back to article Brexit: UK will be disconnected from EU databases after 2020

The UK will be locked out of European Union databases once the Brexit transition period ends – but the UK is hoping a data adequacy decision will be adopted by the end of 2020. The Withdrawal Agreement (PDF), published late last night and testing printers across the nation this morning, runs to almost 600 pages and has led to …

Page:

1. Aladdin Sane

TL;DR

We're fucked.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: TL;DR

Masterful summary. Not a surprising outcome, I would add

2. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Stop ruining Brexit for us, going round spreading your bad news and real world events like that! If it weren't for people like you, the EU would have caved months ago and given us absolutely everything we asked for and more besides! Johnny Foreigner would have fully funded the NHS for us! And paid off our national debt! Jacob Reese-Mogg wouldn't have been FORCED to buy a home in France were it not for you remoaners, spouting your truth. How dare you go round scaring everyone, warning them what's going to happen! This is what the people voted for, don't you know! Brexit means Brexit! Believe in the Bus! Backing out now would ruin democracy for ever! We fought world wars for the right to screw ourselves over!

In all seriousness, this was supposed to be a parody rant, however I think I may have underplayed it somewhat. It seems just like every other deranged Brexiteer rant I see online these days. I must go and ponder how to parody something which has turned into one big clusterfuck parody of itself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Political satire died

when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/tom_lehrer_649542

(2000, fwiw)

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

So, after we leave the EU we won't have access to EU data, unless we have an agreement for access to that data for security or similar reasons. Just like every other country that isn't in the EU. Why is this being reported as if it's a surprise?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"Why is this being reported as if it's a surprise?"

It's only a surprise if it's a surprise to you. We're just telling people what's going to happen.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: "Why is this being reported as if it's a surprise?"

"We're just telling people what's going to happen."

But Mrs May did that already. "brexit means brexit".

And before that, this (from 2003):

"We can never forget that we are the servants of the people - and they are increasingly critical of the way that politicians behave.

People want an end to the sniping, the point scoring, the ranting and raving that often passes for political debate in Britain today. They want a different kind of government. A government that admits when it's got it wrong. A government that owns up to the fact that it doesn't have all the answers. A government that knows that people's lives are too important for politics to be conducted like a playground game.

We should take back the lead. We should leave the yah-boo stuff to others and instead behave in a way that gives credibility to our promises.

Politics has changed. The world has changed.

In today's Britain, we all know that the old binding ties of family or class, the old habits of deference and unquestioning loyalty, the old tribal allegiances of party politics, all these have gone.

So today's political parties win not because they only hang on to their traditional supporters, but because they understand how the people of Britain live today, and because they offer them solutions that can work in Britain tomorrow.

We have to show we understand the problems parents face just to get their children to a decent school.

We have to show we recognise what it's like to watch an elderly parent suffering in pain, because a government target says they're not a priority for treatment.

We have to show we care: about people's pensions being reduced year by year, and about the student who wants to go to university, but can't afford to pay Labour's tuition fees. Because these are the things people care about.

They're tired of politicians who parade across the world stage making high-minded promises when all they want is someone to make their lives a bit easier. "

etc

https://conservative-speeches.sayit.mysociety.org/speech/600753

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

We did get fooled again

"We'll be fighting in the streets

With our children at our feet

And the morals that they worship will be gone

And the men who spurred us on

Sit in judgement of all wrong

They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution

Take a bow for the new revolution

Smile and grin at the change all around

Pick up my guitar and play

Just like yesterday

Then I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again"

1. fandom

Re: We did get fooled again

But you will be.

In fact the ones who make that kind of pompous speeches are likely to be in the second row hearing the shotguns singing.

"Useful idiots" is what you are called by the ones making the shotguns sing.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: anonymous coward

> > We're just telling people what's going to happen.

> But Mrs May did that already. "brexit means brexit".

Sure dude, and here's what 'brexit' means (clue: see article).

C.

1. Michael Habel

Brexit... The only other question besides the Ultimate One, of Live, the Universe, and EVERYTHING! To wit the only rational response to "Brexit means Brexit". Was to ask....

Well what the bloody hell does Brexit actually mean then? Unfortunately like Deep Thought, it Seems that Teresa May is also a stealth remainer, who's willing to entertain fools as well.

1. Teiwaz

it Seems that Teresa May is also a stealth remainer, who's willing to entertain fools as well.

We all know what Theresa May is, she's not a remainer and she's not really a brexiter either.

Possibly thought the best option after the tory party almost tore itself apart over the referendum.

Unfortunately, with her full steam ahead with her vision and her vision alone I get the impression what she's got her eye on is a Thatcher-like legacy with mistaken assumption that a 'ladies not for turning' type mentality will win through in the end.

Meanwhile the Brexit hardliners bray about how much a better deal they could get but it's clear their negotiating tactics will either dump us in a hard exit or they'll settle on something somewhat similar much as the DUP and Sinn Fein did in the Northern Ireland powersharing executive after they pulled down the two parties who negotiated the Good Friday agreement. A hard exit might be what they've wanted all along, to tow the UK well outside European waters for a bit of profitable Barratry.

2. Michael Habel

And, you only though to ask ~question~ NOW?!

1. P. Lee

>And, you only though to ask ~question~ NOW?!

^This.^

Any large multinational should be prepared. If they aren't, that is on them. What would happen if Greece crashes out of the EU, or Italy? What if AfD becomes the party of government in Germany and decides not to fund the southern EU countries? How long do you think the EU will last then? Do these large companies really not plan for a different party gaining power? If that's the case, they deserve whatever trouble they are in.

What sort of idiot looked at European history and the EU's "ever closer union" goal and thought, "yeah, that'll work!"

Did we cheap out on the police databases and don't have our own capabilities? Well, call me a nationalist, but I'd say relying on other nations for your internal police systems is probably something you shouldn't do. The EU has been consistently sold to the public as cooperation between member states when in fact, it was creating a centralised super-state infrastructure. Now we reap the costs of that deception. I could be wrong here, perhaps the slant of the article misled me and we do have all our own stuff. In which case, how much do I care that our police are not updated about Fabio's theft of his uncle's Fiat? Cut off from EU databases? How about re-framing that statement to, "EU cut off from UK databases"? I haven't been through May's deal, but I think the approach should have been, Hard exit is a given. Now, let's sit down and discuss what each side wants.

I realise that there are real-world costs. Did you centralise on Oracle and host it in the UK? Well, I'm sorry. That will cost you to replicate it, or move it. May I commend to you some postgres?

In the end, entering into any international agreement which makes the government unable or less able to respond to a change in the long-term wishes of its populace, should not be undertaken. It is inherently anti-democratic. Of course there are costs to democracy. It would be far cheaper not to have it. I suspect it would be far cheaper if we did away with all our own systems of government and just became an administrative area of Germany, but I don't think that would be desirable for either us or the Germans.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: "Why is this being reported as if it's a surprise?"

The four Great Lies.

The cheque is in the post.

I will still love you in the morning.

I won't come in your mouth

Brexit means Brexit.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It might be a surprise if you believed her in Parliament or at the press conference where she said this deal protected the UK's security.

She seems to have missed out "for the next two years" for some reason.

3. Michael Habel

Well that was only to be expected under May's so-called Leadership. She's obviously one of these political elites that suffers fools gladly. When she said "Brexit meant Brexit!", the very next question should have been. Well what does Brexit actually mean.

In this case it means a complete and, utter betrayal. I know how you lot like to call the French a bunch oh Cheese eating surrender monkey's. But, it's slowly looking like you lot might give 'em a run on the money for that Title.

And, I guess you lot also like a bit of Cheese yourselves, Cheddar, Wensleydale etc...

So the British are now a bunch of Cheese eating surrender monkey's QED.

1. BongoJoe

And, I guess you lot also like a bit of Cheese yourselves, Cheddar, Wensleydale etc...

So the British are now a bunch of Cheese eating surrender monkey's QED.

Chedder and Wensleydale. As opposed to that stuff that comes out of squirty cans?

Who can forget that delicious moment when James May was reading out the ingredients of something that he was trying to eat and came across "Imitation American Cheese"?

'Nuff said.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just build a wall down the middle of the Channel

and make sure that Farage and Bojo are on the other side of it. Then we can sink beneath the waves with dignity. /s

There will be a lot of hardened brexiteers who are going to feel the wrath of the public when the next election comes around in May 2019. By then it will be too late to say sorry, we didn't mean it.

