back to article Erm... what did you say again, dear reader?

Have you ever uttered the sound "erm" while speaking? More to the point, have you ever erm'd when answering politicians' questions during a scrutiny panel session? If you have, says one Reg reader, you are bastardising the English language. Oh yes. Turn your eyes, dear reader, to our writeup of the London Assembly's scrutiny …

Page:

1. John Mangan

Flame of the week?

Much too well constructed and lacking the raging, slavering uncontrollable USE of RANDOM capital letters and an excessive provision of exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6/10 - See me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Flame of the week?

What a load of Milton Keynes.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

What a load of Milton Keynes.

<Holly>A load of tottenham, that is. A steaming pile of hotspur.</Holly>

2. Shadow Systems

A typical post by Bombastic Bob for example?

Cheer up Bob, I'll treat you to a pint for your notoriety. =-D

1. jake Silver badge

Bob doesn't typically flame. He rants. Big difference.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Yeah. There were NOT ENOUGH CAPSLOCK in the rant and anti-obama/democrat/leftist boogeyman in the rant to implicate that he was the author.

It's also possible that it was a master-class troll...

*dons nomex suit and runs to the fire extinguisher storage bay*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a splendid response. You should offer Norman a job.

1. m0rt

I've missed FoTW.

I agree with RichardT. Offer 'Norman' a job. A column, if you will. He can create a rant that mirrors, yet offsets, those with which I believe a one Alistair Dabbs dabbles (SWIDT?) with.

I for one would consider turning off my add blocker, if you did.*

* Lie.

1. A K Stiles
        Headmaster

You were doing so well...

" those with which I believe a one Alistair Dabbs dabbles (SWIDT?) with"

If only you had left off the last "with", you would have crafted a sentence of excellent structure. (Well, that and the errant "a" between "believe" and "one Alistair Dabbs" )

I have to agree though, FoTW can provide some wonderful entertainment.

[edited to remove the suggestion you still had time to edit your post as that time has now expired]

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You have something that blocks an 'add' operation? Doesn't that play merry hell with all your calculations and computations?

Personally, I find my web browsing experience is improved by blocking advertisements (each of which is commonly known as an 'advert' or 'ad'.)

2. The First Dave

"What a splendid response. You should offer Norman a job."

I disagree, piss poor show from someone who failed in any way to quote "you know" when it should have been.

3. msknight

Forsooth!

Aye! To olde English thee must be true. To live, and breathe, and grow? Not us. We must, in time, be stricken as if in stone. I wager we would all be the poor, should our language change and we lose the meaning of things. Describe the new fangled? Never! That which is unfamiliar, should stay as the devil on the shore; an un-named mist, for it is not of our own loins.

ie. Ask Norman where, in the time line of the English Language, he would prefer us to weigh anchor. And then poke fun at him for such a suggestion.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Forsooth!

*Thunderous standing ovation*

Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Encore!

*Showers you in roses & chocolates for a job well done*

Congratulations! You just won the internet! =-)p

1. msknight

I wouldn't call it a job well done.. it was something I threw together lest it be lost in the arse end of the comments :-D ... you know what we're like in here!

Oh! Milk Tray! How DID you know :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Given his dislike of 'erm'

It should be a minute-long podcast dismantling the latest tech jargon without hesitation repetition or deviation. Rehearsals are allowed but the recording must be made in one take.

2. Kubla Cant

Ask Norman where, in the time line of the English Language, he would prefer us to weigh anchor.

@msknight: I agree utterly with the sentiment of your post, but I'm bound to point out that to "weigh anchor" is to raise the anchor from the sea bed and, by implication, sail away. I think "drop anchor", or just "anchor" would make more sense in the context.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Headmaster

To olde English thee thou must be true.

1. msknight

@Doctor Syntax - I believe "thee" is correct as I was using it - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thee - but I'm not an expert.

@Kubla Cant - Totally correct.... I'll ask El Reg for an extra few hours window for post editing :-) ... tally ho !!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thee

Please cite an English dictionary when discussing English grammar

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thee

Please cite an English dictionary when discussing English linguistics.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Who are these "Friends" that mer-web say use thee in the subjective case?

I mean they're wrong but who are they?

1. m0rt

I would guess these.

3. Rich 11

I believe "thee" is correct as I was using it

Nowt wrong wi' using "tha" an' all.

1. msknight

I wonder what Shakespeare would have written like if he lived in modern day Halifax.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I have heard Scholars attest that the accent of Will's time was a lot closer to Yorkshire than to what we think of as 'proper' today. I think it was mostly based on which words rhymed.

1. Citizen99

I've read suggestions that, being from Warwickshire, his accent might have been Proto-Brummie.

2. TimMaher Silver badge

Could do you a Chaucer in Saarf London?

