back to article Microsoft yanks the document-destroying Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Microsoft has taken the unprecedented step of pulling a Windows 10 release a mere four days after its arrival amid a clamour of users complaining about files not being where they had left them. Windows Insider supremo Dona Sarkar took to Twitter to announce that Windows fans would no longer be able to get their hands on the …

Page:

1. Aladdin Sane

If this was an Apple product

"You're installing it wrong"

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Facepalm

find out what the recovery process is going to be

Thank Gates you only have to press <ctrl-z> to undo the update.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: find out what the recovery process is going to be

ctrl+alt+fuckit

1. Fungus Bob

"ctrl+alt+fuckit"

That would be to install the update...

2. southen bastard
          Joke

Where's the fuckit key, I CANT FIND THE FUCKIT KEY!!

Microsoft knowledge base says it's beside the anykey, WHERE"S THE FUCKING ANYKEY!!

TO LATE its installing.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

It's UNDER the ANYKEY. Just lift the ANY key up and it'll be there.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: It's UNDER the ANYKEY

Looks like you've been updated to the same version Bombastic Bob has been using.

2. fidodogbreath

Re: If this was an Apple product

Microsoft's advice to those who have downloaded the build is: for goodness' sake, don't install the thing.

Good advice for Windows 10 in general.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

I disagree. I still have Windows 7 on my ThinkPad but there are some nice little features of Windows 10 that make it enjoyable to use. Shame those features aren't in Windows 7. Still sticking with that on my Thinkpad for now.

One madness with Windows 10 I don't understand is alot of the privacy and the Bluetooth default. Discovered it at work today or what issue it can cause. Sets itself to allow any Bluetooth device to connect even if not specifically paired. What issue did that cause today? The Bluetooth moused used by the person in front of the user I had a call out for was fucking interfering with their laptop causing the call of "my mouse is moving on its own".

What are Microsoft doing?

And on slightly unrelated moan with Office 365 and the shitty exchange spam filter. Tell it to block all yahoo.jp addresses yet it still lets them through ):o(

1. nextenso

Its seems to be a policy by many users in these forums to knock Msoft. In my family, my business, and businesses of my family members, we have solely used Msoft Windows, starting dos based and onwards, and the Msoft family of products through most editions since 1987. We use our machines heavily all day. Apart from occasional glitches and Millenium, its been dependable and I wouldn't touch Apple having tried it several times.

The almost infinitely wide range of compatible software and the superb almost instant support response (Office 365) keeps us firmly bound to Msoft, as do millions of others.

Of course there are glitches. This software. With so many millions of users using an almost inconceivable range of different combinations of hardware and software editions, no amount of testing will find all problems, plus inevitable human error at Msoft and elsewhere. I speak as one who has developed software.

1. fishbone

It also seems to be policy for Apple fanbois to complain about complaining.

2. Updraft102

no amount of testing will find all problems,

Therein lies the problem. Microsoft apparently took that statement the wrong way, because they perform no amount of testing!

They got rid of the paid testers to save money (which I am sure it does, just as it would save money if car manufacturers could skip all the safety testing. Who needs testing anyway?).

So now they push this stuff off to the Insiders for "testing," where they did find and report the bug, but because their bug fixing system is somehow a popularity contest, the data loss bugs didn't get enough upvotes to be fixed. It wasn't popular enough to be fixed!

I'd be a lot more inclined to accept the "can't find all the bugs" if Microsoft had made even the slightest effort to do so. It's not hard to see how an assortment of volunteers playing around with new builds in their spare time and reporting those bugs in the un-serious party environment of the Insider forum would end up finding less bugs than professional QA testers, and that's often the case. In this case, the volunteers did find and report the bug at least 14 times, and MS still chose to greenlight the build with the data loss bug still intact.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Its seems to be a policy by many users in these forums to knock Msoft.