£1.00 will be worth than 1 Euro by the end of the week.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Just build a wall down the middle of the Channel

Oy! None of that! You can’t just chuck your trash into the sea that way, it will be washed away by wind and wave. If it hits France, that’s good, but it might wash all the way across the Atlantic and we just can’t have that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] but it might wash all the way across the Atlantic and we just can’t have that."

No one notices an extra tree in a forest.

1. BongoJoe

No one notices an extra tree in a forest.

Oddly enough, last night I watched a Brother Cadfael episode last night, "One Corpse Too Many".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As I did what Redwood and Mogg suggested to their investors, the £ hitting parity with the Euro makes me a modestly happy bunny.

Brexiters - they screwed you. Basically by saying "Do what I say, not do as I do."

But it's all right because from 2020 on we won't have access to the EUs economic data, so the Torygraph can keep telling people the Euro is about to collapse* without them knowing any better.

*It's been about to collapse since the 1990s according to them.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

the Torygraph can keep telling people the Euro is about to collapse* without them knowing any better.

The collapse of the EU - usually within the next couple of months - seems to have been a regular mainstay of alt right bloggers as well.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

And it will, perhaps not imminently, but a single currency can't survive without full fiscal union, and that's certainly never going to happen now, no matter how much taxpayer money is spent on bailouts.

1. Stork Silver badge

I have to agree with you, the Euro will fall apart. It may just take longer than DT expects.

The history of currency unions is interesting, the only successful ones I have heard of is USD (and that took 90 years and a civil war to get working), the one between Belgium and Luxembourg and GBP.

Greece was thrown out of the Latin Currency union because they put too little noble metal in the coins, and the Scandinavian one fell apart with WWI

1. Danny 14

and no need for a border in ireland. just dont bother. Then when irelend gets invaded by migrants fleeing th UK the EU will be begging for a border.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Before Schengen i used to drive across Europe a lot. At the German border a huge customs post checking stamping stopping. On the Belgian side, a bored official waving yiou through.....

A border is s hard as its participants care to make it.

It is not so hard for pre-booked documents to be tide to number plates with NPR on teh major roads to automatically let all pre cleared traffic through, with a post up the road to examine those that have not so been cleared and simply let cars through regardless.

the only person one would refuse entry to would be Bob coke sniffer has-been Geldof.

1. BongoJoe

Before Schengen i used to drive across Europe a lot. At the German border a huge customs post checking stamping stopping. On the Belgian side, a bored official waving yiou through.....

I had the same experience and it was a case of getting the passports out, waving them at the guard as one went through at around 10mph.

The only drag was taking the train from Belgium through to Germany as the thing would stop at Trier and then the officials would pop onto the train, do the check and then the train would carry on. This often meant a pause in the journey of around 45 minutes. But often, as with continental rail travel (assuming one wasn't on a Russian train) it was a comfortable experience and this just went along with the glorious haze of relaxation so it wasn't a problem.

2. strum

>Before Schengen i used to drive across Europe a lot. At the German border a huge customs post checking stamping stopping. On the Belgian side, a bored official waving yiou through.....

But that was before Security Theatre kicked in. It'll be more than their jobs worth to wave anyone through - especially a truck that could contain immigrants, explosive or....oranges.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] and GBP."

IIRC Some Scottish banks print their own bank notes - but they are not regarded as legal tender in England. A right pain if you get given some on a trip to Scotland - and then have them refused in a shop in England.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"A right pain if you get given some on a trip to Scotland - and then have them refused in a shop in England."

How far south do you have to be before that starts to become an issue? I'n in NE England and regularly travel to Scotland and often come back with a few Scottish bank notes and have never had an issue spending them in local shops.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"How far south do you have to be before that starts to become an issue? "

I used to visit our Scottish office quite regularly. North Hertfordshire small shops have declined them. On one occasion a woman was trying to buy a toy in a charity shop for her kids just before Saturday closing. She only had Scottish notes after just arriving on a weekend visit to relatives. She was sent round the corner to the bank cash machine - which was out of cash. I exchanged an English note for it - and my bank accepted it ok.

2. Teiwaz

IIRC Some Scottish banks print their own bank notes - but they are not regarded as legal tender in England. A right pain if you get given some on a trip to Scotland - and then have them refused in a shop in England.

So do the N.I. banks. You get a few shops that'll recognise a Scottish note, try to hand over an Ulster Bank or Northern Bank note, you'll be lucky if the shop owner doesn't try to detain you while trying to dial the cops.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

try to hand over an Ulster Bank or Northern Bank note, you'll be lucky if the shop owner doesn't try to detain you while trying to dial the cops.

It's less of a problem now that RoI uses Euros. It was more confusing when they still had Irish pounds, I even had a bank in Bristol question what exchange rate they should offer on an Ulster bank 20 pound note!

2. Ken 16 Silver badge
                Boffin

Trivia

Scottish Notes aren't legal tender, even in Scotland. Neither are NI notes. They're promissory notes and the banks hold the same value of Bank of England notes to meet those promises. The BoE prints million and hundred million pound notes to let them do that. English banks did print notes but a change in the law stopped new banks from doing it and the old ones merged or went out of business.

3. Lars Silver badge
            Happy

"and the Scandinavian one fell apart with WWI".

I wonder where you got that from, it's rubbish. There was a time when Sweden/Finland, Denmark, and Norway plus other regions around the Baltic was ruled by one queen*, but that is a long time ago and the "monetary" systems then have nothing to do with today.

* a very interesting person, buried in the Vatican, if memory serves me (without the Wiki)

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

"and the Scandinavian one fell apart with WWI".

I wonder where you got that from, it's rubbish.

I suspect he's referring to the Scandinavian Monetary Union that lasted from 1873 to WW1

1. Lars Silver badge
                Happy

Sure, but like then and now there was a different currency in each country. NKR, DKR, SKR. I think there was a similar system between the Rand and the Dollar, and there is now "The Rand is legal tender in the Common Monetary Area between South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, and Namibia, although the last three countries do have their own currencies pegged at par with rand."

This has nothing to do with a single currency shared by 19 countries.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Eu and indeed the Western econoy has been kicking te debt can down the road for around 16 years now.

It is impossible to maintain without more and more people to spread today's debts over tomorrows population.

A falling population is unthinkable.So we need immigrants.

You dint actually think it was about social justice did you?

Blessss!

4. codejunky Silver badge

@ Voyna i Mor

"*It's been about to collapse since the 1990s according to them."

It did. To peoples amazement the EU sacrificed countries instead of dealing with the Euro problem, that is why they are still behind recovery and not considered to be in an enviable position.

It has taken a while but the EU did seem to catch up and realise that the Euro's critics and the creator of the Euro were right and that the currency is unstable. But then the EU has finally caught up to the realisation that the EU is fragile.

1. strum

>It did.

ROFL! Priceless delusional thinking.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@codejunky

Perhaps something for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Ve7kbLoAo

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

£1.00 will be worth than 1 Euro by the end of the week.

Poor Theresa, her 30 pieces of silver still won't buy her much, even so.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ah. A useful idiot no less!

5. Michael Habel

Replace Nigel, and Boris with May, Macron, and Merkel, with their respective underlings and, you got yourself a preposition. For bonus points let's throw in Trudeau as well.

3. Mr Dogshit

Wah wah waaaaah!

But it will be worth it to regain our sovereignty.

And the NHS will get an extra £350 million a week, remember.

1. Pseu Donyme

Re: Wah wah waaaaah!

>And the NHS will get an extra £350 million a week, remember.

With the £'s exchange rate and with that its purchasing power falling like it is currently does this could actually come to pass (if the NHS is to be funded at the current level in inflation adjusted terms, that is).

2. codejunky Silver badge

@ Mr Dogshit

"And the NHS will get an extra £350 million a week, remember."

Amusingly it sounds like May is actually considering doing it now. I guess that might buy the hospitals a new box of pens.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Amusingly it sounds like May is actually considering doing it now. I guess that might buy the hospitals a new box of pens.

However, given how the medical professions have become adapt at blowing budgets, you can guarantee the extra £350m per week, won't prevent NHS trusts running out of money around Christmas...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like