back to article Day two – and Windows 10 October 2018 Update trips over Intel audio

Barely a day into release and Microsoft has admitted there is a problem with its shiny new OS and chips from Intel. Using Intel Display Audio? No Windows for you! As well as the usual complaints from overenthusiastic users reporting freezes during setup and mysteriously vanishing files or apps, a low rumble of dissatisfaction …

Page:

1. Wolfclaw
    Facepalm

Upgraded yesterday using USB, no issues found so far on using a Ryzen 2600 and Asus Prime x470 Pro, even the Intel NIC is behaving itself. So glad I decided against an Intel rig, yes AMD not prone to issues, but compared to Intel, life is easier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I never update or upgrade on the first week, it's too dangerous.

1. Grikath

I simply stick to 7.

But hey .....Troglodite and all...

1. DoctorPaul

Likewise, and the next move will be to Mint

2. Kris Sweeney

Windows 7 is no protection

Running Windows 7 Ult and my audio died with the October update. While recording devices can be installed successfully and stream audio, all audio output devices failed and were marked with an exclamation mark in device manager following a reboot. no combination of uninstall, reboot, reinstall, download latest known good, rinse and repeat has worked.

Devices have the following explanation as to why the installation fails:

'Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)'

Thanks Microsoft.

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
        Mushroom

I hate change and the Windows 10 model

I preferred it when you had an SP1 to deploy on myself and then the rest of the family at SP2

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I hate change and the Windows 10 model

See if you can root around and get your hands on a long term branch version of Windows. You still get DX12 etc. etc. but you don't have to put up with the nonsense.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

I thought that was only with the Enterprise edition on a volume license?

1. Waseem Alkurdi

It is indeed. Only Windows 10 Enterprise has a LTSB.

If you have Enterprise (say an activation server on-prem) then you do have Enterprise LTSB as well.

2. big_D Silver badge

I upgradged a Skylake and Coffee Lake laptops and a Ryzen 1700 desktop. No issues so far, although I did get new Intel drivers pushed at me by the manufacturers over the last couple of weeks.

2. John 104

Cancel? Yeah, sure thing, buddy.

This isn't the first time that we've seen the "Click cancel if you want but we are going to do it anyway," feature.

1. The Alphabet

Re: Cancel? Yeah, sure thing, buddy.

Even the restart option has that "feature" now - if it hangs waiting for something to close and you click cancel it jumps to RESTARTING and reboots anyway.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Trollface

s/Cancel/F*** YOU/ <-- what MS needs to do for their 'cancel' button

1. eldakka
          Facepalm

s/Cancel/F*** YOU/ <-- what MS needs to do for their 'cancel' button
          that might not work too well.

Probably want 's/Cancel/F\*\*\* YOU/', or perhaps even better, 's/Cancel/FUCK YOU/' so you don't have to bother escaping the '*'.

2. herman

I thought it was Abort, Retry or Fail. What is this Cancel thing. Is it an upgraded Any key?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

I thought it was Abort, Retry or Fail. What is this Cancel thing. Is it an upgraded Any key?

Actually, it changes one option to become Abort, Retry or Panic.

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Even the restart option has that "feature" now - if it hangs waiting for something to close and you click cancel it jumps to RESTARTING and reboots anyway.

A shutdown /a worked - for the rest of the shift, it rebooted overnight anyway.

2. fidodogbreath

A particularly stunning bit of interface design means that clicking "Confirm" on the warning screen will actually cause the update to install regardless.

So, the person who designed the GWX prompt still works there.

3. Baldrickk

rushed

Isn't this the update that they rushed out because there was very little in it without going through the usual process?

Surprise meter has a low reading.

Holmes

Re: rushed

Article: driver problems that "end up sending CPU usage skyrocketing and battery life plummeting."

I've seen SIMILAR problems within UWP [CR]apps in general, including some of the built-ins. I reported this problem during the insider program.

There's an internal architectural problem within UWP itself. Applications tend to "CPU spin" on conditions they are waiting for. It could be one of the 'WaitForXXXObject[Ex]' functions, it could be the use of 'Sleep' with a 0 value (for some reason quoting the function call tripped a security blockage) or even 'yield' doing it.

This problem also exists in POSIX systems when you return immediately from things like 'poll' and loop without using delays. In the POSIX world, though, your polling loop can use 'usleep()' which is in microseconds [no guarantee it'll be "that long", it's somewhat 'advisory'].

NOW - if _THIS_ is at the core of the problem, then it's a MAJOR ARCHITECTURAL SNAFU and Micro-shaft basically has NOT listened to *ME* on this. I know I'm right because it's measurable and I even posted the measurements, got hammered and discredited and ONE particular fanboi was even getting PERSONAL over it all. [This is how they react when faced with 'OBVIOUSLY WRONG'].

Hey Microshaft: SEE! I! TOLD! YOU! SO!!!

And so FINALLY someone wrote a driver with the SAME! KINDS! of assumptions as the main loops in UWP [CR]apps. Yeah, maybe it only showed up IN A VM when I was testing it, but it REALLY means they aren't TESTING AT ALL.

So yeah - 'rushed' aka "being cheap" and your QUALITY GOES DOWN.

icon because: to the REST of us (aka 'not Micro-shaft'), it's OBVIOUS.

1. matjaggard

Ah, Bob, I've not seen your capital letters for a while. Have you been away or have I been reading different articles?

Devil

"I've not seen your capital letters for a while"

why, are you one of my fans? Welcome aboard!

Funny, they do the same thing (capitalization and punctuation for emphasis) over at El Reg. I've seen it on occasion.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

YES.

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

"Funny, they do the same thing (capitalization and punctuation for emphasis) over at El Reg. I've seen it on occasion."

