back to article WIPO 'temporarily suspends' whistleblower CIO amid allegations of misconduct

The World Intellectual Property Organisation has temporarily suspended CIO and whistleblower Wei Lei as it probes allegations of misconduct made against him, an internal memo seen by The Reg has confirmed. Lei gave evidence in 2014 to a inquiry by the United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) into an …

1. Adrian 4

I realise IP registration is now so abused by universities and well-known large companies that it has become a bar to innovation and a joke. But you'd expect the officials to try to hold themselves above the stink, wouldn't you ?

These organisations and their functions need to go. They have no further use.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

The officials do hold themselves above the stink. Often found at the top of their ivory towers in very lavish offices which they are determined to keep. Problem is we've been breeding career politicians who's aim in life is to occupy those top slots.

El Reg has been great at reporting the goings on at WIPO, and it's odd that no member has taken more action. Especially as it'd leave a vacancy for some other bureaucrat to fill.

2. RobertLongshaft

The UN, FIFA, the EU. All of these organisations are the most corrupt, self serving worst of humanity groups of individuals that exist. Large unregulated, pseudo government organisations are always and without fail inherently evil.

They could all disappear tomorrow and the world would be a much better place. And there would be a lot of expensive Swiss real estate up for grabs.

3. jonathan keith

What is it with people in charge of Patent Offices?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

This whole story sounds like a bag of poisonous snakes in which I am very glad I don't have to put my hand.

I agree with the above posters, it does indeed seem that, from the top level down, our "institutions" need a serious cleanup.

5. Denarius
    Unhappy

Shooting the messenger

is normal practice isn't it ? Most whistle blowers get destroyed, often by the institutions that benefit most from their activity. I admire whistle blowers courage. The ruling clerisies are outrageous. Now what can be done about it aside from haranguing your MPs, at least trying to vote with your wallet and refusing to vote for candidates who are party or organisaional hacks when another election comes around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like