back to article Hackers seed StatCounter with nasty JavaScript in elaborate Bitcoin cyber-heist caper

One of the top traffic metrics websites on the internet is apparently being used by criminals to steal Bitcoins from a currency exchange. Researchers at ESET have found that the JavaScript used by StatCounter's analytics platform has been modified by miscreants so that when embedded into the pages of Gate.io, a cryptocurrency …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Mushroom

JavaScript far to powerful

JavaScript is far to powerful and is able to do far to many things. Couple that with most websites run far to many off site scripts severed by third party sites. If your running third party scripts you better be sure they are secure.

Even this page has 4 of sites scripts.

1. druck Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: JavaScript far to powerful

s/far to/far too/g

s/of sites/off site/

Even that comment had 4 mistakes - what hope for Javascript coders.

1. Dave_uk

Re: JavaScript far to powerful

@druck you are just "TWO" critical!

Maybe put yourself in safemode so you can handle the unstable environment you find yourself currently within.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge
    Joke

Or -

Maybe... this is how StatCounter is financed??

Just a thought :-) (in your face "Digital Tip Jar"!!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blocking statcounter

I've been blocking StatCounter for many years; it was one of the first domains that I started blocking back when concerns about tracking started to emerge. Anyone doing financial transactions on a computer should have effective blocking in place, but I realise that a lot users do not.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Javascript is a plague

The only reason it was created was to force pages to behave in ways HTML did not work. HTML was all that was needed, but corporate mandate forced Javascript into existence to make company web sites conform to what the company wanted - its precious "brand recognition".

It went downhill from there.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: Javascript is a plague

In my experience (dating back to 1994) take up of JavaScript was primarily driven by 'web designers' trying to compete with each other in producing show-off sites. The rise of the smart phone exacerbated the problem, as it became trendy to consider every web page as an 'app'. Now we find JavaScript doing utterly unnecessary things, frequently replacing the functionality of intentionally disabled HTML - for example, hyperlink targets coded as "#" and resolved only by JavaScript.

The fundamental problem here is that site user security is an externality to the web developer, who is often blindly using high level abstracted development tools that generate script-ridden pages, and who maybe never even examine the page source that has been created.

You only have to examine the source of web pages to see consistent patterns of coding that are unlikely to be the outcome of individual decisions. Most notable is the almost universal entire site map at the top of every page, presented as a massive JavaScript driven menu. Not only is this not navigable with scripting disabled, but it also thwarts users of screen readers, as they have to listen to the entire site map before getting to the interesting content of the page.

However it's clear that nobody really cares, even about accessibility. There are many comments from web developers on record to the effect that the proportion of users who disable JavaScript is so tiny that they don't count as potential customers, and an increasing number of sites are entirely inaccessible unless it's enabled. So tough on them - I take my business somewhere else.

1. Psycho Flump

Re: Javascript is a plague

Visitors using screen readers will only have a problem with large header menus if the web developer forgot to include the skip navigation links at key points in the page.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

StatCounter platform modified by hackers.

How did the miscreants get access to the StatCounter platform. This is a clear illustration of the security implications of linking to some third party site that you have no control over.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like