Because they're a corrupt, convicted monopolist, making lousy software and seem to be happy paying PR types to post positive messages of support on various tech forums.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

there are some nice little features of Windows 10 that make it enjoyable to use

Like what? Honestly, there is not a single change in Windows 10 that I feel is an improvement on Windows 7. Not that I'm fond of Win7 - but Win10 is a fucking unmitigated nightmare. Windows 95 was better. OS/400 V3 was better. Using MVS via JCL jobs and TSO is better. Frickin' MS-DOS 2.0 may not have been better, strictly speaking, but it was less annoying.

I've used a lot of operating systems, and none has come close to the continual stream of aggravations and outright horrible behavior of Win10.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If it was an Apple product, updating would basically hose everything and reset all settings to factory defaults. I've had that happen more than once when installing a MacOSX update. Thankfully my iMac is "too old" to install the latest version of MacOS.

1. JaimieV

How the fuck? The user account I'm typing this from was first created in Tiger in 2005 and has been migrated through all the intervening releases. The other half's account is from 2006. They've both travelled through different chains of hardware from Minis to MacBooks and Pros to iMacs and back to Mini again.

I've even run a bunch of those migrations through beta releases of OS X/macOS. How is yours so flaky?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

"The user account I'm typing this from was first created in Tiger in 2005 and has been migrated through all the intervening releases."

In my experience, I've never seen it do anything to the user folder, or really most places on the hard drive. However, it does at times reset settings. You have to go to system preferences to switch them back. I've seen this on IOS too. It's not a terrible bug, but I set those settings and I'd like them to stay that way without my needing to go back in. I've also seen certain installation bugs (the one that hit me when high sierra was launched at me is particularly memorable). Still, I'd say that apple OS releases haven't really had anything as bad as this one on windows.

As usual, I'm glad that yours is working, but if others' systems aren't, there is still a problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How is yours so flaky?

So, for the first few years of owning my mac, I didn't really use it for much. I needed xcode to publish iOS builds of the game I released many years ago, and that was about it.

Some time after that I realised I could set up Apache and use it as an internal server for web development and testing, which I (slowly and painfully) did. That was working fine for a while. Until I updated macOS. That update effectively destroyed all my custom network settings and the entire Apache configuration. Now, it's entirely likely that I didn't set things up "correctly". But in all honesty, if macOS ships with something like Apache, then it should ship with a fucking configuration tool, so I can't set it up wrong. And if it configuration files have changed, maybe it should not blindly fucking overwrite them when updating. Apple love to harp on about how user friendly their machines are, but to be honest that's been a complete crock of shit for at least 20 years now. (I used OS6 (or 7, I don't remember) for quite a while back in the day and absolutely loved it.)

A second update destroyed the vmWare setup I was using. Now this was basically due to vmWare stopping support for the product I had bought (it wasn't more than two years old) and Apple not giving a rat's shit about backwards compatibility. Suffice to say I will never buy anything from vmWare ever again.

After losing the Apache configuration I decided to invest in something that could manage that shit for me, so I bought MAMP Pro (iirc) and set about rebuilding the test configuration for my web development setup. That worked fine until, once again, I updated macOS and, once again, that system was hosed. The version of MAMP Pro that I bought doesn't really work with the latest macOS (hello, backwards compatibility) and I mostly haven't bothered trying to figure out why - it sort of works, but mostly doesn't for no obvious reason that I can see. I can't be arsed to to figure out why, and I don't really need it these days anyway.

Now that I can't update macOS, my copy of xcode will very shortly be too old to support the features our app developers are using, and at that point I will throw my mac in the garbage where it belongs. (And pray work doesn't buy me a new one.)

I think that brings us up-to-date. Who needs a drink?

4. goats in pajamas

If this was a story about a failure at Apple then your post would have merit. As it is it's just infantile.

Stick with your plastic Windows box and leave criticising Macs to those who have actually used one and maybe try and find something pertinent to say about the matter in hand.

2. SJA

Why even touch user folders?

It's a Windows Update. Why do they even need to touch the user folder?

1. Tigra 07
      Linux

Re: Why even touch user folders?