So does the Daily Express, and I only know this because it keeps rearing its ugly head in my Google News aggregate feed, strangely their Planet Nibiru articles keep appearing in the science section. Apparently science means something different now...

Obligatory Bill Hicks Quote:

Marketing and Advertising types, KYS

3. eldakka

I prefer to use italics (aka: emphasis) or bold (aka: strong) instead of UPPERCASE as I find it more readable, and less 'shouty'. Of course, if you want to just piss people off, maybe use subscript to write the entire post in or alternatively superscript.

2. Jeffrey Nonken

I saw him being completely wrong in response to an article yesterday, so I suspect it's the latter.

Meh

" completely wrong"

your opinion has been noted, and rejected.

4. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

One way of getting round the problem with edge not working would be to install chrome or Firefox. Isn’t that the first thing you do with Edge, aka the chrome downloader?

1. LenG

Edge?

What is Edge?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Edge?

"What is Edge?"

The faster browser than Chrome thats not quite as much spyware by design. And with u-block origin its very nice to use.

Coat

"What is Edge"

a) U2's guitar player?

b) The main character in 'Star Ocean: The Last Hope'?

c) something that "edgers" strive for?

(coat, please)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

More likely a subliminal reference to the "edge" of the firmament, which in the flat earth would be surrounding the antarctic and above our heads all the time.

You can see why it hasnt caught on, doesnt necessarily make it any less true however.

2. N2

Re: Re: Edge?

The faster browser than Chrome thats not quite as much spyware by design. And with u-block origin its very nice to use.

AC, That's some fairly powerful stuff you are snorting.

1. slartybartfast

Apparently the security settings in Edge (do not track, block third party cookies etc.) are the least effective of the main browsers. I read this in an article browser comparison (sorry don't have a link to the site). It stated in Edge, many of them simply don't work, especially 'block third party cookies'.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Edge, Microsoft's enhanced, faster browser. So good that it breaks Microsoft S/MIME in Microsoft Outlook Web Access and Citrix listener. And ever so helpfully adds itself back to the quick launch bar.

3. JohnFen

"thats not quite as much spyware by design"

Oh? Why do you think that?

1. matjaggard

Re: Edge? Snorting?

It might have been Kool-aid.

2. Thunderpants

"thats not quite as much spyware by design"

It might not have as much spyware by design (dunno, I've not really looked into it) but I can say having installed it on a VM yesterday, it's on a par with Google for shoving advertising down your throat.

Congratulations - you've installed the upgrade successfully - by the way, here's MSN spam spam.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

While Edge problems are unlikely to trouble the vast majority of users, who only venture into it to download a competing browser

You're kidding. I sideloaded Firefox from a USB stick.

1. Hans 1

You're kidding. I sideloaded Firefox from a USB stick.

I use Invoke-WebRequest from Powershell .... used to use ftp.exe before that ... I sometimes have Edge start, though, when silly me forgets that Outlook does not honor Windows settings and uses Edge to open links .... then again, I do not click many links in emails ... and it never gets time to load the page in question, so I am safe ... I think ...

1. Yes Me Silver badge

What's "Outlook"?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Edge? What's "Outlook"?

The one piece of software that keeps Windows on my desktop.

Twenty-five years of emails, appointments, calendar items (never forget the Mother In Law's birthday) and contacts, all in an integrated package.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Twenty-five years of...

There are people using Outlook that can use it year in, year out, without problem. It's when the user happens to trigger one of the design flaws of Outlook is when the troubles begin. Going "oversize" was the most obvious of those triggers, but MS have now raised that bar, making it statistically less likely.

MS use the "foie gras" technique of storing messages in the repository. Only after the message has been stored is the user made aware that the message store has gone over size and special tools need to be applied to it in order for it to resume working - tools (provided by MS in lieu of a means to prevent the problem happening in the first instance) which can result in loss of data. Other mail clients check boundary conditions *before* inserting messages into the message repository.

Well-meaning malware-checkers can also interfere with Outlook's mode of operation. To ensure Outlook doesn't do anything naughty malware checkers monitor Outlook so tightly that loss of messages and freezing are common-place.

Though this isn't Outlook's fault per se, it is because of such things as the capability Outlook has of being able to be "driven" by third-party apps that cause malware checkers deep distrust of Outlook.

So by all means use Outlook, but complacency is bad: take regular backups of your PST's, and keep the PST size small.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

What's "Outlook"?

Microsoft Outlook, also known as Microsoft Outrage. E-mail client that borks itself and its profile at random times, in really exotic ways.

Typically, after receiving a "feature upgrade".

Does anyone remember NT4 service pack 6? Followed by service pack 6a. Followed by a string of hotfixes...

2. Yes Me Silver badge

"I sideloaded Firefox"

Waterfox rocks, if you don't like the Firefox nannies.

5. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

@Anonymous Coward

How's the weather there in Redmond? Nice enough to sit outside on your astro-turf?

6. fidodogbreath

thats not quite as much spyware by design

If you don't count the spyware built into Windows 10 itself, I suppose.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: What is Edge?

Something you will find on a Surface.

Soon they will be selling their Hardware in your local Corner Shop.

2. jelabarre59

One way of getting round the problem with edge not working would be to install chrome or Firefox. Isn’t that the first thing you do with Edge, aka the chrome downloader?

Don't even need Edge for that. Just install Chocolatey, then from an elevated command prompt, type "choco install -y waterfox".

5. iromko
    WTF?

mapped network drives

The problem with mapped network drives not reconnecting automatically is there in Windows 10, like forever. I believe I saw it occurring even before upgrade to Win10 when I had Win8. So that's hardly a new thing.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like