“There was this young geezer in ‘is posse wearing a perm.

What was ‘e like!?”

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I believe "thee" is correct as I was using it"

"Thee" is objective, like "him" or "me".

"Thou" is subjective, like "he" or "I".

Which would fit better in your original sentence?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I believe "thee" is correct as I was using it - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thee - but I'm not an expert.

MW says, correctly of course, that it's the objective form. You were using it as the subject. When I grew up in Yorkshire second person singular was still in current use by older gernerations so, give or take the dialect pronunciation, it's second nature.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Coat

I 'goog'ing love the Register comments section :D

4. John Sager

It all went downhill after Beowulf. And Guillaume le Bâtarde didn't help either.

5. Stevie

Thou art nought but a most coutellous bullyrook. Beware lest someone clapperclaws thy mazzard.

4. ArrZarr Silver badge
    Happy

I, for one, am glad that Norman is undertaking efforts that put him in a similar light as the Académie française rather than putting his copious free time to use in some field that might hinder progress to have some stuck-up traditionalist clinging to the arbitrary rulebooks provided. He doesn't work in the public sector, does he?

In the case of our wondrous mongrel tounge, the rulebooks were generally dreamed up in the 18th and 19th centuries by prescriptivist linguists who appear to have had very little basis for most of the rules they created and whose main objective appears to have been getting the English language to be neat and tidy rather than the ability to express ideas and have conversations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] whose main objective appears to have been getting the English language to be neat and tidy rather than the ability to express ideas and have conversations.

IIRC There was another tidy up much earlier. Someone decided that as there were the words "would" and "should" - then the perfectly correct "coud" should match them by changing to "could".

1. 9Rune5

then the perfectly correct "coud" should match them by changing to "could".

Shirley, you mean "cloud"?

2. cat_mara
        Unhappy

Don't get me started on the "inkhorners" that decided "iland" needed an "s" or "dett" a "b" just because Latin had them...

2. alexdonald
    3. Juan Inamillion
      Coat

'In the case of our wondrous mongrel tounge, the rulebooks were generally dreamed up in the 18th and 19th centuries by prescriptivist linguists '

Very cunning them linguists...

5. cat_mara

Wittgenstein, eh?

Handbags pokers at dawn it is!

I'm failing to see what a famously short-tempered 20th century Austrian philosopher has to do with it.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Wittgenstein, eh?

In Philosophical Investigations, Wittgenstein famously* said that "the meaning of a word is its use in the language". So "erm" has a meaning determined by how it's used: as a nonce-word.

*for small values of famously.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The meaning of erm is "I'm pausing for thought but still speaking."

Likewise, Oo-aar and variants thereof usually mean "I am listening, please continue."

1. swm

When I was in college we had a professor whom we taped weekly for a radio show. His speech was littered with "ums", and "ah"s and if we had time we would edit these out of the tape (with real scissors!). Someone spliced all of these tape fragments together and it sounded like someone with something to say but couldn't get it out.

6. jake Silver badge
    Pint

Obvious answer to grammar nazi:

"In closing, might I implore you to stick to good old English. It will never fail you."

Old English? Fair enough, I can do that:

Sprec tō mē on Englice. Ic þancie þē.

(Sārig, ic nāh geweald. Dǣdbōt: bēor.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obvious answer to grammar nazi:

Old English might get us in trouble.

"Bird" meaning woman ( really "byrd", I believe ) is a Viking ( and therefore at some point in history, an English ) word.

I also believe Norman would moan at my northern use of 'ta', from the Danish (and therefore English) "tak".

1. cat_mara
        Coat

I'll get me mantle...

1. jake Silver badge

"I'll get me mantle..."

Mantle is Middle English, from the Anglo-French mantel, and originally Latin mantellum. The OE word for cape or cloak is sciccing.

2. jake Silver badge
        Pint

The language of the Vikings was not Old English. It was Old Norse. The word for woman in ON is kvennalið.

The word for "woman" in OE is frōwe (see: germanic frau).

Both languages have other words and variations for the word woman depending on context. None of them are, or resemble, bird I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to discover them on your own.

My BigDic says that (paraphrasing to avoid the OED's predatory lawyers) ta is the baby-talk version of "thanks" because babies have issues with th and nks. First appeared in print in 1772. And so I learn something I never knew, despite being a Yank who uses the word daily. Ta, disgusted! This round's on me :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

You're going to tell me that King Henry XIII was actually a woman next, aren't you?

Stop ruining my historical knowledge. Down with that sort of thing.

1. jake Silver badge

I know I'll regret asking this ... but how did you make the leap from the history of the English language to the history of Bavaria?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

According to Random House Dictionary, 'bird' meaning woman comes from middle english 'burd' that probably comes from the old english word 'byrde' meaning posh, which would make "classy bird" a tautology.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon