back to article BT's new chief exec Philip Jansen to trouser £3.9m+ from telco

BT has hired former Worldpay boss Philip Jansen as its CEO, handing him an annual pay packet worth £3.9m for his first year of service – if he lasts longer, his compensation will swell further. employees leave with cardboard boxes There will be blood: BT to axe 13,000 employees READ MORE With a CV boasting stints at Procter …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heads...

Heads he wins, tails BT customers lose...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just what they need

Another shampoo salesman!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just what they need

Bits falling from his hair?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Executive pay has gone crazy

I mean, nice work if you can get it, but this whole argument about a "global talent pool" has been largely debunked. The pension allowance should be taken out of the picture but there's little reason for UK CEOs to receive more than £ 1 million in compensation and bonuses, stock options notwithstanding. But as long as board members get to sit on each other's boards we'll more circle jerks and less corporate governance.

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

It'll be interesting...

It'll be interesting to see what his strategy will be, and whether he'll have the balls to rip out the obscene level of stale upper and middle management that still thinks that its a 1970's monopoly; and redeploy whatever level of capital funds remain to the front line where it is needed.

And by front line, I do mean to include operational workers such as network engineers, installation staff, ditch diggers and call centre / Ops support staff etc, as well as backoffice employees such as architects, analysts and programmers etc. I.e. the people that actually do the work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It'll be interesting...

Don't hold your breath.

BT has been a marketing led company for some time. In the mid-90s I worked there and we had a new Director who told us that selling telecoms was no different from selling yoghurt. Hint: he came from the food industry.

I left soon after.

ps. I agree about the management bloat, but if you got rid of the huge pyramid of managers there would not be anyone for the very senior managers to be in charge of.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharon White, Ofcom must be thinking 'Hmm...Pay equality"

As head of the regulator Ofcom, Sharon White arguably has to understand/oversee the running of BT and also run Ofcom. In deciding the job description though, they probably decided the former wasn't a necessary requirement and paid her a lot less accordingly.

Easier just to act like your in BT's pocket for a simpler life, while talking up Ofcom's woeful track record, though, in fairness to her, it's not helped by an incompetent Government.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They'll need to get rid of yet another 13k staff to pay for him!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon