back to article 128-layer flash flood to come roaring down the Yangtze in 2020 – report

China's Yangtze Memory Technology (YMTC) aims to leapfrog 96-layer NAND and move straight to the production of 128-layer flash in 2020, according to a report. techies work in scrubs / clean room microscopes on components NAND we'll send foreign tech packing, says China of Xtacking: DRAM-speed... but light on layer-stacking …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Meh

nothing to worry about, then

From the article's title I was wondering if the manufacturer in China was ahead of the worldwide competition. Looks like that's not the case.

128 layers DOES sound pretty good, though. So, when do FLASH drives start selling for less than their spinny equivalents in the TB size range [or as my friend calls them, 'Tig' drives] for typical home computers and office workstations? Probably not soon enough, I guess. I want one with a SATA cable so I can just swap the thing in when the current hard drive does the 'titsup' thing.

1. LeahroyNake

Re: nothing to worry about, then

Titsup meaning 'Total Inability To Support Useable Partitions' ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Selling for less than their "spinny equivalents"

A few years ago people said if only we could buy a 250 GB SSD for the same as a hard drive - well now you can. They will reach the price you want for 1 TB when NAND costs are about 1/4 of where it is today. That is, when you can buy a TB SSD for about $50, which is the floor for a hard drive price using current technology. But when that happens you'll want 4 TB, and when we reach that you'll want 16.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Selling for less than their "spinny equivalents"

HDDs sell to PC manufacturers for <$25 today. $50 is the floor price at Bestbuy.

SSDs are only 7x more expensive than HDDs today per GB

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon