back to article Open-source this, open-source that, and the end of the Windows 10 Creators Update

While the world may have been focused on the acid reflux of the Windows 10 October 2018 release, it wasn't the only news out of Redmond in the past 7 days. It's time for the Microsoft round-up. Buh-bye 1703 While the eyes of Windows fans were on version 1809 of the troubled operating system, another milestone has now been …

1. Teiwaz

Too True.....

because, let's face it, the sooner we get the target audience trained up on using a command line rather than all this damnably new-fangled graphical user interface nonsense, the better the world will be.

I hope you're not being Sarcastic

Perhaps though more likely to be more widely used once plugged into speech recognition, I've seen some of what passes for spelling on the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too True.....

Anyone ever notice how Metro became a nice command line interface? The best thing I learned in my first Window Server 2012 class was to open the start screen and just start typing what I want. This still holds true for Windows 10 start menu. Don't fidget around looking for a tile or app icon. Just start typing.

1. Dwarf

There is nothing fancy about this, its exactly the same on Linux and MacOS.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually, it's been this way on Windows also since I don't know when. It typically defaulted to $PATH, but there was a way to do it on Win98SE* (Although I think it just set $PATH:$whatever_dir_held_program_shortcuts_that_i_dont_remember__quicklaunch?)

* Because SE was sooo superior, you gotta have SE man!

2. AJ MacLeod

start typing, but don't be surprised if the application you want to run doesn't show up even though you know it's installed; the start menu is intermittently broken on Windows 10 and has been since before it was released.

Far more reliable to do win-r and type the actual name of the executable and ignore the start menu completely...

1. Nolveys
          Gimp

Far more reliable to do win-r and type the actual name of the executable and ignore the start menu completely...

Doesn't seem to work too well for running things as administrator. I've taken to right-clicking on the desktop and creating a shortcut to cmd.exe and then right-clicking on that and running as administrator.

I'd love if there were a more "win+r"-ish way to do this. Any suggestions?

1. pavel.petrman

I'd love if there were a more "win+r"-ish way to do this. Any suggestions?

I've been using Launchy since XP and it did better job than any Windows built-in thing (though the Windows 7 start-search is not far behind). On Windows 10 it's the only sensible application launcher. I can only recommend the thing.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>This still holds true for Windows 10 start menu.

Does it shite, it worked perfectly in 7, to the point where winkey+type became an unconcious action. In 10 it became winkey+type... wait a bit while 10 stirs itself from a cloudy stupor, repeatedly backspace and retype what you're looking for to try to get it to give you it instead of some web results crap ('update' is particularly good for this) then eventually give up, close and reopen the start menu and type something else or go mousing because the thing is fudamentally broken, either deliberately to force feed you the metro UI bullshit config screens when you want the old ones that actually work or just through incompetence because the indexing completely fails to find things you can see in your programs list.

1. My Alter Ego

Thank fuck I'm the only person who encounters this...

1. doublelayer Silver badge

For me, usually it works like this:

Me: windows, pause, types "note", enter

Notepad opens.

Me: Closes notepad, windows, pause, types "note", down arrow, enter.

Notepad opens.

Me: Closes notepad, windows, pause, types "note"pad++, enter.

"notepad++" - Bing - Microsoft Edge.

Me: Closes edge, checks that default browser is still set to firefox, Windows, types "note", looks at list. Finds correct position of notepad++ in list, arrows to it, enter.

There might not have been a good search facility before, but I miss when you could pin things to the start menu and they would actually stay there.

2. Nolveys
          Windows

Does it shite, it worked perfectly in 7, to the point where winkey+type became an unconcious action. In 10 it became winkey+type... wait a bit while 10 stirs itself from a cloudy stupor...

The trick is to adjust your own personal timing to match the timing of the UI. 750ml of vodka will get you there*.

* Until your tolerance builds.

1. My-Handle

While I don't doubt for a second that 750ml of vodka would have me matching W10's speed, I don't think any tolerance building would be happening from that point on. You kind of have to be alive for that.

2. onefang

So we can expect a Sad Life / Minecraft mashup? Well, maybe OpenSim instead of Sad Life, coz that's the open source version. One of the co-conspirators on my own OpenSim server will be pleased, she's a Minecraft fan.

3. LeahroyNake

aka the Fail update

Spot on methinks. Any guesses when the the next one will occur ? My money is on a Tuesday:p

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: aka the Fail update

I guess we know why the updates on Taco Tuesday haven't been going so well lately.

4. Smartypantz

Fear among the gargantuans

Microsoft buying something like Minecraft (java based for god sake), clearly shows the fear among the IT Titans that rule our world, of anything threatening their rule.

There will never be "another facebook"! Any would-be creators will be drowned in money by one of the Leviathans (microsoft, google, facebook, amazon or apple)

None of them can tolerate interruptions to the feeding scheme for the AI monsters in their basements!!

1. Teiwaz

Re: Fear among the gargantuans

None of them can tolerate interruptions to the feeding scheme for the AI monsters in their basements!!

That's what concerns me. At some point they're going to get loose, lumber up the stairs and take over.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Alert

Re: Fear among the gargantuans

Dance up the stairs.

5. Waseem Alkurdi

The title is absolutely wrong.

They haven't open-sourced Minecraft. Not even close.

It's just the terminal/chat window mashup. Whoops: its backend.

Though Minecraft is epic, it's a looooooong time before it gets open-sourced.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like