back to article In Windows 10 Update land, nobody can hear you scream

Somebody got a little trigger happy with the big red Windows Update button last week as a broken Intel audio driver was unleashed on users “by mistake”. It has been a hellish couple of weeks for the Windows giant following the launch of the troubled October update for its flagship operating system. Not content with Display …

Page:

1. fedoraman
    Mushroom

Rigorously Tested

This stuff gets tested via the Windows Insider program, yes? Or did I read that a lot of this update skipped that step?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Rigorously Tested

Oh, it gets tested allright...

And reported...

But not listened to...

1. joed

"And reported...But not listened to..." - and now they have bullet proof excuse

1. Giovani Tapini
          Facepalm

That's my view too. The issues are not obscure enough to be down to the lack of certain specific and unpredictable test scenarios that may not have been executed.

This does seem to be down to broken process, and lack of action taken on feedback. This therefore is poor to the point of genuinely as opposed to humorously unprofessional.

2. bill 27

I think all the testers had new duties assigned. They had to go back to high school.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Gimp

"the Intel driver was 'incorrectly pushed to devices via Windows Update'"

More like "excreted to the world via the usual process", i.e. without any testing at all, i.e. "it will work, trust us".

As far as I can tell, Micro-shaft does not HAVE a QA/Test department. They were all laid off just before Win-10-nic released... to be replaced by 'insiders' aka 'fanbois' (who are then ignored). See icon

Unless the testers can press the "no go" button, and can spend all day long JUST testing the OS and teh updates (aka get a salary for it) on a wide range of hardware, we can expect more of this.

(but everyone here already knew this - obvious thing is obvious)

1. Bruno de Florence

Sounds like what's happening with the Universal Credit software in the UK. By the way, anybody knows which company did the coding for Universal Misery?

3. JohnFen

"This stuff gets tested via the Windows Insider program, yes?"

Insider programs absolutely do not count as "rigorous testing."

4. Not-My-Real-Name

Because MS have hijacked their own system, startup process to give the appearance that its quicker (I can feel an ASA complaint coming on here), the system generated events are now in the wrong order.

For example, create two tasks in the task scheduler, one to run at system startup and one to run at user logon. The user logon task fires a whole 10 seconds before the system startup event on the system here.

As its coming up to Xmas I'm sure the yet to be seen MS's adverts can be complained about. It doesn't help that Intel also muddy's the Microsoft water with their need for speed over security.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"For example, create two tasks in the task scheduler, one to run at system startup and one to run at user logon. The user logon task fires a whole 10 seconds before the system startup event on the system here."

Gosh, it sounds just about as reliable/wonderful as systemd...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Gosh, it sounds just about as reliable/wonderful as systemd"

That must be about the only time such a phrase is uttered, outside of the minds of the ones who wrote it anyway.

(Loving Devuan Ascii, all my servers migrated now and just one Mint desktop left)

2. msknight
    Joke

"It has been a hellish couple of weeks for the Windows giant"

...so what about us poor customers that have to suffer this insanity then !!!

1. Shadow Systems

Re: "It has been a hellish couple of weeks for the Windows giant"

Exactly. An update that kills audio? Thanks, that won't hurt my screen reader at all, now will it? Fucking microsoft.

At least the sighted folks can see to interact with their computer to roll back the MS fuck up & restore their audio subsystems. Screen reader users have to take their "dead" computer to places like BestBuy, let the GeekSquad work on it to fix it, & then pay the Danegeld to get a working computer back. All to do it all over again the next time MS fucks up & fucks over our computer.

And people wonder why I say Win10 isn't fit for purpose? I should be able to make MS pay for every trip to the fix it shop to "bring it back from the dead" because it's an expense I wouldn't have to pay had MS bothered to do Due Dilligence & actually, you know, test their fucking code.

*A double handed TheFinger at MS & hopes they get mauled by an angry mob of their users*

No I don't use Win10, I don't dare "upgrade" to that pile of festering shite, I can't afford the constant repair bills it'll generate every time MS fucks up!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I should be able to make MS pay for every trip to the fix it shop"

Remember the user who successfully sued MS in the small claims court for pushing W10 onto her computer?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not that it, or Microsoft, helps.

Thanks for the personal experience example there Shadow Systems. Though not requirements, I do have personal preferences. I have also worked with individuals who have visual or hearing impairments.

So, not that it helps, but we all know how you feel to some extent. Microsoft also ruin the entire boot drive, my documents folder, or graphics driver. So we all get a complete computer crash, blue screen of death, of failure to boot.

Somehow, I think if Windows 10 even turns on these days it is a miracle!

3. Updraft102

Quoting Shadow Systems:

And people wonder why I say Win10 isn't fit for purpose?

I've used the same thing many times. I don't actually remember anyone objecting to it, though I have to say that I am not likely to find any such thing here. I think the people who feign innocence and ask, "What's with all the hate for Windows 10? It's great" are just trolling at this point. Even if a given person has managed to dodge all the bullets, it doesn't mean he is unaware of the existence of said bullets.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

so what about us poor customers"

My students love it. It's the next excuse for missing assignment deadline and asking for an extension.

Funny how it only affected the ones that are regularly late.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

'My students love it. It's the next excuse for missing assignment deadline and asking for an extension.'

When my (computer science) students come up to me with an excuse like that, I simply point them to all the Linux machines in the computer lab (they can be booted to Windows too (I think 7, I never use that), we are not an anti-MS shop).

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

"so what about us poor customers"

B.O.H.I.C.A.

(Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)

3. AMBxx Silver badge

Last time

Last time it was this bad was in the early days of XP/Windows 2000. Microsoft's solution then was to stop introducing new functionality outside of major releases. Worked a charm.

This time, I think they'll just double down and hope for the best.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Last time

No, NT3.5, NT3.51, NT4.0, Win2K, XP and Win2003 server NEVER this bad. Vista was bad but gradually improved, finally sorted by SP called Win 7.

Win ME was broken from start. Only solutions were either Win 98SE (if gamer or HW/RAM no good for NT), or NT4.0 (Business only) or Win 2000,

Win 3.x gradually improved to WFWG3.11 with Win32s, VFW, 32 bit disk and MS 32bit TCP/IP.

Win 8 was stupid.

Win10 is abuse of users and a worse backward step than Vista or ME. GUI wise, they forgotten everything learned since Win3.0. It's a failure on configuration & management with settings all over the place and sometimes looking like text, or now command line only (Net Users command needed to add new local users with no MS account on some Win 10 versions),

1. Captain Scarlet

"Win ME was broken from start" - Give it 512MB of ram and disable all the useless propgram from startup

1. Captain Scarlet

Why downvote me and not tell me why, its an internet forum so you are allowed to correct me?

Windows ME with 512MB and disabling the crud is about as stable as any Windows 9x operating system (Its 98 with some hurried bloatware added on), I know as I had to put up with Windows ME on a computer I purchased (Windows ME with 128MB of ram, with a standard install for me would BSOD after 30 minutes of gaming), a year later I went to Windows 2000 and could then look down on my fellow Windows 9x friends as they had random BSOD's in Half Life mods such as Sven Co-op whilst lanning.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Devil

"Why downvote me and not tell me why"

Don't take it personally. It's probably the howler monkeys, slinging poo as usual. Go fig, yeah. I get downvotes all the time, just for being me. It's a badge of honor. Par for the course. Etc.

I got this T shirt that says something like: "The Internet - if you're not offending someone, you're doing it wrong". You could insert 'getting downvotes' and ti would be similar.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Yes, be proud of your downvotes, I have nearly 3000 and chrish each and everyone.

Means you are speaking your mind and not caring what others think, which is the way it should be.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
                Thumb Up

I have 3031. Please have another from me to help you catch up.

2. jgarbo

And not caring about spelling. Go forth, Horatio!

2. Captain Scarlet

"It's probably the howler monkeys"

I don't mind downvotes if I am corrected or someone gives a decent reason then I am happy to take it on the chin, I get stuff wrong all the time (Except for how to make a cup of tea!) like anyone else.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
                Angel

I feel left out now. I've only got 1367 downvotes. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

2. JohnFen

"if I am corrected or someone gives a decent reason then I am happy to take it on the chin"

I don't even consider that as "taking it on the chin". I am happy to be corrected! When I make a mistake and someone corrects me, that's a moment to celebrate as it means that I've become just a little less stupid.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And the last update for Windows 8.1 borked my DVD writer, totally - remove, reinstall, windows STILL thinks its a firkin CD-ROM, FFS - when did ANYONE last use a CDROM?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"when did ANYONE last use a CDROM?"

A few weeks ago. Debian or Devuan CD-ROM, boot up minimal installation disk, do a network install.

1. eldakka

@Doctor Syntax

A few weeks ago. Debian or Devuan CD-ROM, boot up minimal installation disk, do a network install.

I do believe OP meant, but didn't explicitly say (perhaps being lazy), CDROM drive, as opposed to a CD R/W drive. And when's the last time anyone used a CD-only drive as opposed to a DVD-R/W drive or even, these days, a BluRay R/W drive?

Tho admittedly, at home, I have't had a working CD/DVD/BluRay drive for a decade.

2. JohnFen

I used one just this morning.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Win 8 was stupid"

But my Win 8.1 has never given me any trouble. It may have been stupid... but unlike 10, it worked. XD

1. fobobob

Re: "Win 8 was stupid"

Same here, 8.1 was where I kind of jumped off the Windows train. Bought Win 8 Pro shortly after the Win10 RTM proved to be pretty much everything we feared it might be (unending "development", forced updates, even-more-questionable privacy practices, etc.). Just add ClassicShell, and it'll do most anything I need it to do. Though somewhat more difficult than Win7, I have yet to run into any major compatibility issues with old software such as early-2000s directx games, VB6, and older office variants; what problems I did encounter were easily resolved with the body of reference that has accumulated trough people's trials and errors to date. That last part is something Win10 seemed to try to throw out the window(s); fortunately, a lot of Win7/Win8 compatibility tricks are still relevant.

4. SVV

Wait til the November update screws up even more computers

Then there'll be fireworks!

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Wait til the November update screws up even more computers

Someone should light a bonfire under Microsoft.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Wait til the November update screws up even more computers

Under Microsoft? Noooo...

OF Microsoft. There, that's more like it...

5. Unicornpiss
    Alert

Even when the audio works..

..Windows seems to use a dartboard to determine which default audio device to use, especially for Skype.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Even when the audio works..

At last investigation, Skype uses three different dart boards. Sometimes these agree with each other, sometimes they don't. When they don't (which will happen on a previously working system before an important call) then Skype will operate in the most retarded, useless and uninformative manner and simultaneously tell the user that it's configured, testing, not working and not configured (no audio devices available).

1. Muscleguy

I've given up on Skype, on the Mac. It insisted I update it and all I get is a window with nothing in it. The buttons are all there but if you click on the wrong one or the wrong bit of the screen it borks the whole thing.

I only fired Skype up to try and help my wife out who was having trouble with it on her work Windoze box and needed a separate user to troubleshoot it.

So it's WhatsApp or nothing (Facetime is still there but I only have the eldest on that and she's not talking to me . . .).

1. JohnFen

"So it's WhatsApp or nothing"

I advise avoiding Facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"So it's WhatsApp or nothing"

Even the original WhatsApp developers as good as recommend that you should use Signal instead, after Facebook started to grope WhatsApp with their tentacles in unpleasant ways.

(Sadly, the desktop dumbish client for Signal is pretty clunky, however.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2018/09/26/exclusive-whatsapp-cofounder-brian-acton-gives-the-inside-story-on-deletefacebook-and-why-he-left-850-million-behind/

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I've given up on Skype, on the Mac. It insisted I update it and all I get is a window with nothing in it. The buttons are all there but if you click on the wrong one or the wrong bit of the screen it borks the whole thing.

I only fired Skype up to try and help my wife out who was having trouble with it on her work Windoze box and needed a separate user to troubleshoot it.

So it's WhatsApp or nothing..."

Whatsapp or nothing? Did your Skype managed to break your mac completely or something?

Regardless of the condition of your mac,

Have you tried using Skype for another platform?

Have you tried using Teamviewer to directly fix the problem?

Have you tried using any other chat/video chat alternatives?

Have you tried using your phone to call?

Seriously, the only thing that is x or nothing would be my clothing. Either I'm wearing something or I'm wearing nothing.

1. jgarbo

Nothing? Sleeveless or off the shoulder?

3. Mage Silver badge

Viber isn't Facebook

2. csecguy44

I thought that was a feature for mobile devices only? Hear your call ring in your headset, and the system goes to phone as soon as the call is answered.

3. eldakka

..Windows seems to use a dartboard to determine which default audio device to use, especially for Skype.

Or maybe an Ouija Board.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Windows seems to use a dartboard to determine which default audio device to use, especially for Skype."

I'm not sure whether I am relieved or saddened to hear that that is not only a "feature" of Skype on Linux as well (trying to work out which obscurely named audio device is the built-in loudspeaker, versus headphone out, versus headset out, is a nightmare...)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like