back to article On the seventh anniversary of Steve Jobs' death, we give you 7 times he served humanity and acted as an example to others

Seven years ago on this day, Steve Jobs, the cofounder of Apple and a man held up as one of the most remarkable innovators of modern times, died at his home in Silicon Valley, aged 56. To commemorate the day, this morning Apple CEO Tim Cook posted a picture of Jobs in his prime with the simple message: "Steve showed me – and …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not April 1st, is it?

Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary and this article will be the definition.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary

Whoooooooooooooooooooosh.

C.

1. Azium

Re: Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary

Did you even read the article? Or just the title.

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Trollface

Re: Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary

"Did you even read the article? Or just the title."

No, of course I didn't read the article. The comments are much more interesting.

2. JohnFen

Or maybe you should look up "Poe's Law"...

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Facepalm

Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary and this article will be the definition.

Seriously? You wrote that? To coin a phrase, it's not April 1st, is it?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

> Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary and this article will be the definition.

I guess the satire was a little too obscure for some people. I thought it was very funny and very on the mark.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: It's not April 1st, is it?

The satire wasn't too obscure for him; he just did what most people on the internet do - He read the headline, got hit on the jaw by his knee flying upwards, and commented with a puzzled and angry and outraged disbelief that anyone else could think other than he does. I do it all the time so I know!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

"read the headline, got hit on the jaw by his knee flying upwards"

etc.

yeah I got hooked on that headline, after which I scanned the bullet points before starting to read, and THEN saw all of the snark I would've replied with in comments [and then some]. Everyone who knows anything about Steve Jobs knows he was NO saint, but hey, that's why the article [and it's baiting headline] was so much fun!

2. VinceH

"I guess the satire was a little too obscure for some people."

I thought it was hard to miss - the article was dripping with it. So much so that some has dripped out of my computer and I've had to wipe it off my desk.

3. K

lol .. I'll admit I read the Title, grabbed my popcorn, then jumped direct to the comments page... expecting to find all-out-war with the fanbois!

But your comment indicated something funny, so I did go back and actually read it..

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I didn't spot it was satire the first time around.

1. Geoffrey W
          Pint

If you didn't spot the satire first time round then you either didn't read the article or you were too affected by your psycho-active drug of choice, be it beer or botanical in origin...I suppose beer is botanical too...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I didn't spot it was satire the first time around."

I didn't either, Ok it's El Reg, so we should expect some satire with anything relating to Apple, but honestly I dont think this reads like satire at all.

Not my cup of satire obviously

3. julianh72

Wow! Does a Reg article actually need a big bold headline "WARNING: SATIRE AHEAD" to avoid being misconstrued?

I thought that the simple fact that a piece appears in the Reg would be warning enough for most readers - finding a non-satirical piece is the real challenge!

5. dak

I didn't see any satire.

Lots of sarcasm, though.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

Satire vs sarcasm?

I was thinking 'snark'. Some of the best yet.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>I guess the satire was a little too obscure for some people.

There is something profoundly weird when a satirical comment about a satirical article is hammered with down votes. Selective sense of satire? Or people belatedly seeing the light, after the author gives a huuuge hint??

5. Teiwaz

hamartography is more like it.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He said what everyone else was thinking regards Adobe Flash. We're all better for it.

He said what everyone else was thinking regards Adobe Flash, called it out for what it was (and still is). 'Utter shite', bug-ridden code that shouldn't be on any device. Adobe Flash just acts as an attack vector for malicious code today and not much else.

He deserves praise for that, he could have easily kept quiet, the typical Microsoft way/approach.

Cook, while competent at manipulating the supply chain, is an evangelical salesman who doesn't know when to shut-up with the self-belief, Jobs treated Apple with scepticism, like a customer should/would.

You might not like his products/lockdown of Apple products, but the way he approached Apple as a growing business, was pretty clever.

The 'Product DNA' that launched the iPod range, is exactly the same 8 years on. In 2010 press/competitors talked about an "iPhone/iPod/iPad Killer" competitor devices. Apple's DNA strategy then was the same as now, i.e a 6 colour release of the iPhone XR, like iPod nanos, back in the day.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
        Unhappy

Re: He said what everyone else was thinking regards Adobe Flash. We're all better for it.

