back to article Android fans get fat November security patch bundle – if the networks or mobe makers are kind enough to let 'em have it

Google today pushed out the November edition of its monthly Android security updates, giving carriers and device makers a fresh set of patches to install. Fingers cross the patches are rolled out to you ASAP. The November bulletin contains fixes for three remote code execution flaws as well as a number of information …

1. bazza Silver badge

BlackBerry are doing OK with patches

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep my android updates last night

We have also already discredited this claim of this year old device not getting updates in the past, with a link to the OTA when the model number was mentioned, it seems you now prefer to carry on spreading this bullshit without mentioning the make model.

I also note that you didn't report the new OEM Android agreement that OEMs has to sign to continue to ship Google Play services, that means they have to ship patches within 90 days of Google and 4 a year.

Also of note is the lack of mention of Android Enterprise, with over 100 devices all commited to 3 years of support, again patches within 90 days of Google and at least 1 full version upgrade.

Nor was it mentioned that a non Google OEM released their November 2018 patch a few hours after Google, or that Oreo and Pie devices are getting their patches very promptly these days after the large architectural changes that went on on Android 8.

Can anyone smell clickbait???

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Yep my android updates last night

My phone saw one OS update after 6 months and none for years since. Yes, it gets play-store patches, but bugger-all from the manufacturer.

Bit of a Google fanboi? =>

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Has Google also signed 90 day agreements with the hackers to lay off while the patches are done?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Has Google also signed 90 day agreements with the hackers to lay off while the patches are done?

Why should it? Part of the deal with OEMs is that they get advance notice of the patches and it's them who are liable. Integrating upstream patches and providing timely releases should be part of any OEM's lifecycle. But we probably won't see much action here until the courts force them.

3. Dan Melluish

The Enterprise Recommended programme seems like a good idea but I'm not sure there is any substance to it. See https://uk.community.huawei.com/software-17/lack-of-huawei-p20-uk-variant-updates-251/index1.html for some of the fun and games UK Huawei P20 owners have had. The P20 is an enterprise recommended phone.

Does that 90 days include operator testing and customisation? Specific regions? What happens if a manufacturer doesn't roll out patches within 90 days? I guess they just get removed from the 'Enterprise Recommended' list?

3. ratfox
    Happy

Apple, a phone and watch seller known to dabble in personal computers every couple years

Nice one

4. _LC_
    Facepalm

Nooooooooo! There are critical bugs in the media framework???

Who would have thought that Google was playing in the same league as Adobe? It should be baptized "Android flash media framework".

Hint: There's going to be critical bugs in the "Android flash media framework" next month, as I'm a prophet!

5. Some Twat

Happy to say my Xiaomi Mi A2 got its patch yesterday.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Kernel

"I must check my Nokia 5. Last time I looked, the security update applied to it OTA was May this year."

And I must check my Nokia 8 and two Nokia 6s - last time I looked the security update applied to them OTA was October and September this year, respectively.

7. DuncanLarge Silver badge

Google abandoned my Nexus

I have a fully working and frequently used Google Nexus 7 tablet (2013 model bought in 2015). The last update it got was back at the end of 2015. Since then nothing.

I will be upgrading it to LineageOS to get a secure device, however, I would have bought a new replacement had google not scrapped the whole concept of a tablet and offered a replacement.

8. Ken Mitchell

Essential PH1

The Essential PH1 phone has the November security update. :-)

I love my PH1 phone.

9. Donchik

Optional Strategy

I've decided to thwart the hackers by continuing to use my elderly Windows 950XL

No security, or any other kind, of updates to worry about, and a user base so small it's not worth the effort of a hacker to build an exploit for the platform.

As long as I can still get replacement batteries I think I'll be fine.

10. David Gosnell

GDPR update

My old S5 Mini got a mysterious and unspecified "GDPR update" earlier this year. I rather doubt that was anything other than a legal requirement (not that any other of our devices got anything) but it seemingly buggered up a few other things on the way, so can always hope there might be another surprise one to come if Samsung have a conscience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like