back to article BT to 'sunset' Apache CloudStack cloud, customer demand went AWOL

BT’s Cloud of Clouds (CoC) field of vision is about to narrow. Its open-source cloud software platform, based on Apache CloudStack, will be "quietly withdrawn", The Reg can confirm. The CoC strategy launched in 2015 contained a cloud services catalogue that included BT's own cloud infrastructure platform and has since expanded …

1. tin 2

"We continually review our strategy and operations. As part of that process, we focus our efforts on areas where we see the strongest customer demand and as the same time secure the best return on investments"

TBH that struck me as a pretty straightforward bit of corporate speak. Maybe I've been subjected to too much next-level corporate speak.

1. Commswonk

Quite so; let's strip out some of the excess verbiage...

As part of that process, we focus our efforts on areas where we see the strongest customer demand and as the same time secure the best return on investments"

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

Oh no, you can't strip that out! That whole part is there to contain the oh-so-important word "customer"! It's a box you have to tick to show you're customer-centric...

2. subpardave

All seems a bit of a CoC-up on BT's part

3. CAPS LOCK

At the risk of slight topic drift, can I ask, what are the best tools to manage cloud instance...

...I don't feel comfortable giving AWS etc all my money...

1. CloudyWowdy

Re: At the risk of slight topic drift, can I ...

Well, to get back on-topic, why don't you look at Apache CloudStack - used by 100's of orgs to do this

1. ToolkiT73

Re: At the risk of slight topic drift, can I ...

Have a look at https://accelerite.com/products/enterprise-hybrid-cloud-rovius/

This is the enterprise version of Cloudstack and it will also allows you to use AWS, giving you the option to control where you put your workloads.. (nearly typed gives back control ;) )

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who even knew that BT had its own cloud. No surprise they didn't make any money from it!

5. NeilPost

Garbage

Good news - as a corporate customer, BT Cloud is a steaming huge turd .... all offshore supported by IPSoft, who have no documentation on setup, start every call from scratch. It’s also desperately unreliable... to a BT Shrug of shared services platform - you get what you pay for.

6. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Brexit

Why isn't BT blaming Brexit for this? Everybody else does for just about anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brexit

They appear to have accelerated Brexit.....their Euro Union Cloud failure @

https://www.btplc.com/BTToday/NewsList/cloudcontracts/index.htm

https://www.btplc.com/news/index.htm#/pressreleases/bt-secures-major-cloud-services-contracts-with-the-eu-1290656

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems they were the last to get the memo on the fact that the Hyperscalers were cleaning up against the home-brew Opensource clouds. Never mind, they can now direct their marketing spin geniuses onto the next press release on how they don't really use Huawei....except they do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like