"He said what everyone else was thinking regards Adobe Flash, called it out for what it was (and still is). 'Utter shite', bug-ridden code that shouldn't be on any device. Adobe Flash just acts as an attack vector for malicious code today and not much else."

Not quite everyone, sadly. Microsoft were and are so impressed that they've made it a standard part of Windows. Says it all, really...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: He said what everyone else was thinking regards Adobe Flash. We're all better for it.

He said what everyone else was thinking regards Adobe Flash, called it out for what it was (and still is). 'Utter shite', bug-ridden code that shouldn't be on any device.

He had no idea about the quality of the code – any why should he when he wasn't a programmer – but he was worried that the ubiquity of Flash would give Adobe power in the digital media market and he wanted to cut them out. So he pushed engineers to make Webkit good enough for the App Store and I-Tunes and joined the relevant patent pools. As soon as this particular mission was accomplished work on Webkit was essentially dropped until the notch arrived and non-Apple software got frozen out of the hardware acceleration on the mobile devices.

3. xanda
        Meh

Half of what you said is right...

7. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Felt like something Steve Bong would have written

8. Doctor Huh?

Drax the Destroyer comments...

"Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast; I would catch it!" -- Drax

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiah5GB4vbdAhXydN8KHeXlB8kQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftenor.com%2Fview%2Fdrax-the-destroyer-dave-bautista-metaphor-guardians-of-the-galaxy-over-my-head-gif-3613490&psig=AOvVaw2yuPcRbpxa-g26PoLcFaZY&ust=1539085389794735

9. Goldmember

"It's not April 1st, is it?

Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary and this article will be the definition."

You must be new here.

Next time, may I suggest you read the first paragraph and the last before commenting, if you can't be arsed reading the whole thing?

10. Jove Bronze badge

Look up "hagiography" in the dictionary

... and it won't be long before the Fanboys have an official catechism, and a team of Inquisitor burning non-conformists at the stake.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poe's Law?

Poe's law? fuck that. The lesson is way older than "that Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture" (wikipedia etc)

@AC and co: This article is anchored on "as ye sow, so ye shall reap".

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Lest we judge

Whilst few of us would care to have our lives weighed in the balance (by Anubis or any other deity) I did get reminded of a phrase a learned co-worker of mine oft repeated:

The Karma Police will get you.

3. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

He's not the messiah...

... was I the only one who read this with the choir from the Life of Brian opening scene in their head?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He's not the messiah...

Indeed. That title has been given to Elon Musk by the hordes of Tesla Disciples. If you thought that Apple Fanbois were/are bad, then 'you ain't seen nothing yet'.

Just wait until the sacred Model 3 comes to the UK. They will be out in force making sure that all petrol/diesel engined car drivers know who is the superior being.

I'm all for EV's but that Tesla crew are just wierd. I'll carry on driving my Zoe and ignore their 'That's a POS car' taunts they send in my direction.

Hopefully written with the same TIC attitude as the Steve Jobs article but I probably failed miserably.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can't help thinking the anti-teslas ad anti-Elons are as rabid as the fanbois.

Seems to have created a partisan split that happens a lot. When something gets overly adored/hyped another group spring up to overly put it down, when the truth is somewhere in the middle or elements of both.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Just wait until the sacred Model 3 comes to the UK."

Yeah, just wait, but don't do anything rash like "hold your breath".

3. Spazturtle Silver badge

"Just wait until the sacred Model 3 comes to the UK. "

It won't because it can't.

You cannot open the rear doors on the Model 3 if you run out of power, so you are left trapped inside the car. Here it is a requirement that you be able to open the car doors in the even of an electrical failure.

Also the Model 3 seams to get damaged if you drive it during rain due to a design flaw. (search "model 3 bumper falls off").

4. Hans 1
        Coffee/keyboard

Model 3 can almost tow a WWII tank and reach 60 mph before you, with your Zoe towing nothing ... has 4 times your autonomy or something crazy like that ? Now, not a big Tesla fan, but a Zoe ? A Zoe is a toy, should be allowed for drivers without a license ...

2. John Doe 6

Actually he was far more "Messiah" than anyone else at that time...

...and unlike most Messiahs he delivered the goods, not just visions.

1. Aladdin Sane

Wasn't nailed to a tree though.

1. Emmeran

I thought Odin did that first, everyone else was just a copycat.

Wait, how did Jobs slip into my reply???

4. AlexGreyhead

Lovely chap

Sorely missed...

1. Notas Badoff

Re: Sorely missed...

tearing off that plaster never felt so good!

Thank you Kieren - it needed to be done.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be some other Steve Jobs your talking about.

The Steve Jobs i met in the 80s came towards me bare feet slapping on the sidewalk looking like a homeless guy in a sharp suit. I remember things like that mattered to him no animal product.

Very keen mind, and had a wonderful left-of-field outlook on life.

I found it quite amusing to see the same guy become this iphone guru.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

lol how many of those people who downvoted me actually KNEW Steve Jobs.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Er, Most Revered Saint Jobs, not Steve Jobs.

It is irrelevant that he might've been good one day. Any criminal or other bad-behaving individual in this world might've been good in the past. What matters is his later positions and actions.

If we choose to judge apparently bad people based on their past good behavior, then criminals could well be forgiven by judges for being, one day, good members of society.

Anyhow, we shouldn't judge him ourselves, let's leave that to God. But we should definitely take his actions into consideration when we form our opinion of him, especially for people who, unlike yourself, did not meet him personally.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It is irrelevant that he might've been good one day. Any criminal or other bad-behaving individual in this world might've been good in the past. What matters is his later positions and actions."

So all the bad things Bill Gates has done in the past are now irrelevant because he does so much charitable work with his money?

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Good question.

Two answers are possible. One is based on a strictly material worldview, and the other is based on the view that the material world is not the end.

The first possible answer is that no, his present actions do not forgive his past ones. This is likely the view held by a court of law, for example. A court of law wouldn't give a damn if he repented or whether he feels guilty and is never going to repeat his bad actions. His "inside change" doesn't change anything on the material level. It doesn't "wipe away" his past actions.

The second answer is that yes, his present actions do forgive his past ones, because he has changed on the inside. His change on the inside means that he won't repeat his actions, and God would forgive him in exchange for his past misdeeds.

1. jmch Silver badge

"The first possible answer is that no, his present actions do not forgive his past ones. This is likely the view held by a court of law, for example"

Actually in a court of law, most past actions (depending how far back) are proscribed by statute of limitations for pretty much everything except murder. So irrespective of present actions they're not too interested in the distant past.

1. Jove Bronze badge

Try getting that past the Democrats - as far as they are concerned they do not need evidence for you to be found guilty.

2. JohnFen

"The first possible answer is that no, his present actions do not forgive his past ones."

This is my view. If you've done bad things in the past, those things are not erased or forgiven by doing good things later on. Future good works may (or may not) indicate that a person has learned their lesson and changed for the better. Even if when they do, however, the transformation from bad person to good person does not mean that the things done when they were bad people are forgiven.

To earn forgiveness requires something different than doing good works. It requires recognizing, admitting to, and apologizing for the bad things, in conjunction with doing what you can to repair the damage you've done and then never doing the bad things again.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

I totally agree.

But doesn't forgiveness require both? Good work that indicates one has changed, in addition to a serious apology, preferably in public?

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

God Doesn't Work That Way

RE: Being forgiven for past misdeeds by doing good deeds.

Nope, doesn't work that way. Your past misdeeds (sins) can only be washed away by God's grace. Not you, not Steve Jobs, not me, nobody deserves, or earns, their way into Heaven. You cannot "buy" your way into the afterlife by doing good deeds. That implies a contractual relationship...I do "this", and God does "that" in return, and now you control God. Only through Grace can you be saved. And for this, you THEN do good deeds, to show God how appreciative you are. As to whether Jobs is in Heaven, I have no idea, that's between Jobs and his Creator.

The good news: Everyone can be saved, they just have to accept Christ as their savior. That's it. No money, no deeds, no sacrifices, nothing else required. Simple, easy-peasy, but ridiculously hard for Man to accept as we always want to be in control, even of our gods.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like