Instead of copying everyone's files to give to the NSA they accidentally cut them. The fix is identify which files are yours and give you a copy back.

</Smug penguin>

1. Marco van de Voort

Re: Why even touch user folders? Onedrive

Several sources say that the bundled onedrive update wipes out locally stored files if they are not in the cloud. One forum post said that defanging onedrive settings (files-on-demand setting) and updating onedrive separately before the update should remedy that.

Not that I recommend trying that, specially now that it has been pulled.

1. Tigra 07
          Black Helicopters

Re: Marco

Aha, so it does involve Onedrive. For anyone not aware, Microsoft was caught aiding the NSA and giving access to Onedrive. It's not paranoia, it's happening (or at least it was and now they cover it up better).

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2344633/leaked-nsa-document-shows-microsoft-co-operation-over-prism

2. Julian 8 Silver badge

Even more reason for us to be able to remove this bit of bloatware

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Several sources say that the bundled onedrive update wipes out locally stored files if they are not in the cloud.

Ah yes. Reminds me of something that happened to my as-then boss in the late 1990s.

He had just got a shiny new laptop, and had about 5GB of mail stored in the Exchange server (a lot in those days). He configured his new laptop, and told Outlook to sync to Exchange.

Outlook obliged and brought the two into sync - by deleting all his mail from the server.

1. SonOfDilbert
            Flame

Ah! Those were the days! Reminds me of the time that the Exchange information store used to stop when the 15GB limit was hit. If some poor schmuck tried to restart the information store service, the whole store somehow became corrupt and had to be restored from backup. Such fond memories of praying that the restore was going to work at 2 in the morning.

1. Slabfondler
              Facepalm

That reminds me of a great mail transport system I used in the late 80's - it had a similar issue, where if it ran out of space it would trigger an email to the admin, but since it had no room for the message, would generate another message to the admin, and so on and so on...

4. Twilight

How about Microsoft decouple OneDrive? I have absolutely no need for a OneDrive update (or at all). OneDrive is inferior to DropBox or many other solutions.

2. wallaby

"Instead of copying everyone's files to give to the NSA they accidentally cut them. The fix is identify which files are yours and give you a copy back.

</Smug penguin>"

To use a previous users post with a small modification:-

If this was a story about a failure at Linux then your post would have merit. As it is it's just infantile.

2. djvrs

So as I thought then, the Windows 10 edition updates are more like a fresh install of Windows and a 'transfer' of your files and programs to the new/freshly installed version......Great......

1. Killfalcon Silver badge

Sounds to me like OneDrive is force-syncing in a stupid way, and removing files it doesn't have it's cloudy list ('syncing' a supposed 'deletion', maybe).

I suppose it's possible that they're using OneDrive to bring your files to a fresh install, but that seems like a pointlessly expensive way to do it. Microsoft does have to pay for the bandwidth OneDrive uses at their end, after all, and this would result in a lot of data moving per user every update.

1. Sixtysix
          Black Helicopters

OneDrive - Re: Why even touch user folders?

I don't use OneDrive

I don't use a Microsoft Login

...Will I be safe, or selected for "extra" special deletion?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. keith_w

Re: OneDrive - Why even touch user folders?

my 32GB acer had 8.xGB free and successfully updated. How much counts as "Not Much"? OTOH, I didn't have any personal files on it as it was strictly used for email while travelling. so of course there was nothing available to disappear..

2. bd1235

I don't use One Drive or a Microsoft login and I had no trouble with the update on my TEST system. We all install on our TEST systems first so we can iron out the probs first before attacking our real system which has precious unbacked up data.

1. mistersaxon

Not to be picky but if your data in the real system is precious, why isn't it backed up?

Moving on, the issue here seems to be related to the idea that OneDrive is a backup solution when it's a HA solution, the difference being that the HA doesn't record a point-in-time, it attempts to recreate a state by copying and deleting. The lesson being that old chestnut: you always need a backup.

3. beep54

"I don't use a Microsoft Login" A while back my desktop went rather spectacularly titsup and somehow hosed my main gmail account which I've never been able to recover. This meant I was no longer automatically logged into 10, which seems to grieve it highly. I have found that there seems to be absolutely no reason to log into MS when using 10. The sad little "PLEASE LOG IN....PRETTY PLEASE???" popups are both mildly annoying and amusing.

2. spr97ajm

The first ever Windows phone I owned (the Orange SPV) had a similar sync philosophy. The first time I connected it to my PC, it deleted all my contacts.

I had to admit, both devices were then in sync though.

1. Phil Kingston

Smartphone 2002, with ActiveSync, those were the days

3. el kabong

Data slurping, of course!

Everyone is doing it so... why not?

4. rmason

It's not "updates" as we know and 'love' them.

The feature updates for win10 are effectively OS re-installs. More scope for stuff to go badly wrong.

They tend to be huge, 1.5-3GB. A far cry from the old windows updates most are familiar with.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge
        Unhappy

They tend to be huge, 1.5-3GB. A far cry from the old windows updates most are familiar with.

On the plus side, they're also appallingly slow. When my Win10 machine (a recent-model Dell laptop, supplied by my employer, of course, since I wouldn't pay money for Dell equipment or Windows 10) updated a few weeks ago, it took over three hours to finish the "update", not counting download time. Three hours, during which the machine rebooted four or five times, and sternly warned me not to turn it off or touch anything or look at it sideways.

This was problematic not only because of the obvious failure modes (hey, Microsoft, some people have desktop machines that aren't on a UPS...), but because I had to leave for a trip that morning. Of course, I wouldn't have chosen to install an update right before I had to leave, but Microsoft decided to force one on me overnight "to improve my experience" and "make Windows better".

You know what would make Windows better, Microsoft? Stopping the compulsory "updates", and firing whoever approved that idea in the first place.

5. King Jack
      Facepalm

Windows 10 is spyware. You need to go through users private offerings to get info. That is why Win10 goes through user folders.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a Windows Update. Why do they even need to touch the user folder?

I reckon it's the move from \users\%user% to \victims\%user% that went wrong. It's still all there, just linked to the wrong place so you end up with some data being stored correctly from newer software, and some still being dumped at \users\%user%..

7. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Terminator

Don't ask Micro-shaft 'why', you'll just get a ban from their forums for NOT bowing down and worshiping them, and 'enjoying' EVERYTHING they do [to you], like a good little fanboi.

From the article: A former 'MVP' "went public after being defrocked following criticism"

Micro-shaft does NOT like criticism. ANY criticism. Especially, when it's the _TRUTH_.

/me "been there done that" back during the 'insider program'. MANY of us were VERY vocal about the 'wrongness' and were inappropriately treated by moderators, etc.. They wanted the insider forums to consist of praise and worship and "all good, no problems". Instead they got FEEDBACK about the wrong things they were doing, especially the ads, the slurp and forced updates. I was particularly vocal about the 2D FLATSO and the obvious 'not listening' to the customers.

And that's because we're not CUSTOMERS to them. We're "masses" or "minions" or something worse...

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Sounds a lot like YAN orange-haired despot we know and "love"...

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

"A good state"

weasel words. Not "get your files back", but "a good state".

It's a little like being told your house is going back to a "good state" after a burglary. No, you won't get your shit back. But it will smell of pine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "A good state"

North Korea is a good state - depending on who you ask.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The guy who wrote the update

Should have got the sack

But that wouldn't bring three thousand million, seven hundred and sixty-eight deleted files back

Would it?

1. Frank Bitterlich
      Facepalm

"The guy who wrote the update"

Seriously? "The" guy? You're assuming that one dev wrote this release?

It's not exactly breaking news that developers do make mistakes; it should be the job of QA to prevent these mistakes from hitting the street. As such, a Release Preview program (a.k.a. "Install-at-your-own-risk-club") is a good last step to catch catastrophic bugs that the rest of QA didn't catch.

But to some PHB it also looks like a good thing to scrap when you want to get your release out quicker and cheaper.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like