nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Bloke jailed for trying to blow up UK crypto-cash biz after it failed to reset his account password

Credas Silver badge

A note to USAian authors

a cryptocoin firm in London, England

To the world at large (ie not resident in the USA) London means London, England. Just like Paris means Paris, France. If you need to distinguish them from London, Ohio or Paris, Texas then please do so, but don't assume that the rest of the world is confused about which is the world city and which is the obscure USA town.

diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: A note to USAian authors

"don't assume that the rest of the world is confused about which is the world city and which is the obscure USA town."

If we don't say it's UK/England then we get a load of comments and emails complaining that there's a London, Ontario, or London, France.

So thanks to you, we can't win either way. I almost want to wish you, and other tedious pendants, a most unhappy weekend.

C.

jake Silver badge

Inferiority complex?

Ledswinger Silver badge

So thanks to you, we can't win either way. I almost want to wish you, and other tedious pendants, a most unhappy weekend.

I remember when "biting the hand that feeds it" referred to a lack of reverence for the IT industry, rather than for the eyeballs that pay the staff's salaries.

Nick Kew Silver badge

tedious pendants,

Yeah, hanging is just so passé.

James O'Shea Silver badge

"To the world at large (ie not resident in the USA) London means London, England."

Around here it usually means London, Ontario, The Great White North. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Ontario There's a London in England, too? Is there a a river named 'Thames' running though the one in England, too? Perhaps someone should do something about the copyright violation.

Jeffrey Nonken Silver badge

For the record, this benighted colonist (born in Philadelphia... that's in Pennsylvania, USA in case there's any doubt in anybody's mind WHICH Philadelphia I meant) automatically assumes that London means the one in England, Paris means the one in France, Berlin in Germany, and so on unless otherwise specified.

However, I cannot speak for any of my fellow colonists.

CinemaSins likes to make fun when movies specify the countries of famous cities.

james_smith

Didn't episodes of Dangermouse start with the words "London, England"?

Anonymous Coward
Headmaster

>tedious pendants ?

Shirley you mean tedious pedants ?

Natalie Gritpants Jr

Are you from the Pennsylvania just north of Bath on the A46? Driven through it many times but never wanted to stop as it has an air of decay about it.

disgustedoftunbridgewells Silver badge

USA? Is that the one in North America, Earth?

phuzz Silver badge
Facepalm

A friend of mine worked as a tour guide while a student in York.

An American tourist once asked him (with no obvious signs of taking the piss) if York was "named after New York?".

WolfFan Silver badge

@jake Re: A note to USAian authors

ITYM 'massive inferiority complex'.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"If we don't say it's UK/England then we get a load of comments and emails complaining that there's a London, Ontario, or London, France."

Been to London, Ontario - from London, England. Much preferred the Canadian flavour of London.

From now on, you could just refer to our (English) London as Bad London? Satisfies both groups then.

Law

"An American tourist once asked him (with no obvious signs of taking the piss) if York was "named after New York?"."

Had a similar experience at the Wallace monument in Stirling (Scotland!)... they were amazed by it, exclaiming "Wow - all this for a movie?!"

jake Silver badge

USA? Why yes, I am Up Stairs in the Attic. It's where I built my office ...

jake Silver badge

This Yank workedvolunteered[0] as a tour guide in York during his time in Yorkshire. You wouldn't believe how many British folks asked where "Old York" was ... usually while standing in The Shambles or in the castle or on the wall. Their logic was that they were in York, they knew of New York, so there must be an Old York, right?

Don't assume the ignorance of tourists only exists in those originating offshore.

[0] It was part & parcel of the archeological work I lucked into helping out with.

Re: Ledswinger

"I remember when 'biting the hand that feeds it' referred to a lack of reverence for the IT industry, rather than for the eyeballs that pay the staff's salaries."

I dunno, man. I think you're mistaken. I've been reading the Reg since 1999, and it's always been a bastion of tech eggheads who have no time for tedious pedantic bastards. And it still is.

C.

Anonymous Coward
Pint

@Jeffrey Nonken

"this benighted colonist"

Is that something akin to a proctologist?

(OK, I was amused after I first read it as a typo for columnist. I expect you really meant to say colonial, which earns you a virtual pint).

Re: "CinemaSins likes to make fun when movies specify the countries of famous cities."

I know, and it drives me bonkers. Anyway fine - we won't spell out countries quite so much.

C.

Kaltern Silver badge

Boom...

Besviken Bitter Bloke Bungles Bitcoin Biz Bombing By Bad Bomb Bearer Booking, Banished Behind Bars.

David 132 Silver badge

Re: Boom...

Bravo. Bloody brilliant.

jake Silver badge
Pint

Bloody brilliant! Brew?

David 132 Silver badge
Pint

Bloody brilliant! Brew?

Beautiful. Bartender! Best bitter!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

It's a bit extreme for a password reset you can do yourself online. It's also odd the time delay, sent August 2017, arrived November but not opened till March 2018. Surely someone as crazy as this would have attempted a second one. They did get the DNA through Interpol, something we won't be able to do after Brexit. Take from that what you will.

jake Silver badge
Pint

"A bit extreme".

Gets my vote for Understatement of the Month. Have a homebrew.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

They did get the DNA through Interpol, something we won't be able to do after Brexit.

Why not? Interpol aren't an EU body. And if the EU decide that they will flout international conventions and won't cooperate on cross border crime, they'll soon find that works both ways.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Really? Interpol predates (by a few decades) the EU or EEC any other letter salad the "common market" has re branded itself as.

Some people really need to get a clue about how the world worked before a bunch of eurocrats decided to hijack a trading bloc in the quest to create a quasi federal state - which wasnt what we voted to join back in the 70's.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Yes but DNA hasn't been in use that long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%BCm_Convention

It's a little more complicated than that. Europol supply Interpol access More here if you're interested.

link

I quote. "The UK could continue to have access to Prüm through the negotiation of an agreement between the EU and the UK on Prüm.", so no we don't fall onto Interpol according to the EU for DNA.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Almost entirely incorrect...

AC above, you seem to have mis-conflated a bunch of points about DNA.

1) DNA has been in use in the UK since 1995

2) The UK has been exchanging DNA data with Interpol for at least the last fifteen years

3) Interpol/UK relations won't be affected by Brexit (Europol is a different kettle though)

4) The Prum convention does deal with DNA, inter alia, but is not live yet. This may or may not be affected, depending how negotiations on the "cooperation on criminal justice matters" conclude.

veti Silver badge

So we're in favour of massive police DNA databases now, are we?

Sheesh. Every time I start thinking I might want to come back to England, I see something like this.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

It's also odd the time delay, sent August 2017, arrived November but not opened till March 2018.

That had me wondering as well. I almost wonder if, since the guy opening it didn't open the letter by the normal means (almost as if he knew something)....

But nah, can't be anything suspect there. Just a weird set of coincidences that it was sent to the wrong address, but months later the right people moved into the address, that it wasn't opened in that time, that it was left behind when the previous occupants moved out, that the previous occupants didn't forward it on to the right address...

Oh, my salmon is nearly ready. I can smell it frying up nicely!

Francis Boyle Silver badge

Yes,

my first thought was this sounds kinda fishy. Then I realised it's not like we dealing with some multinational conglomerate here. So, probably some sort of private arrangement to take over the lease — my brother knows a bloke who knows someone or "this bloke down the pub'.

Then something goes wrong:

"Our new place's not ready yet. We need another few months".

"But we've already given out the new address".

"Don't worry, we'll bung any letters into the cupboard in the storeroom. If it's urgent they'll use email".

So six months later someone bothers to check that cupboard in the storeroom. . .

jake Silver badge

Every time I see something like this, I ask "Who is 'we', Kemosabe?".

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes,

I'm the AC you're replying to..

It kinda works but... Unless the bomb itself was kinda small, it'd be in a package (even a courier one) more than a letter. Letter bombs are old, but from what I have seen of them they were still at least the size of a pack of cigarettes. Well, thinner, but larger length x width. And the article does say it was in a "padded envelope". (was also sent via international mail supposedly, missed that first time I read the article!)

BTW, this was an accounting firm who received the item. They get all sorts of stuff through the mail at times, probably packed in all sorts of ways as well. A padded envelope wouldn't exactly be weird though having the probably detectable shape might've been. Also, an accounting firm would know the importance of either returning or forwarding mis-addressed stuff.

Lots of people still send stuff through the post, although much much less than used to. Some of that stuff is urgent and some is valuable. I'd say "ignore it at your peril" but obviously in this case that wasn't so.

And still the question of why it took them so long to get caught up on their packages....

It may be all in innocence, but it does smell a bit like that meat I forgot to put away from the BBQ last week that spent 3 days in the back yard in the glass covered dish..

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Original poster here.

Thanks, I'm not the only one that finds this whole story more fishy than a Seafood Bisque.

They are the accountants for said firm so why didn't they forward the mail? If that's the only contact address then surely they must have forwarded mail before.

Maybe it's a stitch up because they couldn't get him on the other stuff. We may never know.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

International Espionage is a contact sport

As in, "My contact in the No Such Agency thought you might want to keep an eye on this lad and his mates" - if the EU do decide to cut us out of their intelligence sharing programmes, I'm not really sure who will be inconveniencing who - given that most of their successes come from intelligence we give them, it seems a little counterproductive for them to stop talking to us.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Thanks, I'm not the only one that finds this whole story more fishy than a Seafood Bisque.

Yup, they could've done things in innocence - many postal depots around the world have stuff that has been there for years, sometimes decades, without being sent on, although usually only found when a block of shelving is removed or old machinery stripped out...

But in a case like this, it really does stretch the limits of plausibility. It could happen, and I have no proof that it didn't, but the likelihood of all that stuff coming together just right?????????

I'm getting my full annual dose of Omega-3 just from one whiff of this!

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Note to self: always open packages in the middle

Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

It could still be the end for you

vtcodger Silver badge

Note to self: always have someone else open packages in the middle

Nifty

Who else thinks there's more to this story than meets the eye?

Rich 11 Silver badge
Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Correct response

So, if the going rate for not resetting a password is sending a bomb in the post, what should be the correct response for Windows deleting your files?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Correct response

I suspect getting hold of the required fissile material may prove almost as much of a challenge as the Microsoft approach to licensing.

The Oncoming Scorn
Mushroom

ZAPHOD:

…the building’s being bombed! Who in the galaxy would want to bomb a software company?

MARVIN:

It’s customers?

With apologies to Douglas.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

ZAPHOD:

No, it's the greengrocer's.

ibmalone Silver badge
Coat

No, it's the greengrocer's.

ITYM "No, its' the greengrocer's."

IGMC

Pen-y-gors Silver badge

Counter Terrorism Command?

I appreciate that language and the meaning thereof can change over time. But surely trying to kill someone in a business quarrel isn't terrorism? Terrorism is about attempting to create terror for political purposes, frequently involving violence. But violence != terror. Or have they just bundled bombs 'n white powder 'n stuff in with the Terror-plods for pay-and-rations convenience?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing