back to article Fujitsu: Closes director's gate to Tait, 9 execs abdicate, and for German workers – a crap Weihnachtszeit

There's trouble at Fujitsu: it is removing EMEIA* boss Duncan Tait from the board – the first non-Japanese exec ever invited on to it – and wants to shutter its German manufacturing plant. Oh, and it's laying off half the number of executive officers that work across the group. First up, Tait. Fujitsu lied to El Reg. Weeks ago …

1. knarf

Wurst news ever

too soon....

1. quxinot
      Coat

Re: Wurst news ever

Don't be a brat about it.

2. Erik4872

Getting out of the hardware business?

Is the German factory the one they inherited when Siemens sold off their PC/server business to them?

I wonder how many companies are going to be left actually manufacturing physical devices for all this software-defined, cloud-scale stuff to run on, I guess it's just going to be Supermicro and a couple of contract manufacturers building custom cloud boxes?

1. Fortycoats
      Unhappy

Re: Getting out of the hardware business?

I think so. It's in Augsburg, where I live. Pretty glum news. Hope the staff can find something more that just working as Jeff Bezos' slave down the road in Graben.

Though it probably means even more cars on the Autobahn and even more people on the already full trains to Munich (which I, like many others, use to commute to work)

3. Fazal Majid

Unfortunate

Whether the Bloomberg article about Chinese compromise of SuperMicro is accurate or not. It was good to have a made-in-Europe manufacturing source for servers not susceptible to American or Chinese interference.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Somehow I’m not surprised by this. Their first round of cuts looked like they were focused on soft targets for delivering visible savings, rather than making a long term difference. The issues being faced by the EMEIA organisation didn’t seem strongly linked to where the cuts were taking place. And some of the changes pushed through went seriously wrong, as I understand it.

5. Adrian 4
    Pirate

dead horse

Does every sort of organisation (companies and economies alike) dedicate itself to services before it totters into the void ?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Re: dead horse

Fujitsu is a lot like HP and IBM in this regard, I guess. I used to work for them (as an I.T. contractor) a long time ago. Not a bad company, really. I suspect 'old school' thinking in the wrong places, though (and maybe NOT in the RIGHT places).

And they _do_ need to be a bit more competitive on pricing.

6. Sven Coenye
    Coat

The first non-Japanese exec ever invited on to the board...

Dang. I hope he knew the Japanese don't look kindly on failure.

That's at least a pinky. This time...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The first non-Japanese exec ever invited on to the board...

I recommend reading Olympus by Michael Woodford (or search Youtube for interviews) to see how European execs fare at Japanese companies.

2. DuchessofDukeStreet

Re: The first non-Japanese exec ever invited on to the board...

I'm not operating on 100% today but the pdf link: http://pr.fujitsu.com/jp/news/2018/10/en/26.pdf shows EMEIA Region in exactly the same position in the structure, reporting to the President.

7. Hermia

Shaping tomorrow without you

8. Christian Berger

Of course there's a German expression for it:

"kündigungsbedingte Scheißweihnacht"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Olympus

I recommend reading or watching youTube : Olympus by Michael Woodford. A European exec at a Japanese firm.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fujitsu lied to El Reg...

it was probably not intentional - they are just clueless.. yes, old school thinking in the wrong places.. and those places are at the top. Not worried about Tait: he will go somewhere else, get a fat package, continue being blind to inefficiencies and move on again after a few years.

1. Hermia

Re: Fujitsu lied to El Reg...

He just believed what the managers below him told him, simple really.

Managers below him told him what he wanted to hear and what sounded good to support their own careers.

Obviously, the manages above him saw through all this as indicated by poor orders and loosing customer base.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not over

The changes aren’t over. Once Fujitsu gets the ridiculous annual Munich event out of the way, more change is expected. Tait and his lieutenants are on borrowed time.

The surprise with the Augsburg factory is that Fujitsu has allowed it to stay open for so long - Fujitsu doesn’t want to make product in the EU. Few do, nowadays.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like