back to article Ever used an airport lounge printer? You probably don't know how blabby they can be

Privacy consultant and former Internet Architecture Board president Christian Huitema has said he reckons hotspot users should be given better privacy protection. In an informational draft for the Internet Engineering Task Force published yesterday, Huitema explained that DNS Service Discovery (DNS-SD), the protocol that lets …

1. iron Silver badge

If you're worried about privacy why are you printing something on a device you do not control? For that matter why are you connected to a public hotspot in the first place?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

And why the fark do you take your mobile device to an airport to be searched by the TSA if you're so worried about your privacy ?

2. smudge

If you're worried about privacy why are you printing something on a device you do not control?

Exactly. The basics of confidentiality have been overlooked here. Who also has (privileged) access to the server and printer? How long does your document persist in server or printer memory?

I still remember, from many years ago, the look of glee on the face of one of our penetration testers when I told her that the new photocopiers round the office were based on Windows NT and had IP addresses on the internal network.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

How long does your document persist in server or printer memory?

In the case of things like commercial photocopier/printers, for the lifespan of the printer and beyond.

Whatever you send to the printer actually gets converted to a TIFF image and stored on a hard disk inside the unit, and then printed out. The TIFF file persists on the disk after the print job is finished.

Go shopping for a used photocopier/printer and I'll offer you fairly short odds that the hard disk is still in there and it won't have been formatted.

1. LeahroyNake

they call it DOSS

Half right but...

'In the case of things like commercial photocopier/printers, for the lifespan of the printer and beyond.'

Data Overwrite Security System is now included as standard in all new Ricoh devices (for at least 2 years). Additionally you can enable HDD encryption. At the end of machine life or when it gets repurposed to a different site it has a build in HDD wipe facility that comforms to at least UK MOD spec.

Other manufacturers meh, you may be right. All I say is make sure you specify the above on the quote before the install and don't let some idiot sell it on eBay.

1. Daveytay

Re: they call it DOSS

Konica Minolta devices have had this for years too. We turn it on for all our machines before they go out the door, because, why wouldn't you? It doesn't hurt performance of the product.

2. SGJ

Not every document I print is confidential! Sure the point is that you should be able to print a non-confidential document to a public printer without revealing unecessary infomation about the device you are using.

3. katrinab Silver badge

You might trust the owner of the printer with whatever you are printing, but not everyone else on the network with other information.

If you are printing a booking pass at an airport for example, then they have that information anyway.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In my experience, one doesn't need to look as far as an airport printer - there's plenty of information floating around any airport WiFi.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

there's plenty of information floating around any airport WiFi

Which is what WPA3 is intended to address.

3. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      WTF?

@iron

True. But if one can plug a bunch of privacy leaks in any type of network interaction, why would one not?

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: @iron

True. But if one can plug a bunch of privacy leaks in any type of network interaction, why would one not?

I think what was being spoken to is example as it was given in the article rather than the actual need to correct this particular vulnerability. Both are good points. Yes, we should correct flaws where we can, but we should also be cognizant of areas we do not have control over and avoid them when it matters. Good security is really more about implementation - behaviors - than the tech supporting it.

2. Christian Berger

This is, BTW, one reason to have Fax on your Laptop

Thanks to VoIP all you need is a decent Internet connection to send a fax. As most hotels have fax machines, this is a simple and low-fuss way to get something printed. It's also likely to not cost you anything.

1. Danny 14

Re: This is, BTW, one reason to have Fax on your Laptop

good idea. A few years ago we went on a quiet villa holiday flying with ryanair (im only human! sorry!) and got my bag wet on way to villa. return boarding passes ink had run and i didnt fancy the silly charges at return check in (their software wouldn'tinstall on a rooted phone at the time)

Emailed my docs to my dad who did a priority mail to the villa, they arrived 3 days later. It was a small Spanish rental so no IT stuff for miles (and the airmail was cheaper than a taxi to town....)

3. Kientha

Usability > Security

As already mentioned, anyone using an airport printer shouldn't be expecting any privacy of what they print. Surely this is just a classic example of how the system working and being accessible is more important than the system being secure. Even if you made the connection completely secure, what's to stop someone just grabbing it off the printer before you get there? Some printers allow you to reprint stuff stored in memory. You can't know the printer isn't capable of doing that. Anyone who prints sensitive stuff on these printers should be banned from printing things ever. Especially with how easy it is now to get machines with pens for annotating stuff as cheap as a couple hundred quid.

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: Usability > Security

While what you're printing may not be confidential, that doesn't mean you want your device's identity broadcast to all and sundry. Especially when just the act of your device locating potentially available printers might be enough to do it. Opening the print dialog at all may be enough to do that even if you don't print anything.

4. BoldMan

Thumbs up (all 16) for the header pic!

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon