nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Giraffe hacks printers worldwide to promote God-awful YouTuber. Did we read that one right?

FlamingDeath
Bronze badge
Alert

Get me a babysitter

This is what happens when parents treat the iPad and Youtube as babysitters, you get people like PewDiePie. Kids have no idea this guy is a moron, albeit now a very wealthy one, but still they click on his stupid goofy curated Youtube thumbnails. It just goes to show that Idiocracy is happening, it is happening right now and it is happening right in front of our eyes

Iron Bones

Re: Get me a babysitter

Your narrow minded view point is probably closer to idiocracy than a YouTuber who, for the most part, reviews memes.

Though unfortuantely prone to making jokes that are not well recieved Felix is a pretty normal guy. Down to earth, fairly intelligent and successful. Its probably the last part that aggrovates so many people. Success attracts salty tears and false truths like flies to shit. This article for example has so much false information it becomes a joke in itself.

Its not your fault really, with articles like this even an intellectual such as yourself doesnt know what is fact and what is fiction. Perhpas your babysitter can get the facts for you. Idiocracy indeed

Sonny Jim

I love it when someone says 'FAKE' without specifying what parts were incorrect.

> This article for example has so much false information

Could you specify which parts of the article contains false information?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

m0rt
Silver badge

"Though unfortuantely prone to making jokes that are not well recieved Felix is a pretty normal guy. Down to earth, fairly intelligent and successful. "

^

Normal guy...

Iron Bones, you maybe should start, oh I don't know..., maybe widening out your social circle a little if he is your definition of what constitutes normal.

bombastic bob
Silver badge
Meh

he got wealthy being a MORON on Youtube, huh?

Well, when THAT dies off, he'll probably be dirt poor 'cause he spent it on stupid things. That'll be cosmic justice, the rags to riches back to rags tale. People like that wouldn't assume "it's a fad" and would burn money at an alarming rate until it's all gone and they're in over their heads.

"Diversify? Investment portfolio? What's THAT?"

meanwhile, the kind of content that Diamond and Silk typically does gets "flagged" and "shadow banned"... go fig.

Roq D. Kasba

Nathan Barley incarnate.

Mark 85
Silver badge

I suspect that he's not so much a moron but very shrewd and his screen persona is an act. But still, like other things in entertainment, what's real isn't what's portrayed. Look at some (most) of the rappers. Not dummies, not gangsters but very clever and smart business types who know their market and exploit it. I'm not defending him or them, just observing that the end result is cash in someone's pocket and that "someone" really doesn't care about the morality of what they spew. Much like a few televangelists....

Iron Bones

Jake, When you cant argue the points presented. Argue the punctuation used. That is the true sign of an intellectual, well done.

Iron Bones

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what constitutes "Normal" specifically in relationto why Felix is not. Please do show me how deep this intellectual forum goes.

Iron Bones

I agree with you. Calling fake and not providing proof is basically a mirror to the article.

I dont feel the need to quote the entire article and most likely my post will get "moderated" Circle Jerk communities like this don't take kindly to alternative points of view.

This is not the first article written with this tone here either so im assuming this is probably just a corner of the Internet that has a particular rhetoric. And im ok with that too. On reflection this is just an opinion piece. Sure a rant but just a narrow minded opinion.

I will however point out that linking Felix to antisemitism is a false narrative, easy enough to fact check Joe Rogan did a stream on it some time back if you would like to educate yourself. Furthermore the drive to "stop Tseries" is all one big joke. Perhaps not understandung that is the problem.

Poppy Harlow

Someone losing their entire livelihood and wealth is “cosmic justice”? Are you jealous or are you just a pretty shit human being? Perhaps both.

Pewdiepie isn’t responsible for starving people and injustice in the world, stop acting like he is. Yes he could donate all his money to help out less fortunate countries, but why don’t you start by doing the same?

He’s done tonnes and tonnes of charity work, but people seem to either forget or not give him the benefit of the doubt when it doesn’t align with their narrative. Funny that.

beast666

Die Iron Bone connecky to the Truth Bone!

c_matthews92

"You get people like PewDiePie" This is the difference between mainstream media fodder like you and people who seek the actual truth of things. If you're looking at anywhere but his channel PewDiePie will seem like a loud, arrogant, "goofy" douchebag, but if you took the time to actually look you'd see that Felix Kjellberg is an intelligent innovator that simply makes money doing what he loves; making skits, reviewing books, reviewing memes and giving his take on events on the platform (then occasionally playing some games).

SmallWhiteGirl

Old people who think they know things that they don't SMH.

This is the problem with people of the last few generations and people who think they are old souls. You are so stuck in the past and want to be mad at everything that you dog pile some guy.

Wow, he made a racist joke. Grow up, you all hate this guy because he's done better than you, and for the guy who said he'd have no money in the real world - 1 he made a good clothing brand and 2 He has worked multiple jobs and has worked with big companies on projects showing he has what it takes to work as a team (Not to mention his resume probably looks better than some old guy crying on a post about something he doesn't understand). He's done a lot for people, you forget that when people feel worthless they enjoy his videos to feel happy and he's helped charities. You just don't want someone to do something you deem as wrong. you people are what's wrong with the world. Making big deals out of nothing, at least the kids watching him will learn what a joke is. Most likely you'll all get mad about this too, because that's all you are, Mad old men and women crying at a computer while having a mediocre life. *but I'm happy and I have this great life* yeah, that's why you're crying online *But you're doing the same thing* Yea, but I work a lot and can do what I want, it's what it's like being successful. I welcome your tears and anger.

P.S

Some people play football, some people watch others play football

Some people act, some people watch others act

Some people play games, some people watch others play games.

Sorry that kids have more options and enjoy what they enjoy.

xoxo

c_matthews92

Well for one he isn't racist, the context of his "tasteless jokes" isn't given, they simply regurgitate details from the numerous hit-pieces the media have hit him with. They ignore any good aspects of him and the entire article is slanted negatively in order to bait for clicks which they clearly succeeded in doing.Then they missed out loads more context to the point where I'd have to write an entire article on this article in order to rebut all of its falsehoods. A simple look at his content would be enough to break this pathetic perspective the writer forces the reader to view Felix through but in this digital age of forced negativity and hit pieces for clicks it's the bare minimum they have to do and the mainstream audience is none the wiser and unwilling to investigate for themselves.

squigbobble

Hi nenask. Only 5 karma for your whiteknighting, were you hoping for more?

Sonny Jim

> I dont feel the need to quote the entire article

It seems you didn't feel to point out anything that was factually incorrect, apart from 'He's not antisemetic!' which isn't the point the article was making.

> Furthermore the drive to "stop Tseries" is all one big joke.

So if I say something like 'I hate purple monkey wheels', only to turn round and say 'It's just a joke!', does that mean the Purple Monkey Wheel community is not allowed to be outraged? May I remind you that for something to be considered a joke, it has to be funny in the first place?

EDIT: Also of note, click on the usernames of people defending Pewdy in the comments and be absolutely shocked that they've never actually commented on anything on this site before, apart from this article. Brigade much?

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/91290/

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/91302/

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/91289/

EDIT2: Ah it becomes clear, this article was linked on the Pewdy subreddit so in comes his army of morons to defend his actions.

JeffyPoooh
Silver badge
Pint

IB typed "recieved".

Which is incorrect.

PDPsupport

The reason children and teens and young adults support PewDiePie is because he is the last good thing on the internet. Yes alot if his videos are made to entertain but he makes a series called "PewNews" where he talks about whats happening in the world of social media. And he is serious and shows respect about what he talks about. When you mention things he did like his nazi joke, it wasnt with racist intent, much like your favorite comdedians who do the same. And after he apologised. He is not a bad person, and the reason we support him is because he is a symbol. He shows us how one man can make his way in the world doing what he loves. So when a company like T-series comes along, we support him, becuase the rise of a company on youtube shows how the platform is not fair on other independant creators.

OrlandoVL

r/whooosh

Dumb Millennials

I can clearly tell you don't watch his content and you're probably too old to understand his content. First of all everything you said here is stupid like this article about the incident that happened. Secondly I wanna call you out on that dying out part. He won't die out anytime soon. He's been on the platform for years now and even if he dies out he'll still be making money from sponsorship.

Also he doesn't buy "stupid things" that how I can tell you haven't watched anything from him at all. He saves up his money he Isn't dumb. So I think you should watch his content if you wanna form an actual opinion on him instead of reading this poorly typed out article. Most of the stuff they talked about is outdated and not relevant except the hacking part.

veti
Silver badge

Gosh, an awful (and I use the word advisedly) lot of new accounts seem to have been created just to post in defence of this one guy.

Trying to think what this reminds me of...

SmallWhiteGirl

When all you can do is insult peoples intelligence.

You like something I find stupid, you're a moron brother. I didn't come from reddit and so what If that was my first post? congrats that you posted more than me, Must mean you know more. That's a really genius way of thinking.

"He talks rapid fire at the camera while playing computer games" - lmao what pewdiepie are we talking about? He barely plays games anymore.

"generally being obnoxious about everything in the world" - If his character is obnoxious then jesus, You must have been raised in an amish society and the exaggeration is beautiful.

"Uncomfortable anti-semitic videos" - When his whole fan base know it's a joke but some old guys from a journal known for talking nonsense on people say he's racist, you're right. He's definitely anti-semitic. It's like how Article 13 wasn't decided by the generation that uses the internet. Old people messing with young peoples lives.

"pretending to be horrified" - The reason he found it funny was because he didn't expect it to happen the way it did. Yes he paid for it and You could say his reaction was faked but he did address it afterwards, It was a joke that was terribly done and even I know that but you people act like he is actually hitler after doing it.

"the rest of the world wasn't very impressed" ok? who? I mean, I saw a lot of people upset but the majority didn't care. I think this article is just full of exaggeration to please the "whole world"

The whole T-series thing is bigger than just a man wanting to be number one, It's also about what that represents, Unlike you guys. US morons don't want everything we watch to be from companies that we can't relate to, We don't want to watch what tv already offers. The moment the biggest spot is taken over by a company, it shows a shift on the platform>

"In vulture's opinion, absolute garbage" - Lol, the song was apart of the ongoing meme and honestly wasn't that bad. A man still can't have fun when he's famous SMH

"idiots hack your printers to urge you to follow other idiots online" - Yes because someone who did this is an idiot, clearly, which is why it worked so well. Stupid people accidentally getting things right and the claim that Felix is at all an idiot just proves you guys are mad. Not once in this article did it say anything with proof other than another journalist being upset.

Look, A moron just went piece by piece and explained his views but will definitely get told he's stupid again because that's all they have.

YOU'RE STUPID FOR NOT BEING OF THE SAME MIND AS ME!

Iron Bones

"It seems you didn't feel to point out anything that was factually incorrect, apart from 'He's not antisemitic!' which isn't the point the article was making."

So why include it in the article if not to demonize someone? Do you know what a straw man argument is?

In any case you are right i cant point out factually incorrect information as nothing was really provided in terms of "fact" apart from the antisemitism which has already been disproved. All i would ask is does Kieren want some cheese with that whine?

"So if I say something like 'I hate purple monkey wheels', only to turn round and say 'It's just a joke!', does that mean the Purple Monkey Wheel community is not allowed to be outraged? May I remind you that for something to be considered a joke, it has to be funny in the first place?"

I understand the point you are trying to make but you are missing context. Everyone and anyone can and generally does take offense, isn't that part of some of the problems we face today? A deeper subject perhaps... But i think you misunderstand the concept of a joke. A joke does not have to be tailored to you, in fact many things you find really funny the person right next to you might not. Does that mean your perception of humor is invalid? No. Does that mean the person next to you is an idiot? No. Humor is simply personal preference. Can you accept that something is humorous without being entertained by it yourself? Sure. Do you have to be outraged by it? Sure if that makes you happy go ahead.

"EDIT: Also of note, click on the usernames of people defending Pewdy in the comments and be absolutely shocked that they've never actually commented on anything on this site before, apart from this article. Brigade much?

EDIT2: Ah it becomes clear, this article was linked on the Pewdy subreddit so in comes his army of morons to defend his actions."

No i did not find this article in any subreddit. I've seen articles with this same rhetoric, i just felt like replying for a change. Perhaps i could change a few minds. I was bored enough to create an account and post a comment. I did not realize creating an account was frowned upon here. Dont stress too much i will leave you special snowflakes to your grumblings.

This is not the first article posted here with this tone in relation to Felix. I certainly dont think he is a saint nor do i agree with everything he has done. The article just has a incredibly one sided narrative that i dont agree with. I dont think the people here are open minded enough to accept an alternate perspective. Thats ok, some "communities" just want to whine. Im fine with that.

JamesE535353

When the article mentions PewDiePie's anti-semitic controversy, it is written as "He thought it was hilarious, and pretended to be horrified even though it was him who planned it...so he could act shocked". In reality these videos were created to point out the absurd lengths people on these websites would go to for such little money. By actually watching the videos one could have found this out. Instead, this article seems to just be slander aimed at a successful independent creator. Overall it lowers the credibility of this site.

phuzz
Silver badge

"he got wealthy being a MORON on Youtube, huh? Well, when THAT dies off,"

...he'll probably go into whatever the next thing is, or at least he'll be replaced by someone you (and I) will probably find just as obnoxious, on some platform that we find equally as baffling.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

he is the last good thing on the internet

brilliant!

only... why do I think this was NOT spoken as the ultimate reg bait, but in all earnest? Oh dear, time to die...

Monty Cantsin

Iron Bones: "Perhaps not understandung that is the problem."

Understandung

Noun

1. The ability to understand something crap; Comprehenshit.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

<things were better in my days>

This post has been deleted by its author

Eddy Ito
Silver badge

@veti, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I came up with either someone is really butt hurt or it's an attempt at parody and I haven't quite figured which. At this point it's boring so I'll leave the figuring to pewdeepi or whomever.

ban_the_man

Well, that is a perfect example of an Ad Hominem if I've ever seen one.

Hoewever, yes, PewDiePie can be somewhat silly, but Iron Bones isn't as wrong as you'd like him to be.

Pewdiepie constantly gets these articles pitted against him, and he usually has pretty well thought out responses to them. Now, of course there are times when he's stepped way over line with his jokes and comments, but we must agree that the print-hack in this email isn't anything he could control.

There are also other times when he's published criticism against other youtubers, but usually these are as a respond to other streamers being unreasonable against him.

Like him or not; this article is pretty stupid, and his (if you want to see it at all) response is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6MUTa2b0I - first two minutes.

LucreLout
Silver badge

Circle Jerk communities like this don't take kindly to alternative points of view.

This is true, they don't. However, in defence of this specific "circle jerk" community, it's made up of generally successful people within the IT community, and given that all credible reports of the mean IQ of software industry types, its safe to assume the jerks in this circle are a shade smarter than average.

Given that you tube mostly plays to the cheap seats and ALL of its most popular videos and channels are aimed squarely at the back half of the bell curve, you might find it instructional to consider that these aforementioned jerks, are likely smarter than Felix.... just not as well known or rich. And certainly smarter, and richer than the great majority of his followers.

So, the real question is why someone would set up a brand new account here to rail against one specific article, fairly maligning one specific you tuber known for idiocy and decidedly low brow "entertainment"? I've avoided the word juvenille thus far, but I'm struggling to be honest.

I do give you credit, for attracting the most downvotes in the history of this particular "circle jerk", that I can recall seeing. Believe me, it's quite an achievment.

LucreLout
Silver badge

This is the difference between mainstream media fodder like you and people who seek the actual truth of things. If you're looking at anywhere but his channel PewDiePie will seem like a loud, arrogant, "goofy" douchebag, but if you took the time to actually look you'd see that Felix Kjellberg is an intelligent innovator that simply makes money doing what he loves; making skits, reviewing books, reviewing memes and giving his take on events on the platform (then occasionally playing some games).

He may very possibly be intelligent, but only if your definition of intelligent is "Intelligent relative to a very very stupid person". Sorry kiddo, but no matter how many accounts you set up here to troll us, PweDiePie just is not what we'd consider smart, clever, or intelligent.

We seem to have an infestation of the under 12s, or whatever demented and hapless demographic this particular tuber spends his days targetting. Any chance the admins could pause the new account creation until the tantrum blows over? I've no idea what a t-series is, but it's probably time to subscribe to their channel.

LucreLout
Silver badge

The reason children and teens and young adults support PewDiePie is because he is the last good thing on the internet.

LOL!!!

Really? The last good thing? The final one?

Have you perhaps considered that maybe you could use the internet to, I dunno, learn stuff? Head over to coursera and pick up some knowledge from people that actually have some. Maybe you could pop over to github/other and get involved in a hackathon, creating something of value to a worthy charity or two? Or maybe you could hit once of the finance sites and learn about how money actually works, when you have to work for it?

The internet has many good things on it. PDP ain't one of them.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

@c_matthews92 - Re: Get me a babysitter

he seems because he is. You also forgot to mention he is a fraud.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

@SmallWhiteGirl - Re: Get me a babysitter

Sorry, lassie, he didn't do anything for me. I don't even know him so why would he bother for me.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

@PDPsupport - Re: Get me a babysitter

We agree on this, there are so much many more good thing on the Internet before PDP which comes last.

veti
Silver badge

@Small White Girl: I invite you to read this article. It's a very old article, some of the terminology is going to look very old-fashioned, but the principles are still valid. I think it might still help you understand what both YouTube and El Reg do.

jake
Silver badge

This article is a trifle older, but still relevant.

JohnFen
Silver badge

"Its probably the last part that aggrovates so many people."

Probably not. Despite what wealthy people often believe, people don't tend to be aggravated by how wealthy others are. Fame, however, is an amplifier -- so a badly behaved person who is in the public eye will attract more condemnation than the same behavior done by a "nobody".

Iron Bones

"Understandung

Noun

1. The ability to understand something crap; Comprehenshit."

Haha understandung, loved the definition.

I do apologize for making spelling errors, i understand the gag reflect to react to them but i would ask you to ignore them, instead focus on what i am saying. Its fine if you wish to ignore the points i make, perhaps you cannot understand them or its too difficult to say "Hey you are right" i completely get that. Accepting an alternate point of view can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Talking about bitter pills, heres one for you all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8L-LjWHpjw

Watch it (5minutes out of your life) afterwards, im serving some humble pie if this forum chooses to take a plate? You might not enjoy eating humble pie, but this looks like a good time to start.

Iron Bones

It was Inflammative, calling this a "Circle Jerk" community. I apologize for that.

"This is true, they don't. However, in defence of this specific "circle jerk" community, it's made up of generally successful people within the IT community, and given that all credible reports of the mean IQ of software industry types, its safe to assume the jerks in this circle are a shade smarter than average."

Being successful or higher than average IQ shouldn't mean your opinion is absolute, only the Sith deal in absolutes right? My point being, this article in particular cannot be a reflection of the unending depths of this forums IQ. As the article is simply wrong but you support it as if you wrote it yourself. I understand the person who wrote it can have whatever opinion they want. I do find it a little funny however, the bandwagon that the "above average intelligence" members here have jumped on. Love those upvotes am i right? :)

"Given that you tube mostly plays to the cheap seats and ALL of its most popular videos and channels are aimed squarely at the back half of the bell curve, you might find it instructional to consider that these aforementioned jerks, are likely smarter than Felix.... just not as well known or rich. And certainly smarter, and richer than the great majority of his followers."

I dont agree with that, there is content on YT goes far beyond entertainment, there is a lot of knowledge on many subjects. And im not referring to Felix in this case but overall there is plenty of information on it. I dont think its fair to mock the entire platform because of a misconception. Though on the other hand there is plenty of garbage there too. I do agree with you many people are smarter than Felix, members here have proven time and time again by, correcting my grammar, that they are indeed of a higher caliber and undoubtedly far superior IQ, its a crazy thought that there might just be people out there smarter than even members of this forum. In reference to Felix specifically i think you might be surprised to find he is a down to earth and intelligent person. You would expect him to pander to a bunch of kids right? Maybe burn a car down or create some ridiculous dance? How about when he reviewed Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche? Im not saying as a result of that he is the smartest person on Earth, im just saying this article understanding of his content (specifically in recent years) conveniently brushes over the good stuff to highlight the bad. But, but... my opinion only makes sense if i ignore the good stuff. Oh alright then.

"So, the real question is why someone would set up a brand new account here to rail against one specific article, fairly maligning one specific you tuber known for idiocy and decidedly low brow "entertainment"? I've avoided the word juvenille thus far, but I'm struggling to be honest."

I am not responding here for "internet points" or rewards elsewhere, one of these very intellectual members here became a PI to try track me down to some random Reddit user. Had a good chuckle there. The truth is: I simply felt the article was so badly wrong and i disagreed enough to create an account and voice an alternate opinion. Yes i can agree with a certain amount of criticism however i simply felt the criticism was actually just a whiny one sided rant. With the sole purpose of invoking a reaction, perhaps simply click bait? You say "fairly", i see "one sided" and ultimately a lack of knowledge on this specific youtuber and his motives. Perhaps vindicated by his most recent video i do suggest you watch it and make a better judgement for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8L-LjWHpjw

"I do give you credit, for attracting the most downvotes in the history of this particular "circle jerk", that I can recall seeing. Believe me, it's quite an achievment."

Never been one to care too much about downvotes, i find far too often, forums not unlike this one, ONLY care about the upvotes their post gets. People are so afraid of getting downvotes they will prefer to agree with a popular truth (hence the circle jerk mentality). Isn't that kind of sad? You can downvote this one too if it makes you feel better?

(Notice how i did not attempt to correct your grammar, not even once - wild!)

disgustedoftunbridgewells
Silver badge
Holmes

Can I suggest, fellow commentards, that we all create YouTube accounts and subscribe to the T-Whatever Bollywood thing.

No? Ok, fair enough.

HiImBlank

Ok. :(. What About Me?

oiseau
WTF?

Babysitters are for babies

A babysitter?

Whatever for?

These are 72.6 million absolute assholes, not babies.

And the likes of Facebook, YouTube, etc. created them and make fortunes from having done so.

I tell you, the world's gone to the dogs.

jake
Silver badge

Re: Babysitters are for babies

No, the world has gone to the humans. Dogs, if you observe them with a critical eye, pretty much have a RealLife that life most humans can only dream of.

With that said, anti-social media is a boil on the arse of humanity which needs to be lanced. Probably won't happen in my lifetime, alas ... the sheeple have spoken clicked&drooled.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing