke

Re: Codejunky

"I run a few mint machines at home but also for my friends and family. Once they saw the difference between win10 (or even 8 started it) and a good linux distro they were sold. It has also cut down the 'technical help' I have to provide considerably."

Set them up an Arch Linux machine and you won't hear a peep from them...They'll never manage to get online to complain.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Tigra 07

Set them up an Arch Linux machine and you won't hear a peep from them...They'll never manage to get online to complain.

What? When netctl can connect to your wifi automatically for you at boot time?

Do the frog chorus 'useless' where you live?

Also Arch linux is nont the sort of distro you should set non-tech relatives up with in the first place.

1. AdamWill
              Facepalm

Re: Tigra 07

"What? When netctl can connect to your wifi automatically for you at boot time?

Do the frog chorus 'useless' where you live?

Also Arch linux is nont the sort of distro you should set non-tech relatives up with in the first place."

*whoosh*

the OP even used the "joke alert" icon, for Pete's sake.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It has also cut down the 'technical help' I have to provide considerably."

Flat refusal to provide W10 support also helps: either they "upgrade" and you don't support them any more or they convert to Linux. Win win.

1. JohnFen

Yes, this is what I did years ago. If friends and family want technical support from me, I'll happily give it as long as they aren't running Windows.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Linux

Easy Instructions

1. Under Settings->Privacy->Activity history: ensure the setting "Let Windows sync my activities from this PC to the cloud" is not checked

2. Under Settings->Privacy->Diagnostics & feedback: ensure Diagnostic data is set to Basic

3. Open CMD window (as Admin) and type: Format C: /fs:FAT32

4. Download any decent Linux distro.

1. bpfh

Re: Easy Instructions

I followed your instructions but I don’t have a browser on my c drive to download anything after point 3, but I do have a ton of free space now!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I followed your instructions but I don’t have a browser on my c drive to download anything after point 3, but I do have a ton of free space now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No browser, but you can see the free space.... curious.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

@NoneSuch -- Re: Easy Instructions

Downvoted only because I recently (successfully) upgraded my Win10 box to Linux mint. No reformatting of any existing NTFS disk or partition was required, and I can still see them in all their "glory" (or is that "gory"? In any case, they're still there....)

One could consider Step 3 fear-mongering.

3. luminous
          Facepalm

Surely 4 becomes before 3? Otherwise you are left with an empty PC. At least get your joke right.

4. terrythetech

may be better to do 4 before 3, and not waste time on 1 and 2

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"3. Open CMD window (as Admin) and type: Format C: /fs:FAT32

4. Download any decent Linux distro."

But not in that order. And burn Linux distro to a CD/DVD or USB stick before formatting.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

burn Linux distro to a CD/DVD or USB stick before formatting.

The installers I've used recently (mostly OpenSuse) offer the option of formatting - to something more usable than FAT32 - as part of the installation process, so no need to format first. In fact I suspect that no current mainstream Linux distributions would install to FAT32 by choice.

M.

2. Stephen Palbuddy

@ Doctor Syntax

Or just configure Windows 10 to how you like it .. it's Windows, it's meant to be configured. Out-of-the-box is just that, out-of-the-box. So set it up how you like.

Don't like Metro? One powershell command gets rid of the whole lot of it. Want it more private? Turn off the telemetry service (set it to Disabled), and make whatever adjustments you want in the Privacy settings found in Settings.

So much fuss over the obviously generic out-of-the-box settings when it's so easy to make it how you want it.

6. oldcoder

Using step 4 you don't need any of the others...

2. Bob Camp

And you think Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon are any better?

I find it humorous when people complain about Microsoft doing this while continuing to use their smartphone.

I find it more humorous when people post, "that's why I'm running Linux" while using Chrome to make that very post.

1. BGatez

excuses excuses

But whataboutism at it's finest. Try explaining to the officer about all those other guys speeding as well.

2. Tigra 07
        Trollface

Re: Camp Bob

"I find it more humorous when people post, "that's why I'm running Linux" while using Chrome to make that very post."

*Cough* Firefox *Cough*

1. Mage Silver badge

Chrome?

Firefox, Waterfox or even Chromium.

Loads of Linux users don't use Google's Chrome. Other browsers are usually the default.

3. Teiwaz

Google Apple, Facebook and Amazon????????? what about them?

@Bob Camp

There sren't just two browsers in the world, Edge and Chrome (shortly these two are to be only one so I can see how you get confused).

Only a subset of 'Linux users use Chrome (I'd class them the the lower quartile).

1. Wayland

Re: Google Apple, Facebook and Amazon????????? what about them?

Mint comes with Firefox but that's supports LGBT, Feminist and SJW protocols which I don't need so I installed Brave.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Wayland

Mint comes with Firefox but that's supports LGBT, Feminist and SJW protocols which I don't need so I installed Brave.

Too bad there isn't a white supremacist browser for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Google Apple, Facebook and Amazon????????? what about them?

"LGBT, Feminist and SJW protocols which I don't need so I installed Brave."

WTF?????

4. paulll

I'm not sure why you'd think it likely that Tigra07 is using Chrome, considering kubuntu comes with FF bundled-in and not Chrome. Anybody who has the modest amount of gumption required to install their own OS, yet actively chooses to download and install Chrome probably has a good reason for doing so. Although I imagine that doesn't happen very much at all.

Kubuntu and Opera for me ...

1. Tigra 07

RE: Paulll

"I'm not sure why you'd think it likely that Tigra07 is using Chrome, considering kubuntu comes with FF bundled-in and not Chrome"

Then there's the fact that in just 3 years i've gone from being one of Google's biggest fans, to fearful of the influence they have and how they're using it to destroy competition, influence elections, and generally protect their corrupt monopoly. I avoid Google wherever i can.

5. Updraft102

And you think Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon are any better?

I don't think Apple deserves to be in the same group as the rest of them... not that I would touch an Apple product with a ten foot pole, but their business model is charging insane amounts of money for substandard, poorly designed hardware that will break if you look at it funny, and then they will refuse to honor their warranty and blame the user for the failure, who will accept this and go buy a new one so it can all happen again.

This has proven to be very lucrative without pissing about trying to spy on the users. Why steal from them (the data, which is worth money, belongs to the users, so taking it without real informed consent and compensation is stealing) when they willingly hand over money as fast as they can earn it?

I find it humorous when people complain about Microsoft doing this while continuing to use their smartphone.

Why is it humorous? It doesn't make it okay to do something if you can point out someone else that is doing the same unscrupulous thing.

I'd bet the people complaining about the Windows 10 slurp also dislike it when Android does it. In that case, though, the slurp has been there from the start (the price of admission, so to speak), whereas in the Windows world, the slurp that can't be turned off fully in consumer versions and that keeps turning itself back on to full is a new thing.

As for me, I personally don't have a smartphone of any kind, and I never have, so when I tell you I switched to Linux to avoid Windows 10, you won't find any such humor.

I find it more humorous when people post, "that's why I'm running Linux" while using Chrome to make that very post.

Why would anyone do that? Except for a recent faux pas by Debian, de-Googled builds of Chromium are available in all of the popular Linux distro repos. I still don't use it, but if that ugly UI and the paucity of configuration options is your thing, why go for the harder to get, branded spying version?

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge
          Coat

Re the comment on smartphones, I dont know wether you noticed but it is getting more and more difficult not to have such a phone - function creep alone in the retail area almost requires you to have one. Some contractors and commercial entities look at you most oddly if you cant be contacted that way, and it can be difficult as a result.

Enjoy!

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

more and more difficult not to have such a phone

Also schools and suchlike. Up until recently the schools our children attend were happy to send out simple text messages for "urgent" communications (such as, the bus back from the school trip will be an hour late, or half an hour early). Now they insist on a proprietary app, which can only be installed on a smartphone (of course) and requires you leave data switched on (I don't, generally).

If you don't install the app, they send the same communications by - of all things - email. Email's no good for urgent communications if I don't get it until I'm sat at a computer because, erm, my phone doesn't do email! Oh, and because email is available, they use the excuse to send out non-urgent notices, rather than by a small printed paragraph on a weekly / half-termly paper letter, or a note in the home-school book which could be written-in by each child during registration, but often by scanning a poster or something and emailling the resulting image. Even more reason not to do email while mobile and waste my (deliberately low) data allowance.

M.

6. Thunderpants

No, I don't think those companies are any better but in most cases, you generally fire up the app/page concerned after you've logged into the OS. Microsoft appear to be slurping data the moment you login to Windows.

Amazon Alexa is a concern for different reasons, obviously.

7. JohnFen

"And you think Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon are any better?"

I don't think that. I also don't see how that's relevant.

1. Charles 9

"I don't think that. I also don't see how that's relevant."

Simple. If you're not doing it by yourself from scratch, including the hardware (where you're royally screwed because of hardware patents), then you're bending over. Who's doing it doesn't really matter because it certainly isn't you.

8. aqk
        Trollface

Hey! Good job! 68 Downvotes!

You must have REALLY upset the El-Reg weenies!

I'm hoping to get 100 downvotes for my insolent remarks here! I bet I can beat you!

9. oldcoder

Google, Facebook and Amazon don't manufacture... amazon does sell branded hardware - made by others.

Really, Only Microsoft slurps everything you do.

10. RegGuy1 Silver badge

FORCED to use Google

Your I find it more humorous when people post, "that's why I'm running Linux" while using Chrome may be fair. But I refuse to use Chrome. And when I use Firefox I always make sure it deletes ALL cookies on exit, and I exit at least once per day.

But the other day I had to buy a new shower from Trition showers, or whatever they are called. I couldn't buy it until I'd proved I was a human. In other words, I'd asked permission from Google to buy the damned thing.

Cunts. That's the word I would use.

11. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No smart phone. No chrome.

3. FastOlly

>> I’ll give you a one word hint - there is no trust.

That's four words.

1. Dwarf

Ahh, good point, so have an up vote !

2. cd

so... TINT

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And Microsoft wonder why people are not upgrading to Windows 10."

Erm - but they are - it's already on 700 million PCs and was the fastest roll out of any version of Windows ever.

1. Richard Plinston

>> people are not upgrading to Windows 10

> it's already on 700 million PCs

Since Windows 10 was released and forced onto every new PC made by OEMs there have been nearly 700 new PCs sold. There are no figures for how many of those are still running Windows 10 (granted most of them will be).

The original poster referred to 'upgrading'. There are still more Windows 7 PCs than W8 + W10 in spite of all new PCs for the last few years having later versions.

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?options=%7B%22filter%22%3A%7B%22%24and%22%3A%5B%7B%22deviceType%22%3A%7B%22%24in%22%3A%5B%22Desktop%2Flaptop%22%5D%7D%7D%5D%7D%2C%22dateLabel%22%3A%22Trend%22%2C%22attributes%22%3A%22share%22%2C%22group%22%3A%22platformVersion%22%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22share%22%3A-1%7D%2C%22id%22%3A%22platformsDesktopVersions%22%2C%22dateInterval%22%3A%22Monthly%22%2C%22dateStart%22%3A%222017-12%22%2C%22dateEnd%22%3A%222018-11%22%2C%22segments%22%3A%22-1000%22%7D

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Fastest rollout of any Windows version ever"

I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is its only because Microsoft forced it on users on 7 and 8, sometimes against their explicit instructions.

When you have to hack your OS with something like GWX control panel or Never10 to prevent waking up one day to find it updated against your wishes, that's not a "rollout" that's malware!

2. Timmy B

RE: "There are still more Windows 7 PCs than W8 + W10 in spite of all new PCs for the last few years having later versions."

Nope. Try again... The link you posted has for November 2018 the following:

10: 38.14%

7: 38.89%

8.1: 4.59%

42.73 > 38.89 the last time I checked.....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like